PDA

View Full Version : trying to stay natural?

baretheweight
10-24-2005, 06:24 PM
I have been lifting on and off for a few years now and I have now come into a big problem. Due to health conditions I canot use any supplements except protien powder but even those cause a problem. I was taking about three shakes a day and one weight gainer drink a day. This turned out to be too much for my digestive system and caused stomach cramps and Im not sure how well it was all digesting. So now I am wanting to know if Just one shake a day and lots of food will do it, if so, what should i do about the meals(what kinds of food)?
I am currently at 190 lbs and slowly losing it due to the lack of shakes(i think). HELP!

getfit
10-24-2005, 06:27 PM
sticky "what a bodybuilder eats" that's what you should be eating.

Kurata
10-24-2005, 06:27 PM
3 shakes a day? Yeesh! And here I thought 1 shake a day was fine. Sounds like you just need more food. :P

John04Civic
10-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Man, I do 1 MRP and MAYBE 1 shake in one day..

That stuff screws with yer stomach man. I fart A LOT when I use a bunch of supplements.

drew
10-24-2005, 07:16 PM
I've probably had 4 shakes in the last 4 months and I've gained over 20 lbs in that time, just eat and eat some more.

Built
10-24-2005, 07:19 PM
You don't need shakes at all. They're just easy fast protein. Eat food.

Patz
10-24-2005, 07:23 PM
And, for the record, supplements don't disqualify you from being "natural."

Jorge Sanchez
10-24-2005, 07:44 PM
I've gained 25lbs over 5 months without taking any supplements. Shakes are not the be all and end all of gaining muscle.

Chris686
10-24-2005, 08:05 PM
<3 my shakes.

I only get gassy if I drink too much milk :D

RussianRocket
10-24-2005, 08:11 PM
i'd drink 3 shakes a day if i could afford it. I can barely afford maintanace cals as of now because it's university time.

Kurata
10-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Man, I do 1 MRP and MAYBE 1 shake in one day..

That stuff screws with yer stomach man. I fart A LOT when I use a bunch of supplements.

Take a Nutrition class. It's because there is so much protein in those shakes the only place it goes (and fast) is down your digestive system and out.

Spartan936
10-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Do milk products give you a problem, baretheweight? If they don't, drink milk. If they do I suggest looking into lactose free milk, or lactase enzymes to help digest it. Stick with the whole food, but you can use the milk for easy calories. I've been drinking a gallon a day, and I was told I was lactose intolerant. :eek:

Spartan936
10-24-2005, 09:06 PM
Take a Nutrition class. It's because there is so much protein in those shakes the only place it goes (and fast) is down your digestive system and out.

I don't think that's the reason. I always thought it was the concentrated calories suprising an unsuspecting stomach, or the lactose in the whey. I'm not entirely sure though...

Paul Stagg
10-25-2005, 07:20 AM
You are losing it because you need to fix your diet.

The shakes have nothing to do with it.

I do suggest you try to find out WHY you are having the issues you have.

Slim Schaedle
10-25-2005, 10:38 AM

I've taken multiple nutrition courses, some of which are very advanced. Not even I buy into that stuff that the entry level classes preach. What exactly did they tell you?

Also, a shake could be as little as 20 grams. This is relatively little.

"down your digestive system and out" is not the only place protein goes.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-25-2005, 12:30 PM
"down your digestive system and out" is not the only place protein goes.No, that's just where the rest of it goes, since there is no place in the body where protein is "stored".

Slim Schaedle
10-25-2005, 06:20 PM
No, that's just where the rest of it goes, since there is no place in the body where protein is "stored".
Really? I had no idea.