PDA

View Full Version : EFA supplementation;what is insuilin spike and y does it help and bulking ?'s

texlonghornz2
10-29-2005, 04:01 PM
first can someone explain the insulin spike to me in lamens terms. I am 17 and 6'4" and 213 lbs i need to get to 245 n approx 6 months for football. my bf% is around 9-11% and i dont care if i get to 15% i need to be 245. i have bulked before and went on a 5000 calorie diet and gained 20 lbs but i gained a lot of fat. i would like to revamp my whole diet starting out with caloric needs. I play 2 sports and workout a lot and work on weekends. I also would like to know how many grams of omega 3-6-9's you need a day and the cheapest way to get those. Also would like to know how to use the insulin spike theory b/c i did not use that last time. I will be on NO-Explode with protein glutamine some type of fat supp and pro bars and maybe BCAA's. And i workout about an hour after i wake up so i dont know how im going to get a pre wo shake and/or pwo shake. All of you help will be extremely helpful in my pursuit to go to Texas on a scholarship for football. I play Strong side defensive end by the way.

Built
10-29-2005, 04:12 PM
Insulin is a storage hormone.

High blood sugar levels are toxic to the body, so insulin is stimulated to take this toxic level down by storing it in your tissues (muscle or fat).

Heavy weightlifting wrecks a bunch of muscle. This is good from a partioning point of view. Because the demand for raw materials is higher in this newly-damaged muscle tissue than it is in the fat cells, your insulin sensitivity post workout is higher in your muscle tissues than your fat cells.

This is how we wish we could ALWAYS be.

An insulin spike in this post-workout window will shuttle basically everything you've got into the muscle cells.

So a fast-acting protein like whey is a good thing at this time. So is creatine, since it will be shuttled in there as well.

Have the dry shake beside your bed, with water. Wake up, shake it up, knock it back.

Train.

Have another shake when you finish.

You can even drink a well-diluted one, with dextrose in it, WHILE you train.

You might consider putting ground oatmeal into your pre-lifting shake, since it's an hour before you train.

Don't bother with the glutamine or BCAAs. Just stick with whey, dextrose/maltodextrin, and possibly the powdered oatmeal for the pre-workout shake. (grind the oatmeal in a coffee grinder - makes a nice fine powder. THEN add the whey, and the water).

Make any sense?

For omega 3, I take 10g fish oil daily. You can most certainly take more. This tends to help partioning, and a bunch of other good things in your body.

Most folks get a lot of omega 6 and 9 in their diet, so I don't generally recommend supplementing with those. Personally, I tend to avoid "balanced" oils for this reason. We're already out of balance. Just add in the one that's missing - Omega 3.

Eat natural peanut butter as a source of the other oils if you like. Also, avocado, olive oil, butter (healthy, natural saturated fat is good for test production).

Ditch the NO. It doesn't do anything.

No protein bars either. They're crap.

Built
10-29-2005, 04:17 PM
To summarize, here's what I would suggest for you:

Wake up: knock back whey with ground oats in water

Train: sip dilute whey with dextrose/maltodextrin: Try 15 to 20 grams of protein and 25 to 50 grams of combined carbohydrates diluted in no less than one liter of water. Sip this throughout your workout.

Post workout: whey with dextrose/maltodextrin and creatine. 0.8g/kg LBM carbs:0.4g/kg LBM protein.

Post post workout: food. Lots of it. Protein, carbs, fat. All day long. Trickle in your fish oil with meals.

Bedtime snack: cottage cheese with natural peanut butter (awesome on apple chunks).

Make SURE you overeat at all times.

texlonghornz2
10-29-2005, 04:35 PM
well how many calories should i include and how many meals and for breakfast should i have it or should i just drink a shake and then workout then drink another shake? and why are protein bars bad?

Built
10-29-2005, 07:46 PM
You have to eat over maintenance to gain.

Only you can know how much that is.

If you don't gain, eat more. If you gain too much fat, eat less.

Do your morning the way I described it - wake up, knock back whey with powdered oats, train with your dilute shake if you like, knock back your postworkout shake, then eat whatever you want.

Protein bars are basically over-priced, crappy candy bars with protein in 'em. You're better off eating food. Hardboiled eggs, natural peanut butter, cottage cheese, tuna, raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans...) chicken breast - all good for you. Pack a bunch of nuts in a baggie and snack on 'em - healthy fats anyway. Good source of calories.