PDA

View Full Version : Made a 4000 calorie shake. WRONG?

closetgeek
11-02-2005, 02:17 PM
My brother made a shake consisting 4000 calories. Its about 12 scoops of cytogainer and 4 cups of whole milk.

HE HATES IT. Its really thick, unbearable and takes him more than an hour to finish. The reason why he does this is because hes lazy. He doesn't like making multiple shakes.

He wants to know if a single 4000 calorie is wrong to make. Maybe hes better off making four 4000 calorie shakes throughout the day? Suggestions? Opinions?

HILL
11-02-2005, 02:27 PM
You mean 4 1000 cal shakes and i would agree with this. Also i wouldnt suggest doing what hes done as it cant be good for your digestion etc. Does he eat other stuff or is this it

bigsethmeister
11-02-2005, 02:30 PM
He's making some expensive pee that's for sure!

closetgeek
11-02-2005, 02:41 PM
You mean 4 1000 cal shakes and i would agree with this. Also i wouldnt suggest doing what hes done as it cant be good for your digestion etc. Does he eat other stuff or is this it

He'll eat other stuff during the day after the shakes. Meals of course. Most of the time he relies on the shakes though.

closetgeek
11-02-2005, 02:41 PM
So is there really nothing wrong with what hes doing? Its still effective?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Um...turn that 4000 calorie shake into 4 smaller shakes throughout the day, like what was previously suggested. Downing that much at once is not good for the digestive system...it's downright evil on the stomach. He shouldn't torture himself just because he's lazy. If it takes an hour just to down a shake, there's something wrong there.

eps
11-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Does he hate the actual process of making it? Tell him to down a 1/4 or 1/5 of the shake every 3 hours until he finishes it. Keep it cool in the meantime.

-Eps

Slim Schaedle
11-02-2005, 05:49 PM
My brother made a shake consisting 4000 calories. Its about 12 scoops of cytogainer and 4 cups of whole milk.

HE HATES IT. Its really thick, unbearable and takes him more than an hour to finish. The reason why he does this is because hes lazy. He doesn't like making multiple shakes.

He wants to know if a single 4000 calorie is wrong to make. Maybe hes better off making four 4000 calorie shakes throughout the day? Suggestions? Opinions?
What is his caloric goal for the day? Just curious.

Praetorian
11-02-2005, 06:07 PM
pffft...that's nothing. We had MREs that had 6k cals in one portion (the daily ration was 16k). That was sweet.

Spartacus
11-02-2005, 06:27 PM
that has to be the least enjoyable way to injest 4k calories i've ever hear of.

Shao-LiN
11-02-2005, 07:14 PM
4k cals in an hour, wow. Does he bulk on 20k calories or something?

Chris686
11-02-2005, 09:36 PM
these comments are funny.

As for a 4000 calorie shake...that's ******ed.

smalls
11-02-2005, 11:17 PM
If it makes getting his cals in and growing easier then it sounds fine for me. Adding milk or water will make it easer to down. I would split it into 2 shakes for digestion purposes, but it's no biggie.

Kiaran
11-02-2005, 11:59 PM
Doesn't everyone have some sort of limit as to how many calories you can actually metabolise per hour or so? I can't imagine that all 4000 calories went to good use. Most of it probably goes straight into the toilet.

smalls
11-03-2005, 12:32 AM
How exactly does it pass through your system undigested? It just slows gastric emptying and takes longer for the process to happen.

mikey4402
11-03-2005, 01:25 AM
ummm first off if i tryed drinking that my ass would be on fire...

if you want my advice i would tell him to take one or two shakes a day, but only 1000 cal each. He should be eatting most of his calories instead of drinking them. i doubt all of it is being metabolise, and it cant be good on his digestive system.

is he scared of burning calories making multiple shakes?

closetgeek
11-03-2005, 03:54 AM
Does he hate the actual process of making it? Tell him to down a 1/4 or 1/5 of the shake every 3 hours until he finishes it. Keep it cool in the meantime.

-Eps

Yes. Hes lazy when it comes to making multiple shakes throughout the day.

I think for his maintanance calories its around 3000.

