PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why alcohol is bad for bodybuilding

Davidelmo
10-31-2005, 07:08 PM
There was a thread a while ago asking about the effects of alcohol etc and I just thought I'd post my experience from this weekend.

I'm small 140lbs 5ft 8 but I've gained around 5lbs since I started bulking, trying really hard to eat more calories from good foods etc. Anyways, I'm a Uni student and went to a huge party on Saturday and got pretty wasted.

That night I skipped my evening meal and snack and totalled only around 2000kcal for the day. To make matters worse this was a day when I had gone to the gym too.

Of course, the next day I felt like **** and woke up at 1pm.. missed breakfast and mid-morning snack and didnt feel well enough to eat a proper lunch. I forced down a bowl of porridge (oats) ~300kcal but couldn't stomach any more.
Also I was very dehydrated, my mouth was dry and I had a crazy headache.

It was evening time by the time I could face eating a decent meal again.

I actually *felt* smaller and weaker too, which was weird, and my energy was depleted.

It also buggered up my program for Sunday too and again I had a day of poor diet- probably because I hadnt eaten much the day before.

It's Monday night now here and I'm almost back on track. I went to the gym today and only just managed to meet last Mondays workout (I'm on WBB1).
Every time I do the same day I try to improve on the last one and I have succeeded every time up until this week.

I put it down to the poor diet for the last two days which had left me pretty depleted in energy.

I guess in conclusion, alcohol is fun but as well as messing you up medically it wrecks any schedules etc that you have, which is NOT good for those trying to gain weight!!

reloaded
10-31-2005, 10:45 PM
Tip: Have a few drinks, but don't get wasted. I prolly drink 2 - 3 times a week, but I don't ruin my diet by drinking it to hell. I wake up with great energy after a good night's sleep even after drinking.

HILL
11-01-2005, 03:03 AM
At the end of the day alcohol is bad for you. it effects protein sysnthesis i believe and many other things. my opinion on drinking is that you drink to get drunk or dnt drink. I see no need to have a pint or 2 as it doesnt taste the best thing in the world and does you no good. At the moment im cutting and trying to limit my drinking 2 once a month as i find when i drink on a sat night my diet gets messed up all sunday and i still feel like **** for training on monday. Try and keep it 2 once a week i would say

Davidelmo
11-01-2005, 03:58 AM
Yep, alcohol inhibits a lot of enzymes and membrane transporters throught the body.. it really messes you up.

Since I'm pretty serious about gaining weight, I dont think I'll go out on a binger for a while now.

muscleup
11-01-2005, 07:14 AM
Simple solution: Don't drink

I don't...

IRN-BRU
11-01-2005, 07:56 AM
I get wasted once or twice every week. That's been true at least 95% of weekends for the past 10 years. I'm in pretty good shape and health, always been naturally "stocky". I've made good progress.

I wonder if there's anyone out there who used to drink every weekend for a long period, while also working out regularly. Who cut down significantly, and how it affected their body composition before and after.

Please don't just answer with scientific bullsh*t, only real experience counts. When was the last time you saw a study of binge drinking body builders over a 10 year period?

accuFLEX
11-01-2005, 08:51 AM
^you need help man

HILL
11-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Last from 2002 at the start of college till 2004 end of that year i went out and got wrecked atleast once a week for most weeks. Its only been since april of this year that i cut my drinking down to once a month maybe twice. I have seen significant improvements since then. However at the same time i also joined this website and my knowledge has grown imensly since then so its hard to tell what from what. The only thing i can tell for sure is that i wish i hadnt spent those 2-3 years on the drink all the time and put some hard work and dedication in. Then i may look even half as good as BCC who is only a year older than me rather than the fatty i see in the mirror now. However after a good bulk i am cutting down and will hopefully get good results

IRN-BRU
11-01-2005, 09:41 AM
^another kid with no facts, and no clue, thinks he knows better. Drinking is better than weight lifting in many respects, imho, there is no rule for everyone. You're welcome to apply your blinkered opinions to yourself.

In some respects your 'obsession' with bodybuilding is a bit OTT and you could do with some help. Of course, I wouldnt know enough about your situation.

Anyone actually drink lots of alcohol around here, so we can have some valid discussion of its effects?

HILL
11-01-2005, 09:47 AM
you talking to me IRN - BRU??

Invain
11-01-2005, 10:01 AM
^another kid with no facts, and no clue, thinks he knows better. Drinking is better than weight lifting in many respects, imho, there is no rule for everyone. You're welcome to apply your blinkered opinions to yourself.

