PDA

View Full Version : My diet

Jorge Sanchez
10-26-2005, 09:33 PM
I have recently decided to cut for a bit to give myself a break from the constant force feeding. I've been going at it for a little longer than a week, and for the first little bit my diet deffinetly left much to be desired. But, I think I've had it in check for the past couple of days.

A little background first. I'm 19, 6'1'' and about 200lbs, probably about 13-15%bf, and I only want to drop 10lbs.

Any advice is appreciated. Hopefully you won't tell me to drop more carbs because I already miss them so much.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=nread097

Built
10-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Well, to cut, you're gonna have to drop calories.

Keeping fats high and dropping carbs a bit is probably the least painful way to go, but you do it whatever way you can.

Could you perhaps carb and calorie cycle?

Suppose you wanted to drop a pound a week, and your maint cals are 2700.

I'll assume your LBM is 170, and that you train 4 days a week.

So, you could have 2300 cals on lifting days, 2000 on the 3 non-lifting days, and you'd really, REALLY look forward to your lifting days - you could add in all 300 cals in carb if you like.

You might even fit in more because you can drop the fats down on the non-lifting days.

Your days could look like this:
Lifting day:
204g of protein, 85g of fat, and 180g of carbohydrate, 2300 calories in total.

Non-lifting day:
170g of protein, 128g of fat, and 43g of carbohydrate, 2000 calories in total.

Certainly not the only way to do it, but it's how I diet, and I find it far more tolerable than any OTHER way I've dieted.

ShockBoxer
10-27-2005, 08:14 AM
Guh... never ceases to amaze me how some people around here can drop to 43 grams of carbs and still hit 2000 cals. I'd have to to an all meat, milk, and whey diet to do it...

Hmm. Guess I'm no longer amazed.

Well, I like my carbs. I guess I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

I do the whole juggling thing as well, though. My lift days are usually 1800 to 2000 calories and my non-lift days tend to be the 1600s. When I lift I get hungry. When I'm hungry I want to eat. Why fight nature any more than you have to?

Jorge Sanchez
10-27-2005, 09:08 AM
I guess you guys missed it: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...?Owner=nread097

Built
10-27-2005, 03:25 PM
I didn't miss it - it was where I got my eyeball estimate of your calories.

Jorge Sanchez
10-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Oh, well those are already my cutting cals, and I think I might be losing weight too fast. 2000cals is deffinetly way too low.

Why bump up the fat on non-lifting days?

Built
10-27-2005, 04:06 PM
I was just tossing out a suggestion, based upon what I thought were your maintenance calories.

If these are already your cutting calories, try this:

Lifting days (assuming 4 a week)
255g of protein, 102g of fat, and 240.5g of carbohydrate, 2900 calories in total.

Non-lifting days (assuming 3 days a week)
204g of protein, 136g of fat, and 90g of carbohydrate, 2400 calories in total.

This averages out to just under 2700 cals a day over the course of a week.

Why more fat on the non-lifting days?

Two reasons.
1. On lifting days, (at least) two of your meals are going to be low-fat, with starchy carb and protein. The other four are protein, fat and fruit/veggies. On non-lifting days, they're all protein, fat and fruit/veggies.
2. It'll feel more comfortable - you won't feel as hungry on the lower calories with higher fats and lower carbs.

These numbers are NOT etched in stone, and there does NOT have to be this great a differential in calories between the lower and the higher calorie days. It's just a suggestion on one way to cycle the calories and carbs. I like my higher calorie days to coincide with my higher carb days for lifting. It's just more pleasant.

Jorge Sanchez
10-27-2005, 04:15 PM
OK, thanks for the advice.

I don't think there's ever been a day in my life that I haven't eaten over 100g of carbs though. I think I might have to go a little higher than 90g.

I'm just glad there were no glaring problems with my diet. I'm new to this whole weight loss thing.

Built
10-27-2005, 04:17 PM
Pick numbers you can live with. No need to go ketogenic or anything. It's just for comfort. Try it with the higher fat. I think you'll be surprised.