PDA

View Full Version : just_a_pup: About fat intake, etc

Anthony
03-01-2001, 08:47 AM
Found this today ... it's based on info from the American Heart Association.

Saturated fatty acids. Less than 10% of calories for prevention of high cholesterol; less than 7% of calories for reversal of high cholesterol.

Polyunsaturated fatty acids. No more than 10% of calories.

Monounsaturated fatty acids. About 10% to 15% of total calories.

Your total cholesterol intake should be no more than 300 milligrams per day.

Your sodium intake should be limited to no more than 2,400 milligrams (2.4 g, about 1 teaspoons of table salt) per day.

Based on those numbers, I'd say natural peanut butter is a damn near perfect fat source. :)

Anthony
03-01-2001, 08:56 AM
Another note, I remember reading a post by Chris regarding cholesterol intake. He stated that it was the overall intake of fat that would raise cholesterol, not the actual consumption of cholesterol.

Close, but I wanted to clarify: Your body's LDL (bad cholesterol) is affected more by the intake of saturated fats than the intake of cholesterol - although intake of cholesterol can still affect it.

Hope this helps!

body
03-01-2001, 02:52 PM
"Your sodium intake should be limited to no more than 2,400 milligrams (2.4 g, about 1 teaspoons of table salt) per day. "

Anthony 2.4 grams of soduim - is not the same as 2.4 grams of salt. Soduim in the salt would increase the amount of salt allowed to nearly 6 grams of total salt. I have not read the finding but so i could be the opposite way round.

Anthony
03-01-2001, 02:58 PM
Body, sorry if that wasn't clear, but I think the article was simply stating that 2400mg = 2.4g and THEN relating it to salt ... ie, 1.25 teaspoons of table salt = 2.4g of sodium.

body
03-02-2001, 12:05 PM
that cleared up thanks.

Pup
03-02-2001, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the info anthony, i appreciate it.