In some respects your 'obsession' with bodybuilding is a bit OTT and you could do with some help. Of course, I wouldnt know enough about your situation.

Anyone actually drink lots of alcohol around here, so we can have some valid discussion of its effects?

So why are you on these forums anways? If getting tanked is that important to you then go out and do it. Quit mis-informing other people on here, we don't need somebody going around telling all the kids just starting out and learning a lot that "drinking is better than weight lifting in many respects"...

IRN-BRU
11-01-2005, 10:07 AM
No sorry HILL, you nipped in. I was talking to accuFLEX before.

Good to hear about that HILL. It is a pity the other circumstances coincide with your reduction in alcohol, from a research perspective of course.

Maybe I'll do a test on myself.. err.. in the new year. And do a 2 month test cut with no booze and see how it compares to previous cuts.

pruneman
11-01-2005, 10:09 AM

Let me list for you a few of the effects of "drinking lots of alcohol."
Fibrosis of the liver
ascites
ulcur/gastritis
gynocomastia
hemorrhoids
esophogeal varicosities
anemia

...the list goes on.

My comment is not ment to be rude. I can tell you for a fact that consumption of large amounts of alcohol will cause you problems down the line. The detrimental effects of excessive alcohol consumption cannot be denied. Choosing to ignore the effects of excessive alcohol consumption is a personal choice, but for you to argue that drinking "lots of alcohol" is not unhealthy is simply not "valid."

TheGimp
11-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Please don't just answer with scientific bullsh*t, only real experience counts.

Oh boy.

pruneman
11-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Please don't just answer with scientific bullsh*t, only real experience counts.

Real experience? Ok. Last week, I held the fibrotic liver of a man who died at the age of 50 from liver failure. That's a pretty real-life experience.

HILL
11-01-2005, 10:24 AM
I must say i know for fact as everybody does drinking is bad however i believe gains can be made while excessive drinking takes place however i believe the gains you would make would be minimul compared to if you werent drinking however it is nice to wind down sometimes. Maybe its just me but if i drink on a sat night and get trashed like i do im will suffer in the gym on monday which will include strength decreases and i become out of breath very easily. Also my diet goes to shreds as when ure pised you really have to eat something you know is bad for you out of principle. Their is no doubt alcohol is detrimental in a very bad way however gains may be made but they will not compare to gaisn without drinking in my opinion

IRN-BRU
11-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Invain, I'm here to learn about body building. I don't think anyone would take what I said and believe drinking was harmless, without risk, or without consequences. People abuse alcohol through choice, sometimes through addiction, and that is a serious issue. I was just discussing the topic.

Saying "go and get tanked up, why are you here"... is immature, and harmful. Say I take your comment badly, give up weightlifting, get out of shape because of it, and die aged 40 with a heart attack... Would that make you feel better? You've got one over on the bad alcoholics eh.

Back to the topic. Yeah a hangover made me skip kickboxing on Sunday morning... Probably saved me a concussion:-) Seriously though, if you drink alcohol, you can't be a pussy in the morning, you have to stick to your plans!

pruneman
11-01-2005, 10:41 AM
I appologize. I suppose I came off as harsh. The point I am trying to make is that the damage done by alcohol abuse is far more serious than its affect on your workouts. You can live without big muscles (some may argue this ;)) but you cannot live without a liver.

HILL
11-01-2005, 10:42 AM
I agree but even with sticking to my plans my workout is never as good and i know a few people who are the same. Dnt get me wrong i love a good all day session but ive realised ive done this every week for the past 3 years if i wanna get rid of this belly ive had since i was 12/13 im guna have to buckle down because i am going to have a six pack and it doesnt matter what i have to do or how long it takes am guna get my bf down under 15%

Davidelmo
11-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Whoa, this turned into a big fight pretty quick! lol.. oops!

Drinking once or twice a week is not bad for you.. in fact there are some health benefits.

However getting wasted once in a while does wreck your routine, spoil your diet etc.

Alcohol dependence etc is a whole different story.
Pruneman is right - the list of alcohol-related problems is massive and pretty awful.

I'm not condemning alcohol - I'm just saying that it shouldn't have much place in the life of someone who is serious about trying to gain weight.

[[[----]]]
11-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Here's a cool read from the John Berardi site:"Although Flintstones vitamins probably do not impact T, many recreational, prescription, and OTC drugs do. Lets start with everyone's favorite drug, alcohol. In my opinion, alcohol is the single best legal Testosterone suppressor known to mankind. And you don't need a biochemistry experiment to realize that. Just look at the physique of any alcoholic for the evidence. And not only do chronic alcoholics suffer from low T as a result of sippin' a cold one. Numerous studies have shown that even one night on the town can cause T levels to plummet.

