PDA

View Full Version : Box squat height

BG5150
10-21-2005, 05:14 PM
I was wondering if anyone here who has built there own box for box squats could tell me how tall their boxes are. My friend going to be building two next week (one for low box squats) and one for regular box squats. So far he has been able to get by using a half bench for his regular squats which sits lower than normal benches, but he really needs to build one for lower box squats.

Any help would be appreciated.

bill
10-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Well people use all different hights. It may also depend on the weak points you want to stress. I've read some doing like 4" but that seems , well for the advanced ???

SkinnySadMan
10-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Hmmm, I squatting off 11.5 inches, I'm 5'7. It's a bit below parallel. It's not even a box though, it's a stool you stand on lol.

Hockey66
10-21-2005, 08:09 PM
I'm 5'10 and I do mine off of a 12" box. 4" box squats would be rough!

Edit: I have long legs, so this is far below parallel for me.

Sensei
10-21-2005, 10:55 PM
I'm 5'8" on a good day and I use a 10" box for low box squats - it is way below parallel (basically ATF) for me. I could probably add 3" and still be at or below parallel.

drew
10-22-2005, 12:01 AM
I rarely do low box squats, and when I do it's off 10". I generally use 12" and I'm 5'6" this puts me about 1.5" below.

Bill, I've seen where some people make 4" boxes and stack them. Maybe you're thinking of that?

SkinnySadMan
10-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Do you guys actually "Sit back" (pause for 1-2 seconds) or do you just squat down and touch the box with your ass?

bill
10-22-2005, 07:38 AM
no drew actually read about some girl using a 2" box, keep it clean boys. Myself can't imagine a benefit of going much less than parallel

drew
10-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Wow, that's low.

SkinnySad: Sit BACK, pause for a split second and then up. Really push your ass back and sit back. If you try to sit down, your knees will move ahead of your toes, putting you in a very bad squat position.

SkinnySadMan
10-22-2005, 09:59 PM
I used to do them without sitting back, when I started sitting back I noticed my weak spot was my quads? Does this make sense ?

Franco
10-23-2005, 04:19 AM
Depends on your height and variables such as sticking points.

The lowest I've ever taken it down to is 8.5 inches

I used to do them without sitting back, when I started sitting back I noticed my weak spot was my quads? Does this make sense ?

Are you releasing your hip flexors at the bottom

Sensei
10-23-2005, 09:44 AM

No, it doesn't make sense. What kind of stance are you using? Where are your feet placed in relation to you body and the box when you start to drive from the bottom? Are you driving your head up and hips through? Are you keeping your chest spread and a tight upper back?

drew
10-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Your weak spot isn't your quads. Your weak spot is your size. You need to gain more weight and get your whole body stronger and not worry about specific weaknesses. A 200 squat is very good for someone your age and size, but the only thing holding back your squat now is a lack of size, so keep getting bigger and keep working. Your quads aren't doing the work when you squat back with a wide stance.

SkinnySadMan
10-23-2005, 07:25 PM
I didn't mean I was actually weak there, but I felt that "struggle" feeling when coming off the box, then the rest of the rep feels good.

When I don't sit on the box I don't feel that feeling in my quads.

Stance is wider than shoulder width, toes pointed slightly outwards, I keep my upper back tight, and air sucked into belly.

..............baaahhhh forget about it... lol.

drew
10-24-2005, 07:12 AM
If you're struggling when coming off the box, then KEEP doing them, that's your weakest spot, so keep working it.