PDA

View Full Version : HOw to make chicken soup?

eddie500
10-21-2005, 02:39 PM
OK I bought all this chicken.. bought a big quantity becuase it was cheap. NOw snice I can't cook good if I eat the chicken by frying it it tasts like crap.

SO I thought I could somehow put it into a soup???

So can someone give me a tip on how I should make chicken soup? Easily!

Can I just cut up the chicken I already fried into small pieces, put it in a pot with chicken broth already bought from a store, throw in some rice and maybe other stuff.. and have a kind of soup?

Will that work? Any tips here greatly appreciated.

Invain
10-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Sometimes I bake the chicken with some seasonings, shred it up after it's cooked, throw it and some minute rice in a big pot, and dump in a can of cream of chicken soup and then the soup can full of milk. You might want extra milk, like 1.5 or two cans because the rice really sucks it up. Bake it all together untill the rice is done, and it tastes pretty good.

BG5150
10-21-2005, 05:34 PM
google is your friend. type in "chicken soup recipe" and you'll get all you need.

I don't think it's gonna work if you already cooked the chicken.

What I do:

1 whole chicken cut up
1 package of soup greens

wash chicken and put in big pot of water, with the water about an inch higher than the chicken parts.
heat to boiling
turn heat to about medium and contiue to boil about 45 mins, skimming fat off occasionally.
remove chicken
cut up veggies
add veggies to broth
bring to boil
simmer about 20 mins or until veggies are soft
break up chicken and add to soup
simmer another 3 hrs

You can cook noodle seperately if you want chicken noodle soup.

Built
10-21-2005, 10:40 PM
Okay, here's my fat-free chicken soup recipe:

I start with legs, or legs and thighs - whatever's cheaper.

Chop up onions, garlic, toss it on the bottom of a roasting pan, chicken on the top (skin and all), tons of seasoning salt and pepper, and ... the magic trick: balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle it all over the chicken skin. Cover in foil, bake at about 300 degrees for a few hours (I just forget it in there for a while - I'll start it, go to the gym, and come back). It will smell AMAZING.

When you're ready to deal with it, crank the heat to broil and take off the foil - broil it up until the chicken is brown. Turn the oven off.

You can eat the chicken right now if you like - in its greasy, crispy-skinned and fatty glory. It's totally yummy.

Okay. That part is easy. The soup's a bit of a pain in the ass to make, so when I make it, I make a HUGE pot of it.

If you somehow manage to NOT devour this whole thing, toss whatever is left into a big pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil, then turn it off. (Make sure you get the roasting pan drippings in there)

Strain off the liquid, and skin and debone the chicken (let the chicken cool a bit first). Toss it back in the liquid. Bring it back to a boil, and let it cool.

Put it in the fridge overnight, and the fat will have all come to the top, hard. You can skim it off. Because you cooked the soup with the bones and skin, there will be gelatine in the soup - it will be a gel in the fridge.

You now have completely amazing fat-free chicken soup base. Add anything you like to it.

I often have this with angel hair pasta as pre- or post-workout nutrition - I'll just scoop out some soup, heat it up with the angel hair pasta, and by the time the soup is hot, the angel hair pasta is done - it pretty much cooks instantly.

Fast carb, lots of water and salt, fat-free protein. My post-workout meal of choice.

YungLifter
10-22-2005, 04:00 AM
My mom makes pretty much the same way. But she adds like those little pasta shells and stars and some veggies. Yummy=)

eddie500
10-22-2005, 04:41 AM
What is best and easiest way to chop up the chicken?

Unreal
10-22-2005, 06:52 AM
This is what I made last night. Was very good.

2 cans chicken broth
2 cups water
4-5 cloves garlic
spices- pepper, red pepper, salt, thyme, onion powder, basil
1 can green chili
1 can chopped tomatos
1 package frozen spinach
1 6oz can chicken breast
1 package frozen spinach
1 tbps olive oil

Simmer for 30 minutes to combine flavors. Everything was precooked/canned so just basically had to warm it. Macros worked out to 780 calories for the complete huge pot. ~80g protein, 20g fat, didn't count carbs. Could only eat about 1/2 of it and I was starving. Very filling.

YungLifter
10-23-2005, 04:03 AM
What is best and easiest way to chop up the chicken?
Depends how you like it. If you like it in kind of small stringy peices then kind of peel the meat of the chicen as if it was string cheese. If you like bigger pieces just cut them up how ever big you want. I don't think it matters, just preference.