PDA

View Full Version : To Whom The Bell Tolls

mrburns
11-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Okay, I decided to start a journal here to track my progress and to motivate myself.

I'll give you a little background info first. I'm 19 years old, 6 feet tall and I weight approximately 157 pounds. So you can see im a skinny little bastard :rolleyes: . I've been training on and off with an inferior diet and training method for over a year now...and now I'm ready to finally put some serious weight on :evillaugh

I'm really not interested in exact measurements of my body, just my overall weight and strength, sorry! not really worth it when you are as frail as I am :cry:

im not going to get really detailed like ive seen others do unless someone asks for it. but here's some general details of my diet.

DIET

4-5 big meals a day, consisting of ground beef, salmon, cheese, mixed vegetables, whole milk, whole wheat bread and fish oil. you get the idea, just ask if you want to know any more.

and here is my workout, stole it from young_squatter who recieved it from the one and only MARK RIPPETOE :ninja:

TRAINING

Workout #1

Squat 3 x 5
Bench 3 x 5
Deadlift 3 x 5

Workout #2

Squat 3 x 5
Military 3 x 5
Hypers 3 x 5
Chins 3 x 5

this workout looks to set personal records 3 times a week. ill be adding 10 lbs a workout to my squat and deadlift for at least the first 3 weeks. and about 5 lbs or less for the rest of my lifts. unfortunately my gym's lowest plate is 2.5 lbs and i cant find any smaller ones in my city.

also, he deadlift sets are in a pyramid style.

well that's about all I can say for now...going to train and eat my ass off and see how this goes!

bye for now :evillaugh

squat it all!
11-01-2005, 01:00 PM
i wouldn't recommend doing squats, bench, and deads in the same workout. i used to do that in college, and it used to wipe me out for days. also, not to be a smartass, but the phrase is "for whom the bell tolls", not "to whom...."

mrburns
11-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Friday Oct. 28th 2005

Okay, slept about 9 1/2 hours last night...so I was quite ready for my 1st intense workout :rolleyes:

I decided to start things a little lighter then I could probably go just to get used to it...so don't laugh at my #'s :french:

Workout #1

Squat - 80 x 5 , 80 x 5, 80 x 5

Bench - 80 x 5 , 80 x 5, 80 x 5

Deadlift - 50 x 5 , 65 x 5, 80 x 5

I've actually finished my 3rd workout already...so I won't start making comments until i get to my latest workout.

later. :windup:

mrburns
11-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Sunday Oct. 30th 2005

overall good workout, still not taking much out of me.

Workout #2

Squat - 90 x 5 , 90 x 5, 90 x 5

Military - 55 x 5 , 55 x 5, 55 x 5

Hypers - 15 x 5 , 15 x 5, 15 x 5

Chins - 45 x 5 , 45 x 5, 45 x 5

This workout was really fun! :) I can already tell that I'm going to love going through this program. Before, when I was doing a regular BB type program I was wishing I could do more compound lifts more frequently, and here it is! :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

The chinups are done with assistance, not added weight...due to my extreme wusslike body. :micro:

I ate like a pig all day and night...lots of beef, milk, potatoes and mixed veggies...I also forgot to mention I take a multi-vitamin and 2 protein shakes a day.

that's all for now. :boring:

kad
11-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Hey, a new journal! Here's some :spam: to start you off. Good luck. :)

mrburns
11-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Friday Oct. 28th 2005

today was possibly one of the worst days of my life. anyone who has quit or tried to quit cigarettes will know what I mean. It has been over 30 hours since my last one...and boy am I feeling like a complete *******. totally flipped out on my dad's GF...and take a guess why? because she drank the rest of my MILK!! :cry: :evillaugh

anyways, on to the good stuff.

Workout #1

Squat - 100 x 5 , 100 x 5, 100 x 5

Bench - 85 x 5 , 85 x 5, 85 x 5

Deadlift - 100 x 5 , 100 x 5, 100 x 5

I made a huge mistake today...not sure if any of you noticed, but my I raised my deadlift 20 FREAKING pounds since the last one. I blame the withdrawl :rolleyes:. now this wouldnt be a problem if i had easily lifted this weight, but I did not...so im not too sure if my form was horrible or not. i know it wasnt COMPLETELY bad but i THINK i might have rounded just slightly...who knows :cry:

I feel like I'm really starting to my squat form down now. I used to have my feet in a fairly wide stance...now I squat from a shoulder width stance and it feels so much better!

ok so now a question for you guys out there...should I

A) increase the weight on my deadlift

B) leave it the same

C) go back 10 lbs to the original amount I should have done

for the next workout...any help?

mrburns
11-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Hey, a new journal! Here's some :spam: to start you off. Good luck. :)

yay! my first bit of spam :zipit:

thank you so much jme, it means a lot! :windup:

mrburns
11-01-2005, 01:34 PM
i wouldn't recommend doing squats, bench, and deads in the same workout. i used to do that in college, and it used to wipe me out for days. also, not to be a smartass, but the phrase is "for whom the bell tolls", not "to whom...."

well you may not recommend it, but one of the world's top strength coach does...and so far I've been feeling much better after my workouts then my old BB style (to failure) workouts.

thanks for pointing that out also, havn't listened to that cd in a hell of a long time...just the first thing that came to mind to get people's attention.

squat it all!
11-01-2005, 01:36 PM
thanks for pointing that out also, havn't listened to that cd in a hell of a long time...just the first thing that came to mind to get people's attention. :cool:

love that cd... now that particular song is in my head, which is a good thing.

squat it all!
11-01-2005, 01:41 PM
well you may not recommend it, but one of the world's top strength coach does...

who was it, just out of curiosity? when i did all three in one session, i felt like it worked my whole body, which was good (not to mention efficient). i think i squatted, benched, and deadlifted, in that order. when i started squatting some serious weight, i felt like the other two lifts suffered, as the squats started to get really intense. know what i mean?

mrburns
11-01-2005, 01:54 PM
it was Mark Rippetoe...you can find the post in the olympic/powerlifting forum.

also, I thought I should post my previous maxes before I started this program.

Squat - 90 lbs
Bench - 90 lbs
Deadlift - 75 lbs

and yes, I realize these are horrible and out of whack.

squat it all!
11-01-2005, 01:58 PM
well if it works for you, go for it. good luck, bro.

mrburns
11-01-2005, 02:12 PM
thanks bro, ive been following a lot of these style workouts on elitefitness for a while now...and been very impressed with people's results. also, i apply the K.I.S.S. theory to everything possible in my life, so this workout is perfect for me :D

mrburns
11-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Thursday Nov. 3rd 2005

well I've been getting ****ty sleep ever since i quit ciggarettes, and today was especially bad. usually once i get to the gym and warm up im ready to go, but today just felt like a struggle...however, i did meet all my goals :)

squats were the worst of all, the last set of 5 was very sketchy and i had to take a few breaths between reps...

anyways, on to the workout

Workout #2

Squat - 110 x 5 , 110 x 5, 220 x 5

Military - 60 x 5 , 60 x 5, 60 x 5

Hypers - 20 x 5 , 20 x 5, 20 x 5

Chins - 40 x 5 , 40 x 5, 40 x 5

well it looks like ive finally found the workout that works AMAZING well! after my first week of doing this workout ive gained...5 FREAKING pounds...and from what mark rippetoe says i can expect this same progression for at least a month...and even then the gains only lesson slightly. i went from 157 to 162...im loving this. :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

later.