PDA

View Full Version : A question on calorie amounts and exercise during cutting.

HTD
10-29-2005, 12:29 AM
Simple question that I may have missed in my readings through countless threads here:

When calculating the caloric needs for the day, is the final number of calories before or after exercise? I don't want to calculate them wrong and throw a wrench into my gearwork by eating 1500 calories in food and then losing way too many through exercise and driving myself into starvation mode.

For right now I'm putting together all of my info and data to start a cut at a future date.

Since this is my first post I guess I should say something about what I've done already.

Last march I was 267 pounds of nasty lard from years of neglect and apathy. Today I am 161 pounds which has been my weight for the last 6 months or so because of moving across the country and taking care of business and whatnot. The methods I used to lose the weight initially were very unhealthy and possibly dangerous, after reading many threads here I revised my methods over the next year and saw better results. Sadly during my zeal for eating healthier I developed a pretty severe peanut allergy which damn near dropped me at work.

So uh, sup guys.

Built
10-29-2005, 01:11 AM
You don't calculate your caloric requirement. You measure it.

Track on www.fitday.com for a week.

To drop weight, cut calories by 10-20%.

To bulk, increase by roughly this margin.

HTD
10-29-2005, 12:03 PM
Will do, thanks.

ShockBoxer
10-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Hm. I don't factor in walking a half hour a day or even weight training to my caloric needs. I just took them for granted and tinkered with my numbers until I started losing. I'm sure that will bite me in the ass later.

Built
10-29-2005, 09:31 PM
I don't factor in my exericise levels either (cutting OR bulking).

Bottom line - your weight either changes, or it doesn't.

HTD
10-30-2005, 06:54 PM
I figured after getting to my current weight I'd be pretty close to my goal, but I still have quite a bit of grabbable fat on me. Would a normal physician do a caliper test during a checkup if I asked, do you think?

spencerjrus
10-30-2005, 06:58 PM
I figured after getting to my current weight I'd be pretty close to my goal, but I still have quite a bit of grabbable fat on me. Would a normal physician do a caliper test during a checkup if I asked, do you think?

Caliper tests really arent all that accurate. And what would the point be? If you have too much fat start eating less.