PDA

View Full Version : 138 Pounds of Furious Wimp

Simon96Taco
10-31-2005, 08:41 PM
Well, Let's try this again. Last online journal was for a HST cycle that I stopped making journal entries on. Goal again, is to pack on lean mass. I will try to bulk until the end of March, or until I'm so fat I can't live with myself anymore.

I'm going back to WBB1, as I seemed to make much better gains on this than I did on HST.

Title has changed because I've packed on some lbs (all fat - thanks to a 3 month absence from the gym). 138 lbs as of this morning post-workout. I'd liek to be 155 (ish) when I start cutting.

First day was today. Left my house at 5 am to get to the gym before work. Feels kinda good in a sick way! I will attach a spreadsheet of my slightly modified WBB1, and the weights I'm pushing filled in. If anyone wants to critique/comment please feel free to go ahead!!

Will keep a journal on Fitday again. Seems the only way to get enough calories is to keep close tabs on them. Will post the link once it's set up.

I have attached the excel spreadsheet, with today's info filled in. My bodyweight is at the top, in pounds, by the date. I will update this as I go along.

Note: I expect the first few weeks the weights will go up quite a bit. Don't be impressed...the first day or two I am taking it a little bit easy, so I don't hurt myself - it's been a few months. Also, I know I used to lift more than these first numbers, so I'm HOPING they go up fairly quick ; )

Edit: Changed my pre-cutting weight to 160 as my goal in Fitday

Simon96Taco
11-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Didn't get much sleep last night...only about 4-5 hours max. Woke up feeling like sh1t, but got to the gym.

Last night, I felt something strange in my left knee. Not really pain, but a twinge or something. First couple squats turned that twinge into real pain. Don't know what the hell it is, but it screwed up my leg day. Pinching pain underneath my left kneecap - towards the upper part. I bypassed the squats and decided to keep the exercises pretty light for my first leg day in months (don't want to mangle myself too bad).

Also threw in some ab work on the weighted crunch machine.

Here's the new sheet attached.

Have to get round to updating my Fitday account, and will soon start posting that too.

Simon96Taco
11-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Yesterday's workout went OK. Again, I kept it really light for the first day. Next week I'm not going to take it so easy. Had a busy/rough week at work, so I went after work (5pm) rather than before work (530 AM)

New spreadsheet is attached. Also placing the link to my FitDay journal in my signature. I really gotta keep up to date in FitDay, it's the only way I can make sure I'm eating enough.

Simon96Taco
11-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Week 2 and I at least haven't missed a workout. Will be working on my day off tomorrow, so I will go to the gym on Friday as usual (normally when I get a Friday off, I would workout on Thursday and take Fri/Sat/Sun off).

Have worked long hours in the last two days and not been great about my diet. Haven't kept up to date in FitDay, but I'd be surprised if I was taking in more than 2000 calories the last 2 days.

Too lazy to go outside to my vehicle and get my marked up copy of the spreadsheet, so I will attach it tomorrow...or something.

Simon96Taco
11-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Attached the latest sheet.

November 9th - arm day. I worked out at a different gym, and used set weight barbells, instead of the ez-curl bar. I wasn't able to lift what I thought I had been lifting before - which makes me think I am overestimating what the ez-curl bar itself weighs.

If anyone is reading, does the ez-curl bar weigh 20 pounds? or is it less? I'm thinking it must be less, judging by Friday's experience. Even 5 pounds is a big difference when you have arms as small as mine hahahaha.

My weight hasn't gone up at all in two weeks. Not surprisingly. I haven't stuck to keeping a fitday journal, and I know that there is no way I have been taking in 2500 cals a day (my goal). Work is such a burden right now it's hard enough to even get to the gym when I'm supposed to, let alone cooking/planning around my feedings for the day.

Simon96Taco
11-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Today's workout comes a day late, and in the evening rather than morning. Work still nuts, but I'm doing OK I think. Diet not great, but getting a little better (taking in more calories).

I never made room on the sheet for ab work, so I will just post in the body of the message until I decide how to do that. Will go back and edit posts accordingly. Ab work for the time being consists of a weighted crunch type machine (cable and plates).

In addition to what's on the attached spreadsheet, I did this for abs:

11 x 90lbs
8 x 90lbs
8 x 90lbs
8 x 90lbs

Fairly happy with the gains so far in the ab-work.

Chinups are saddening though.

Edit:
Finally gained a little weight...only 1 pound total, in 2.5 weeks...diet's to blame.

Simon96Taco
11-23-2005, 09:43 PM
After today I'm not so sure that 5:30AM is a good start time for working out on leg day. I died in there. Couldn't get through it. I skipped the stiff leg deadlifts. Partly because I don't think I'm doing them right, and partly because I was so exhausted.

In addition to the sheet, did ab machine as follows:

5x95 lbs
8x80 lbs

Then I quit those too. My stomach was seriously hurting. I think I overdid it, or did not have enough time to heal since the last leg/ab day (last ab day I did 6 days ago, instead of the usual 7, and I swear it made a difference).

Incidentally, I think my chest/back day (Nov21) suffered for the same reason. Instead of doing arms/shoulders on Friday, I delayed them till Saturday. That left only Saturday to recover before doing chest (as opposed to the usual Saturday/Sunday that I have to recover). If you look at my numbers for that day, you can see they are pretty poor. I was also super tired that day...felt like absolute crap. My chest is still sore from that one....

New sheet attached.

Edit: Also wanted to add, if anyone is reading - do other people out there have trouble with keeping their back straight when doing military presses? I switched the bench position from being *almost* vertical, to *totally* vertical, and it had a drastic effect on how much I could lift (I made the switch from the Nov4 workout to the Nov11 workout - you can see by the spreadsheet what it did to me). Not only can I lift less, but I feel my stomach pushing out, and I feel major tension in my upper back. It's hard to describe, but does anyone out there have this problem? If so, should I be reducing the weights and keeping the seat vertical, or should I go back to having the very slight decline in the seat back?

Bohizzle
11-23-2005, 09:53 PM
I've always done shoulder presses on the almost vertical setting, not completely vertical.

Andrew

Simon96Taco
11-23-2005, 10:04 PM
I've always done shoulder presses on the almost vertical setting, not completely vertical.

Andrew

Thanks Bo - I think I'm going to have to go back to it...I feel like I am straining my back otherwise..

Simon96Taco
11-26-2005, 10:53 PM
For Friday's workout (Nov.24th) I switched back to a slight decline for the military presses (as mentioned above). Felt much better....will stick to doing them this way from now on.

Lateral's are another tough one. I can do such little weight, and my gym's weight increments are 5lbs, so it's tough to go from one weight to another. Because of this, I'm going to go heavy for my first set (as heavy as I can), and then lighter on my second set. On the second set, I will vary the movement to make it more difficult as required i.e. Keeping my arms perfectly straight, starting at my sides instead of in front etc.

Weight is up to 141.5. I am excited to hit 145 - that will equal the most I've ever weighed in my life!

New sheet attached as usual.

Simon96Taco
12-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Nov. 28th Workout: 5:45am - 6:45am
Accidentally did one set of deadlifts before I did my 2 sets of chins (I normally do everything in the order presented on the spreadhseet). I think it took enough out of me to mess up my chins a bit (ie I only got 3.5 reps at full bodyweight on the first set, whereas last week I got 5 reps at full bodyweight)

Nov. 30th
Bad day. Work is still a mile a minute, and I could not make it into the gym this morning. Later that night, went to a concert, got wrecked, and Thursday proved to be one of the worst hangovers I've ever had in my life. Puked most of the day (in the bathroom, at a friends house at lunch, in the parking lot etc). It was BAD. I won't be touching the liquor for a little while I think. Wonder if this day will set me back at all workout wise..

