PDA

View Full Version : Lots of stress on wrists?

fixationdarknes
10-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Today I was practicing some more power cleans, but it's kind of annoying when my wrists hurt when I only have 45-65 lbs. on the bar. Am I not holding the bar correctly at the top position of the clean? Feels almost like my wrists are gonna fall off after a while.

I have no idea how Pyrros Dimas can easily hold 440 lbs. on his wrists like that for his front squats. Wtf?

Any help or suggestions? Do I need to strengthen my wrists or something?

Adam
10-26-2005, 07:03 PM
I have the same problem at the top.
It used to be much worse though.
I think the main thing is flexability, but I'm no expert on Oly lifts.

and i remember reading something on, "keep your elbows high, and rest the bar on your clavicle".

fixationdarknes
10-26-2005, 07:41 PM
Oh, so it rests on your front delts sorta? Alright I'll try keeping my elbows higher next time. Thanks.

Sensei
10-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Practice doing front squats for a while. It will get you used to the proper position for racking the weight and your wrists and elbows will adapt to the stress on them in that position.

You may not be able to hold the bar w. all five fingers on the bar at first - I still am only comfortable with three or, at most, four fingers on the bar (when doing reps). It will get less painful and you will develop flexibility. It will take at least a few weeks, so be persistent. Don't overdo it, but be persistent.

Make sure to keep your elbows high and don't allow your head to drop forward/down at all throughout the movement.

MixmasterNash
10-26-2005, 07:57 PM
I spend a lot of time simply stretching my arms and fingers by holding the bar in the clean position. practice the motion often and stretch a lot.

The weight of the bar should be on your delts and chest, not your fingers.

SkinnySadMan
10-26-2005, 08:42 PM
Man that's the reason why I don't do front squats, I need to practice with form. My wrist hurts, it also hurts when I do OH squats, Push Press, or probably any kind of lift that is olympic-style.

fixationdarknes
10-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Alright thanks guys. So just hold the bar in that position a lot and try to get used to it? And how do you stretch? Just push your wrists back and forth?