PDA

View Full Version : Coffee... Good or Bad

hoser813
10-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Staying up late and having to wake up early has really taken a toll on me and its hard for me to get enough sleep in, so I have to take down some kind of caffine through out the day to stay alert, and have found myself drinking more and more coffee. Is it bad for you?

squat it all!
10-27-2005, 02:22 PM
my thesis advisor in grad school would drink 10-20 cups a day, and he was just fine. i love coffee as well, but not to that extent. however, it sounds like you need to really work on getting enough quality sleep. why do you stay up late and wake up early, if i may ask?

getfit
10-27-2005, 02:23 PM
i love coffee as well, but try to limit my intake i get super hyper on too much caffeine

Teufelhund
10-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Coffeeeeeee :drooling:

hoser813
10-27-2005, 02:46 PM
my thesis advisor in grad school would drink 10-20 cups a day, and he was just fine. i love coffee as well, but not to that extent. however, it sounds like you need to really work on getting enough quality sleep. why do you stay up late and wake up early, if i may ask?

college

LovinLiftin
10-27-2005, 07:13 PM
actually coffee studies have shown that 24 oz of coffee a day decreases your risk of Parkinson's disease by 40% and Alzheimer's by 20%, although they don't know why... I think its fine unless you load it with sugar

Sleepr
10-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Studies have shown coffee to have antioxidant properties.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Studies have shown coffee to have antioxidant properties.If it was shown to cause impotence and prostate explosions, would you still drink it for it's antioxidant properties?

Sleepr
10-27-2005, 10:10 PM
If it was shown to cause impotence and prostate explosions, would you still drink it for it's antioxidant properties?
I am not sure I understand your post. I was simply stating a finding of research. Do you have a problem with what I posted, because your post suggests attitude towards me.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-27-2005, 10:13 PM
I have no attitude towards you. I was just being sarcastic.

tigo
10-27-2005, 11:25 PM
black coffee.. with milk maybe no creamer or sugar :]

none of that starbucks stuff

Wild Cat McCane
10-27-2005, 11:38 PM
makes your teeth yellow. good enough reason for me to stay away.

HardToSquat
10-28-2005, 07:45 AM
I have never seen any bad effects from coffee and I drink the strongest pure black Grande sh1t you can get at Starbucks twice a day. Each Grande has at least 500mg of caffeine. Do I get hyper as hell at times, well..hell yes! Coffee does more good than harm from many research articles that I have read.

spanky33
10-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Staying up late and having to wake up early has really taken a toll on me and its hard for me to get enough sleep in, so I have to take down some kind of caffine through out the day to stay alert, and have found myself drinking more and more coffee. Is it bad for you?

the nutrigenomics professor in our dept. did a study to settle this question once and for all (since all the other studies showed mixed results). he actually broke everyone into two groups based on their DNA, no one else had ever done this. Slow metabolisers and fast metabolisers.

Based on which gene you have (for the CYP 1A2 enzyme), it's either good for you or bad. In both cases, greater than 4 cups a day was detrimental.

For the fast metabolizing group, 1-4 cups a day was BENEFICIAL.

For the slow metabolising group, 1 cup/day had no bad effect, but 2+ cups /day was detrimental.

Sleepr
10-28-2005, 08:42 AM
I have no attitude towards you. I was just being sarcastic.
Well in that case, then yes, I would drink it for its anti-oxidant properties because it would be kinda interesting to see if my prostate explodes.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-28-2005, 03:07 PM
LOL...I wouldn't recommend you try that.

Woodward
10-28-2005, 03:30 PM
I have been drinking about 6 cups a day.. It's my Diet Coke replacement. I used to have coffee just when I woke up, then about 3 Diet Cokes through the day. I feel better drinking coffee, and I love chugging it cold right before I head into the gym..

waynis
10-28-2005, 04:45 PM
caffeine is considered a drug. I think too much of any drug may have long term affects. Obviously addiction is a realistic concern. One day you realize you can't function without caffeine or you realize you need higher doses to get energy. I stay away from caffeine alltogether personally. I drink decaf green tea or occasionally real cocoa with milke and splenda.

Get consistant sleep, like go bed same time everynight and wake up same time every morning. And get atleast 8 hours a night. Thats really what u need to do.

pruneman
10-29-2005, 07:50 AM
Get consistant sleep, like go bed same time everynight and wake up same time every morning. And get atleast 8 hours a night. Thats really what u need to do.

that sure would be nice ;)

John04Civic
10-30-2005, 03:50 PM
I dont ever drink coffee and I can keep up with everyone who usually does drink it. I've noticed though when I do drink something caffinee heavy... I get REALLY hyper (maybe because I am not as used to it?)

Saint Patrick
10-30-2005, 07:54 PM
I can't start my day without it. Every morning I get a Starbucks Quad Espresso (that's 4 straight shots of espresso), with a little half & half. It might be eating a whole through my esophagus, but what the hell.