Dec. 2nd 6:30pm - 7:30pm
In addition to the sheet, did the following on the ab machine:

9x95lbs
7x95
8x90
8x90

Simon96Taco
12-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Not sure if my arm workout was more intense than usual, but my triceps are quite sore today. Hopefully they will be well rested for tomorrow AM's chest/back workout.

Time to eat!

Simon96Taco
12-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Dec 5 139 lbs

Dec 7 141 lbs
In addition to the sheet, did abs:

100x10
100x7
95x6
90x8

Dec 9
Just about all of my lifts went down this week from last week :cry: Not really sure why either...damn shoulders.

Dec 12 144 lbs!
Glad the weight is back up, I was kind of sad to see it dip back down to 139. Also matched my personal best for bench weight/reps. Really disappointed with the wide grip chinups...I can't seem to make ANY progress on these. If anyone's reading, has anyone experienced this, and if so, how did you break through??

Simon96Taco
12-31-2005, 02:02 AM
New sheet attached.

Summary of events passed since my last post:

Have got the weight up to 147 lbs at it's peak. I am literally ACHING to see the scales tip 150 - When I walk up to the scale at the gym, I feel like a kid walking out of his bedroom to the Christmas tree on Christmas morning!

In some of my workouts I have added a few extra exercises on to the end, if my energy is still up. For example, on one particular arm day, I was feeling really energetic and pumped by the end of the workout, so I did a few tricep cable pushdowns just to blow off some steam. Felt really good.

I'm thinking of switching to a new routine pretty soon here....not because this one isn't working, but because I'd like to do some different exercises. I guess I could always just substitute the exercises into this same basic routine.

To any readers - any advice on switching it up at this point?

T.I.A.

edit - I have also stopped doing widegrip pullups, in favour of regular chinups. I just can't do the widegrips with any success at the moment.

Built
12-31-2005, 02:36 AM
Wide grips are ineffective in building width - all they do is wreck your rotator cuffs. Stick with shoulder-width or narrower.

Simon96Taco
12-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Wide grips are ineffective in building width - all they do is wreck your rotator cuffs. Stick with shoulder-width or narrower.

Thanks Built - will do.

Built
12-31-2005, 12:07 PM
NP - It sounds like you discovered this on your own.

Simon96Taco
12-31-2005, 12:13 PM
NP - It sounds like you discovered this on your own.

Yes and no....I was getting nowhere (as far as gains) with this exercise, while every other exercise I had been steadily increasing the weight - it's pretty obvious in my spreadsheet. So I asked in frustration on the forums here and got a couple "ditch the wide grips" responses. I think you were actually one of the posters who replied with some clarification :)

Built
12-31-2005, 12:17 PM
Lats are my nemesis. I have literally tried EVERYTHING to make mine grow. Biceps and hammies and abs grow on me in my sleep, but lats ... aaaaaaah! And I have a rotator cuff injury. Nothing like wrecking a part to make you learn that portion of your physiology.

Simon96Taco
12-31-2005, 12:40 PM
Lats are my nemesis. I have literally tried EVERYTHING to make mine grow. Biceps and hammies and abs grow on me in my sleep, but lats ... aaaaaaah! And I have a rotator cuff injury. Nothing like wrecking a part to make you learn that portion of your physiology.

Well, I don't think I have been working out long enough to know my body well enough to name one as my nemesis, but if I had to guess, I would guess my shoulders.

The weight is increasing alongside the weights for bench/rows etc., but looking in the mirror, I feel as though my shoulders should be wider. Time will tell I guess. Any shoulder-widening secrets?

Built
12-31-2005, 12:51 PM
Yes!

I had NO shoulders when I started - now they're probably the bodypart I'm most proud of.

Most pec and delt work hits the front head. While it's the biggest, it's not the one that creates the illusion of width - for that, we need the side delt. Bring up the rear delt and trap, and you'll create the appearance of upper body size.

Although a lot of the back work I do hits rear delts indirectly, I give them an extra hit on shoulder day.

My direct rear-delt work consists of face-down incline laterals and face pulls for the rear delt/trap area (face pulls: http://www.weighttrainersunited.com/facepull.html).
Since they're such a small muscle, I often break the "heavy compound exercises first" rule and do them first, as a warmup. I use higher rep ranges for this little muscle than I usually do - generally something like 3 sets of 12 for the face down incline laterals. Be prepared to feel extra wimpy when you do these - I hardly ever see guys doing these because you might need the 8 or 10 lb dumbbells for 'em. I promise your dick won't shrink, okay?

For the rest of my shoulder work, I'm a little limited because of a rotator cuff injury. Still, I've found that heavy Arnies followed by side laterals to be a very effective combination. You can alternate workouts on these by doing the Arnies supersetted with the side laterals, or doing all the arnies and then all the side laterals.

Keep in mind, that your front delts will take a heavy hit on chest day. I like to keep chest and shoulder workouts on different days because of this - that way, the delts get more frequent hits, and this has been effective in making mine grow. And trust me, shoulders were a VERY stubborn bodypart on my body.

For example

Start with rear delts:
3 sets of 8-12 face down incline dumbbell laterals
and/or
3 sets of 8-12 face pulls (these can be supersetted if you like)

Then follow with front and side delts:

EITHER
5x5 heavy Arnies
3x10 standing side laterals

OR

3x8 supersets of Arnies with side laterals

If you do the supersets, be prepared to go about 5 lbs lighter on the Arnies and about 3-5 lbs lighter on the side laterals. Maybe do every second shoulder workout this way. I find variety and frequency to be key in developing a stubborn part.

Lemme know what you think.

Simon96Taco
12-31-2005, 01:15 PM
Yes!

I had NO shoulders when I started - now they're probably the bodypart I'm most proud of.

Most pec and delt work hits the front head. While it's the biggest, it's not the one that creates the illusion of width - for that, we need the side delt. Bring up the rear delt and trap, and you'll create the appearance of upper body size.

Makes sense...

Although a lot of the back work I do hits rear delts indirectly, I give them an extra hit on shoulder day.

My direct rear-delt work consists of face-down incline laterals and face pulls for the rear delt/trap area (face pulls: http://www.weighttrainersunited.com/facepull.html).
Since they're such a small muscle, I often break the "heavy compound exercises first" rule and do them first, as a warmup. I use higher rep ranges for this little muscle than I usually do - generally something like 3 sets of 12 for the face down incline laterals. Be prepared to feel extra wimpy when you do these - I hardly ever see guys doing these because you might need the 8 or 10 lb dumbbells for 'em..

I am used to feeling wimpy at the gym :) . I'm going to find a way to work these 2 new exercises in.

I promise your dick won't shrink, okay?

I now have this in writing and have printed a copy and mailed it to my lawyer. If my dick shrinks, you are legally on the hook.

For the rest of my shoulder work, I'm a little limited because of a rotator cuff injury. Still, I've found that heavy Arnies followed by side laterals to be a very effective combination. You can alternate workouts on these by doing the Arnies supersetted with the side laterals, or doing all the arnies and then all the side laterals.

Keep in mind, that your front delts will take a heavy hit on chest day. I like to keep chest and shoulder workouts on different days because of this - that way, the delts get more frequent hits, and this has been effective in making mine grow. And trust me, shoulders were a VERY stubborn bodypart on my body.

Again, makes sense - In my current routine (pretty much WBB1) I have shoulder work and arms on Fridays, with my chest/back on Mondays, so I think I'm OK here.

For example

Start with rear delts:
3 sets of 8-12 face down incline dumbbell laterals
and/or
3 sets of 8-12 face pulls (these can be supersetted if you like)

Then follow with front and side delts:

EITHER
5x5 heavy Arnies
3x10 standing side laterals

OR

3x8 supersets of Arnies with side laterals

If you do the supersets, be prepared to go about 5 lbs lighter on the Arnies and about 3-5 lbs lighter on the side laterals. Maybe do every second shoulder workout this way. I find variety and frequency to be key in developing a stubborn part.

