PDA

View Full Version : High Blood Pressure, weight training, and cardio

Wataru Akiyama
10-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Okay, so I got diagnosed with High Blood Pressure. My doctor wants me to lose 22 lbs. and do a lot of Cardio. I'm 5' 7" and 216 lbs. I moved to a new gym and right now I'm trying to plan out a schedule. Should I just do lots of cardio and sacrifice what I worked for or continue lifting, and if so, how should I go about it if I want to put on muscle mass to eat away at the fat?

Patz
10-18-2005, 03:27 PM
What's your bodyfat%???

You talk like you're a lifter, so is this high BP a genetic thing, or are you just overly fat and stressed?

Wataru Akiyama
10-18-2005, 03:30 PM
What's your bodyfat%???

You talk like you're a lifter, so is this high BP a genetic thing, or are you just overly fat and stressed?

I've got some annoying belly fat but not much else. I don't know my bodyfat%. I barely get any sleep, and it runs in the family. My uncle have it, my grandfather has it, my aunt has it....
:cry:

Patz
10-18-2005, 03:48 PM
If it's genetic, there may not be a whole lot you can do about it. you can drop the weight, and hang on to most of your muslce with something like the UD2 diet. Or, do a sloooow cut at 500cals under maintenance level.

[[[----]]]
10-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Do the heavy lifting still (maybe circuit style lifting), and throw in the cardio like three times a week. Do you eat clean foods?

Wataru Akiyama
10-18-2005, 09:32 PM
]]']Do the heavy lifting still (maybe circuit style lifting), and throw in the cardio like three times a week. Do you eat clean foods?

Yeah, mostly. Sometimes I can't get anything to eat except fast food, as I"m out of my house a lot.

Also, how can I avoid getting back pain?

d'Anconia
10-18-2005, 10:46 PM
I recommend you try to eliminate those fast-food meals as best you can. As for the back pain, see your doctor because unless you give us quite a bit more info it'll be hard for any of us to diagnose.

Sensei
10-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Also, how can I avoid getting back pain?

Being overweight will definately not help your back. A decent bed can do wonders. Get VERY familiar with core work.

edit: Of course, proper planning/periodization of training and proper form are critical too...

Built
10-18-2005, 10:51 PM
No circuits!

You need short, heavy, intense lifting sets now more than ever if you're planning to cut.

Get your food dialled in, drop some bodyfat, do a bit of strategic cardio. But by all means continue to lift.

Sensei
10-18-2005, 10:52 PM
No circuits!
You need short, heavy, intense lifting sets now more than ever if you're planning to cut.
Get your food dialled in, drop some bodyfat, do a bit of strategic cardio. But by all means continue to lift.

There are a milllion different ways to organize circuit training Built. Not necessarily a bad thing...

Built
10-18-2005, 10:54 PM
No, they're not necessarily a bad thing, but if you're trying to drop bodyfat and keep LBM, circuits are not your best friends.

Sensei
10-18-2005, 11:01 PM
You can organize circuits so that you are doing heavy lifting interspaced w. light activities (like walking). It's nothing more than a different way to organize your training session. The problem is that the traditional way of looking at circuits is light, high-rep work w. short rest intervals between exercises. Siff has a great section on circuit training in his book "Supertraining".

Built
10-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Why would you want to do something to conserve LBM, like low-calorie strength-training, in short, heavy sets where you need all your juice to do it, while burning off that very same juice doing cardio between sets?

I can see doing this as effective cardio - I've done it myself from time to time - but once every week or two. And I didn't really consider it part of my weight training.

Wataru Akiyama
10-18-2005, 11:13 PM
I recommend you try to eliminate those fast-food meals as best you can. As for the back pain, see your doctor because unless you give us quite a bit more info it'll be hard for any of us to diagnose.

Nah, I don't have back pain now, I just want to know how to avoid it. (excluding proper form, got that under control)

Anyway, yeah, I gotta start removing the fast food from my diet.

Sensei
10-19-2005, 05:08 AM
Why would you want to do something to conserve LBM, like low-calorie strength-training, in short, heavy sets where you need all your juice to do it, while burning off that very same juice doing cardio between sets?

I can see doing this as effective cardio - I've done it myself from time to time - but once every week or two. And I didn't really consider it part of my weight training.

Built,
I don't think you're listening to what I've said. Circuit training is simply another way to organize your training session. You can vary the rest intervals, intensity and exercise selection to your heart's content. I gave walking as an example of something you could do inbetween heavy sets, but you could lean against a smith machine or stretch if you wanted. Hell, one of your stations could be "Drink protein drink" if wanted.

