PDA

View Full Version : Peanuts and Aflatoxin

threatmix
10-31-2005, 09:11 PM
I eat a lot of natty peanut butter in my diet, and I recently heard about the presence of the carcinogenic fungus aflatoxin in peanuts, that could cause mental ******ation and other ill effects. I did a search on google, but couldn't come to a conclusion on whether it's a legitimate danger or not. Does anybody know anything about this?

[edit] Uh, okay, I guess they edit out the "'r' word," even though it was used in a serious context, but you can probably figure it out.

RBC13
11-06-2005, 09:05 AM
I dont believe any more bs about food. Theres something for eggs, milk, nuts, meat, corn, other vegetables and everything.

Invain
11-06-2005, 10:26 AM
"carcinogenic fungus aflatoxin"

There was a thread asking about it a while ago, but nothings really been proven, and I think the fungus is only present in certain senerios. I doubt you have anything to worry about, there's a lot of people here that eat a ton of natty pb.

I'm with RBC13 though, I pretty much ignore what people say about certain foods anymore. It's a joke... I wonder if there's anything even out there anymore that hasn't been found harmful in some way by some stupid study. Carcinogens are a joke, I could probably could a hundred things in my house that's a known carcinogen. Seems like everything is anymore....

Shao-LiN
11-06-2005, 04:55 PM
I've been eating peanut butter since I was a kid...I'll let you know when I become ******ed.

TTT
11-06-2005, 05:30 PM
...I could probably could a hundred things in my house that's a known carcinogen. Seems like everything is anymore....

And you're right. But you'd be hard pressed to find something as potent as aflatoxin. Nanograms of it are enough to hugely increase your risk of cancer, particularly liver cancer.
If you ever see anything suspicious in your peanut butter, particularly red-coloured mold (or mold of any colour), DON'T EAT IT.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-06-2005, 05:47 PM
If you ever see anything suspicious in your peanut butter, particularly red-coloured mold (or mold of any colour), DON'T EAT IT.That's pretty much a given.

tigo
11-06-2005, 09:15 PM
anything taken in excess is bad for you
too much sunlight.. too much alcohol.. too much water.. too much pb probably is too..

key words: too much

Shao-LiN
11-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Quantify too much.

lifter4life
11-08-2005, 02:48 PM
i eet peenut buter al teh tim and m nut redarded