Lemme know what you think.

I think this all sounds really good. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am thinking of a new routine or at least mixing up my current routine. I'm definitely going to work the face pulls and face-down laterals into my new routine. They are both exercises that I have never done before up to this point in time.

Thanks again Built. If I ever look half as ripped as you I'll be really happy!

Built
12-31-2005, 01:23 PM
I now have this in writing and have printed a copy and mailed it to my lawyer. If my dick shrinks, you are legally on the hook.
Okay. Better take before and after pictures, just in case.

Again, makes sense - In my current routine (pretty much WBB1) I have shoulder work and arms on Fridays, with my chest/back on Mondays, so I think I'm OK here.
Good.

If I ever look half as ripped as you I'll be really happy!

If I ever look half as ripped as I do I'll be really happy too. <-bulking

Simon96Taco
12-31-2005, 01:26 PM
Okay. Better take before and after pictures, just in case.

All evidence will be documented.

Good.

If I ever look half as ripped as I do I'll be really happy too. <-bulking

Me tooooooo! I am bulking to about 160ish. I have never tried a cut before. Should be interesting when the time comes.

Built
12-31-2005, 01:29 PM
Dieting sucks. But it's very cool to see what you've built.

Oh, are you doing dextrose and whey and creatine during workouts right now? I'm finding it very helpful to sip on this during workouts.

Simon96Taco
12-31-2005, 02:01 PM
Dieting sucks. But it's very cool to see what you've built.

Oh, are you doing dextrose and whey and creatine during workouts right now? I'm finding it very helpful to sip on this during workouts.

Not during the workouts, no. I have a dextrose/whey shake immediately after my workout (30g protein, 4 tablespoons dextrose). I did have a 10g protein/2 tablespoon dex. shake during one of my workouts, but it's not a regular thing.

Have not been using creatine at all. I have in the past, and I have a jar of it, but just not using it right now.

Built
12-31-2005, 02:08 PM
Okay - start adding the creatine back in, since you already have it.

I suggest you continue with the dilute whey/dex shake during your workouts. Toss a teaspoon of creatine into this one, sip the dilute shake during your workout.

Take a teaspoon in the AM on off-days. Just put it in your mouth and knock it back with water.

Simon96Taco
12-31-2005, 02:22 PM
Okay - start adding the creatine back in, since you already have it.

I suggest you continue with the dilute whey/dex shake during your workouts. Toss a teaspoon of creatine into this one, sip the dilute shake during your workout.

Take a teaspoon in the AM on off-days. Just put it in your mouth and knock it back with water.

I kind of stopped the creatine a few months back with the worry that it might be hard on my liver in the long run (with all the extra protein, and the beer I like to drink on the weekends). Not sure if my fear is really wellfounded, but it might be time to try it again.

You don't have to take the creatine with juice? I remember that being a guideline back when I started using it.

Built
12-31-2005, 02:29 PM
No juice for creatine - juice has the wrong kind of sugar. Dextrose is ideal, but even just water is fine.

And creatine is not hard on your liver! It's not an oral steroid! Neither is protein, for that matter.

Now the beer ... tuttut

Simon96Taco
12-31-2005, 02:47 PM
No juice for creatine - juice has the wrong kind of sugar. Dextrose is ideal, but even just water is fine.

And creatine is not hard on your liver! It's not an oral steroid! Neither is protein, for that matter.

Now the beer ... tuttut

:angel:

Are oral steroids the only thing (aside from the beer) hard on the liver?

Guido
12-31-2005, 02:58 PM
How tall are you, Taco? Any taller than 5'8 and I'd say you could go higher than 160 before cutting. Believe me, I look at pics of myself when I was 160 and I still think I look too skinny. I'm at 200ish right now and pretty happy with where my proportions are (just need to lose a bit of fat).

Built
12-31-2005, 03:03 PM
As I understand it, any drug that is metabolized in the liver is hard on the liver.

I'e read that Tylenol and alcohol are both metabolized in similar ways, so you should never talk them together. Oral steroids have to get through the digestive tract, so the liver toxicity problem pops up in this situation.

Simon96Taco
12-31-2005, 03:13 PM
How tall are you, Taco? Any taller than 5'8 and I'd say you could go higher than 160 before cutting. Believe me, I look at pics of myself when I was 160 and I still think I look too skinny. I'm at 200ish right now and pretty happy with where my proportions are (just need to lose a bit of fat).

I'm right around 5'7" - 5'8".

I have been skinny almost all my life, and am really having trouble getting used to the roll that I now have around my belly, and the cellulite that I see on my ribcage and butt!! It's because of these, that I think I will have a really hard time putting 13 more pounds on, and not wanting to cut. I guess I will see though!!

I also have pretty small bone structure, so I'm pretty sure 200 lbs would be overkill on my particular frame.

Simon96Taco
12-31-2005, 03:14 PM
As I understand it, any drug that is metabolized in the liver is hard on the liver.

I'e read that Tylenol and alcohol are both metabolized in similar ways, so you should never talk them together. Oral steroids have to get through the digestive tract, so the liver toxicity problem pops up in this situation.

I see. I'm not sure where I got this, but I thought the liver was required for creatine to do its thing, or get where it's going (as you can see I don't really know what I'm talking about). I thought that this, combined with high levels of protein, combined with some booze now and then would be taxing on the liver. Guess not...

Simon96Taco
01-03-2006, 11:20 PM
OK - time for a change. Been at it on this WBB1 for about 9 weeks now, and the results are great. However, I'd like a change, and stumbled across a routine (on T-nation) that I liked the looks of. See attached sheet for details. What I really like about it is how it offers some variety in rep schemes, and the whole cycle is about 7 weeks long. So...I will give it a shot, see my results, and possibly go back to WBB1 again (for a change again).

Today's workout went by the book according to "Day 1" on the spreadsheet. Weight clocked in at 145 lbs. I'm actually surprised I didn't drop to 142 or so...I felt really drained, dehydrated and weak.

Built - if you happen to read this, I am going back on the creatine, per your suggestion. The only real problem I have is that I feel I won't be able to form an objective opinion of this routine, as I have to assume some of the strength and weight gain will be attributed to the creatine. No matter really...I'm just glad to be increasing and seeing results. I've actually had a few people comment on my size recently (Not that I'm big, obviously, but taht I'm bigger ...it's pretty nice. I am almost, almost looking forward to cutting in a few months!!!

Edit - the spreadsheet attached is incomplete, as I have not finalized what exercises I will use, and what their respective weights will be. Will have that info filled in before my next workout day.

Simon96Taco
01-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Here's what the sheet looks like now (filled in enough to get me through tomorrow's workout).

Simon96Taco
01-05-2006, 08:54 PM
149lbs!!!!!

Today's workout was an early one (6am - 6:30am). Workout went by the book according to "Day 3" in the spreasheet, however, I think I may have overestimated my max squat. I'm not sure that I can do 5 sets of 10 at 110 lbs (in 3 weeks).

Will see how it goes, I might have to adjust.

For now, I also need to come up with some exercises for the remaining days!

Simon96Taco
01-08-2006, 01:07 AM
Today was "Day 5" as per the spreadsheet posted 2 posts above this one. I have 115 and 105 for chins and dips, respectively. Those numbers represent a total weight, as in, my bodyweight, minus assistance pounds = total weight being moved.

So, assuming I weight about 145, 115 means 30 pounds of assistance on the assisted dip machine. With these numbers in mind, I figured I would put 30 and 40 pounds of assistance, respectively, on the machine for each exercise. This didn't work out.

