PDA

View Full Version : Best way to cut......

[[[----]]]
11-01-2005, 08:44 AM
Low carb? low fat? Is it just trial and error type type thing?
Just wanted a little info from you guys.......and girls. thanks

briancurran01
11-01-2005, 08:46 AM
i am doing a psmf diet which is very low carb minimum fat high protein.

fat melts off you though.

you can find out more about this diet here www.bodyrecomposition.com

HILL
11-01-2005, 09:06 AM
lower your cals. At the end of the day it doesnt matter wether you are low fat or low carbs or protein cabs and fat all the same it comes down to cals for loosing weight. Stick to your 0.5g of fat per lbm as a minimum then adjust your carbs as suited. Obviously protein is the 1-1.5g per pound of body weight. Wether you prefer lower carbs or lower fat it is personal preference. I dont like low carbs

[[[----]]]
11-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks brian for that link! thats a really informative site. I think i'm going to cut my carbs a lot when I cut.

[[[----]]]
11-01-2005, 10:30 AM
And up the EFAs.

bubba booey
11-01-2005, 10:40 AM
lower your cals. At the end of the day it doesnt matter wether you are low fat or low carbs or protein cabs and fat all the same it comes down to cals for loosing weight. Stick to your 0.5g of fat per lbm as a minimum then adjust your carbs as suited. Obviously protein is the 1-1.5g per pound of body weight. Wether you prefer lower carbs or lower fat it is personal preference. I dont like low carbs

HILL, while I agree that lower cals will help burn fat, I disagree w/ your lower carb assessment. Some are more/less glucose tolerant than others - therefore, a lower carb diet will be more effective for some than others.

Johnberardi, who was recently selected to be the nutrition coach for the Canadian Olympic team, has a great site:
www.johnberardi.com

In addition, he puts his $$$ where his mouth is, he is about 5'10", 205 lbs and 5% bf. Certainly not jacked, but in great shape.

HILL
11-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Sorry yes i agree i should have changed the way i stated that when i said lower carb works for some people and not others i should have also stated it can be health related

userName-pLump
11-01-2005, 12:46 PM
well today marks the first complete week of my cut, and I lost 10lbs and I see where it came from :)

I'm just eating a hell of a lot less, average day I get about 500 calories and all the water I want.

Anthony
11-01-2005, 12:53 PM
well today marks the first complete week of my cut, and I lost 10lbs and I see where it came from :)

I'm just eating a hell of a lot less, average day I get about 500 calories and all the water I want.

500 calories? That sounds like a very bad/dumb idea. Even if that was pure protein, you'd be under the 1g/lb guideline. My guess is that you dropped a lot of water, maybe some muscle and maybe some fat. If you continue this, you'll be dropping a lot of muscle.

Cancer
11-01-2005, 01:11 PM
What are EFA's?

Also why doesnt carbs/fats matter? When your doing a bulk carbs matter alot.

Anthony
11-01-2005, 01:13 PM
efa = essential fatty acid (aka good fats)

carbs/fats do matter.

getfit
11-01-2005, 01:13 PM
essential fatty acids

getfit
11-01-2005, 01:14 PM
anthony beat me to it :)

[[[----]]]
11-01-2005, 07:09 PM
will doing a low carb cut increase the risk of losing more muscle? Does it just vary from person to person?

Shao-LiN
11-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Depends on how you approach it. A PSMF is supposed to be "protein sparing", so if you do something like that, then it may spare more LBM than starving yourself to great lengths like the guy saying he gets 500 calories a day (this is very stupid if you're not doing a PSMF...hell, even if you are.)

If you're purely just cutting out the carbs, but keeping protein and fats up, you would benefit more from a cyclical approach/carb cycling in order to spare LBM.

Carbs are not the enemy, though. Overeating them can be. You can simply do calorie restriction and lose weight, especially if you're relatively obese to begin with.