PDA

View Full Version : Just talked to mark rippetoe on the phone?

young_squatter7
10-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Hey guys I just got off the phone with Mark Ripptoe and asked him what a good routine would be and he told me this

Workout 1
Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift/ Power clean (Alternate every workout)
This has you deadlifting or cleaning every 5th workout
For the deadlift he said to pyrmaid to a top set of 5, and for power clean to do 5x3.

Workout 2
Squat 3x5
Military press 3x5
Hyperextensions 3x5
Chins 3x5

He told me to go heavy every workout, He said that I should try to increase my squat by 10lbs every workout and so should deadlift, also he said my other lifts should increase 1-3 lbs every workout. And for me not to settle a workout without increasing the weight every workout.

Also he told me pretty much to eat like it was going out of style, He told me that I had to drink 1 gallon of WHOLE MILK a day. He said I should gain like 3 lbs a week and this is why my lifts should fly up. He told me not to do any isolation arm work at all. Just do what he said and then get the hell out of the gym.
Then he said when my squat and other lifts start to plateu that I should drop the weight 20lbs then work my way back on and then start making 5 lb jumps on squats. He said this should work for about 1 Year.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK I SHOULD DO? I WANT TO TAKE HIS ADVICE BUT GAINING 3LBS A WEEK WONT THAT JUST GET ME FAT?

Adam
10-25-2005, 03:09 PM
Old-school

Joe Black
10-25-2005, 03:12 PM
focus on compound movements, adding weight to the bar and eat like its going out of fashion?

A recipie for getting big and strong if you ask me....

Anthony
10-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Sounds good to me, especially the part about milk. :D

Isaac Wilkins
10-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Dude, Ripptoe knows what he's talking about.

If you want to get big, and he literally told you to do that, then do it. Will you gain some fat? Yeah. Will you get big as a mother and strong to boot? Yeah.

It's a lot easier to get lean after you get big.

Sensei
10-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Do it. You'll see some great gains.

Meat_Head
10-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Sweet routine, you should do it cause I definately wana see the results. As for drinking a gallon of whole milk a day, I've done it and man does it work. In a gallon of whole milk you get somethin like 1,500 calories and 160 grams of protein. DON'T start doing that right off the bat though. For the first week try half a gallon, then 3/4 the next week, then a full gallon a day the 3rd. If you go straight from what you're eating now to a gallon a day you'll gain a ton of fat too fast, so take a little more time, let your body slowly get used to it. The excess calories and protein will do you more good by the 3rd week anyway, as your nervous system will have gotten used to the exercises and your muscles will be demanding more nutrition.

fixationdarknes
10-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Well, if 1 cup of whole milk is 150 calories, then a gallon of that is 16 cups, which is 2400 calories. lol. In addition to your other meals, you'll gain weight like a crazy mofo.

bIgHwN86
10-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Old-school
:withstupi .....That program sounds similar to Chad Waterbury's and Christian Thidabeau's programs but a HELL OF A LOT MORE OLD SCHOOL STYLE.....that program along with that nutrition advice will get you looking/lifting like a gorilla in a year. and do not worry about the weight gain, with the loads you are putting on your body, there is definitely going to be some serious muscle gains

mrburns
10-26-2005, 09:29 PM
im interested in trying this program as well...
is it possible for me to just run this through with deadlifts? cut the power cleans? or are they pretty easy to learn?

i was under the impression olympic lifts should be taught in person from a professional...any thoughts?

biggimp
10-26-2005, 09:50 PM
im sorry, but im poor as hell. a gallon of milk a day would be like at least $15 a week. i would rather just buy a 20lb bag of protein...

khari
10-26-2005, 10:58 PM
im interested in trying this program as well...
is it possible for me to just run this through with deadlifts? cut the power cleans? or are they pretty easy to learn?

i was under the impression olympic lifts should be taught in person from a professional...any thoughts?

The power clean is pretty simple, and can probably be learned without a coach. It's when you get to full cleans and snatches that I would definately not proceed without a coach. I'd check out exrx.net and also find a good decription of how to do it. With a few weeks practice it'll be easy.

fixationdarknes
10-26-2005, 11:14 PM
I don't think power cleans are all that simple. I'm having trouble learning good form on my own.

mrburns
10-26-2005, 11:23 PM
i havnt tried them yet, but from what ive seen it looks somewhat hard to learn...but what i was wondering is if it's ok just to do deadlift all the time instead of a power clean?

bIgHwN86
10-27-2005, 12:25 AM
well learning the power clean, and the snatches are kind of difficult to learn but all I DID was watch countless videos of olympic lifters, read up on the techniques, and practice each lift countlessly. You can also practice the lifts with db's as in, one arm db snatches and cleans, which will help out with the actual cleans and snatches

khari
10-27-2005, 10:01 AM
I don't think power cleans are all that simple. I'm having trouble learning good form on my own.