Doesn't everyone have some sort of limit as to how many calories you can actually metabolise per hour or so? I can't imagine that all 4000 calories went to good use. Most of it probably goes straight into the toilet.

I'd like to know this too.

If it makes getting his cals in and growing easier then it sounds fine for me. Adding milk or water will make it easer to down. I would split it into 2 shakes for digestion purposes, but it's no biggie.

I guess what hes doing isn't wrong then? I'll suggest it to him.

Davidelmo
11-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Just make that shake at the beginning of the day.

Split into 4

Refridgerate

Drink every 3 hours.

Sorted.

Slim Schaedle
11-03-2005, 07:19 AM
Some of you are confusing digestion with nutrient absorption.

ShockBoxer
11-03-2005, 09:54 AM
The difference being?

ReelBigFish
11-03-2005, 10:55 AM
it takes up to 10 hrs. for things to completely travel through your small intestines, which is where nutrients are absorbed. Just because your stomach is empty doesn't mean you aren't uptaking nutrients from the food. It's not like food is absorbed in your stomach and once it leaves there, what wasn't absorbed goes to waste.

Spartacus
11-03-2005, 11:00 AM
also if you eat a tonne of food at once, a lot of it will just sit and wait around in your stomach.

smalls
11-03-2005, 11:05 AM
ummm first off if i tryed drinking that my ass would be on fire...

if you want my advice i would tell him to take one or two shakes a day, but only 1000 cal each. He should be eatting most of his calories instead of drinking them. i doubt all of it is being metabolise, and it cant be good on his digestive system.

is he scared of burning calories making multiple shakes?

Why is that, cuz you someone told you so? I take in 100% of my calories in liquid form, shouldnt I be shrinking due to poor nutrition?

Everyone here needs to stop giving advice on a topic they clearly dont understand. Slim, reelbigfish, and spartacus seem to understand the topic of digestion and absorption and delayed gastric emptying. Sure it doesnt sound FUN to you, but who said eating is ever fun. Some amounts of food can pass through the entire system without fully being digested, this is usually very small and different for each person. The fact remains, if it is allowing this person to meet their caloric goals then they are one step closer than most people.

[[[----]]]
11-03-2005, 11:17 AM
:withstupi so does big chasey chase.

CarlP
11-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Why is that, cuz you someone told you so? I take in 100% of my calories in liquid form, shouldnt I be shrinking due to poor nutrition?

Everyone here needs to stop giving advice on a topic they clearly dont understand. Slim, reelbigfish, and spartacus seem to understand the topic of digestion and absorption and delayed gastric emptying. Sure it doesnt sound FUN to you, but who said eating is ever fun. Some amounts of food can pass through the entire system without fully being digested, this is usually very small and different for each person. The fact remains, if it is allowing this person to meet their caloric goals then they are one step closer than most people.

Corn. An all liquid diet should be no different than all solid. If it's got the proper nutrients and meets the caloric goals, go for it.

ReelBigFish
11-03-2005, 01:12 PM
The only problem I see w/ having an all liquid diet for an extended period of time is that the body doesn't have to work as hard to digest liquids (unless adaquate fiber is present) and when one goes back to eating solid foods you want to make sure to do it slowly because it could cause digestion problems from lack of "complete" use.

Slim Schaedle
11-03-2005, 04:21 PM
The difference being?
Digestion is the process by which food is converted into substances that can be absorbed and assimilated by the body. It is accomplished in the alimentary canal by the mechanical and enzymatic breakdown of foods into simpler chemical compounds.

Now, absoroption is the responsibility of the micro vili, located on the vili extending into the lumen of the small intestine. This is what most of you are refering to when you say "used by the body" and whatnot. (even though "used by the body" would really mean other things such as the formation of proteins, conversion to glucose, etc. etc.)

Absorption of some things, such as alcohol, occurs in the stomach.

ThatSkinnyGuy
11-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Holy polysyllabic scientific terms, Batman!

/applaud

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-03-2005, 07:59 PM
All liquid diet...eesh. I hope you're getting a crapload (no pun intended) of fiber. Having continuous bulk passing through your system prevents you from getting all kinds of diseases/cancers/whatever.

pruneman
11-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Now, absoroption is the responsibility of the micro vili, located on the vili extending into the lumen of the small intestine. This is what most of you are refering to when you say "used by the body" and whatnot. (even though "used by the body" would really mean other things such as the formation of proteins, conversion to glucose, etc. etc.)