I must have really overestimated my 1 rep max, as I'm sure I would have gone to failure by the 3rd (or even 2nd in the case of the chin ups) set at those weights. Instead of 5 sets of 10 reps (all at one weight), here is how things worked out:

Dips (assistance x reps)
30x10
40x10
40x10
40x10
40x10

Chins
40x10
50x10
60x10
70x10
70x10

I kept adjusting the assistance upwards as I felt necessary, to ensure I didn't end up going to failure before 10 reps. As you can see, I must have been way off in my estimate of my 1RM for these particular exercises. Incidentally, I used an online calculator to come up with my 1RM for these, and all the other exercises shown in the sheet.

Having said all this, and made all those adjustments, I'm not too sure what weights I will start at next time round. I think I will have to make an educated guess, and adjust again if I am approaching failure.

Edit - Weighed myself today, was 149.5 with clothes and shoes on. Didn't take too much stock in that though, as I was at a different gym on a different scale. I weigh myself on the same scale 95% of the time, so I'll wait till Monday when I'm back at my regular gym to take much notice of that.

Simon96Taco
01-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Holy @#$^ am I ever sore from yesterday's workout! It developed over the course of the day, and now feels like I just worked out for the first time in months!!! This soreness is all in my chest...I don't really feel any in my back. I am even sore in my abs!@! Sucks that I have to work abs tomorrow!!

Simon96Taco
01-09-2006, 12:06 AM
Have to head to bed. Tomorrow's workout is going to be in the evening, not morning, because I know I'm not going to get a good sleep.

I hate work beyond words. I hate Sunday nights.

....signing off....not looking forward to tomorrow.

Built
01-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Built - if you happen to read this, I am going back on the creatine, per your suggestion. The only real problem I have is that I feel I won't be able to form an objective opinion of this routine, as I have to assume some of the strength and weight gain will be attributed to the creatine.

Some of it will, most of it won't, and any results you would have achieved will likely be enhanced at least a little by the creatine.

It all comes down to what you want - if you're trying to compare two routines, and one of them gets creatine, then you have, of course, contaminated the experimental field.

If your desire is to get good results, do every routine on creatine, and compare them that way.

Simon96Taco
01-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Some of it will, most of it won't, and any results you would have achieved will likely be enhanced at least a little by the creatine.

It all comes down to what you want - if you're trying to compare two routines, and one of them gets creatine, then you have, of course, contaminated the experimental field.

If your desire is to get good results, do every routine on creatine, and compare them that way.

Will keep it up ; )

Simon96Taco
01-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Zero. That's how much sleep I got last night. I'm pretty miserable today, and not looking forward to this evenings workout.

Simon96Taco
01-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Monday January 10th 2006 (Day 7)
149 lbs

Followed the sheet (revised version attached) according to day 7. I need to find the printout I took to the gym so I can remember the weights I used!

Wednesday January 12th 2006 (Day 9)
148 lbs

I can't break 150 lbs arhehghghhh~~!!!!!!!! I have to get back to using FitDay. I'm obviously not eating enough, and I'm finding it difficult to eat more. Probably because I don't know how much more to eat.

Workout went as according to Day 9 of the spreadsheet

imageD
01-11-2006, 10:23 PM
great work man just keep at it no matter what anyone says just keeping eating like a beast

Simon96Taco
01-11-2006, 10:40 PM
great work man just keep at it no matter what anyone says just keeping eating like a beast

I just had an oatmeal/milk/olive oil/banana shake (~600 calories or so)...and now I'm heading to bed with nice and full stomach :evillaugh

Simon96Taco
01-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Today was supposed to be day 13, but I got hosed due to a shop visit running 5 hours overtime, in the wrong part of the city.

But never fear - I will make up for today by going tomorrow, and then right back on track on Sunday (day 15).

imageD
01-13-2006, 10:50 PM
I just had an oatmeal/milk/olive oil/banana shake (~600 calories or so)...and now I'm heading to bed with nice and full stomach :evillaugh

Try cytogainer with milk and peanut butter. That will give you rougly 1000 cals --- 1100-1200 if you add the PB generously like I do :bang:. I remember when I was small like you and I couldn't seem to gain weight, it was the shakes that put me over the top. And back then I was only making 1 per day. On some days now I have up to 4 shakes :clown:

Simon96Taco
01-15-2006, 01:26 AM
#@$#@$@#$@#$

I'm going to be playing catchup now. I didnt' realize my stupid gym closes at 5 on Saturdays - and I didn't want to go to the alternate gym because the equipment is different (which would make it difficult to determine the weights to use).

@#$@@$@#$!#@$#@

Simon96Taco
01-15-2006, 11:03 PM
150 lbs!!!! Think it might just be water, but it was cool to see the scale tip 150 for the first time ever. 160, here I come :clap:

Today's workout went as per "day 11" in the attached spreadsheet.

I will be doing "day 13" tomorrow after work.

imageD
01-15-2006, 11:37 PM
Get back to eating, pipsqueak

Simon96Taco
01-16-2006, 08:11 PM
Get back to eating, pipsqueak

Hahaha, no doubt!

Weight dropped back down to 148 today...bummer. Oh well...like you said imageD - keep eating!

Today's workout as per day 13 of the attached sheet:

Simon96Taco
01-18-2006, 10:32 PM
150 lbs

Today's workout went according to "Day 15" on the sheet attached. I didn't have my printout with me today, so I kinda screwed up and ended up doing my calf raises 5 pounds lighter than I should have (I was going by memory). Not a big deal I'm sure.

On a totally unrelated topic, I was thinking about what I will do at the end of this routine. I'm thinking, take 5 days off completely, and start in on WBB1 again (I have always had success with WBB1), but with different exercises. Specifically, I might substitute dumbbells for barbells wherever possible. Probably use the exact same movements, but with dumbbells instead (ie bench, shoulderpress, curls). I also want to add in a few of the exercises for shoulders that Built mentioned a few pages back.

edit: forgot to attach the updated sheet

imageD
01-18-2006, 10:35 PM
I personally never believed in following a set routine as in something like WBB1, 2, etc. I like to train more just by a method for example DC, westide, etc. For the most part I just go by feel and try and work the three major groups, back, legs, chest. And I use as much compound movement as possible.

And as always, get back to eating! :whip:

Simon96Taco
01-19-2006, 10:30 PM
I personally never believed in following a set routine as in something like WBB1, 2, etc. I like to train more just by a method for example DC, westide, etc. For the most part I just go by feel and try and work the three major groups, back, legs, chest. And I use as much compound movement as possible.

And as always, get back to eating! :whip:

I don't think I could do that. I need something structured so that I
a) stick to it
b) have something to easily measure and compare

I didn't work out today, but I played squash for about 1.5 hours. I weighed in at 151 lbs. I drank water and gatorade throughout, but by the end of the session I had lost 4lbs.

imageD
01-19-2006, 10:37 PM
I hope you are eating right now

Simon96Taco
01-20-2006, 11:27 AM
I hope you are eating right now

In fact, I am!

Simon96Taco
01-21-2006, 02:31 PM
January 21, 2006

??? lbs

Went to my old college's gym last night. It is brand new since I graduated from there, and pretty nice. I didn't bother weighing myself there for obvious reasons.

Workout went according to Day 17 on the attached sheet. I had to drop the weight from 120 to 115 on the benchpress - I am positive that the bar weighs more than the bar at my usual gym. I have actually talked to people at my usual gym who say there is as much as 7 pounds difference in the 3 olympic bars that they have.

So anyways, I dropped the weight to 115 after the second set, and kept it there for the remaining 8 sets. Was just about perfect, as I could just barely get the bar back on the rack for the last rep of my tenth set.

Also did 105 instead of 100 for cable rows (the machine didn't have 100). This seemed fine, I think 100 may have actually been too light.

Today's nutritional info:

Calories: 3004
Protein: 29% (206g)
Carbs: 41% (326g)
Fat: 30% (97g)

Simon96Taco
01-23-2006, 10:38 PM
January 23

152 lbs

Workout went as per "day 19" of the attached sheet.