In one particular study, men consumed the equivalent of giving 200 ml of alcohol to a 176-lb man. While intoxicated, T levels were 25% lower on average than before consumption. In addition, the time course of T decrease correlated exactly with blood alcohol so when blood alcohol was the highest, blood T was the lowest.(17) With even lower doses, T levels remained suppressed for 10-16 hours, even after blood alcohol returned to normal.(23,24)"

[[[----]]]
11-01-2005, 11:18 AM
OH and this :

"As a side note, one question I'm often asked by men concerns why they get so aroused when drinking. Well gents, in addition to the decrease of inhibitions, the body is fighting to maintain Testosterone homeostasis. As a result, high amounts of LH are released in order to bring T levels back to normal. As mentioned earlier, LH is correlated more with arousal than T, so that's why you get horny, you dogs. The problem, though, is that high LH secretion is ineffective at increasing T during an alcoholic stupor. Alcohol, you see, prevents T production at the Leydig cell level and not at the pituitary level. So you're arousal is up, but T stays down."

HardToSquat
11-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Ok all. I can give a real life weightlifting example of when I drank like a fish and worked out and when i stopped drinking this year and the results.

Between May 2004 and October 2004 I lifted and drank way too much. How much? I was up to drinking almost a bottle of wine a night every night and working out once or twice a week. I was hammered almost every night. My results on this wild several month drinking binge is as follows:

May 2004

Weight=245
Height 6'3

Squats 165
Dumbbell Bench 70
Chin Pulldowns 220
HS Lateral Raise 105
Weighted Dips BW+55

October 2005

Bodyweight 255-260

Squats 135
Dumbbell Bench 60
Chin Pulldowns 165
HS Lateral Raise 95
Weighted Dips BW

As you can see all of my lifts only went down no matter how hard I tried to lift...and drink heavily. I pretty much quit drinking all together when my son was born and the following were\are the results of my training with no alcohol:

February 2005
Bodyweight: 255
Height: 6'3

ATF Squats 135x10
Deadlift 135x10
Dumbbell Bench 70x8
Chin Pulldowns 140x8
HS Lateral Raise 90x6
Weighted Dips BWx2
DB Sidebends 60x8
HS Crunch Machine 120x10

CURRENT

Bodyweight 225

ATF Squats 250x12
Deadlift 275x8
Dumbbell Bench 100x6 (200lb total)
Chin Pulldowns 215x6
HS Lateral Raise 125x5
Weighted Dips BW+90x5
DB Sidebends 100x4
HS Crunch Machine 250x5

IRN-BRU
11-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Guys please. I didnt mention whether it's healthy or not. It is bad for you.

I have researched alcohols effects on health already. At the end of the day, I was only interested in hearing some stories about gains made after cutting down alcohol, I dont need a lecture I'm not a baby.

My last cut, I plateued, so now I'm bulking. I dont have trouble gaining weight, it's cutting that is tricky. I think I'm going to cycle my weight just above my natural bodyfat level, so my body doesn't try to stop me. Next cut, I will be cutting back alcohol as I drop fat, so I don't plataeu(err sorry cant spell it atm) so fast and see if it helps me get lower.

IRN-BRU
11-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Interesting about the T study.

Makes me wonder about another T study I saw. Where competitive behaviour (karting) in men sent T levels through the roof, and in the same race T levels in women were constant. They concluded the T elevation (to some degree) enhanced performence, too big a spike caused excessive risk taking and reduced race performance.

I wonder then... If regular competitive testosterone charged activities would actually help our bodybuilding efforts. Bring on the extreme sports! Extreme sports while drunk! :-)

dw06wu
11-01-2005, 12:40 PM
I get plastered most fridays and saturdays and I've managed to make some pretty good strength gains. It definitely hurts cutting, though. I've never really been able to pull a successful cut while drinking. Hoping to curb the boozing a little this time around and stick with it. I've lost 3lb so far :)

Davidelmo
11-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Interesting about the T study.

Makes me wonder about another T study I saw. Where competitive behaviour (karting) in men sent T levels through the roof, and in the same race T levels in women were constant. They concluded the T elevation (to some degree) enhanced performence, too big a spike caused excessive risk taking and reduced race performance.

I wonder then... If regular competitive testosterone charged activities would actually help our bodybuilding efforts. Bring on the extreme sports! Extreme sports while drunk! :-)

It would!