Yes, and following absorption is storage of excess nutrients as fat...this is a process that should be made known to a person with a 3000 calorie maintenance level who decides to drink a 4000 cal shake in an hour on top of his normal daily diet.

smalls
11-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Who has a 3000 calorie maintenance? Do you know the original poster personally, cuz it takes me 7200 cals to gain and i'm sure that's not the number some calculator is going to spit out.

And to scarz, personally my liquid diet includes a minimum of 1 cup of oatmeal in each of my 7 shakes. Enough fiber for a horse, i'm sure. But it's defanitly a good suggestion to keep that fiber high.

ReelBigFish
11-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Who has a 3000 calorie maintenance? Do you know the original poster personally, cuz it takes me 7200 cals to gain and i'm sure that's not the number some calculator is going to spit out.

And to scarz, personally my liquid diet includes a minimum of 1 cup of oatmeal in each of my 7 shakes. Enough fiber for a horse, i'm sure. But it's defanitly a good suggestion to keep that fiber high.

7200!!! DAMN :omg: Have you ever attempted that with eating food, not shakes? I couldn't imagine. What do your shakes consist of, if you don't mind.

Slim Schaedle
11-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Yes, and following absorption is storage of excess nutrients as fat.
Have you ever heard of Gycogenesis? If not look it up, get back to me. Then correct your post b/c it is slightly off. (the storage process of glucose not being the only concern regarding your post, mind you)

...this is a process that should be made known to a person with a 3000 calorie maintenance level who decides to drink a 4000 cal shake in an hour on top of his normal daily diet.
I'm not sure my post was intended to endorse the original poster's brother's method of caloric intake. Actually, I know that's not what I intended. My post was directed at the question I quoted.

closetgeek
11-04-2005, 06:11 AM
The only problem I see w/ having an all liquid diet for an extended period of time is that the body doesn't have to work as hard to digest liquids (unless adaquate fiber is present) and when one goes back to eating solid foods you want to make sure to do it slowly because it could cause digestion problems from lack of "complete" use.

Yes. Hes already taken this into account and eats enough fiber.

pruneman
11-04-2005, 06:49 AM
Have you ever heard of Gycogenesis? If not look it up, get back to me. Then correct your post b/c it is slightly off. (the storage process of glucose not being the only concern regarding your post, mind you)

I assume you mean glycogenesis, which, yes, I have heard of. I am fully aware that glucose can be stored in the form of glycogen. The amount of glucose that will be stored as glycogen is, however, finite. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assert that ingestion of 4000 calories in an hour will activate the pathways involved in storing fat. I think your comment was a little nit-picky for this thread. My post was not intended to be a complete description of nutrient metabolism.

I'm not sure my post was intended to endorse the original poster's brother's method of caloric intake. Actually, I know that's not what I intended. My post was directed at the question I quoted.

My original post was not intended to bash your post. I was just trying to make the point that it is probably not a good idea for this person to drink a 4000 cal shake in an hr.

pruneman
11-04-2005, 06:53 AM

I think for his maintanance calories its around 3000.

Just going by what I read.

Slim Schaedle
11-04-2005, 10:25 AM
My original post was not intended to bash your post. I was just trying to make the point that it is probably not a good idea for this person to drink a 4000 cal shake in an hr.
Cool, gotya. I was just responding to the question about the difference between digestion and absorption.

I think your comment was a little nit-picky for this thread. I agree that I sometimes like to nit-pick, but sometimes it helps people learn more.

Good deal.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-04-2005, 12:38 PM
And to scarz, personally my liquid diet includes a minimum of 1 cup of oatmeal in each of my 7 shakes. Enough fiber for a horse, i'm sure. But it's defanitly a good suggestion to keep that fiber high.I figured you were using oats. :) The minimum requirement is about 25g of fiber per day, so that's good. Shakes are definitely easier to down than solid food.

reeffish
11-04-2005, 01:13 PM
I can't believe people would suggest that all liquid diets are okay... time to do some research guys

spencerjrus
11-04-2005, 01:32 PM
I can't believe people would suggest that all liquid diets are okay... time to do some research guys

Please explain whats wrong with an all liquid diet, because I have experimented with it and I freaking love it. Quite a few successful vets on this board use or have used all liquid diets and I have heard no complaints.

