PDA

View Full Version : Got fat, regretting it - my plan

wannabeBigg
10-26-2005, 10:53 PM
Things went so well for a while, then during summer i got lazy. Im 16 years old and im about 220 lbs right now. The gym closed down the road from me and I stopped going and I probably gained about 30 pounds in what seems like no time.
I just signed up for a new gym this week and what im trying to do is drop down to atleast 200, and eventually below it, and cut my gut out completely. I just feel too big (im 16 years old, 5'11) This is what im wanting to do, and yalls critique would mean something:

1. Cut overall weight by cardio
Im running 4x a week almost a mile, and I've cut out cokes and high sugar foods
2. Gain muscle at the same time, but not really weight
Pretty much curls, squats, bench, etc. My arms are already pretty strong as I was not totally inactive, and I've always had strong legs. I really mainly want to lose my gut and bulk up.
3. Supplements
For now chromium and creatine, and im going to try to get my hands on some thermorexin.

Basicly, would my cardio and weight lifting mixed with the above supplements do what Im wanting, which is drop ALOT (main priority) of my body fat, while making me stronger. I have been told that i will probably notice weight loss but the lifting will make me seem more bloated than I already am and I dont want it to be like that. I really do not want to gain wait as i am getting pretty close to jaba the hutt

Any help/experience is appreciated

anasthetic
10-26-2005, 11:00 PM
Keep with the lifting it will be well worth it once you lose a few pounds. It takes a really long time to get big, much longer than the time duration of your cut. If you stay on a good lifting routine and eat a healthy diet with a reasonable caloric deficit, you will probably have gained a little bit of muscle by the time you finish your cut. At that point you can start slowly upping the calories and really serious start putting on muscle. Eating above caloric maintenance is what makes you get big, not a certain kind of lifting routine.

A good site for healthy weight loss is http://www.johnstonefitness.com . Read the stickies on nutrition for weight loss in the beginners forum. This site has a lot of great info on cutting, but it seems to be more geared toward those trying to bulk up.

wannabeBigg
10-26-2005, 11:06 PM
Well, I kinda have gone back to my old wrestling diet, no breakfast, no lunch, workout after school, semi-healthy dinner, smaller workout at night before bed. I really am not getting that many calories. for example all i have had to eat today is a 6" subway ham and turkey on wheat, a glass of unsweetened tea, and what probably equals out to less than half a mini bag of cheetos (and im a big guy). thanks for the link I will check that out now

tigo
10-27-2005, 01:39 AM
thats a little too low calorie wise i mean.. might cause a yoyo effect
you should drop calories slowly if youwant to keep the weight off other wise you will lose lean body mass as well as fat.

ShockBoxer
10-27-2005, 07:45 AM
I used to eat like that. It meant whenever I did indulge in a full day's eating (got a breakfast, ate out for dinner) it went RIGHT to my gut. 30 lbs in no time sounds about right.

I didn't start seriously losing until I made a conscious effort to eat breakfast and a moderate dinner. Since then I've seen the most controlled weight loss of my life because I came here and started getting three meals a day at a caloric deficit.

Fitday and the Diet and Fitness Forums are now two thirds of my personal holy trinity. Actually Doing It is the third.

Don't fall into the 'eat one meal and it's 1200 calories why aren't I losing?' metabolic rate screwing trap. Been there, done that...

wannabeBigg
10-27-2005, 01:25 PM
In the morning i could basicly eat (i think this would be healthy):
some type of fruit
protein shake

and my dinner usually consists (now) of a big portion of vegies and some lean meat (instead of country fried steak and white gravy, mashed potatoes)

Mercuryblade
10-27-2005, 04:28 PM
In the morning I like to take a banana, some frozen strawberries, a little plain yogurt, 2 scoops of nitrean, and some sugar (won't hurt in the morning cause the blood sugar is so low that an insulin spike won't occur) and some oatmeal, and mix it all up, tastes pretty good, and orange juice as a liquid base.

Built
10-27-2005, 05:43 PM
I don't think oj or sugar are such great ideas there - oj is basically just liquid sugar with a vitamin C added, and sugar is, well, sugar. Neither of these are good for anything except being yummy. Which is fine, just so long as you don't think of them as "health foods".

