PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous protein amounts?

LovinLiftin
10-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Ok so I am a geek and I was reading a book by M.D.'s, the ones who did Clinton's triple/quadruple? bypass surgery.

In the book and I quote "Ultra high protein diets can accelerate bone loss. Large amounts of protein eaten every day-in amont of 140 grams a day- are believed to be threatening to your bones because the extra protein can cause your body to excrete calcium rather than absorb it."

Has anyone ever heard of this? They dont site a source here in the book so I was just wondering. I am trying to figure out if it is a good idea to take more calcium than my multivitamin has in it? They say caffiene does the same thing too which is like a double whammy...

Thanks in advance for thoughts on this, just wanna make sure when I am old the ol' bones hold up.

Built
10-27-2005, 07:27 PM
Well, I'm old, I take 1000 mg caffeine daily, and I usually consume about 200g of protein every day.

Probably gonna hear my spine shatter next time I squat 185 ...

dw06wu
10-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Unless there were multiple studies backing up this claim, I'd say opinions are like *******s dude.

drew
10-27-2005, 07:37 PM
It's funny, last night I had a bone scan and found out I may have osteopenia. I was shocked. I'm following up to see if I really have an issue with bone density, and what I can do about it. Whether this has anything to do with a high protein diet is near impossible to say. There are a lot of other factors. I'm lactose intolerant for one, which could definitely have contributed to a calcium deficiency throughout my life. This is something I'll do some research on and see if there is any foundation.

Manveet
10-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Any references?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-27-2005, 09:02 PM
It's funny, last night I had a bone scan and found out I may have osteopenia. I was shocked. I'm following up to see if I really have an issue with bone density, and what I can do about it. Whether this has anything to do with a high protein diet is near impossible to say. There are a lot of other factors. I'm lactose intolerant for one, which could definitely have contributed to a calcium deficiency throughout my life. This is something I'll do some research on and see if there is any foundation.Well...not getting enough calcium for a good part of your life wouldn't help anything. There were some studies done with protein that showed an increase in protein causing calcium to drop from the body into the urine...which would lead to an eventual problem with bone density later on, unless of course adequate calcium was supplied to the body. But that's about the only study I read about that had any correlation with bone density and increased protein intake. Also, at the end of your 20s is when the door closes for you to have maximum bone density. After that, no matter what you do your bone density slowly worsens over time. Weightlifting and such keeps the bones strong for longer, though.

LovinLiftin
10-28-2005, 04:31 AM
I am lactose intolerant as well, that is why I was so curious. I dont want osteoporosis when I get older. Its so common in older women and the only way to prevent it is at my age now. No study was referenced, which makes me leary, it was just nation renowned(?) docs saying this. I am in training this week at work so no computer all week, so I couldnt research it. Of course when I get home I go lift :).

Tony H
10-28-2005, 05:56 AM
Even if it is true, the amount of milk most of us drink probably would offset it. There's no way the body would ever excrete 100% of the calcium you take in. You would just die. There would be no bone density deficiency to worry about then.

pruneman
10-28-2005, 06:16 AM
Even if it is true, the amount of milk most of us drink probably would offset it. There's no way the body would ever excrete 100% of the calcium you take in. You would just die. There would be no bone density deficiency to worry about then.

I don't think that it is safe to assume that "most of us" drink a large enough "amount of milk" to not worry about osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is very common. My arguement is that exercise and a diet that includes appropriate amounts of calcium will have a much greater preventative effect on osteoporosis than avoiding protein and caffeine will.

Paul Stagg
10-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Don't forget the positive effects of resistance training on bone health... those of us eating 250g of protein a day are also lifting weights.

g00dnick
10-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Is 353grams of protein too much for a 160lbs. person?

briancurran01
10-28-2005, 10:59 AM
goodnick yes probably...you should take in 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per lb of body weight

malkore
10-28-2005, 12:43 PM
and does that study take into account how drinking soda pop ABSOLUTELY causes the body to leech calcium from teeth and bones to balance blood-calcium levels to counteract all the phosphorus in the bloodstream (from phosphoric acid in soda)?

yet another reason that soda pop is EVIL. if it doesn't rot your teeth, it'll weaken them from the inside out, along with your bones...because if your blood-calcium levels get off balance...you die. A smidge off and you get irregular heartrate...a smidge more off and the heart stops beating.

Paul Stagg
10-28-2005, 01:27 PM
That explains all the bodies.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-28-2005, 03:03 PM
I am lactose intolerant as well, that is why I was so curious. I dont want osteoporosis when I get older. Its so common in older women and the only way to prevent it is at my age now. No study was referenced, which makes me leary, it was just nation renowned(?) docs saying this. I am in training this week at work so no computer all week, so I couldnt research it. Of course when I get home I go lift :).I'm lactose intolerant as well and I take lactase enzymes and I have no problems drinking milk or whatever. Have you tried enzymes yet?

LovinLiftin
10-28-2005, 03:37 PM
malkore yes it mentions soda... but i dont drink that so no worry there for me. :)

scarz:i drink the way to expensive lactaid milk and take some lactaid when I want to eat other dairy but honestly I just usually avoid it...

pruneman: I don't plan on not eating my 1.5 grams of protein or taking my energy saving caffiene I am just curious if I should be uping my daily calcium dose due to the protein intake? The lifting will help the bone health only if I have enough calcium to give the bone when it wants it... come to think of it i don't know if there is a thing as too much calcium... or bad amount either

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
10-28-2005, 03:43 PM
scarz:i drink the way to expensive lactaid milk and take some lactaid when I want to eat other dairy but honestly I just usually avoid it...I don't drink lactaid milk either. I just use the supps. If I'm not using the supps, my stomach is ruined for the day.

tj_muller
10-28-2005, 06:56 PM
A trainer told me once the more you lift the less protein you need. So if you eat to much protein it will acutally be counter productive.
That's the only thing I've heard on "too much protein".

Built
10-28-2005, 06:57 PM
The more you lift, the LESS protein you need?

Because muscles are made out of air?

tj_muller
10-28-2005, 07:08 PM
No, they way he put it is like "you absorb it better" or something. I dunno, just what I heard.

Built
10-28-2005, 07:09 PM
Oh, I'm not really surprised at anything I hear from PTs anymore. Hell, I still see a lot of 'em putting people on high reps for cutting.

What do they TEACH these people? I KNOW there ARE some good ones, but, um, not many.

tj_muller
10-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Yea.. the guy was kind of young (and short).
From now on I get all my info from wbb ;)

SW
10-28-2005, 07:17 PM
I'll be a good one Built.

Maybe he was referring to how not much gets absorbed if you take it all at once?

Built
10-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Good boy, Nick.

I doubt he'd think you'd get LESS efficient at absorbing protein if you lift. I think he was just stupid.

smalls
10-28-2005, 10:00 PM
I'll be a good one Built.

Maybe he was referring to how not much gets absorbed if you take it all at once?

Even then it's a stupid thing to say, and obviously screwed up at least on persons outlook on protein intake.

Sleepr
10-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Oh, I'm not really surprised at anything I hear from PTs anymore.

Why do people call them PTs!? PT=Physical Therapist, not personal trainer

smalls
10-28-2005, 11:48 PM
You say tomato.

If this was some type of medical related board I could understand but we all understand the abbreviations.