Adam
11-04-2005, 02:11 PM
:withstupi
I've done it in the past (not by choice) and i had great results. Mind you, if i could have eaten some of the calories i would have.
If you do that though be SURE to take a multi and I took b-complex too.

reeffish
11-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Well for one, people have been know to have heart attacks from it... the theory is because of vitamin deficiencies.

But hey, if you want to just drink protein shakes and carefully balance vitamin intake (not sure if just taking a multi-vitamin is going to cut it) then sure go for it.

Most of diet is common sense. If you don't have a problem with 100% of your protein, carbs, vitamins and minerals coming from unnatural sources go for it. Just hope that modern science fully understands all the vitamins and minerals that the body needs and in the correct dosages. Diets that include food have millions of years of successful testing. The all liquid diet tests that I have seen usually result in vitamin deficiencies and health problems (even death)... but you decide.

spencerjrus
11-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Well for one, people have been know to have heart attacks from it... the theory is because of vitamin deficiencies.

But hey, if you want to just drink protein shakes and carefully balance vitamin intake (not sure if just taking a multi-vitamin is going to cut it) then sure go for it.

Most of diet is common sense. If you don't have a problem with 100% of your protein, carbs, vitamins and minerals coming from unnatural sources go for it. Just hope that modern science fully understands all the vitamins and minerals that the body needs and in the correct dosages. Diets that include food have millions of years of successful testing. The all liquid diet tests that I have seen usually result in vitamin deficiencies and health problems (even death)... but you decide.

ROFLMAO!!!!! I dont even use protein powder in my shakes. Are you trying to say that if I take a bunch of solid food, put it in a blender, and eat it, that I'm going to have a heart attack? As opposed to being healthy if I ate it solid? Are you just arguing for the sake of it or has someone actually told you the above information while managing to keep a straight face?

Slim Schaedle
11-04-2005, 05:24 PM
If you don't have a problem with 100% of your protein, carbs, vitamins and minerals coming from unnatural sources go for it.
Oats are unnatural? Milk?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-04-2005, 05:56 PM
There have been reports of people dying from heart complications by doing liquid protein diets. I'm not sure what a liquid protein diet is, but it sounds like it's lacking in other nutrients, so I'm assuming that's what caused the problem.

And your food is natural sources, so you should be getting all the vitamins and minerals ya need. You need bulk passing through your digestive tract to keep it healthy, and to prevent cancers and stomach problems such as diverticulosis and diverticulitis. This is what a high fiber diet helps prevent. But I don't know how much bulk would be pushing it's way through your system on an all liquid diet, even with the high fiber intake. You should get checked up at the doc often to make sure that your diet isn't having any negative effects on your digestive tract. I'm sure that the natural foods you're eating are fine on top of the high fiber intake, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Get frequent check ups.

smalls
11-04-2005, 08:30 PM

Homie, do you think this is an anorexic website. Are we a bunch of fat misguided, uneducated douches trying to lose that 40lbs of pure fat we gained in the last 10 years of sedentary life? You, my friend, are on a bodybuilding website, one of the best out there. And yet you act as if were using a protein diet like it's 1978, lol. My liquid diet consists of 7200 calories, from milk, oatmeal, whey and egg protein, olive oil and pb. Among the few other things I throw in periodically and cheat meals. My RDA for every vitamin is through the roof. Please have a basic understanding of the issues you are addressing before coming off like a complete bumbling fool. This was me being nice, next time I bitch slap you.

spencerjrus
11-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Homie, do you think this is an anorexic website. Are we a bunch of fat misguided, uneducated douches trying to lose that 40lbs of pure fat we gained in the last 10 years of sedentary life? You, my friend, are on a bodybuilding website, one of the best out there. And yet you act as if were using a protein diet like it's 1978, lol. My liquid diet consists of 7200 calories, from milk, oatmeal, whey and egg protein, olive oil and pb. Among the few other things I throw in periodically and cheat meals. My RDA for every vitamin is through the roof. Please have a basic understanding of the issues you are addressing before coming off like a complete bumbling fool. This was me being nice, next time I bitch slap you.

