PDA

View Full Version : Cardio with workout

MalteseAnimal
10-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Hey all,

edit:this thread may be more apporopriate in this forum

Anyways - Well, I've been using WBB1 for about 3 months now. I have noticed decent gains. I don't see any physical change yet though, but that may just be from my viewpoint.

My original goal was to gain(or maintain) muscle, but lose fat by lifting heavy and lifting hard. Anyways, that's not panning out. I don't think I'm losing much body fat.

My question is, can I do 30-60mins of Cardio after every workout? Or should I do cardio on off days?

Built
10-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Neither.

Fix your diet first.

How are you eating now?

MalteseAnimal
10-18-2005, 03:38 PM
My diet is fine, and it has been for the last 3 months. I did a lot of research on diet and nutrition before I even started working out.

Built
10-18-2005, 03:41 PM
If your diet is fine, you will have no problems losing fat.

MalteseAnimal
10-18-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm simply asking if I can incorporate cardio into my workout. I'm not losing fat by just weight lifting.

Built
10-18-2005, 03:55 PM
No, and you won't lose fat by simply weightlifting, either. Nobody does.

You lose fat when two things happen:

1. You create a caloric deficit, and therefore lose weight
2. You lift freakishly heavy things, and convince your body that you really DO need all that metabolically expensive muscle, so your body grudgingly drops fat.

If you're not dropping fat, you are eating too much.

Unreal
10-18-2005, 04:09 PM
If your diet is good, then what are your macros for the past week. An average will do fine. Past month? Past 3 months?

MalteseAnimal
10-18-2005, 06:10 PM
I'm telling you my diet is good. All I am asking is, can/should I/one incorporate cardio into my/their workout? If you can't answer this question.. please don't respond at all. This is a little ridiculous. I've asked only a simple quetsion.

Built
10-18-2005, 06:13 PM
I got really, really fat on a "good" diet.

We need to know what you're eating. Cardio does NOT lean you out.

Unreal
10-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Well, considering weight loss is 100% diet, and you haven't lost weight, then I would say its not good.

MalteseAnimal
10-18-2005, 06:19 PM
I eat only healthy. I eat a lot of green, high protein, low carb meals mostly. Usually eat a good breakfast with a vegetable mix drink (made by me with a juicer). Lunch is mostly chicken, salads, etc. Dinner is usually around the same. Nothing deep fried, or fast foods, etc..

Random snacks during the day, fruits, vege's, natPB.

As for supplements, I take protein shakes. I also make sure I take my vitamins.

I don't keep track of my diet as most of you do. I simply don't have the time. That does not mean that I should not be able to achieve my goals.

MalteseAnimal
10-18-2005, 06:20 PM
Well, considering weight loss is 100% diet, and you haven't lost weight, then I would say its not good.

Are you sure about that?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-18-2005, 06:24 PM
I don't keep track of my diet as most of you do. I simply don't have the time. That does not mean that I should not be able to achieve my goals.You don't track your diet and you say this shouldn't keep you from achieving your goals, yet you're not seeing the results you want and asking us for advice, which you are not taking.

You should track your diet on FitDay.com (http://www.fitday.com) for a week or two and let us see what your diet is like. Caloric manipulation plays a big role when you're trying to cut the fat or gain weight.

Well, considering weight loss is 100% diet, and you haven't lost weight, then I would say its not good.Um...I don't agree. Diet and Exercise are the key ingredients.

MalteseAnimal
10-18-2005, 06:34 PM
You don't track your diet and you say this shouldn't keep you from achieving your goals, yet you're not seeing the results you want and asking us for advice, which you are not taking.

You should track your diet on FitDay.com (http://www.fitday.com) for a week or two and let us see what your diet is like. Caloric manipulation plays a big role when you're trying to cut the fat or gain weight.

Um...I don't agree. Diet and Exercise are the key ingredients.

Yes, that is what I say. Just beacuse I don't track my diet to a tee doesn't mean I can't acheive my goals. I've talked to MANY MANY people at my gym - and none of them track their diet. I don't have the time to track it - as I am very busy. Once again, I only asked a simple question.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-18-2005, 06:38 PM
I don't have time either, but I do it anyway since it's one of the most important aspects of proper dieting. If you don't want help then don't ask for advice. It doesn't matter that you're eating healthy. You have to know exactly how much you're eating in order to make changes if you're not seeing the results you want. How can you possibly make changes to your diet, with trial and error, if you have no idea how much food you're eating? Short answer...you can't.

Built
10-18-2005, 06:38 PM
WEIGHT loss is virtually 100% diet.

FAT loss is caloric restriction with heavy lifting.

Cardio lets you cut calories slightly less while you do this.

I've met a few people who don't track their diets and who look amazing. But I've seen a lot MORE people who train their asses off and don't track diet, and they look like crap.

You can NOT cardio off your diet.

Trust me.

I tried for about 20 years.

