PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Granola in NYC

Rrolack
10-30-2005, 10:06 PM
I don't know if I'll hav any luck with this one, but here goes: I've mostly ditched my cereal breakfast in favor of granola, since it's less processed, has more protein, etc. However, I've found that most granolas have around 7g of fat per serving, while the brand I buy (Back to Nature) has only 2.5g of fat per serving. Only problem is, this granola costs $6 a pound at my local market in Manhattan.

Was wondering if any board memebrs know where to buy cheaper, low-fat granola in NYC. I don't know if I can bring myself to buy $6 a pound granola much longer.

Built
10-30-2005, 10:08 PM
Granola is basically just crushed oatmeal cookies. Not the best way to meet your nutritional requirements.

You want cereal - eat oatmeal. Artificially sweetened. What else do you eat for breakfast - what do you use for protein - shake? Eggs? Cottage cheese?

spencerjrus
10-30-2005, 10:50 PM
However, I've found that most granolas have around 7g of fat per serving, while the brand I buy (Back to Nature) has only 2.5g of fat per serving.

What is the problem? Even if you ate granola 4 times a day that wouldnt even be 30g of fat.

Rrolack
10-30-2005, 10:58 PM
You want cereal - eat oatmeal.

I really dislike oatmeal, though maybe I'll have to try it a few more times. Unfortunately, the oatmeal they have at my office cafeteria looks terrible.

What else do you eat for breakfast - what do you use for protein - shake? Eggs? Cottage cheese?

Along the same lines as above, there are a lot of foods I don't like, eggs included. I may be able to wean myself onto oatmeal, but I'm pretty sure I'll never get myself to eat eggs. The rest of my breakfast consists of a bagel and some fruit (apple, banana). I'm not using a protein shake, though I may need to change that.

If granola really isn't such a great food, is it at least better than a regular cereal, Cheerio's for instance?

Built
10-30-2005, 10:59 PM
He said he was eating granola for the protein.

I suggested it's not that great in this regard.

Rrolack
10-30-2005, 11:02 PM
He said he was eating granola for the protein.

I suggested it's not that great in this regard.

I originally thought that granola had more protein than just regular cereal, since there are 6g per serving vs. 3 in Cheerio's. However, I just realized that a serving of granola is 53g, while a serving of Cheerios is 30g. This makes them pretty much the same in their protein content by weight. I wonder if I can return this granola I just bought? :)

Built
10-30-2005, 11:11 PM
6 grams is only trivially higher in protein than 3g.

Most of us here eat 200+ grams of protein daily.