PDA

View Full Version : Scale Question

The Great
10-27-2005, 05:26 AM
I was thinking of buying a new scale, the one I currently have is getting old and if I weigh my self 2 times in a row it varies by a pound or two. I was thinking about buying a physicians scale to be more accurate but I have also been looking at getting a digital floor scale. My question is about digital floor scales, I was looking at them at meijer and I noticed that some have body composition monitors. The box says that they are accurate but I want to know if any of you have used them and what your experiences's are with them. Did they work or not, how accurate are they or would you just go with a physicians scale.

HILL
10-27-2005, 05:47 AM
body composition ones will work for the average person but not for bodybuilders as far as im aware as people who train regular will hold more muscle than the average person putting your BMI up which would indicate you being obese when this isnt the case

The Great
10-27-2005, 05:54 AM
I see, Also is it worth the oney to buy a physicians scale or do ya'll recoend a floor scale.

HILL
10-27-2005, 06:31 AM
I suppose if you can afford it then it will be better however i bought floor scales as they were only 20 pound. i am not bothered about the weight i am i just need something that is going to be the same each week so i can make sure i am loosing weight if ya get my drift

Anthony
10-27-2005, 07:06 AM
I'm a big fan of healthometer scales. I have a digital floor version at home and it has matched several beam scales exactly.

I wouldn't recommend paying for a body fat scale since they are too inaccurate and inconsistent.

Edit: this is pretty similar to mine ... http://www.healthometer.com/productdetail.asp?id=77

The Great
10-27-2005, 12:18 PM
The only reason i asked about the body fat scale is they have one on sale for $20 at Meijer. I guess I will just buy another digital floor scale and save my self some money.

Genacide
10-27-2005, 12:52 PM
I got a BF scale for $35 last year. They aren't to accurate for actual BF%, but what I find it good for is tracking if their is a loss or gain in BF.

malkore
10-27-2005, 01:50 PM
on the BF scales, if you're properly hydrated when you use them, they do give a consistent reading. So while it may not be a true bodyfat %, you can at least use it to track trends in bodyfat levels.

just take the readings with a grain of salt, rather than as gospel.

Chiznarles
10-27-2005, 06:09 PM
i have a tanita body fat scale and it has this option for athletes who engage in physical activity 4 or more times per week. It generally gives at least a 5% less bodyfat reading than if i were to just use the setting for "normal" people. I found that this athelete setting was pretty accurate for myself, as I recently got my bodyfat measured with electronic calipers and it comes pretty close to the readings I've been gettgin on the scale.

That said, the scale can vary alot depending on the time of day that I measure my body fat. If i measure it after eating, or after waking up.. it will give me a different reading than say just before i go to bed.

I have been using it on and off for about 3 years now and it used to give me readings around 17% when i first started lifting.. now i get readings of around 11% which is close to where my current bodyfat is (within 1% or so).

I agree with malkore, use it to track trends in bodyfat levels.. not ACTUAL bodyfat.