PDA

View Full Version : Freestyle Bulking

IRN-BRU
11-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Does anyone else dirty bulk without counting calories, and do you get good lean gains?

I'm bulking without counting calories, or having a set out diet. I have checked calorie contents a lot, and know how many calories are in each food I usually eat, and know the macro content. So I'm freestyling it but with an "educated guess". Protein intake is usually around 120-130g, since I cant be bothered spending money on more whey at the moment.

Is this list of foods below considered a dirty bulk?

I usually eat something like:

breakfast: a big bowl of oats with skim milk. like 70g oats.

lunch: 129g tuna, 100g cottage cheese, 15g 5% fat mayo with either 2 wholewheat bread, or a small potato.

dinner: 300g steak/chicken breast, a potato or bread, pile of veg (peas are 7% protein so I eat those).

supper: ww toast, an egg, mug of hot skim milk etc.

Now I'm bulking I fit in snacks, and have increased portion sizes a bit. Snacks aren't that health, like today I had a 145g toffee flapjack, a Yorkie bar after my work-out for 350 cals. Some spare 1/4 tuna sandwiches. A banana. Some indian snacks.

Do you think I can use "fullness" to judge if I'm always slightly full, I'm on track? I'll be monitoring my weight daily, and see how it goes. I think I'll have no trouble bulking up, I'm an easy gainer:-) I shot up 2-3lb water weight already and now expect a steady rise.

spencerjrus
11-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Ya sure, if you are getting bigger you know you're eating enough, if you're not getting bigger, well...

[[[----]]]
11-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Ya sure, if you are getting bigger you know you're eating enough, if you're not getting bigger, well...
:withstupi

I would eat the candy bars before you work out as well.

spencerjrus
11-02-2005, 01:41 PM
]]']:withstupi

I would eat the candy bars before you work out as well.

Is there any other time to eat candy bars?

Kiaran
11-02-2005, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't say I "dirty bulk", but I don't count my macros or calories every single day. I am conscious of what goes in my stomach, but I rarely turn down anything. In the beginning of my bulk I counted things religiously. Now I can ride without the "training wheels" so to speak. When I feel like I am not eating as well, I will record my macros and stuff to check my results. So far I've put on nearly 20 lbs doing this, of which about 5-6 lbs has been fat I think.

I would not use being full as an indicator of eating enough. You should definitely record your macros for awhile and make sure you're on track before going freestyle with your diet. I have to readjust mine every few weeks. Also, if you're gaining a small amount of weight every 7-14 days, and your body fat isn't going through the roof, I'd say that is a good indicator you're on track.

smalls
11-02-2005, 02:09 PM
I've never made less overall progress than when I was just eyeballing ****. If you eat the same basic things every day then you can just add and it works fine. But for me I have to KNOW every day that i'm eating more calories than I burned or I feel the entire day of eating is wasted. JMO

[[[----]]]
11-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Yeah, you can eat them whenever, I just think before a workout just so you can burn it all off in the gym a little bit more. You might even feel better about eating it too.

tj_muller
11-02-2005, 02:17 PM
I first counted how many calories I eat in one day "free styleing" then I just try to eat like that everyday. It's a pain in the ass counting all those calories everday. (That's why my fitday is empty ;p)

HILL
11-02-2005, 03:28 PM
I would up the protein fto over 200g but thats just me

IRN-BRU
11-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the input.

I have a worrying feeling I'm putting on too much fat, judging by the waistline measurements, and poking flab.. I'll see if I can up the protein, lower the sugar, and stick with it, since I've only gained 3-4lb since stepping up the bulk, gaining 4lb before that over around 3 weeks after giving up cutting. Maybe I'm just scared and should take the fat with the smooth, it's hard though because cutting was fairly hard work and I dont want to go back to being chubby and get stuck there!

I guess a small calorific surplus has to be daily and consistant, being under one day and too far over the next might add up to 1lb weight gain per week, but there's still a day wasted, and a day with extra fat gain. How much of a window does the calorie surplus have? 4 hours, one day, two days? Should you catch up calorie goals, or stick with the calorie "rate per day" etc. Or is this just getting too detailed?

tigo
11-08-2005, 02:39 AM
more protein.. way more protein.. everything else is fine..
if you dont want to buy whey, then eat eggs, more meat, beans, nuts etc

HardToSquat
11-08-2005, 12:33 PM
I would consider your list of food more as a clean bulk versus dirty bulk. I have been bulking for two months now and I have gained 5.5 pounds while keeping a steady waistline. I used to count calories but I then stopped several months ago in my cut. My current bulk includes several servings of ice cream at night and lots of protein and just about everything in sight until I am full or beyond full in my stomach. During this bulk my lifts have never gone up faster. It is simply unbeleivable how important getting enough is. So far in my two month bulk, my deads have now gone up 55 pounds, ATF Squat 45 pounds and my Dummbell Bench has gone from 85 pound DBs in each hand to 105 pound DBs in each hand.