PDA

View Full Version : PWO Shake? Chocolate Milk?

Metro
10-29-2005, 08:20 PM
I've noticed that Chocolate milk (+Natty PB) had a decent protein:carb ratio when I add a scoop of whey to it. What do you guys think of this as a PWO shake? Any of the sugars within it provide a decent insulin spike?

I've been trying to decide on whether to go to the Malto/Dex PWO or just stick with something like the chocolate milk. Would it be a good idea to mix the two for the best results? Thanks.

Built
10-29-2005, 09:29 PM
The ideal is whey with malto/dex.

Chocolate milk with PB would be sub-optimal. The sugar in chocolate milk is sucrose, not malto/dex, so you get half fructose, half dextrose - only half is taken up preferentially by muscle glycogen. The other half is taken up preferentially by the liver.

The fat slows the insulin response, and the rate of gastric emptying.

Better than going hungry post workout, to be sure. But if you have the choice, it's easy to see which one is the better option.

Metro
10-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Thank you. Guess I better get my butt in gear on ordering the malto/dex combo for the whey!

Manveet
10-29-2005, 09:53 PM
Chocolate milk is just fine man.

Metro
10-29-2005, 10:16 PM
It looks like it'll do....but if the dextrose inside the PWO whey shake does a little better job...I'm gonna give it a shot.

I'll just work in the extra helping of Natty PB some other time of the day. ;)

Built
10-29-2005, 10:25 PM
Yeah, fats later in the day are awesome.