PDA

View Full Version : Protein and kidneys...

Aikidoguy
10-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Hi guys, does protein shut down your kidneys someone told me that once and I thought it was a load of crap... what do you think??

Andrew

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-19-2005, 04:21 PM
It's a load of crap. Unless you already have pre-existing kidney problems, you have nothing to worry about.

Unreal
10-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Come on. If that was true we would all be dead. Protein is just food. Thats it. Chicken/steak/meat/dairy etc are all protein. Do you kidneys fail from eating chicken?

Aikidoguy
10-19-2005, 05:57 PM
ohh, thanks guys for the reply's.. peace..

Andrew

anasthetic
10-19-2005, 07:39 PM
I have been told by a doctor that the amount of protein that most body builders eat is bad for their kidneys. Obviously the kidneys will not "shut down" from this much protein, but over time I guess some kind of damage could be occuring.

Regardless, the situation can be greatly helped or perhaps totally remedied by drinking boat loads of water throughout the day. For me, peeing 14 times a day is part of the "body building life style" :)

Shao-LiN
10-19-2005, 09:45 PM
Hi guys, does protein shut down your kidneys someone told me that once and I thought it was a load of crap... what do you think??

Andrew

I would love to meet this person that told you this. That is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life.

ShockBoxer
10-20-2005, 08:19 AM
http://www.google.ca/search?q=protein+kidney+damage&hl=en&lr=&start=0&sa=N

The consensus, after reading the summaries of the first few pages of hits, seems to be that if you HAVE kidney damage high protein will not do you any favors.

So if you're diabetic... well... watch out. But that's nothing new.

jamrock
10-21-2005, 10:30 AM
This came up when the Atkins diet became the new fad, people with kidney problems would not drink enough water and be on low carb, high fat/protein diets and they would go into renal failure.

You should not worry about it if you drink plenty of water and have no pre-existing conditions.

HighExpectation
10-21-2005, 02:16 PM
This came up when the Atkins diet became the new fad, people with kidney problems would not drink enough water and be on low carb, high fat/protein diets and they would go into renal failure.

You should not worry about it if you drink plenty of water and have no pre-existing conditions.

:withstupi

chevyboy
10-21-2005, 09:39 PM
too much of anything is bad... its always good thing to take time off supplementsgives your liver, kidneys a break! also milk thistle does wonders for your internals....

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-22-2005, 03:16 AM
^^^^^

Take time off of supplements? What are you talking about?

chevyboy
10-23-2005, 10:45 PM
what i mean is, like if you continuinly take protein, creatine, triblus stack etc couple times a day, its just straining your system... i know because it happened to me, and my sides, im assuming kidneys, and also my stomach liver or sumthing started to hurt in wierd ways. Doc told me take time off supplements i may be taking... So i stopeed everything i was taking for about 3 weeks, and all the pain etc was gone... just my 2cents, depends on everyones own system...

smalls
10-23-2005, 10:55 PM
Without blood tests everything your saying just sounds dumb. Sorry but pain? From protein and creatine, come on bro. Dehydration is probably the culprit here.

Built
10-24-2005, 12:21 AM
Tribulus "stack"?

Chevy, how old are you? Why were you taking tribulus, and what exactly were you stacking it with?

Y0yo
10-24-2005, 03:08 AM
what i mean is, like if you continuinly take protein, creatine, triblus stack etc couple times a day, its just straining your system... i know because it happened to me, and my sides, im assuming kidneys, and also my stomach liver or sumthing started to hurt in wierd ways. Doc told me take time off supplements i may be taking... So i stopeed everything i was taking for about 3 weeks, and all the pain etc was gone... just my 2cents, depends on everyones own system...

If you were sick, I'd think that it was something else that did it, not the supps.

HILL
10-24-2005, 04:03 AM
Yeh ive been taking protein powder for the past 3 years and i believe their to be many on this site have been taking it religously for much longer without any porblems