But, as far as walking goes (and I'm not talking about power walking), I don't know many who are completely immobile between sets. I don't think most of us are worried about walking ruining our training sets.

Wataru Akiyama
10-19-2005, 06:56 AM
I can currently bench 120 in one rep. I've been working out at a small PT-only gym for 6 months, and then I moved to a larger gym where I work out on my own. I just want to get toned and build up my strength, and control my blood pressure..

My waist size is 40" if that helps.

bobk07
10-19-2005, 11:02 AM
Do a good deal or cardio. Right now the muscle you should be most concerned with is the heart. Cardio will help you loose weight and will greatly benifit you cardiovasularly. Id say lift 3 times a week and try to run a few miles 3-4 times a week.

Wataru Akiyama
10-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Do a good deal or cardio. Right now the muscle you should be most concerned with is the heart. Cardio will help you loose weight and will greatly benifit you cardiovasularly. Id say lift 3 times a week and try to run a few miles 3-4 times a week.

Will do. :cool: Thanks.

Built
10-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Built,
I don't think you're listening to what I've said. Circuit training is simply another way to organize your training session. You can vary the rest intervals, intensity and exercise selection to your heart's content. I gave walking as an example of something you could do inbetween heavy sets, but you could lean against a smith machine or stretch if you wanted. Hell, one of your stations could be "Drink protein drink" if wanted.

But, as far as walking goes (and I'm not talking about power walking), I don't know many who are completely immobile between sets. I don't think most of us are worried about walking ruining our training sets.

I did indeed listen to what you said. You suggested walking between sets, and I disagreed, from a muscle-preservation standpoint.

I sometimes do supersets or giant sets in my training, so I'm well aware that there are ways to incorporate these paradigms into one's training.

What is your thinking regarding doing circuits rather than regular lifting in this particular instance? I'm not dissing you here - I'm just curious as to how you think this may be beneficial over, say, "regular" (ie non-circuit, resting between sets...) weight training.

djreef
10-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Y'all are splitting hairs. It's 6 of one, half dozen.....

Wataru - you may try supplementing fish oil and niacin. I'd start with 500mg of niacin in the AM. 4 grams of fish oil in the AM 4 grams in the PM. Niacin acts as a vasodialator (hence the flush) and fish oil acts as a natural cardiovascular anti-inflamatory. You may be able to dial your meds back (if you're currently taking any) while supplementing these. Also, you definitely want to ELIMINATE hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup from your diet. They only act to inflame your circulatory system - not good. You're going to have to read labels because this crap is hidden in everything these days. Healthy fats only.

DJ

Sensei
10-21-2005, 11:14 AM
I did indeed listen to what you said. You suggested walking between sets, and I disagreed, from a muscle-preservation standpoint.

I sometimes do supersets or giant sets in my training, so I'm well aware that there are ways to incorporate these paradigms into one's training.

What is your thinking regarding doing circuits rather than regular lifting in this particular instance? I'm not dissing you here - I'm just curious as to how you think this may be beneficial over, say, "regular" (ie non-circuit, resting between sets...) weight training.

First of all, I'm sorry I sounded like such a condescending pri**. I didn't mean to.

Secondly, I think we just differ in what we believe constitutes "circuit training". In my mind, giant sets could be considered a circuit by itself and resting can definately be incorporated into a circuit.

The main advantage, IMHO, of circuits would be using limited time, weights, machines, etc efficiently. Also, it's a really nice way of incorporating a lot of disparate training means into a single training session. It can be an easy way of training large groups - there is a lot less down time and no one is standing around wondering what they should be doing next.

I don't have Siff in front of me, but if you have any interest (and I won't be offended if you don't) I can type up a summary of what he says about it later.

Sensei
10-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Y'all are splitting hairs. It's 6 of one, half dozen.....
DJ

I think the subject of circuit training is worth discussion. Perhaps you don't and that's fine.

Probably would've been a good idea to create a separate thread however...

djreef
10-21-2005, 12:18 PM
No, quite the contrary. Both sides as far as I can see are right, to a great degree. Valid points on both sides. Different means to the same end, but perhaps labored a bit - my concern was that someone might get pissed.

DJ

Built
10-22-2005, 12:11 AM
Thanks Sensei, for the clarification. Much obliged.

I think I may be overly sensitive to the word "circuit" - women often get herded into circuit-training that's really nothing more than glorified cardio. I hadn't considered it the way you're suggesting - hell, I may try it. It could allow for better rest between sets when doing short, heavy sets.

Stumprrp
10-22-2005, 07:06 AM
i would still lift man, and do different types of cardio every time, one day like a mile run, one day HIIT, one day uphill. i also have 140 / 90 BP which is from my weight, well and family, but it is getting better. good luck.