PDA

View Full Version : Don't want to do dead lifts

Mad Max
10-26-2005, 04:21 PM
I don't want to do deadlifts because they seem to build big traps, and my traps are already big enough, too big almost. I am looking for a well proporionted body, and aesthetically speaking, IMHO, nothing ruins a good looking body like big traps. Believe me I know what I like the look of, and I know my traps don't need to grow anymore until I have an extra 7 inches on my chest. In other words the rest of my upper body needs to catch up.
However I do like deads for all their other uses, perhaps they don't affect your traps too much, I'm not experienced enough to know. Of course I do squats also, but I miss the deadlift rush. Would it be worth substituting with good mornings.
Any advice?

russ
10-26-2005, 05:08 PM
I say just do deads, if they make your traps bigger it's going to make other things bigger too, so you'll still probably look in the same proportion if you work out your other muscles correctly.

Saint Patrick
10-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Do deads.

Your body will naturally become more proportionate as you add more size/mass.

hoser813
10-26-2005, 05:13 PM
i love big traps.... and yeah deads do stimulate the traps, but I dont think they hit them enough to throw your physique off.

DNL
10-26-2005, 11:04 PM
how big are your traps.. post a pic. You can never have too big of anything...I'd call it a head start. =)

khari
10-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Replace them with power cleans. Those do nothing for your traps.

jtteg_x
10-27-2005, 01:09 AM
great excuse.

the trap only stablizes during a deadlift. your targeting mainly your glutes on the deadlift, traps are involved, but not enough to train deads for.

i say do them, or at the least, moderate weight deads

Manveet
10-27-2005, 10:09 AM
You can do good mornings, glutle ham raises, pull throughs, various leg curls, etc.