PDA

View Full Version : Bulking, how fast do you gain body fat?

Nongan
10-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Hey guys, I was going to start a bulk soon, but I wanted to know how fast you guys put on body fat on a bulk. I am currently 9% body fat or so, but I don't want to get above 12 or 13% body fat. How much weight could I put on before I got to that body fat at 5'10" and 146 pounds?

Slim Schaedle
10-18-2005, 08:01 PM
The only way to know is to do it. Everyone's body responds slightly different than someone else. Knowing how your body will react is just a matter of experience and trial and error.

Nongan
10-18-2005, 11:05 PM
ok, thanks. i was just wondering cause I'm hoping to put on at least 30 pounds after i cut, but i don't think i can deal with being above 13 or 14% body fat.

Sidior
10-19-2005, 12:20 AM
the slower/cleaner you bulk the less fat gain you will have...aside from that what slim schaedle said

Built
10-19-2005, 12:24 AM
Yep.

The leaner you are going into a bulk, the better your partitioning will be toward LBM.

If you think of every day as the first day of your bulk, the leaner you stay througout, the better your partioning will be the whole time. Tricky balance point, though - you don't want to limit your growth, but you don't want to turn into a complete fatass either.

<closes calculus text book>

M.J.H.
10-19-2005, 06:06 PM
It depends how clean your diet is. :)

Unreal
10-19-2005, 06:14 PM
If you start getting too fat, either slow down, or begin to cut. If your goal is to put on 30lbs of lean mass, then maybe do two bulk/cut cycles. Put on 25lbs, then cut back down, then put on another 20lbs, and cut back down.

And calculus isn't needed, just some basic algebra.

Slim Schaedle
10-19-2005, 06:17 PM
It depends how clean your diet is. :)
Somewhat.

That is just one piece of the puzzle. Someone could have a pretty "dirty" diet and stay lean, while the next person could be pretty clean (for example, higher carb, higher protein, lower fat) and still pack on the fat.

Imo, a "clean" diet is pretty relative. Clean for me is low fat. Clean for Built is lower carb, higher fat.

Unless you mean "clean" as in non-fast food. Then I guess the term changes meaning.

Now That I have severely overanalyzed this...carry on.

Nongan
10-19-2005, 08:30 PM
thanks guys. so i think i'm gonna aim for maybe two bulk cycles as unreal suggested, and try and keep it as "clean" and slow as possible, while still putting on mass. My only other question is, my metabolism is very very fast, like last night i put on 3 pounds (team dinner for soccer, i stuffed my face with teryaki chicken) but today the weight was all gone. Is that because I ate it all in one night, and not over the entire week, or do I just need to eat a ton more?

ryuage
10-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Yep.

The leaner you are going into a bulk, the better your partitioning will be toward LBM.

If you think of every day as the first day of your bulk, the leaner you stay througout, the better your partioning will be the whole time. Tricky balance point, though - you don't want to limit your growth, but you don't want to turn into a complete fatass either.

<closes calculus text book>

do you have any refrences stating the leaner you are going into the bulk the better your partitioning would be? As far as I know the only studies done were on those who were already to lean to begin with, what if someone who was once fat diets down to uber leaness, will he partition calories better this time around? In my case, I dont find it to be true :D

Jorge Sanchez
10-19-2005, 10:18 PM
thanks guys. so i think i'm gonna aim for maybe two bulk cycles as unreal suggested, and try and keep it as "clean" and slow as possible, while still putting on mass. My only other question is, my metabolism is very very fast, like last night i put on 3 pounds (team dinner for soccer, i stuffed my face with teryaki chicken) but today the weight was all gone. Is that because I ate it all in one night, and not over the entire week, or do I just need to eat a ton more?

Actually it is because your body digested the food. Do you think the weight of the food you eat gets put on your body? I gain up to 8lbs in one day from the food I eat, and then it is all gone the next day.

Gaining weight is a slow process. It's not going to happen overnight.