PDA

View Full Version : Training for Triathlon

squat it all!
10-21-2005, 10:42 AM
my friend is thinking about competing in triathlons. i'm helping him design a training scheme, involving training the events as well as hitting the weights. most of the info i've found on the web concerning weight-training for triathletes has been crap, plus i trust you guys' opinions more anyway.

i told him first and foremost eat everything in sight. he's 6'2" with long legs, and not a good squatter, so please keep that in mind.

any/all advice to help him would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

MixmasterNash
10-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Try crossfit.

squat it all!
10-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Try crossfit.

checked out their website, and there's tons of excercises to choose from. seems like a good concept in theory, but how do you pick and choose which ones to do, or do you work them all into a routine?

MixmasterNash
10-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Workout of the day. Do that. read a lot more first.

squat it all!
10-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Workout of the day. Do that. read a lot more first.

ha ha ha... bad day, huh fella?

squat it all!
10-21-2005, 01:36 PM
if anyone's done a triathlon, i'd love to hear their training routines/comments. thanks.

Sensei
10-21-2005, 02:30 PM
my friend is thinking about competing in triathlons. i'm helping him design a training scheme, involving training the events as well as hitting the weights. most of the info i've found on the web concerning weight-training for triathletes has been crap, plus i trust you guys' opinions more anyway.

i told him first and foremost eat everything in sight. he's 6'2" with long legs, and not a good squatter, so please keep that in mind.

any/all advice to help him would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

What is crap about the routines you've found?

I know a few triathletes and their training needs are obviously quite different from strength athletes. Most of them train pretty hard in the weight room, but gaining size (added weight) is NOT something they are looking for.

It would probably be a good idea to ask him what he perceives as weaknesses and go from there.

squat it all!
10-21-2005, 02:35 PM
the crap routines i've seen call for very high reps, quantifying lifting by time as oppossed to volume. yeah, he'll need to work on endurance, but he'll be running, swimming, and biking, so shouldn't his weight sessions be for maintaining as much strength as possible? he knows he won't be gaining mass, so the lifting is just to keep as much muscle as possible while he trains the events.

squat it all!
10-21-2005, 02:45 PM
like you said, the triathletes you know train hard in the weight room. the routine i have for him now is training each event one day per week, and lifting twice a week, with two days off for recovery.

i have a lower/upper body split, keeping in mind he cannot squat well
lower:
hack squat
BB lunge
leg press
leg curl (seated or lying)
back extension
hanging crunch

upper:
bench
dip
pullup
cable row
seated DB press
BB curl

this is a basic routine, but not WBB1 or 2, as you say, his needs wil be different than a strength trainer. please critique, or is it good to go? thanks.

zimbo
10-21-2005, 05:51 PM
I don't swim but I do lots and lots of long distance running and cycling. As such, my total weight is a concern. My weightlifting program looks a whole lot like WBB #1. The only difference between what I do and what strength- or size-focused lifter might do is eat less.

--Steve