Hatred Jr. *applause*

HemiVision
11-06-2005, 12:41 AM

Are you Jay Cutler? :D

smalls
11-06-2005, 12:45 AM
Actually i'm a weak byiaznitch, my body just doesnt like to grow. 7200 cals was needed when I weighed 245 or so, I'm maintaining at slightly less than that now, maybe 15%.

Cancer
11-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Just wondering...

How many calories can your body use in one sitting? My friend just bought a crappy GNC weight gainer and the stuff has like 1,800 calories in one shake. I told him to only use 1.5 scoops instead of the recomended 3.

cphafner
11-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Just wondering...

How many calories can your body use in one sitting? My friend just bought a crappy GNC weight gainer and the stuff has like 1,800 calories in one shake. I told him to only use 1.5 scoops instead of the recomended 3.

It's all sugar, a waste of money.

Cancer
11-07-2005, 07:31 AM
Wouldnt they be good post workout/just waking up then?

smalls
11-07-2005, 07:45 AM
They would be fine there are just much cheaper way's to do it. Just by dextrose +maltodextrin and whey protein seperatly and then make your own shake. Have him dose it according to his caloric intake for the day to ensure weight gain (if that's his goal) not according to some magic number than you guess the body can digest. The body utilizes most anything you give it.

Cancer
11-07-2005, 07:48 AM
He doesnt eat enough calories during the day to gain weight. For some reason he trhinks if he buys a weight gainer hes going to gain weight.

reeffish
11-07-2005, 11:53 AM
ROFLMAO!!!!! I dont even use protein powder in my shakes. Are you trying to say that if I take a bunch of solid food, put it in a blender, and eat it, that I'm going to have a heart attack? As opposed to being healthy if I ate it solid? Are you just arguing for the sake of it or has someone actually told you the above information while managing to keep a straight face?

Don't be stupid, of course not. The thread originally started with this:

"My brother made a shake consisting 4000 calories. Its about 12 scoops of cytogainer and 4 cups of whole milk."

I don't see a mention of oats there.

Last time I checked oats are not a liquid so if you are taking in oats and other solids with your shake, guess what - IT IS NOT A 100% LIQUID DIET

reeffish
11-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Oats are unnatural? Milk?

Again, I was commenting on this guy getting 4000 calories a day from his shake which was described as:

"My brother made a shake consisting 4000 calories. Its about 12 scoops of cytogainer and 4 cups of whole milk."

I don't see oats in there and while the milk might be natural, 12 scoops of cytogainer isn't. It's not exactly what I would call a well balanced diet

reeffish
11-07-2005, 12:04 PM

Well considering the first post was asking about drinking a 4000 calorie protein shake made out of just 12 scoops of cytogainer and 4 cups of whole milk, I assumed that I wasn't talking to someone with a masters degree in nutrition.

While your "liquid" diet may contain oatmeal, whey and other things, this was obviously not the diet I was referring to (since you hadn't posted it). If you weren't so self-centered, you would realize this thread was trying to address the original posters question and it wasn't all about your diet - which should have been obvious since you hadn't posted your diet in the thread yet.

It's not all about you... and you don't have to be a complete jackass about it either.

pruneman
11-07-2005, 03:36 PM
:lurk:

HahnB
11-07-2005, 04:42 PM
This thread doesn't even make any sense. It he's lazy, it would be much easier to drink 4 shakes a day than try and drink a gigantic thick shake like that in 1 sitting.

cphafner
11-07-2005, 06:11 PM
This thread doesn't even make any sense. It he's lazy, it would be much easier to drink 4 shakes a day than try and drink a gigantic thick shake like that in 1 sitting.

With as lazy as he is, does he even lift? This thread needs to go...

Slim Schaedle
11-07-2005, 06:38 PM
I don't see oats in there and while the milk might be natural, 12 scoops of cytogainer isn't. It's not exactly what I would call a well balanced diet
Not trying to come down on you, but you do know that whey comes naturally from cows milk, right?

