PDA

View Full Version : cutting diet

MJS
10-18-2005, 10:10 AM
I am curious as to whether or not my percentages for carbs, fats, and protien is correct for cutting.

I am 6'1" 190lbs 8% bf, 20 yrs old.

20% carbs 66 grams
48% protein 154 grams
32% fats 46 grams, 12 saturated

1400 calories.

This is with running and stationary bike for 30 minutes, burning 430 total calories.

Lifting every other day, 3 times a week WBB#1.

Let me know if you need additonal information.

getfit
10-18-2005, 10:15 AM
you're cutting on 1400 cals? how you feeling?

MJS
10-18-2005, 10:24 AM
bit tired.

MJS
10-18-2005, 10:25 AM
fitday says that with my activites and lifestyle im burning 3900 give or take a day.

getfit
10-18-2005, 10:26 AM
well, i'd bump it up,protein,fats. Do you run and bike everyday?

Ricochet_kid
10-18-2005, 10:29 AM
You're not eating enough. Eat about 400-500 calories less than your maintenance if you want to cut. IMO, If you eat as little as you say you are eating, your body will think you're starving it. (and it will be right because you are)

ReelBigFish
10-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Yeah up need to up the cals. Eating that few will end up harming your body. You'll start burning muscle instead of fat, your metabolism will slow down a lot and you could do serious harm to your body, ie. DEATH. I'm not joking, this is from someone w/ experience w/ this crap. Don't listen to FITDAY for your amt. of cals. burned. Just focus on your calories(which you need more of) and your body weight and more importably Body fat.

MJS
10-18-2005, 10:35 AM
how many much more should I eat. For example, here is what I am planning on eating today.

Breakfast - bagel with peanut butter
Mid morning - apple and protein shake
Lunch Pre workout - 1 chicken breast
Lunch Post workout - 1 chicken breast protein shake
mid afternoon - peanut butter sandwich, wheat bread.
dinner - chicken ceaser salad.

MJS
10-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Totals 1784 65 107 187
cal fat carbs protein

squat it all!
10-18-2005, 10:38 AM
might i ask why you are cutting at 8% bf? i'd kill for 8%. maybe it's time to bulk? just a humble suggestion...

HILL
10-18-2005, 10:39 AM
realy poor food intake mate im cutting at 3000 cals at the moment. Get them cals upto 2500 for a week see what happends then if if you dnt gain or loose weight take 500 of to loose weight slowly and keep muscle. Keep the protein at 1.5g of protein per pound of bdoyweight and fats atleast 0.5 per pound of lbm

MJS
10-18-2005, 10:40 AM
not sure if that measurement is entirely accurate. It was done with calipers on my thigh, waist, and chest/armpit area. I have a 6 pack but want it to be more clearly defined and my muscles more tone.

Ricochet_kid
10-18-2005, 10:45 AM
how many much more should I eat. For example, here is what I am planning on eating today.

Breakfast - bagel with peanut butter
Mid morning - apple and protein shake
Lunch Pre workout - 1 chicken breast
Lunch Post workout - 1 chicken breast protein shake
mid afternoon - peanut butter sandwich, wheat bread.
dinner - chicken ceaser salad.

check this thread:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=30346&highlight=calculating+maintenance+calories

MJS
10-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the link, Ricochet .. I have a question however. How, by eating more calories, are you going to be able to cut weight? Is it simply a matter of eating better and more nutritional foods.

Also, I am taking mega man daily vitamins - is this benificial to my diet?

Ricochet_kid
10-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the link, Ricochet .. I have a question however. How, by eating more calories, are you going to be able to cut weight? Is it simply a matter of eating better and more nutritional foods.

Also, I am taking mega man daily vitamins - is this benificial to my diet?

If you are not eating enough for your body to maintain its operating functions, and support your activities. Your metabolism will slow down and your body will consume itself trying to keep going, this means it will convert your muscle tissue to energy. Not to mention you'll feel tired and your workouts will suck. (Or at the very least not be as fruitful as they would have been if you were fueling your body properly.) Your body will also not be able to recover as quickly.

If you eat enough for your body to remain healthy and to support your activities your body will be much more likely and 'willing' to discard any fat stores that it is hanging onto. This is done by slightly reducing the amount of calories you consume, not with drastic reductions.

It's easy to think that the results of reducing your food intake versus your weight loss should follow a linear pattern. Fortunately it's not that simple. Your body changes gears to keep itself alive if you push it too hard.

You certainly want to maximize the nutritional benefit from the calories you are eating which is why you should eat foods that provide significant nutritional benefit to you and avoid junk food.

I don't know anything about the specific vitamin you mentioned, I do know that there is a really wide variance in content of different types of vitamins however, so I would sit on the floor at the pharmacy, and start reading the boxes. Taking a daily multi-vitamin is generally recommended among the sources that I've read.

I'm sure there are lots of more scientific articles out there that can provide more complete reasoning for the 'why not to starve yourself' argument, if that would be helpful. Just google it.

Hope this helps.

rookies
10-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Your stats are somewhat similiar to mine.
but man 1400 cal a day??, I'm fighting hunger with merely 2000 cal a day.
500 less than maintainance should be the lowest you wanna be at.

A guy at 30% BF wont have to worry much about losing muscle mass and can cut down on so low cal diet for fastest fat loss.
But 191 lb at 8% BF, you have A LOT of muscle to lose more than fat if you dont take your time, i tell ya.

Built
10-18-2005, 01:58 PM
No KIDDING!

I cut on anything under 1900 a day.

MJS
10-19-2005, 12:21 PM
thanks a lot for the info guys .. im new to the whole bulk and cut ideology. I appreciate the input. I am up around 2550 cals a day now. For example here is my diet from yesterday, let me know if you think its good:

meal 1: toasted bagel with peanut butter
meal 2: protein shake, 4 oz chicken breast, slice of american cheese
meal 3: 6 in tuna salad hoagie
meal 4: protein shake, 4 oz chicken breast, slice of american cheese
meal 5: chicken ceaser salad
meal 6: peanut butter sandwich, GNC smoothie with protein

totals:
cals - 2626
fat - 111 grams 39%
carbs - 153 22%
protein - 246 grams 39%

getfit
10-19-2005, 12:43 PM
are you feeling better?

MJS
10-19-2005, 12:52 PM
much better .. not only am i getting better results at the gym. By the time my third set rolls around i no longer feel like throwing in the towel. Mood is already elevated and post workout into the night I am feeling more energized.

getfit
10-19-2005, 12:53 PM
excellent, eat some cottage cheese before bed with fruit,natty pb