I'm exhausted today. I really hate Mondays with a passion. I want to outlaw them.

Today's nutritional info:

Calories: 3009
Protein: 24% (179g)
Carbs: 39% (305g)
Fat: 34% (114g)

Simon96Taco
01-27-2006, 11:17 AM
I am starting to despise my fat reflection in the mirror. Not sure if I will be able to hold out to 160 lbs before I start my cut. Built - I'm going to be putting together a cutter diet/routine soon, and I will definitely ask for your critique!

Will also take before/after pics..and hopefully not be too ashamed to post them hahahah.

Will post today's and 2days ago's workout in the spreadsheet later tonight.

Simon96Taco
01-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Missed my workout, both yesterday, and today 8(. Yesterday, however, I did play squash for an hour. Not the same as my leg day workout, but at least I did something active.

Pulled out the old skinfold calipers this evening, and took some measurements according to this site:

http://www.rustyiron.net/formmale.htm

My measurements (in mm) were as follows

11 11 11 (Pec)
29 30 29 (Abdominal)
27 29 29 (Thigh)

The calculator spit out 19.99% bodyfat (with age 27) in response to these numbers. I am no expert, but judging by my pudgy self in the mirror, this sounds fairly reasonable.

While I remember it, I weighed in at 154 right before my squash game, but I think that was a lot of water ingested shortly before.

edit: took all measurements on the right side of my body, while sitting in my computer chair.

Simon96Taco
01-29-2006, 07:58 PM
152 lbs

Updated the sheet to show Day 21 and Day 23 (today was Day 23)

Day 21
Dips - 25lbs (assistance for all sets)
Chins - 40, 40, 45, 45, 50lbs assistance, respectively, through 5 sets.

Day 23
As per the attached sheet, "Day 23"

Simon96Taco
01-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Will be hitting the gym tomorrow (Day25 on the sheet). Need to work out my weights before I hit the sack.

edit: new sheet attached for reference

Simon96Taco
01-30-2006, 01:53 PM
153.5 lbs

Went and worked out at lunch today. Had my PWO shake, and will soon eat. Unfortunately, I have a pretty carb-heavy and not so protein-heavy lunch today.

Workout went as per "Day 25" on the sheet.

Simon96Taco
02-01-2006, 10:59 PM
154 lbs

Workout today went as per the spreadsheet (attached 2 posts ago). Drank a dilute mix of protein/dextrose during the workout (as per Built's reccomendation).

After the workout, played squash for one hour. Had my PWO shake after that.

Should I have had my PWO shake right after my workout? (i.e. right before an hour of squash?)

Simon96Taco
02-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Off to the gym I go...

Simon96Taco
02-03-2006, 06:26 PM
152 lbs

Worked out as per "Day 29" on the attached sheet. I changed the bench weights to progress 95-100-105, rather than the way it was shown in the last revision of the spreadsheet. It seemed to make more sense this way.

Weight is down a bit, I think due to dehydration. Had a headache much of today, and I think it's cause of the beer last night. I only had 1 beer, but while on creatine, it seems that is more than enough to dry me out and cause a hangover.

Simon96Taco
02-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Should have been "Day 31" today, but I couldn't get to the gym. Well...more like I was way too lazy to get to the gym. Will be back at it tomorrow morning.

I think the biggest thing I dislike about this current routine is that it requires me to workout on the weekends. Was much easier to stay consistent when I could lift only Mon-Fri or Mon-Thurs if I wanted to.

clvmike19
02-06-2006, 05:41 AM
From 138 you've made some great progress. Another example that if you stick to it, anything can be done. Good work man.

Clifford Gillmore
02-06-2006, 05:53 AM
Amazingly fast gains! I'd love to pack on what you have in that time.

Simon96Taco
02-06-2006, 08:49 PM
ClvMike:
Risk10K:

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the encouragement! I am really starting to look forward to cutting, so I can see how much of what I've gained is actually usable muscle!

I'm actually kind of worried that when I cut, I will just go back in time and look and be composed exactly as I was before :cry: I really hope that isn't the case.

clvmike19
02-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Cutting....bah. Not in my vocabulary, but good luck with it. :D

Simon96Taco
02-06-2006, 09:02 PM
Hahah, who knows, I may feel the same way as you soon - I have never actually tried to cut before. However, I'm getting a little sick of the rolls on my stomach and waist...not something I am used to at all.

I will probably bulk again at the end of the summer.

Simon96Taco
02-06-2006, 09:17 PM
155 lbs

Workout as per "Day 31" on the sheet attached. Today's workout was at lunch. My sleeping patterns have been terrible lately...I am exhausted.

Simon96Taco
02-07-2006, 11:04 PM
155 lbs

Today went as per "day 33" in the above attached sheet.

5 lbs of assistance for dips is ridiculous. The downward momentum of my body is enough to send the kneepad sliding onwards when my body has come to a stop. Unless I wait for it to come back, with my arms at parallel, I just end up doing the upward portion of the dip unassisted. Seems almost pointless...

Simon96Taco
02-08-2006, 07:42 PM
155 lbs

Today was an off day workout wise, but I went to the gym to play some squash.

Playing in a squash tournament on March 10th, and the tournament organizers put together twice-weekly practice sessions. Glad I went, it was very humbling...the other players are much better than me for the most part.

Anyways, ended up playing about 1.5 hours of squash, where I was actually on a court for probably a little more than half that time. Need to do some research as to the catabolic effects of a sport like squash, and the best ways to minimize them.

Simon96Taco
02-11-2006, 01:52 AM
155 lbs

"Day 35" on attached sheet (February 11, 2006)

Simon96Taco
02-11-2006, 01:54 AM
156 lbs

Wound up at the gym today, and figured I might as well work out while I'm there. I will take off tomorrow and Sunday, and go back at it on Monday for "Day 39"

Today was "Day 37" on the above attached sheet.

Simon96Taco
02-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Did a bodyfat test again at: http://www.rustyiron.net/formmale.htm at bodyweight of 156 lbs.

My measurements (in mm) were as follows:

12 12 14 (Pec)
30 32 30 (Abdominal) - realized I had been measuring this the wrong way last time!! I measured horizontal instead of vertical - did vertical this time.
22 22 24 (Thigh)

The calculator spit out 19.27% bodyfat (with age 27) in response to these numbers. It seems strange that the numbers on my pec and thigh changed so much - it is probably due to my lack of experience using the calipers. Also, I was surprised that vertical vs. horizontal on my abdomen didn't make much difference.

Also took those numbers and plugged in the averages (12.7 30.7 22.7) on this site http://www.linear-software.com/online.html . At 156 lbs it spit out a bf% of 19.29.

Is it actually possible that I have dropped some bf% while gaining 4 pounds in the last 2 weeks??

Simon96Taco
02-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Day 39 - 155 lbs
As per the sheet.

Day 41 - 156 lbs
As per the sheet, though my rest periods were definitely less than 60 seconds between sets (I had a meeting at 1pm, and I went to the gym over my lunch break)

Day 43 - 154 lbs
As per the sheet.
A little dehdrated I think (thanks to 2 pints at lunch). Today's (Thursday Feb.16) day 43 was actually consecutive after Day 41...this will let me take both Friday and Saturday off from the gym. Since this is a 4 day weekend, it works out that I will only have to head to the gym one day this weekend.

Simon96Taco
02-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Did a bodyfat test again at: http://www.rustyiron.net/formmale.htm at bodyweight of 156 lbs.

My measurements (in mm) were as follows:

12 10 12 (Pec)
30 28 28 (Abdominal) - vertical measurement.
24 26 24 (Thigh)

The calculator spit out 18.90% bodyfat (with age 27) in response to these numbers.