Not sure why you don't think you're going to get an insulin response from that ... am I missing something?

wannabeBigg
10-28-2005, 11:38 PM
its weird i can see my weight flucuating already, i wake up skinny in the mornings, heres what ive done

dont eat past 7
work out right after dinner
cut out cokes, doritos, etc.

but today i havent eaten a thing, and i have no desire to. i know starving isnt the answer, and my stomach is killing me, but heres what im thinking about doing, and i can pull this off almost forever:

6am - wake up, protein shake, protein bar
9am - protein bar
11:30am lunch - fruit/protein bar
2pm - fruit
6pm - dinner/whatever the parents make (generally not too bad for u)

everything in b/w is lots of water and workouts at around 3. i drink my creatine late at night, is this right. i think the above diet mixed with lots of cardio/workout can bust my gut/lovehandles noticably, while making my chest/arms/legs stronger and making me healthier. any input?

Built
10-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Why not eat past 7? I eat my last meal of the day just before I brush my teeth and go to bed. Usually cottage cheese with nuts.

Protein bars are basically just sh!tty tasting chocolate bars. They're crap.

Ditch them.

You need more fat. And more real food. Vegetables. Nuts. Natural peanut butter. Eggs.

No more bars, okay?

wannabeBigg
10-29-2005, 11:49 AM
i can throw in eggs at breakfast and lets of vegies at dinner. ditch the protein bars eat trail mix/granola bars during school (hard to get in a full meal there except at lunch)

Invain
10-29-2005, 12:04 PM
"ditch the protein bars eat trail mix/granola bars"

Granola bars are gonna be crap as well. Anything that has the word "bar" in it, and you buy from a store, should be avoided if possible.

spencerjrus
10-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Why try and lose all of that weight? Build some muscle mass while you have the strength advantage of being fat. Then cut down and show off the mass you have built.

MnM
10-29-2005, 02:41 PM
i would do less cardio and just lift heavy with a cleaner diet...you'll see results.

Built
10-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Yep. :)

ShockBoxer
10-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Granola bars are staple 'fillers' for me. I have one every morning when I get to work (it's the second half of my breakfast... first half is a protein shake). I didn't think they were that bad... 22 grams of carbs only 6 of which are sugar.

Built
10-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Maybe it depends a bit on the bar. I wouldn't recommend them on a cut. On a bulk, if you need a "filler", and there are no trans fats, sure.

wannabeBigg
10-29-2005, 10:12 PM
any suggestions?

Built
10-29-2005, 10:24 PM
For what?

wannabeBigg
10-30-2005, 01:23 AM
"Why try and lose all of that weight? Build some muscle mass while you have the strength advantage of being fat. Then cut down and show off the mass you have built."

yes im pretty strong but im worried that since im already big if i REALLY bulk up heavy that i will stay pretty much the same size just a helluva lot stronger. i really just want to lose the fat

Built
10-30-2005, 01:35 AM
The leaner you are going into a bulk, the better you'll partition into muscle.

The fatter you are going into a bulk, the more you'll partition into fat.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi40.htm

wannabeBigg
10-30-2005, 01:02 AM
wow that site has helped a lot, im bookmarking it. even though he doesnt strongly suggest the protein-sparing modified fasts (Fat Fast) im going to try it for a while, especially since this past week i have limited myself to under 600 a day and i feel great

thanks for the site thats what i was looking for

ShockBoxer
10-30-2005, 10:42 AM
Maybe it depends a bit on the bar. I wouldn't recommend them on a cut. On a bulk, if you need a "filler", and there are no trans fats, sure.

Why not on a cut? How many grams of sugar are too many?

Built
10-30-2005, 01:07 PM
No, it's not for that reason. You can get ripped to shreds eating sugar, if that's your goal. A carby, sugary cereal bar would be calories that would make me hungry. If they don't do that to you, and you love them, knock yourself out.

Personally, if I'm going to eat something for the empty calories, I'd prefer a good quality dark chocolate. But I wouldn't consider it health food, yanno?

