PDA

View Full Version : Overhead squat, how deep ?

SkinnySadMan
10-18-2005, 12:09 AM
How deep do you guys go on OH squats? Is it the same as your normal back squats ? Or is it ass touching calves...but then my knees start crackling and passing my toes?

Sensei
10-18-2005, 04:30 AM
Knees are going to go past the toes on high-bar, close stance squats period. It should not be a problem as long as you don't have knee issues to begin with, are using proper form, and building into it.

Try to videotape your form if you can.

I go as deep as I can on overhead squats (hamstrings on calves).

SkinnySadMan
10-18-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks, I've been doing it wrong the whole time then.

Sensei
10-18-2005, 02:37 PM
I'll probably do some in the next week or two. I'll try to videotape them and post it if I can.

SkinnySadMan
10-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Nice, I'll look forward to it. Or post you OH squat PR video :)

Formless
10-19-2005, 06:37 AM
I go down as far as i can and it seems to work fine so my ass to grass.
Awesome exercise aswell.

Bruise Brubaker
10-19-2005, 11:19 AM
I still don't understand how you can keep the arms back enough while going down. It requires so much flexibility.

Formless
10-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Start off with a low weight or even with an empty bar and you should get used to it after a while, then start adding weight.
And it should help alot with olympic lifts such as clean and snatch because you would be able to go down all the way.
I usually stretch for about 10 minutes before i workout and after.

If you have a problem with flexibility trying stretching in the morning and before you go to bed at night.You should make good progress in a month or so.

Sensei
10-21-2005, 10:20 PM
Nothing impressive - 3 sets of 5 w. 135lbs. I'm so out of shape and out of practice that I'm embarassed to show it, but here it is: http://media.putfile.com/overhead-squat (it will run the smoothest w. the lowest bandwidth setting)

Please ignore my pathetic attempt at power snatches to start the sets...

SkinnySadMan
10-22-2005, 12:42 AM
I'm currently repping out half of what your doing for OH squats. Makes me feel even more pathetic, I mean....really pathetic. :cry:

BTW: You're wearing those special shoes? I also notice your knees are passing your toes, if I do this my knees start to crackle, this is fine right ?

I do my squats (any type) bear footed).

Sensei
10-22-2005, 06:31 AM
I'm currently repping out half of what your doing for OH squats. Makes me feel even more pathetic, I mean....really pathetic. :cry:Don't worry about it. I've seen a lot of very strong guys who couldn't do them properly with just the bar, so if you can do them it means you already have a good amount of coordination and flexibility. Work on your overall body strength and it will probably go up significantly.

BTW: You're wearing those special shoes?I wear Adidas olympic lifting shoes. Pretty expensive, but I love them. I bought them w. the intention of doing more OL training but I basically just use them for squatting...

I also notice your knees are passing your toes, if I do this my knees start to crackle, this is fine right ?Is there any pain or discomfort when this happens? I'm not a doctor, but my knees used to pop a lot when squatting and I never had any issues - that doesn't mean you won't though, so it would probably be a good idea to have an unbiased professional (probably a sports medicine doc) check it out. You might have some underlying joint issues or muscular imbalances that you need to take care of.

Sensei
10-29-2005, 10:04 PM
I do my squats (any type) bear footed).

I'm just noticing this now... I know there are some very, very strong guys who choose to squat and deadlift barefooted, but I really think this is a bad, bad, bad idea.

Nothing to do with shoes, but here's an article about the overhead squat by Dan John: http://danjohn.org/overhead.html