Also took those numbers and plugged in the averages (11.33 28.67 24.67) on this site http://www.linear-software.com/online.html . At 154 lbs it spit out a bf% of 18.90%.

These 2 sites must be using the exact same formulas to determine bf%, although the first one doesn't ask me to input my weight. Maybe the second one, despite asking for my weight, does not factor it into the calculation?

Simon96Taco
02-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Those chinups from Thursday have done me in. My upper back is on FIRE!!:whiner:

Simon96Taco
03-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Took skinfolds today:

11 12 12 (Pec)
30 30 30 (Abdominal) - vertical measurement.
24 22 23 (Thigh)

These are at 154 lbs. (I haven't worked out, or had creatine in a week - I took a break before my cut).

Just for comparison, I also took a horizontal abdominal skinfold (as this seems to be the most consistent measurable spot). I will use this to help gauge overall bf% decrease. Skinfolds were 32 32 34.

BF% according to above = 18.91%

Simon96Taco
03-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Well, following up the above post, I have officially switched from bulk to cut. I am tired of my gut and cellulite.

I am using Built's cutting routine and diet plan (carb cycling, Baby Got Back routine). I will be shooting for the same number of sets as outlined in Built's plan, but my target number of reps will be 5 for each exercise, rather than 8 and up (Built - chime in if you feel I should be doing otherwise!). I am doing this because the way I understand, low rep ranges are a good bay to preserve LBM on a cut.

Here is what my first day looked like food wise:

M1 0530 hrs
1/2 cup oats, 2/3 cup milk

workout 0600 hrs

Protein Shake 0700 hrs

M2 0830 hrs
Fried Egg sandwich (brown bread, buttered)

M3 1130 hrs
2 Romaine lettuce leaves
3 oz cooked chicken breast
1 tsp olive oil
2 tsp balsamic vinegar

M4 1530 hrs
6 egg whites
1 egg yolk
1 tsp Olivina margarine

Snack 1700 hrs
1/4cup cashews

M5 2000 hrs
7 oz Eye of Round steak
3 spears broccoli
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 cup milk
1.5 oz old cheddar cheese

Total Calories: 1969
Protein: 173g
Fat: 98g
Carb: 102g

My workout (0600 to 0700) looked like this:

Benchpress
115x5, 125x5, 135x4, 125x6, 125x5

Incline Dumbell Press (superset with ab machine)
45x6, 45x5, 45x5
Ab Machine
115x6, 115x5, 110x7

Rack Pulls
185x5, 215x5, 215x5, 185x5, 185x5

Rows
115x6, 115x6, 115x5

Didn't have time today to do calves, unfortunately. I am used to my last routine where I was rarely in the gym for more than 35 minutes at a time. Will have to make adjustments.

Simon96Taco
03-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Today's food:

M1 0830
2/3 cup plain yogourt
1/3 cup blueberries

M2 1015
Fried egg sanwich, buttered with cheese (brown bread)

1200 - 1300 workout

no post workout shake (forgot it at home)

M3 1315
4 oz chicken breast
1 tbsp natty PB
hotsauce
2/3 cup white rice

M4 1545
3 oz chicken breast
2 large romaine lettuce leaves
1/2 avocado
1 tsp olive oil
balsamic vinegar

M5 snacks
3 packs of beef jerky
3 beers (hockey game) 8(

Macros:
Total Calories: 1946
Protein: 126g
Fat: 76g
Carbs: 119g

EDIT: IN FITDAY JOURNAL, MARCH 7TH AND MARCH 8TH FOOD ARE REVERSED

Today's workout (1200 - 1300) 154 lbs

Squats
115x5, 115x5, 120x5, 125x5, 125x5

Leg Press
280x5, 300x5, 305x5
(superset with)
Leg Curls
110x5, 105x5, 105x5

Standing curls
50x6, 55x5, 55x5, 55x4.5, 50x5

Hammer curls
20x5, 20x5, 15x6

Simon96Taco
03-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Today will be an off day from the gym. My legs are absolutely killing me from yesterday's workout!!

I am playing in a squash tournament on Friday night, so Friday will also be an off day for me (don't want to work legs before playing squash!). I will make up that day on Saturday.

Simon96Taco
03-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Today's meals:

M1 0830
2/3 cup plain yogourt
1/3 cup blueberries

M2 1000
3 oz chicken breast
1 Tbsp natty PB
hotsauce

M3 1200
1 can tuna (Oceans light white)
1 tsp olive oil
2 oz cucumber
steak spice

M4 1430
55 pistachios

M5 1545
1 can tuna (Oceans light white)
1 tsp olive oil
2 oz cucumber
lemon juice
steak spice

M6 1930
4 large eggs
1 Tbsp olive oil
onion
2 cloves garlic
Mrs. Dash

2230 - 2 cups milk

Total Calories: 1565
Protein: 148
Fat: 79
Carbs: 63

I really didn't eat enough today. I was hungry at work, and didn't have as much food available as I should have. But when I got home and had my 4 eggs, it totally satisfied me, and I'm still not hungry 8(

I need to do a better job of preparing my food in advance...it is quickly becoming evident how much more difficult cutting is than bulking.

Simon96Taco
03-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Squash tournament tomorrow night, so I took it easy on the back and shoulders today (did less exercises than prescribed by Built's routine), and completely avoided calves.

Will post details once I know how my food will end up for the day.

Built
03-09-2006, 08:03 PM
Hey - cool! Another taker!

Okay - I like the 5x5s for this; I basically do the same thing when I cut on BGB - I drop the reps down as I progress to keep weight on the bar.

The carb cycles - did I set these up for you? You may need slightly higher carbs/cals on your lifting days. And 79g fat on a low cal day looks low to me.

What's your LBM and maint cals again? I'll run some figures past you and you can see how they look.

Simon96Taco
03-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Good to see you here Built :whazzup:

As of the start of this week, I was approximately 155lbs, and about 19-20%bf. So roughly 124lbs LBM.

No, you didn't set up the carb cycles for me...in fact, I don't even really know what that means. I just tried to keep my starch carbs surrounding my workouts, and keep my calories down to about 2000 per day.

As I read the article posted on the main page, I noticed most of the rep ranges were in the 8-12 range - but, I read your other posts mentioning low reps heavy weight for LBM retention.

Am I looking OK so far?

Built
03-09-2006, 10:19 PM
You are.

If you want to try an alternative plan for the carb cycling, you could try this:

Let's assume 2000 cals a day average calories for your cut. We can drop it if you don't progress, but let's start there, okay?

4 days a week training, 124 lbs LBM

LBM = 124 lbs.

Average daily macros:
158g of protein,
94g of fat, and
131g of carbohydrate,
2,000 calories in total.

(4) Lifting/HIIT days:
174g of protein,
81g of fat, and
177g of carbohydrate,
2,129 calories in total.

(3) Rest/SS Cardio days:
136g of protein,
112g of fat, and
70g of carbohydrate,
1,829 calories in total.

Your thoughts?

Simon96Taco
03-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Today's Meals:

M1 0800
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup blueberries

M2 1100
Fried egg and cheese sandwich (brown bread)

1200-1300
workout

protein shake

M3 1500
3.5 oz chicken breast
1 tbsp natty PB
2/3 cup rice

M4 1830
3 oz chicken breast
romaine lettuce
1/2 avocado
1 tsp olive oil
balsamic vinegar

M5 2100
Lamb souvlaki skewers (2)

2 cups milk (1%)

Total Calories: 2032
Protein: 163
Fat: 87
Carbs: 146

Today's workout (152 lbs):

My notes are at work - when I get them I will edit this post and populate this section with the weights.

Basically I did

5x5 chins
5x5 arnies
3x5 weighted decline crunches

10 minutes of walking on a 10 degree incline, 3.1 mph. Had my heart rate around 160 steady.