How long have you been practicing it?

Ironminded
10-27-2005, 12:13 PM
Personally I think the biggest thing to remember when trying to lear Powercleans is to remember, this is new. Treat it like you did all the major lifts when you were just starting out, ie REALLY LOW weight. The PC really isnt that tough, it is just a DL with a second pull thrown in at the end. However it does take some learning. I used to do PC's all the time for Football and just recently came back to doing them. What I had to remind myslef was that I had not done them in a long time, and subsequently I needed to regain my old form. My suggestion is simple, leave your ego at the door. Practice incessently with nothing but the bar, and only slowly add weight. Once you get the form down you will be able to toss weight on very quickly, but this is a ballistic excerise involving your back, be carefull and use good form. Remember, the time you spend with light weight learning the form well will reward you with heavier lifts and a healthier back later on both in your cycle and in life.

young_squatter7
10-27-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys, I am starting this routine on monday, I plan on making a journal then so ill post all my workouts then, I plan on gaining a lot of weight and cutting down after I reach my weight goal. Thanks for everything guys

f=ma
10-27-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm kinda unclear.. so do you do workout 1 on monday, then workout 2 on tuesday then repeat throughout the week?

young_squatter7
10-27-2005, 07:08 PM
I'm kinda unclear.. so do you do workout 1 on monday, then workout 2 on tuesday then repeat throughout the week?

No, you workout MWF alternate the workouts

mrburns
10-28-2005, 10:26 AM
ok so i started this routine yesterday...but im still confused on what days to workout.

is it workout #1 on monday, #2 wednesday, #1 on friday...then the next week #2 on monday #1 wednesday and then #2 on friday...?

any help?

fixationdarknes
10-28-2005, 05:53 PM
Yes, exactly. You've got the idea mrburns. So every other week will be identical in workouts.

mrburns
10-28-2005, 07:54 PM
Yes, exactly. You've got the idea mrburns. So every other week will be identical in workouts.

ok, that's what I figured the setup is...thanks for confirming it for me!

khari
10-30-2005, 03:07 PM
Would your body really be able to handle doing squats three times a week? When I squat, I find that I'm sore for a good 3-4 days after, and it seems that doing them so often would only impose on the healing process necessary for muscle growth.

Anyone can to clear this up for me?

It seems counter intuitive, but I would wager that after a couple weeks of squatting 3x a week, you'll be less sore than when you were squatting only once.

Sensei
10-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Would your body really be able to handle doing squats three times a week? When I squat, I find that I'm sore for a good 3-4 days after, and it seems that doing them so often would only impose on the healing process necessary for muscle growth.
Anyone care to clear this up for me?
There's more to consider than just training frequency. A lot of OLers squat almost daily.

Der Kopfwerfer
10-30-2005, 03:49 PM

Anyone care to clear this up for me?

Anthony
10-30-2005, 03:53 PM

Anyone can to clear this up for me?

I squat 3 times a week and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

young_squatter7
10-30-2005, 06:24 PM
What do you guys think about assitance work, like adding some things in the routine? What about this?

Workout1

Squats 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Dealifts/Powerclean 3x5/5x3

Assitance:
Lat Pulldown 3x8-12
Close Grip Bench 3x5
Dumbell Curl 3x8-12

Workout2
Squats 3x5
Military Press 3x5
Chin Ups 3x5
Hyperextensions 3x5

Assitance:
Seated Rows/Barbell Rows 3x8-12
Incline Dumbell Press 3x8-12
Leg Curl 3x8-12

bIgHwN86
10-30-2005, 07:27 PM
The workouts look like what i do now, if your body can handle the assistance work then there should be no problems. My strength is going up with workouts like this. If you would like to, add some GPP (General Physical Preparedness) like medicine ball throws, sledghammer swings, barrel tosses, sandbag variations, bodyweight squats, on the following days to just loosen up your body and add some more conditioning to your workouts without running

young_squatter7
10-30-2005, 07:36 PM
The workouts look like what i do now, if your body can handle the assistance work then there should be no problems. My strength is going up with workouts like this. If you would like to, add some GPP (General Physical Preparedness) like medicine ball throws, sledghammer swings, barrel tosses, sandbag variations, bodyweight squats, on the following days to just loosen up your body and add some more conditioning to your workouts without running

