PDA

View Full Version : timing of meals

MJS
10-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Quick question about the timing of meals.

I am eating 6 meals a day with a 40/40/20 split of fats, protein and carbs. Cals right around 2500 which is fine with me. However, I am noticing the given my school work as well as my near-full time job, and gym routine I am only able to space the meals out by roughly 1-1.5 hrs.

By way of example here is a typical day:

Breakfast 10am
Lunch 1pm
Preworkout 2pm
Postworkout 3:30pm
Afternoon meal: 4:30pm
Dinner: 6:00pm
cottage cheese right before bed: 11-1

Is this alright?

Built
10-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Timing sounds fine - but the ratio approach isn't all that great, particularly for pre and post workout nutrition.

What macros are you eating? What do you weigh?

What do you eat for your pre and post workout meals?

MJS
10-20-2005, 12:07 PM
6'1" 190lbs

typical meal:

breakfast: bagel with peanut butter
meal 2: protein shake and banana
lunch: chicken ceaser salad, 1 cup skim milk
pre workout: 1 8oz chicken breast, 1 cup vegetables, 1 tablespoon pb
post workout: protein shake, 1 8oz chicken breast, 1 cup mixed fruit
dinner: 6" tuna salad hoagie, 1 cup skim milk

plus a gallon of water a day and a multi vitamin

Built
10-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Preworkout needs more carb, less fat.

Post workout needs more carb, try dextrose in whey. Have the fruit and chicken later.

Not sure what your macros are. You haven't posted them.

MJS
10-20-2005, 12:12 PM
what are macros, built?

MJS
10-20-2005, 12:17 PM
if you mean gram break down here it is:

Fat 111 g 39%
Carbs 153 g 22%
Protein 248 g 39%

Built
10-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Ah, much better.

Good. Your protein is higher than 1.0g/lb LBM, and your fats are higher than 0.5g/lb LBM. These, plus total calories, are the only "ratios" you need to worry about. Build your diet out of these minimums for protein and fat, fill the rest of the calories any way you find comfortable, and you're golden.

Are you bulking, cutting, maintaining?

MJS
10-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks Built, I am cutting. I just got off of a "bulking" cycle that was horrible .. had no idea what I was doing I was just eating everything in site, cheeseburgers, cheesesteaks etc. So now im trying to cut down for about 2 months then bulk for 3 then cut again.

MJS
10-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Right now I think I am in between 12-15% bf .. the calipers that I was measured with two weeks ago were not accutate .. pissed me off.

Anyways .. would like to get down to about 8-10% bf by the time thanksgiving rolls around and then start to bulk. Goal weight is 195lb 8% bf by next may .. should definately be able to get there.

Built
10-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Okay, cool.

You MIGHT consider an approach similar to what I'm doing. Many, MANY ways to cut down, but I've found carb and calorie cycling to be the least uncomfortable way to do it, at least for me.

The gist of it:

Drop overall maintenance calories by 10-20% for your weekly average.

On lifting days, you'll eat starchy carbs. None or very little on non-lifting days.

All meals are centred around protein, but the ones before and right after lifting are carb and protein. The rest are protein with fruit and or veggies and some healthy fats.

What ends up happening is your fats are higher and your carbs are lower on non-lifting days (because ALL meals have fat on those days) and your fats are lower and your carbs and calories are higher on lifting days (because you donít include fats in the pre and post workout meals, but these meals have carbs, and carbs make you hungrier so you allow for more calories on these days to keep you comfortable).

Appetite control may not be such a problem for you. I freaking HATE going hungry, so this strategy has worked very well for me.

Whatever way you approach your cut, good luck! We'll expect to see the pix when you're done!

MJS
10-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I understand what you are saying about hating to go hungry. I am the same way - especially being a college student I am always surrounded by junk food which makes it even harder to maintain a diet. Your approach sounds appealing and I think that I am going to give it a whirl. Thanks for the help Built, I appreciate it.

Built
10-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Good luck!