PDA

View Full Version : My Diet--I'm Cutting--some advice?

ShadyRensch
10-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Hi, I have been "trying" to cut for the past few weeks. I find myself making some strides I think. I'm currently trying to form a 4-day Split that targets each muscle in my body. On Wednesdays I will be doing a lot of cardio. And mixing in cardio/abs on the other days as well.

I'm still trying to figure out if I'm eating right. I've been eating anywhere between 1600-2000 cals each day. I just put a link to my fitday in my signature, and was going to see if you could help me decide. I'm 6'0'', 190ish, and I'm not sure my BF%. But I want to cut my fat, and maintain my muscle.

Thanks! Any advice on a workout would be great too. I've been lifting for a relatively good while, I just need to figure out a good split, I now realize 5 days a week isn't good.

Nongan
10-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Generally, for a workout, just push it hard. Try to hit every muscle group hard. Include some work outs that hit many different muscles at once, like squats, bench, cleans, deadlift, etc. As for how much your eating, just judge how fast your losing. I'm pretty sure a general rule is a pound a week or so, so adjust your calories to match that. If you find yourself losing strength, try to raise the calories maybe 100-200 a day, so you lose mostly fat, and not muscle.

Y0yo
10-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Diet - What are your maintenance cals? Whatever they are drop them by 300~500 and continue until you stop losing weight. Be sure to get in 1~1.5grams of protein for each lbs of LBM (Lean Body Mass) or your desirded LBM. Get in 0.5 grams of healthy dietary fat. Fill the rest with whatever you like, and try to get your carbs before and after you lift.

Routine - If you're not sure about your routine then do WBB#1. You'll find it HERE (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25). I don't know much about setting up my own routine so I won't give any advice further than that.

ShadyRensch
10-18-2005, 10:07 PM
I never really knew my maintenance cals because this is my first time doing a real "calorie counting" diet. I did weight watchers before this to lose the bulk of my fat. Now I'm "toning."

DoUgL@S
10-18-2005, 10:23 PM
If you are not doing "real calorie counting," then you are not dieting intelligently. Keep a journal for a week of everything you eat, if the weiht remains the same those are your maintenance cals, if you gain you are eating too much if you loose then you are where you want to be, and go from there.

ShadyRensch
10-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Well that was before 3 weeks ago, I am now doing Fitday.com. I've been eating about 1800-1900 Cals for the last 3 weeks, and I don't think I'm losing anything, kinda frustrating cuz I lift and do cardio as well.

DoUgL@S
10-19-2005, 01:36 AM
So what are your maintenance calories?

Built
10-19-2005, 01:43 AM
Just taking a quick scan of your fitday...

If I can make a few suggestions...

Your fats are far too low. Double them, drop your carbs back. Fish oil - I take 10g daily. I'd suggest something similar, if not more for you since you're bigger than me.

Can you describe your workout routine?

ShadyRensch
10-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Ok, carbs to what? Here's the gist of my workout.

Monday/Thursday-Chest/Bi's/Tri's
Bench
Incline Dumbells
Decline Dumbells
Seated Barbell Curls
Seated Incline Dumbell Curls
Skullcrushers
Rope Pushdown
-some cardio

Tuesday/Friday-Legs/Back/Shoulders
Squat
Leg Extension
Leg Curls
Straight Leg Dead
Calves on Leg Press Machine
Seated Rows
Tricep Pulldown (behind head)
Machine where you bend at the waist w/ 45 lb. plate (Back extensions?)
Military Press
Shrugs
Flyes

Wednesday/Saturday/Sunday: Off from lifting
-Cardio/Abs