PDA

View Full Version : When dropping BF

Y0yo
10-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Person A is 300lbs at 30+% bf with maintenance calories of 4000.
Person B is 200lbs at 20% bf with maintenance calories of 3000.

Would both person A and person B fall into the same category of dropping 10% below maintenance cals in order to drop weight? Or because of the high bf% could person A drop them even further than 10% (Say 20 or 30%) and lose weight faster without any negative effects?

I understand that the idea is to lose weight slowly, but I'm also wondering if the same rules apply for someone obese, or over 30%bf?

HILL
10-19-2005, 03:07 AM
It depends on the person the reason we say on this site to drop cals by 10% is to help preserve as much lbm as possible. If person A and B are not weightlifters and like the average person do not care about how much muscle they keep then both can drop cals by more than 10% however if they have been weight training then 10% cal reduction is a goal for both to hit first as it will help keep muscle. I think person a will loose more weight than person B on just a 10% reduction anyway due to his high bf

Manveet
10-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Person A is 300lbs at 30+% bf with maintenance calories of 4000.
Person B is 200lbs at 20% bf with maintenance calories of 3000.

Would both person A and person B fall into the same category of dropping 10% below maintenance cals in order to drop weight? Or because of the high bf% could person A drop them even further than 10% (Say 20 or 30%) and lose weight faster without any negative effects?

I understand that the idea is to lose weight slowly, but I'm also wondering if the same rules apply for someone obese, or over 30%bf?

Yes, the fatter person could create a larger deficit and lose more body fat without the consequence of muscle loss (in most cases).

It's when you start to get down to the lower bf levels (15% and below that muscle loss becomes a problem). At least, this is my understanding.

Y0yo
10-19-2005, 10:09 PM
Yes, the fatter person could create a larger deficit and lose more body fat without the consequence of muscle loss (in most cases).

It's when you start to get down to the lower bf levels (15% and below that muscle loss becomes a problem). At least, this is my understanding.

Just wondering, is there science behind this? The reasons why an obese person can drop more without (In most casese) a real worry for muscle loss. I don't want to give this advice and then not be able to back it up.