PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a diet for weight loss and muscle gain

luvs2play
10-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Been doing atkins (low carb count no real plan)...keeping carbs pretty low 30g or less / day. However I have had a bit of trouble putting on muscle while lifting (been lifting for a couple months now. I am entertaining a new diet plan so that I can put on some muscle while losing fat. A little background...

started current diet plan jan 2005 and have lost to date from 270-220...and have stalled out since beginning lifting (im assuming thats some muscle gain)...I would like some informed opinions regarding if I should swap my eating plan or not to continue with weight loss or not...Additionally I am 6' 1"...with a med to heavy build. I have a fat % scale and its giving me 26%. Goal is to have a visible six pack so 10-12 % body fat but I dont want to be below 10. My current work out is all 5 weekdays alternating --

Mon - Chest / biceps / abs
Tue - legs / back
Wed - shoulders / biceps
Thur - lats / back
Fri - Chest / biceps / abs if im not still sore from monday.
Weekend off

Please let me know if I should change anything or just continue.

Thanks,
Joshua

Built
10-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Hey Joshua

I started with Atkins, too.

Take a look at how I diet now. I carb/calorie cycle. You're going to have to get used to counting calories as well as carbs, but trust me, it's worth it.

My diet is in the link in my sig. PM me or write a question here if you need some help figuring it out.

Welcome. :)

luvs2play
10-25-2005, 12:11 AM
I read your diet plan and it looks interesting...is there a site that I could reference to figure out the proportions for my body size?...as with atkins I just eat when I am hungry...and your proportions would perhaps be incorrect for my size.

Built
10-25-2005, 12:20 AM
Okay, I can help now. You are not stalled because of muscle gain. You are stalled because you are now eating at maintenance.

Track your food on fitday for a week, to get your calories.

Once you have that, build your diet.

To cut, drop these calories by 10-20%.

Protein: 1-1.5g per pound LBM (use 90% of your goal weight if you're not sure)
Fat: no less than 0.5g per pound LBM (higher is fine)
Carbs: whatever

I eat fruit and veggies on all days, but only add in starchy carbs on lifting days. Diet is NOT ketogenic, but carbs are probably about half as high as protein on non-lifting days, and perhaps a gram or more per pound LBM on lifting days.

Track on fitday for a week, and drop me a PM when you have your maintenance cals, okay?