And I ate really healthy - no processed foods, everything made from scratch, made my own organic multigrain bread...

I was about 40% bodyfat four years ago, eating my "healthy" diet and running 10k 3x a week.

The only thing that got it off me was tracking my food and heavy lifting.

You may be different. If you're a genetic freak. In which point, I shall hate you.

;)

Good luck. Try it your way. If it doesn't work, let us know if we can help you with your diet.

MalteseAnimal
10-18-2005, 06:44 PM
I don't have time either, but I do it anyway since it's one of the most important aspects of proper dieting. If you don't want help then don't ask for advice. It doesn't matter that you're eating healthy. You have to know exactly how much you're eating in order to make changes if you're not seeing the results you want. How can you possibly make changes to your diet, with trial and error, if you have no idea how much food you're eating? Short answer...you can't.

Nono you don't seem to understand, I DON'T HAVE THE TIME. And yes, I am asking for advice. Everyone's different, and has a different life. If you're not going to give me any decent advice for WHAT I'M ASKING FOR, then don't post? But thanks, anyways.

WEIGHT loss is virtually 100% diet.

FAT loss is caloric restriction with heavy lifting.

Cardio lets you cut calories slightly less while you do this.

I've met a few people who don't track their diets and who look amazing. But I've seen a lot MORE people who train their asses off and don't track diet, and they look like crap.

You can NOT cardio off your diet.

Trust me.

I tried for about 20 years.

And I ate really healthy - no processed foods, everything made from scratch, made my own organic multigrain bread...

I was about 40% bodyfat four years ago, eating my "healthy" diet and running 10k 3x a week.

The only thing that got it off me was tracking my food and heavy lifting.

You may be different. If you're a genetic freak. In which point, I shall hate you.

Good luck. Try it your way. If it doesn't work, let us know if we can help you with your diet.

Thanks, Built.

MalteseAnimal
10-18-2005, 06:47 PM
My older brother did not change his diet at all. He just started running. Same with my cousin. They both eat like me.. healthy. They started running and lost a lot of fat. My brother lost about 20lbs so far. My cousin.. she lost an incredible amount of weight. She was overweight. Now she is not at all..

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-18-2005, 06:51 PM
If you're not going to give me any decent advice for WHAT I'M ASKING FOR, then don't post?You're not giving me much to work with saying that you "eat healthy". I wouldn't mind at all giving you helpful advice, but I'd need more info than that.

My older brother did not change his diet at all. He just started running. Same with my cousin. They both eat like me.. healthy. They started running and lost a lot of fat. My brother lost about 20lbs so far. My cousin.. she lost an incredible amount of weight. She was overweight. Now she is not at all..They are lucky, indeed.

Built
10-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Maltese, if you started this thread to hear a bunch of success stories from people who cardiod off their fatness, you've come to the wrong place. Most of us have learned the hard way that this doesn't work for many people. It can SEEM to, for a while, but you tend to drop a LOT of LBM when you rely upon cardio for fat loss.

When this happens, you will find a tendency to gain the weight back, and it usually brings friends.

I lived this way for almost 20 years. I'm not making it up.

The people who seem to be able to cardio it off are usually young. I was able to, when I was young. But it set me up for a long hard fight to get my metabolism working again.

We're all trying to give you the best possible advise.

I would urge you to consider hearing it.

Unreal
10-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Cardio burns calories. If you eat more calories then you take in, then you will gain weight. Doesn't matter if you run 20 miles a day, doing 8-10 hours of cardio a day. If you eat more then you burn then you will not lose weight. In the ammount of time you've taken to read/respond and type in this thread, you could have counted your daily cals. Maybe you don't have to make it a lifestyle, but do it for 4-5 days to atleast get an idea of how many calories you take in.

I find it ALOT easier to spend 5 minutes a day adding calories, then an hour on a threadmill. If you don't have time to count calories, how do you possably have time to do cardio?

Healthy doesn't mean anything for weight loss. Its all about ammount. 4000 calories of healthy food is still 4000 calories.

anasthetic
10-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Maybe you don't have to make it a lifestyle, but do it for 4-5 days to atleast get an idea of how many calories you take in.

This is very true. Here is how I figured it out for myself. For a couple weeks I tracked my calories and figured out a number I was going to cut at, for me about 2000 calories. Then I figured I would be eating about 5 meals a day. So I just divide 2000/5 which is 400 calories per meal.

For most foods we eat it is fairly easy to either know or estimate the calories. For instance, it takes me about 45 seconds to determine that my turkey sandwhich with 2 slices whole wheat bread, 4 pieces of turkey and a small apple is about 350 calories. Add in some fresh veggies and I've got a great meal which fits into my daily caloric needs.

Built
10-18-2005, 08:02 PM
I find it ALOT easier to spend 5 minutes a day adding calories, then an hour on a threadmill. If you don't have time to count calories, how do you possably have time to do cardio?

Good point!