Im going to add this work because I can handle it, I do eliptical training on tuesdays and thursdays for 30 minutes

bIgHwN86
10-31-2005, 04:08 PM
Not that sort of conditioning. Eliptical training is good for cardio without putting too much stress on your joints (i know because i do it as well in the morning on an empty stomach). I am talking about raising your work capacity and being able to handle more load stresses on your body by doing sled dragging and medicine ball work

mrburns
11-01-2005, 09:02 AM
im doing the program mark gave young_squatter, man is it working well! I've gained 3 pounds in the last week in a half and im feeling fantastic! :D

i have the exact same stats as young_squatter, so I'm not really sure why he is messing with the workout he got from one of the WORLDS top strength coach...not a smart move IMHO.

PowerManDL
11-01-2005, 09:08 AM
i have the exact same stats as young_squatter, so I'm not really sure why he is messing with the workout he got from one of the WORLDS top strength coach...not a smart move IMHO.

C'mon dude, don't you know that even though you have no idea how to modify the workout, you HAVE to throw in some extra, completely pointless and likely detrimental assistance work? You won't be able to grow in complete symmetry and complain about how hard it is to grow otherwise.

bubba booey
11-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Hey guys I just got off the phone with Mark Ripptoe and asked him what a good routine would be and he told me this

Workout 1
Squat 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Deadlift/ Power clean (Alternate every workout)
This has you deadlifting or cleaning every 5th workout
For the deadlift he said to pyrmaid to a top set of 5, and for power clean to do 5x3.

Workout 2
Squat 3x5
Military press 3x5
Hyperextensions 3x5
Chins 3x5

He told me to go heavy every workout, He said that I should try to increase my squat by 10lbs every workout and so should deadlift, also he said my other lifts should increase 1-3 lbs every workout. And for me not to settle a workout without increasing the weight every workout.

Also he told me pretty much to eat like it was going out of style, He told me that I had to drink 1 gallon of WHOLE MILK a day. He said I should gain like 3 lbs a week and this is why my lifts should fly up. He told me not to do any isolation arm work at all. Just do what he said and then get the hell out of the gym.
Then he said when my squat and other lifts start to plateu that I should drop the weight 20lbs then work my way back on and then start making 5 lb jumps on squats. He said this should work for about 1 Year.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK I SHOULD DO? I WANT TO TAKE HIS ADVICE BUT GAINING 3LBS A WEEK WONT THAT JUST GET ME FAT?

How often does he suggest performing these? Is it 3xper week, alternating days 1 and 2, every other day, etc.?

khari
11-01-2005, 02:12 PM
How often does he suggest performing these? Is it 3xper week, alternating days 1 and 2, every other day, etc.?

Yeah. It was explained later on page 1.

bubba booey
11-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Yeah. It was explained later on page 1.

Thanks dude, obviously didn't look hard enough.

mrburns
11-01-2005, 02:41 PM
LMAO! powermanDL, you are now my favourite wannabebig member...love the sarcasm!!

:) :) :) :)

Meat_Head
11-01-2005, 03:18 PM
What do you guys think of this:

Day 1:
Squats 3x5
T-bar rows 3x5
Standing overhead press 3x5
Dips BW x close to failure

Day 2:
Good morning squats 3x5
Sternum chins 3x5
Decline press 3x5
Cleans 5x3

On the off days, possible assistance lifting for biceps/triceps/forearms/calves + throwing the football(running routes) and basketball.

Newfie D
11-15-2005, 02:50 PM
I squat 3 times a week and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made.

me too. i wish i had've done this 10 years earlier.

RickTheDestroyer
11-15-2005, 03:00 PM
What do you guys think of this:

Day 1:
Squats 3x5
T-bar rows 3x5
Standing overhead press 3x5
Dips BW x close to failure

Day 2:
Good morning squats 3x5
Sternum chins 3x5
Decline press 3x5
Cleans 5x3

On the off days, possible assistance lifting for biceps/triceps/forearms/calves + throwing the football(running routes) and basketball.

I'd swap flat bench for the decline because decline makes my head hurt. I'd consider doing it with dumbbells, too. I'm not so sure about good morning squats, but if you like them, then go for it. I might add some deads once in a while as well. I'd also drop the assistance arm lifts on off days because you won't need it (but keep the calf work, probably, because I really do need that) and then run with it.
Good luck. Have fun adding gaining size and strength.