ShockBoxer
10-30-2005, 01:50 PM
I've increased the big three lifts by at least 50% while eating less than 1800 calories a day on average. I'm ALWAYS hungry, now, no matter what my daily pie chart looks like.

Throw a granola bar into that and I don't even notice I ate. Hell, throw a six oz chicken breast into that and I don't even notice I ate....

Saint Patrick
10-30-2005, 07:59 PM

Well said, Built. A lean base is always the best way to start a bulk.

[[[----]]]
10-30-2005, 09:22 PM
man, I want to start a cut but im scared of losing too much strength and size right now, since my legs are just starting to show good improvement.

wannabeBigg
10-31-2005, 10:47 PM
This has pretty much been waht i have eaten in the past week

Morning - grapes/protein shake/protein powder
mid day - protein bar
lunch - nothing (ew school food)
dinner - (last night had LEAN flank steak and green beans/tonight i had lunch meat and a slice of cheese wrapped up in a low carb tortilla and 4 fried eggs *no butter)
night - protein bar/protein shake

lots of water

i take my creatine at night AFTER my workout and drink my protein shakes about 30 minutes after workout. is this the best way to do it?

with lots of exercise, and sticking to a diet like this (and supps), do u think I will be able to drop a very noticable amount of weight in the next 6 months?

bigsethmeister
11-04-2005, 04:45 PM

I'll be damned. I wonder about the validity of his data (wouldn't the fat subjects be much more likely to gain fat due to endomorphic genetics regardless of how low their bf% happens to be? as opposed to the lean subjects who may simply be mesomorphs and easily gain lbm w/ less fat gain) but if it is valid it's a real eye opener.

I was going to abandon my cut a bit early but after reading this I think I'd better stay with it back down to 9% or so.

xlaw42
11-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Eat smart.. when u wake up... before lift.. right after lift.. snack between lift and dinner, than dinner.. keep the calories burnt off more than calories consumed.. and do LOTS AND LOTS OF cardio with high rep weights pref 15-12-10 or 12-12-12 per exercises

spencerjrus
11-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Eat smart.. when u wake up... before lift.. right after lift.. snack between lift and dinner, than dinner.. keep the calories burnt off more than calories consumed.. and do LOTS AND LOTS OF cardio with high rep weights pref 15-12-10 or 12-12-12 per exercises

Stop posting please.

wannabeBigg
11-06-2005, 08:03 PM
my diet is kicking my ass, but i can already tell im slimmer.

question: what is so bad about going from a HIGH amount of calories (lets say like 2500) to trying to keep it under 1200, 1500 being the HIGHEST).

also, any reason why like sometimes when i wake up i am reallly slim looking, other times i look big. its a weird fluctuation

ReelBigFish
11-06-2005, 10:00 PM
the problem w/ dropping your cals that low, that fast is that, yes you'll lose weight quickly but less comes from fat and you weight loss will stall quickly and your metabolism will come to a crawl. It's at this time when your body is most likely to hold on to every ounce of fat and start burning muslce, big time.

Deathwish
11-13-2005, 02:24 AM
Things went so well for a while, then during summer i got lazy. Im 16 years old and im about 220 lbs right now. The gym closed down the road from me and I stopped going and I probably gained about 30 pounds in what seems like no time.

Yeah I'm in your shoes right now. I'm 19, 5'11" and I'm 210. Last summer I had gone from 200 to 176...then college happened. Goodluck to ya.

af92
11-13-2005, 05:16 AM
I couldn't imagine having 1800 calories a day! I would be starved like crazy! I love food MMMMMM! Of course I'm still bulking (clean) to 180.

wannabeBigg
11-13-2005, 10:38 PM
update - kinda weird thing with my body

damn i was lookin good like, last week. i weighed at 105 and damn i felt like my arms were ****in massive

this whole week now my arms are sooo small and even though i can still tell my gut/lovehandles are smaller they seemed to have fattened back up since last week. i dont have a scale at the house right now so i cant weigh myself but its weird.

im going to up my weights now and go a little heaver on the creatine, i havent been working out as much because i am out of protien powder and i started a job (i help out in the kitchen at a nice restaurant, been eating like a king)

ill let you know how it goes