Simon96Taco
03-09-2006, 10:45 PM
You are.

If you want to try an alternative plan for the carb cycling, you could try this:

Let's assume 2000 cals a day average calories for your cut. We can drop it if you don't progress, but let's start there, okay?

4 days a week training, 124 lbs LBM

LBM = 124 lbs.

Average daily macros:
158g of protein,
94g of fat, and
131g of carbohydrate,
2,000 calories in total.

(4) Lifting/HIIT days:
174g of protein,
81g of fat, and
177g of carbohydrate,
2,129 calories in total.

(3) Rest/SS Cardio days:
136g of protein,
112g of fat, and
70g of carbohydrate,
1,829 calories in total.

Your thoughts?

Looks good to me...I have already dropped to 152 pounds since Monday :eek: I'm not sure if this is because of lost water (for slacking off on the creatine for a week), or if it's because of the lower carb diet so far.

So what you're saying above, is that rather than shooting for 2000 day, shoot for a little higher on lifting days, and a little lower on rest days?

Also, does squash count as HIIT? I will be playing for a few hours in a tournament tomorrow night. I am considering doing my workout directly after, though I will probably be bagged.

As a sidenote, I am also taking daily a multivitamin, C-supplement, and calcium supplement.

Built
03-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Squash - treat it as recreational cardio, and feed yourself a little extra to allow for it.

And yes, go up and down with the calories according to training/non-training days. Lemme know how it feels, and this is JUST a guideline - you can change it to suit you as required.

Simon96Taco
03-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Well, I have no idea what my calories looked like yestrday. I was snacking during the squash tourney, and I had a small supper afterwards, so I will try and guess and get a rough idea into FitDay.

I didn't work out after squash as I thought I might. I was absolutely bagged.

Simon96Taco
03-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Yesterday's workout:

Romanian Deadlifts:
95x5, 115x5, 115x5, 125x5, 125x5

Leg Press - High Foot Placement
200x5, 238x5

Leg Extensions
100x5, 113x5, 125x5

Skullcrushers
55x5, 55x5, 55x5, 55x5, 55x5

Cable Pressdown
90x5, 100x5, 100x5

Simon96Taco
03-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Yesterday's workout:

Benchpress:
135x3, 125x5, 125x5, 125x5, 125x4
(really sore triceps...different bar...)

Incline Skulls:
45x6, 45x5, 45x4

Ab Machine:
120x5, 120x5, 120x5
superset
Seated Calf Raises:
115x5, 115x5, 115x5

Rack Pulls:
205x5, 205x5, 205x5, 205x5, 185x5

Cable Rows:
120x5, 120x5, 120x4.5

Total Calories: 1558

Macros
Protein: 148
Fat: 57
Carbs: 101

Wow...I think I am not taking in enough calories early in the day. Then when nighttime rolls around, I'm not hungry enough to fit what I need in.

Simon96Taco
03-14-2006, 11:42 PM
Today's Workout:

Squats:
125x5, 125x5, 125x5, 120x5, 120x5

Leg Press:
300x5, 300x5, 300x5
superset
Let Curls:
110x5, 110x5, 110x5

Standing Curls:
55x5, 55x5, 55x5, 55x5, 50x5

Hammer Curls:
20x5, 20x4, 15x7

Total Calories: 2103

Macros:

Protein: 174
Fat: 89
Carbs: 148

Built
03-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Watch that the cals don't drop too low, okay? No need to drop fast and lose LBM.

How you feeling?

Simon96Taco
03-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Watch that the cals don't drop too low, okay? No need to drop fast and lose LBM.

How you feeling?

Thanks Built, I am realizing I will have to plan my meals more carefully than I have been so far. Not so I don't get too many calories, but so that I get enough!

Last night I had to down 4 cups of milk before bed just to get my numbers up to where they should be!

Simon96Taco
03-15-2006, 10:33 AM
Today is an off day, so no workout (thankfully...I am bloody sore).

I have put together a spreadhsheet based on this new BGB routine (much like the other spreadsheets). That way I can just post the updated sheet, rather than filling out an entire post of weightxreps etc.

Hosting a party at my house Saturday night...so it is going to default into a cheat day. I'm sure I can avoid cheating with the food, but the alcohol will make up for it. So far I'm fairly happy with my diet though...I haven't strayed too far, and I will only get better from here.

Built
03-16-2006, 02:55 PM
On cheat days, I just cheat. Eat whatever you want, and have a plan to get back on track: for one, plan a heavy workout for the next day - you'll have a GREAT workout will all that glycogen!

Simon96Taco
03-16-2006, 07:57 PM
Yesterday, March 15th (no workout)

Calories: 1935

Protein: 187
Fat: 106
Carbs: 50

Simon96Taco
03-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Got the spreadsheet set up, so I have attached it here, with today's workout included.

Today's Food:

Calories: 2066

Protein: 180
Fat: 82
Carbs: 147

edit: attaching the spreadsheet

Simon96Taco
03-16-2006, 11:08 PM
On cheat days, I just cheat. Eat whatever you want, and have a plan to get back on track: for one, plan a heavy workout for the next day - you'll have a GREAT workout will all that glycogen!

Sounds good Built. I felt kinda guilty that I have had 2 cheat days already, and I am only 2 weeks into the diet.

Built
03-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Is it working?

My feeling is that if you CAN get away with it, you should.

Simon96Taco
03-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Is it working?

My feeling is that if you CAN get away with it, you should.

To be honest, I'm not sure yet. I can't trust my weight is a guide as I think it's too early to tell, plus I went off/on the creatine before the cut. I will take skinfolds later today and see if that tells me anything.

Overall, I think it's ok. So far, when I have cheated, it hasn't been by a whole lot.

Simon96Taco
03-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Took skinfolds today:

12 12 12 (Pec)
30 30 30 (Abdominal) - vertical measurement.
24 24 24 (Thigh)

(Horizontal abdominal skinfolds were 32 30 31)

These are at 151.5 lbs.

BF% according to above = 19.27%

Either I'm getting fatter, instead of skinnier, or I suck with these calipers :mad: . Strangely, the horizontal abdominal measurement I took actually went down. So has my weight. But otherwise, I am a smaller, fatter man than I was 2 weeks ago :eek:

Simon96Taco
03-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Spreadsheet updated with today's workout attached. Went to the MRC gym. Only weighed 149 lbs with my clothes and shoes on!!! Not sure what's up with that, I'll wait till I weigh myself at the regular place before I bother recording the weight....

Cable pressdowns were ridiculously hard today. I'm guessing because it was a different machine than I used last week, although it seems strange that there can be that much difference!

Simon96Taco
03-21-2006, 11:49 PM
Posting spreadsheet updated with yesterday and today's workouts filled in. Overall I feel good. Lifts aren't going down by a noticeable amount on the cut (not that can't be explained by different equipment etc), and have actually gone up in some areas. Really hard to tell my true progress as of yet, but the weight has gone down.

Weighed in at 150lbs today.

Today's calories: 2075

Protein: 188g
Fat: 73g
Carbs: 157g

Simon96Taco
03-22-2006, 09:12 PM
Today was an off-day, so no workout.

Total Calories: 1930

Protein: 143
Fat: 115
Carbs: 81

Simon96Taco
03-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Updated spreadsheet attached. I need to find an alternate back exercise for today...I tried the dumbell pullovers but they just hurt my shoulders and seemed to work mainly my abs.

Total Calories: 2050

Protein: 139g
Fat: 105g
Carbs: 120g

A little out of wack today...too low carbs and too low fat. Even though I treated myself to a beer after dinner.

Built
03-23-2006, 11:53 PM
They DO hit abs.

What are your options - you got any hammer strength machines at your gym?

Simon96Taco
03-23-2006, 11:55 PM
They DO hit abs.

