PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain question

Coleman
10-28-2005, 12:02 AM
Right now I'm about 5'9 tall and weigh about 155 lbs which is pretty skinny I think. I need to gain about 15 lbs to get to 170 lbs. The reason I want to get to 170 is because I compete at either 155 lbs or 160 lbs and I want to be cutting from 170 for a strength advantage. Our weigh ins are over 24 hours before the competition so we have tons of time to rehydrate and such. I have one problem though. I train about 6 hours a week in thai kickboxing and jiu jitsu (3 hours each) and that kind of cardio workout makes it tough to make any gains. I manage to hit the weights twice a week with my schedule.

Is it even possible to gain weight with my kind of schedule? Grappling gives a very good muscular work out with lots of pushing, pulling and isometrics as well but it still isnt the same as weight training which I do get to do twice a week.

If I up my calories significantly, will I see an increase in muscle or will it be mostly fat? I do understand that any weight gains will be very slow and I accept that but I do want to put on some size.

Any help would be great.

RussianRocket
10-28-2005, 12:10 AM
If you up yuour cals too much you will definatly see some sagnificant fat increase. I would suggest slower bulk, cleaner which will keep your bf low.;

Coleman
10-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Okay, thats what I was thinking.

My main concern is with the training I'm doing. I understand that all the cardio I'm doing will severly hurt my gains but cutting back on cardio is not an option. One thing I will say though is the cardio we do is mostly anaroebic (sprints and explosive movements). I'm just wondering if grappling and limited weight training will provide enough to stimulate muscle gains.

I'm absolutely dead after a grappling class and my core and arms are very fatigued but I don't know if this will stimulate muscle growth like I want.

anasthetic
10-28-2005, 05:35 PM
If you are doing anaroebic cardio, a crucical element for you is gonna be pre, during and post workout nutrition.

Coleman
10-30-2005, 01:06 PM
I usually eat around 4 which is 2 hours before class then eat dinner at 8 which is 30 minutes after class. Class is from 600-730.

Built
10-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Okay, can you knock back a small protein shake with powdered oats in it about an hour before you go to class?

Then right away after, can you knock back a whey shake with dextrose/malto in it? That'll help a lot. Put creatine in this one if you're taking it.

Ironminded
10-30-2005, 02:42 PM
No amount of cardio will hurt weight gains as long as you are eating enough, remember as far as body weight goes if cal's in>cal's out there will always be weight gain. Go with what RussianRocket said though, a slower bulk, and cleaner for more muscle gain rather then just packing on the poundage.

One nice thing about doing the type of cardio that you do is that it shoudl be highly conducive to helping you put on muscle, so be happy for that.

Coleman
10-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys, thats sort of what I was thinking.

Built, I'm worried about taking too many cals in with shakes because they just seem to make me pack on the bodyfat really quickly. I think I'm going to stick with whole foods and just eat more. I may get an isolate powder though for extra protein.

Built
10-30-2005, 03:08 PM
You'll gain bodyfat if you eat more calories than you burn off.

Nothing magical about the shakes.