PDA

View Full Version : progress pics... but where are my abs?

getnripd
10-25-2005, 03:12 PM
hey guys

last march i decided i was sick of being 231 lbs of fat so now, 7 months later, im 196 lbs. Ive been working out 4 days a week, and ive seen great gains all around. im 16 y.o.
the only surprising thing im curious about is, why, if i've lost all this weight and put on all this muscle, are my abs stills hidden. I do crunches on the ab machine 2x a week 3x15x110 lbs . I can feel them, they seem rock hard, but i cant see them... should i just keep doing cardio and keeping my diet clean and let time do its thing? Also, if i gain muscle and maybe reach 210 lbs or so, is there still chance of having a good six pack? or will getting my six pack require losing more weight???

i think im almost there
any ideas on bf? i have this scale (which i really hate) which says im at 24% bodyfat. it doesnt make alot of sense to me. its one of the scales you step on and it sends like low level current thru ur body and whatnot. any bf ideas id really like to know

any critique welcome thanks for you help

d'Anconia
10-25-2005, 03:28 PM
Those scales are generally not very accurate but even if it is off by 10% (meaning 10% too much and I doubt it is off by that much) and you were at 14% then your bodyfat would still just be too high.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but you're gonna have to get that bodyfat % under 12% or so before they really start to become visible. From your description it sounds like you DO have abs, they just have a layer of fat covering them and if they didn't then they would be quite visible.

Stumprrp
10-25-2005, 03:29 PM
you look good dude how tall are you? im your weight now and still really fat and my goal is 200

getnripd
10-25-2005, 03:53 PM
thanks for the comments. i will continue getting my bodyfat down more. right now i do 30 minutes on the treadmil 4x a week, and im taking in about 175g of protein a day and about 2400 calories from food.
im 6'1" right now.
so i guess i really need to do everything above and just give it time.
when you say i need to get my bodyfat down, do you mean i should lose 10 lbs or gain 10lbs of muscle? cant you lower bodyfat by gaining muscle??? so theoritically i could train hard eat well, and ultimately weigh more but have lower bodyfat?

Stumprrp
10-25-2005, 03:58 PM
you need to lower the body fat to get the abs, also, is the first pic when you were 231?

Wannabelean
10-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Great job man. .You are getting there, but you need to shed some more BF before your abs are visible. Huge change though!

getnripd
10-25-2005, 04:14 PM
thanks guys its helpful hearing that cuz when i look at the picture it doesnt seem like a 35 lb difference.. yes, the first pic is 231. thanks for all the feedback it is very appreciated

Stumprrp
10-25-2005, 04:36 PM
DAMN dude u call that fat? haha! your at a good bulking weight now man, congrads on that loss.

getnripd
10-25-2005, 05:09 PM
hey, when you say im at a good bulking weight, does that mean that im at a good weight for adding more muscle mass?? my minds going 1000 different directions as i need to get a lower bf, but i also want to add alot of muscle mass. would it be possible for my goal to be gain 10lbs of muscle and lower body fat at the same time? just cuz your weight is higher doesnt mean your bf is higher too, right?

so i guess my question is, if i gain 10 lbs of muscle, will it give me alot more defintion, or just make me look bigger. right now im looking to get my muscles defined as opposed to big with fat around them so you cant see them (like my abs)
muscle burns fat right?
thanks for your help!

Shao-LiN
10-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Your abs are below the layer of fat on your stomach.

getnripd
10-25-2005, 06:00 PM
i agree, its just frusterating that after losing 35 lbs theres still fat over my abs! its never-ending lol. im going to do some intense cardio for a while and ill post pictures the day my abs show . id guess around new years probably (?)

HelpMeLift
10-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Congrats on the cut man!
hmm I'd say you look around 14% bf give or take.

Gabrielle
10-25-2005, 10:41 PM
it would be smarter to slowly focus on losing some more bf until you feel comfortable with your abs and conditioning, then clean bulk staying at relatively the same bf

Wannabelean
10-26-2005, 05:34 AM
Don't sweat it dude, I have lost almost 150lbs and I still have a flubb of fat over everything

Unreal
10-26-2005, 07:49 AM
I've gone from over 300 down to 200. Abs are starting to fill in slowly. After ab workout I can see some definition in my upper abs. Its a long long slow process. Just keep what your doing until you get where you want to be. I figure the same thing. I'm probably 6-7 weeks out from my final cutting goal. Then go on a clean bulk to add some muscle.

dw06wu
10-26-2005, 08:04 AM
It's really hard for an ex-fatty to get abs. I would know. Anyway, your best chance would be to do the normal diet thing; find maintenance and subtract 500ish while incorporating a refeed every other week until you just can't lose any more weight. Throw some HIIT in there instead of normal cardio like 2-3x a week on your off days. Then try a diet like UD2/PSMF/Keto.

Canadian Crippler
10-26-2005, 08:45 AM
Very good progress man! The abs will come with time and dieting.

[[[----]]]
10-26-2005, 09:13 AM
yeah, ex-fatty here too. I used to be 230, no muscle. Dropped to 170 and bulked up to 205 with a pretty decent amount of muscle....and some fat, but Im sticking with the bulk throughout the winter. 220 Baby!! hopefully