If you try a rollercoaster before a workout it would be awesome!!

spencerjrus
11-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Last saturday was actually the first time someone handed me a beer, I started drinking it and about halfway through it said to myself "this might hurt my gains", and put it down.

I know, I'm gay.

[[[----]]]
11-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Yeah, ive actually made really good gains drinking a couple times a week for a while...from 170 to 200. Im down to like once or twice every couple weeks now.

waynis
11-01-2005, 06:27 PM
I drank heavily from age 17-20 and also lifted. Sure I had some gains but I never really felt I was getting too far. I think mostly due to the drop of test and lack of energy post drinking would give me. When I got to age 21 I started to drink a lot less and now its occasionally and when I do its always moderation. The difference I see is test levels booming. Energy is a lot higher and I feel stronger when I lift. Drinking in moderation I think i've been able to get away with it but drinking heavily will ruin a day or so in the gym for me. As I get older it seems less and less I can handle alcohol in soo many ways. I did a lot of damage from 17-20 years old. I think people strongly underestimate the power of alcohol. sure some may be able to get away with it for awhile but it eventually catches up with yah.

rk77
11-01-2005, 07:24 PM
I find that I lift heavier after a night of drinking. I eat clean and workout constatly but I feel that I want to have fun as well. I drink a few times a week and it hasn't hurt my six pack at all. I am not saying drink all the time because I dont either. I just wont let lifting run my life by makin me stay in on weekends and not goin out with my buddies. Thats just sad. Im not sayin I'm right or anyone else is wrong thats just how I feel.

spencerjrus
11-01-2005, 09:00 PM
I find that I lift heavier after a night of drinking. I eat clean and workout constatly but I feel that I want to have fun as well. I drink a few times a week and it hasn't hurt my six pack at all. I am not saying drink all the time because I dont either. I just wont let lifting run my life by makin me stay in on weekends and not goin out with my buddies. Thats just sad. Im not sayin I'm right or anyone else is wrong thats just how I feel.

I feel ya man, I hate telling friends I wont party because I'm more concerned about my body, but its important to me. Achieving the perfect physique requires sacrifice, and I consider binge drinking to be part of that.

gymnast
11-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Last saturday was actually the first time someone handed me a beer, I started drinking it and about halfway through it said to myself "this might hurt my gains", and put it down.

I know, I'm gay.

no you're not; its self-discipline, dedication etc., and only a handful of people have this dedication.

BG5150
11-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Jeez! Heck, Arnie had some beers every now and again. He turned out alright.

gymnast
11-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Jeez! Heck, Arnie had some beers every now and again. He turned out alright.

I got nothing against a few beers, just that all the people I know, when they drink, they really drink. They have no self-control at all; and they wonder why they don't make any gains at the gym :rolleyes:

HILL
11-02-2005, 03:03 AM
As iv stated earlier i dont see the point in having a drink or 2 as it doesnt taste nice enough in my eyes anyway and doesnt do ya ne good. I maybe drink once a month or am trying to limit it to that at the moment but when i drink i liked to get smashed and get carried away. Its not good but once a month i dnt see it being that bad and i take milk thistle as well

hardgainer169
11-02-2005, 08:53 AM
I dont need a lecture I'm not a baby

yes, drunkard they know your not a baby babies can't type!

IRN-BRU
11-02-2005, 11:14 AM
HILL, after a few years a good beer really will taste better than sex. I never used to like the taste either, but it grows on you. Like the taste of wine, tomatoes, mushrooms, brussel sprouts and all those other things kids hate. :-)

hardgainer, please. That is a crap insult. My dick weighs 150. Learn proper grammar and punctuation, put on a few pounds and come back when you're a big grown up.

getfit
11-02-2005, 11:51 AM
calm down with the personnal attacks.

Thanks carry on

HILL
11-02-2005, 02:29 PM
To be honest im a southern comfort and lemonade man myself love the stuff

TheGimp
11-02-2005, 05:11 PM
To be honest im a southern comfort and lemonade man myself love the stuff

My drink of choice also :thumbup:

spencerjrus
11-02-2005, 05:35 PM
My drink of choice also :thumbup:

And most of the girls I know. :rolleyes:

Men drink beer, or shots.

gymnast
11-02-2005, 05:44 PM
And most of the girls I know. :rolleyes:

Men drink beer, or shots.

beer is for babies, when you grow up you drink milk ;)

hardgainer169
11-03-2005, 10:58 AM
cant wait till im a big grown up and my dick is 83% of my body weight. What a badass.

getfit
11-03-2005, 11:00 AM
i think everybody made their point in this thread, time for a closure