What are your options - you got any hammer strength machines at your gym?

No hammer strength machines (I was wondering what "hammer high rows" were, but I think I clued in now) at my usual gym. Quite possibly at one of the other two, but I'm not sure.

I did wide-grip pulldowns today.

Built
03-24-2006, 12:00 AM
Please don't use a wide grip. Shoulder grip or narrower, under or overhand. Close parallel grip is really good, too.
You doing chins?

Simon96Taco
03-24-2006, 05:36 PM
Please don't use a wide grip. Shoulder grip or narrower, under or overhand. Close parallel grip is really good, too.
You doing chins?

Yep. 5x5 as my main exercise on vertical plane back day.

Check out my spreadsheet (attached above a couple posts), based on your split. It shows what/how many sets/reps I am doing :strong:

I update it after (almost) every workout, and attach it. It's a lot simpler than typing out my whole workout. I also have the spreadsheet on my PocketPC, which I take to the gym and fill in as I go. It's really handy.

Built
03-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Ah. Good job.

You are so damned organized! You know what happens when you get organized, don't you? You get results.

;)

Simon96Taco
03-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Ah. Good job.

You are so damned organized! You know what happens when you get organized, don't you? You get results.

;)

I'm actually really unorganized. I am a bit of a tech-geek though.

Yesterday's workout updated in the attached spreasdsheet.

Yesterday's Total Calories: 2253

Protein: 117g
Fat: 105g
Carbs: 210

I was unprepared and had no food yesterday. I ended up eating at McDonalds across the street from the gym right after working out. What a way to ruin your day. I struggled the rest of the day to try and keep my calories below my limit, and went hungry as a result. I need to make sure I have food prepared always, so I don't have to resort to that again.

I am down to 148 pounds, from a peak of about 156 lbs. I think I have lost about 5-6 pounds since the start of this cut (about 18 days). Seems like a bit much :(

Built
03-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Your carbs are lower than usual. Lots of this weight was water that was bound up with glycogen stores that have diminished.

Weight loss should settle down now. :)

Davidelmo
03-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Looking good to read.. i'm impressed with the weight gain.

You should hopefully have a picture when you were at your skinniest and a pic at your biggest. It helps to keep you motivated looking at what a skinny weed or fat b*stard you were!

Nice work.. and im sure the organisation really helps.

One thing I would say though is that you probably shouldn't weigh yourself so much.. it's really inaccurate because your weight varies so much during the day. It puts me off mentally if the scales say I've lost 3 lbs, even if i know it's only cos my stomach is empty.

Simon96Taco
03-26-2006, 02:23 AM
Looking good to read.. i'm impressed with the weight gain.

You should hopefully have a picture when you were at your skinniest and a pic at your biggest. It helps to keep you motivated looking at what a skinny weed or fat b*stard you were!

Nice work.. and im sure the organisation really helps.

One thing I would say though is that you probably shouldn't weigh yourself so much.. it's really inaccurate because your weight varies so much during the day. It puts me off mentally if the scales say I've lost 3 lbs, even if i know it's only cos my stomach is empty.

Wow Davidelmo, those are huge gains in your sig, and still at only 15%! I am impressed...I wish I had been that lean on my bulk. I ended up at 20% and couldn't stand it anymore, even though I wanted to keep tipping the scales.

I just resized some pictures of me at 155 lbs...my big fat gut revolts me. I will do some digging and hopefully find some pics from before I started bulking. Then if I get the courage, I will post them (a big fat gut, and my tightest whitest boxers do not an internet sharing photo make :redface: ).

Davidelmo
03-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Wow Davidelmo, those are huge gains in your sig, and still at only 15%! I am impressed...I wish I had been that lean on my bulk. I ended up at 20% and couldn't stand it anymore, even though I wanted to keep tipping the scales.

I just resized some pictures of me at 155 lbs...my big fat gut revolts me. I will do some digging and hopefully find some pics from before I started bulking. Then if I get the courage, I will post them (a big fat gut, and my tightest whitest boxers do not an internet sharing photo make :redface: ).

lol, well 20% isn't *that* fat really. It's about average I think. We're just going by bodybuilding standards, hehe.

I think when you're used to being so skinny for your whole life, adding even a small bit of fat freaks you out. I've added a bit of fat but I dont mind.. I've learnt to live with it.

You're probably not even that fat. My body fat isn't *that* high but my stomach does store loads of fat. It also sticks out because my gut is usually bloated and full of food. What keeps me going is the fact that the more I gain, the more muscle I'll have in the end when I cut.

My only worry about you is that you might be unsatisfied if you decide to cut too soon. I know you shared this worry too that you might end up pretty much back where you started. It's up to you though, and I'm sure we both know that this is an on-going process.. bulk then cut, bulk then cut etc.

Good luck with your cut anyhow!

Simon96Taco
03-26-2006, 11:55 AM
My only worry about you is that you might be unsatisfied if you decide to cut too soon. I know you shared this worry too that you might end up pretty much back where you started. It's up to you though, and I'm sure we both know that this is an on-going process.. bulk then cut, bulk then cut etc.

Good luck with your cut anyhow!

I know what you mean, though I am not too worried about ending up back where I started (weight wise). As long as I am leaner and stronger at the same weight, I will have progressed. Then it will be back to bulking :burger:

Simon96Taco
05-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Well...I slacked off pretty bad workout-wise for a bout a 2 week period (within the 5 week interval since my last post), and my diet hasn't been great either. I haven't been overeating, but I have not been timing my carbs, or tracking calories perfectly.

I have been extremely busy and my personal life has become unorganized.

Regardless, my weight has dropped down to ~143-144lbs as of today. My gut is definitely smaller, I can tell by my pants. I have definitely lost a bit of strength now, though - probably a result of my poor or missing workouts for about a 2 week period. I have been totally unmotivated lately, and dragging myself to they gym has been a real chore.

I am tired, but hopefully this wknd I will post some pics from the start, and at present. Would also like to take some skinfolds.

Simon96Taco
01-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Here I am - 8 months from my last workout. Lost a bunch of hard-earned weight.

I'm now one of those "New Years Resolution" gym goers as of tomorrow...I hate that. Will probably start a new journal in the next day or two. Hopefully it's the last re-start.

:(

Simon96Taco
02-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Measurements attached

Simon96Taco
02-24-2008, 11:07 PM
re: Above - Stupid things didn't attach. Anyways, I'll scale them down once I install photoshop and upload them.

Update: I've been dormant for some time, and decided to make my comeback on a cutter. Not 'cause I'm huge, but because I used to be lean, and I can't stand this gut and cellulite on me.

I've been on UD2.0, with limited success. I'm having trouble stickign to the end of the diet (and not so much the diet, but the workouts). I've missed the Saturday power workouts both weeks...I've also added a few carbs in the form of alcohol on the weekends. In any case, I don't find the low car/depletion days that difficult, and I'm hoping to improve every week, until I have the diet dialed in. I'll go for 8 weeks and then take a break.

Currently sitting around 18.3% BF.

Simon96Taco
03-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Down to about 17.9% BF, from 18.9% 3 weeks ago. Not very drastic results, but to be honest I haven't stuck very well to the diet. Here are the biggest blunders over the last 3 weeks of UD2.0:

I missed the Saturday workout the first 2 weeks.
Generally poor ratios of prot/carb/fat (I get the calories nice and low on the depletion days, but the ratios are way off)
Finally did the power workout (a day late - Sunday, instead of Saturday)
Fair bit of boozing on the weekends - I try and keep the beer to the carbup day.
Hard to get as many carbs as req'd on carb up day. I basically slept on and off ALL day this past Friday (I'm presuming it's the effect of a huge carb binge)

I hope to keep improving week after week. Will take a break after 8 weeks max.

edit: I deleted the screencap of my skinfolds. For reference, it came out to 17.9%.