I guess the argument of processing, etc. etc. can come into to play...but then the point can be made that very few foods are really "natural."

Well considering the first post was asking about drinking a 4000 calorie protein shake made out of just 12 scoops of cytogainer and 4 cups of whole milk, I assumed that I wasn't talking to someone with a masters degree in nutrition.Does having a Masters in nutrition mean that one automatically eats according to the "food guide pyramid" and has everything in balance or whatnot?

Bodybuilding diets are not always focussed on "balance" and what is necessarily "good" for the body.

Now I must go to study in pursuit of my masters in nutrition. How's that for irony....or something...

smalls
11-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Well considering the first post was asking about drinking a 4000 calorie protein shake made out of just 12 scoops of cytogainer and 4 cups of whole milk, I assumed that I wasn't talking to someone with a masters degree in nutrition.

While your "liquid" diet may contain oatmeal, whey and other things, this was obviously not the diet I was referring to (since you hadn't posted it). If you weren't so self-centered, you would realize this thread was trying to address the original posters question and it wasn't all about your diet - which should have been obvious since you hadn't posted your diet in the thread yet.

It's not all about you... and you don't have to be a complete jackass about it either.

Yes, but doing so really sends the message home that much harder. And it doesnt matter if there are oats in it or not. Cytogainer isnt going to kill this bro 12 scoops still has over 12 grams of fiber. Certainly not ideal but I dont anyone this lazy is going to keep this exact diet for that long anyway. You are the one who doesnt understand the idea of a bodybuilder based liquid diet (no quotation marks needed, it's liquid wether its water and whey based or milk and oatmeal based) thus we explained it to you. Your argument was disgustingly destroyed please admit defeat and continue your education in other threads.

And lol@ slim. Irony is a beautiful thing.

closetgeek
11-08-2005, 01:02 AM
With as lazy as he is, does he even lift?

Hes only lazy in making the drinks throughout the day. However, he does infact lift.

reeffish
11-08-2005, 10:55 AM
Not trying to come down on you, but you do know that whey comes naturally from cows milk, right?

I guess the argument of processing, etc. etc. can come into to play...but then the point can be made that very few foods are really "natural."
Does having a Masters in nutrition mean that one automatically eats according to the "food guide pyramid" and has everything in balance or whatnot?

Bodybuilding diets are not always focussed on "balance" and what is necessarily "good" for the body.

Now I must go to study in pursuit of my masters in nutrition. How's that for irony....or something...

No but hopefully if someone had that type of education, they wouldn't have to ask questions about 4000 calorie protein shakes.

reeffish
11-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Yes, but doing so really sends the message home that much harder. And it doesnt matter if there are oats in it or not. Cytogainer isnt going to kill this bro 12 scoops still has over 12 grams of fiber. Certainly not ideal but I dont anyone this lazy is going to keep this exact diet for that long anyway. You are the one who doesnt understand the idea of a bodybuilder based liquid diet (no quotation marks needed, it's liquid wether its water and whey based or milk and oatmeal based) thus we explained it to you. Your argument was disgustingly destroyed please admit defeat and continue your education in other threads.

And lol@ slim. Irony is a beautiful thing.

Being a jackass sends the message home that much harder? Actually I thought it just made you look like a jackass. You can make a point without having to be completely rude about it. Didn't your mother ever teach you how to play well with others?

The last time I checked smashing up a solid and submerging it in a liquid did not turn that solid into a liquid unless it was something that was dissolvable. Obviously our concept of a liquid diet wasn't in argeement. I didn't know there was an official council of weight lifters somewhere that defined exactly what the term liquid diet meant. I should have known (since obviously everyone else does) that liquid diets included solid foods.

Again, I was just commenting on the post... where his liquid based diet didn't include solids. I am sorry that I didn't know that your liquid diet does contain solids. There are newbies that read this thread too and they may have missed the memo that came up when the official council of weight lifters defined what makes up a liquid diet. I just don't want newbies to read a thread condoning living off just protein shakes and not understand that solids are an important part of the mix (whether you crush them up in your shake or eat them separately)

Again, I wasn't commenting on your diet. You don't have to be a complete jerk to try and get your point across.