PDA

View Full Version : Non-plain good tasting yogurt without hfcs?

Invain
10-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Any yogurt that I've tried so far with either fruit mixed in, or just flavoring, has high fructose corn syrup as like one of the top 5 ingredients. I've read in the past plain yogurt is the best and to stay away from anything with fruit in it, but I wondered if there was anything out there that is actually edible by it's self, and doesn't have a bunch of crappy addatives? There's no way I could just sit down and eat a bowl of plain yogurt...

ReelBigFish
10-26-2005, 10:23 PM
look for the ones that say "LITE" or "FATFREE" or "LOWFAT". Usually those don't have the added sugars, but use a sugar sub. Just have to read the labels, but I know they're out there.

Built
10-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Get plain, toss in a handful of thawed, frozen berries, and a bit of splenda.

anasthetic
10-26-2005, 10:51 PM
Built has the best suggestion you're gonna hear. I just wanted to add that you should never assume that something is low sugar or sugar free because it says it's low fat. In fact, more often than it has just as much, and often even more, sugar than the full fat version.

There is one low fat low sugar yogurt out there called "Dannon Lite N' Fit" which is sweetened with splenda. It may also have some added sugar, but at least part of the sweetness comes from splenda. The annoying thing about yogurt is that all of the carbs come from "sugar" so it's hard to figure out which of the "sugar" is lactose and which is actually added sugar.

Semi-relevent tangent: It would be awesome if in the nutrition info on food, they were required to reveal the source of each gram of carbohydrate. IE: For yogurt it might say:20 grams carbs from lactose, 10 grams carbs from sucrose.

ReelBigFish
10-26-2005, 11:15 PM
Get plain, toss in a handful of thawed, frozen berries, and a bit of splenda.

Once again, she prevails over all. :) Anesthetic is right, you shouldn't just think that because it says fat free or lite that it will be artificially sweetened, which is why I said you must read the ing. list to know for sure.

Built
10-26-2005, 11:20 PM
Semi-relevent tangent: It would be awesome if in the nutrition info on food, they were required to reveal the source of each gram of carbohydrate. IE: For yogurt it might say:20 grams carbs from lactose, 10 grams carbs from sucrose.

Oh, that would be wonderful!

And while I'm getting props for my ideas, here's another one:

Put lowfat cottage cheese in the blender with splenda and a few berries. Vanilla makes a nice addition.

It takes a while to blend, but it gets smooth. It comes out like really thick yogurt, and has a LOT more protein. I live on this stuff.

You can add a scoop of chocolate whey protein to it to make it like chocolate yogurt, and it's pretty good, too.