PDA

View Full Version : CARBS--How many, and how to lower?

ShadyRensch
11-03-2005, 04:40 PM
I've been cutting for about a month now with some good success. One thing I'm still shaky on is the amount of carbs I'm taking in. The link to my Fitday is in my signature. And I'm pretty sure I got WAY too many carbs today. I'm 6'0", 195 pounds, not sure of bf %. I'm eating 1700-1900 calories a day, with 180-230 g of protein and less than 80 g fat. How many carbs should I be taking?

I lift Mon, Tues, Thurs, Friday with an all cardio/abs day on Wednesday (about 60 minutes of HIIT, spread out, not in a row.) Then about 20 min. cardio on the other workout days, after I'm done lifting.

So basically, I'm just wondering what amount of carbs I should be taking in daily, and should it change on the day I just do cardio.

Thanks!

Built
11-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Okay, well, personally, I like to cut on higher fats and lower carbs - it's just more comfortable.

There's no set amount of carb you actually need. Your fats shouldn't be any lower than about half a gram per pound LBM, protein no lower than a gram per pound LBM. Other than that, set the rest of your calories up in such a way as to control hunger.

I like to cycle carbs, so that I get more carbs on lifting days, less on cardio only / rest days, when I don't need 'em so there's no point making myself hungry with 'em.

But the level is entirely up to you. If you think they're too high, drop 'em a bit and crank up the fats a bit, see how you feel

Jorge Sanchez
11-03-2005, 06:17 PM
I think your cals are too low, especially if you are doing cardio.

How quickly are you losing weight?

Built
11-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Nice catch - they DO look low. Shady, you're cutting on what I cut on, and that was toward the end of my cut.

What are your maintenance calories?

Roark
11-03-2005, 07:29 PM
There's no set amount of carb you actually need. Your fats shouldn't be any lower than about half a gram per pound LBM, protein no lower than a gram per pound LBM.

built

i've seen you reference this quite a bit

what's the basis?

not challenging you, just interested

i'm in the ending stages of a cut and have few calories to spare, so perhaps i need to divert some from carbs to fats

Built
11-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Well, the protein guideline is pretty standard.

The fat guideline is to ensure proper endocrine support. The journal reference is in the post linked to in my sig. Fats are very satisfying, so it's easier to cut on higher fats than higher carbs. Carbs stimulate insulin, which inhibits glucagon - this can also be problematic while cutting, since it can interfere with fat burning.

Roark
11-03-2005, 07:35 PM
cool i'll read it

thanks

Roark
11-03-2005, 07:35 PM
oh yeah

i was referring to the fats portion of that quote

just to clarify

Built
11-03-2005, 07:37 PM
I kinda figured. The protein one has been around for a while.

Higher fats are just kinda starting to get more attention in the BB community, but the old myths about fats REALLY seem to die hard.

Roark
11-03-2005, 07:46 PM
i'll try it out next week

ShadyRensch
11-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Well, this is my first time "calorie counting" if I had to guess I'd say maintenance around 2300-2400?? I did weight watchers before this, and that was all points crap. I was 290 then. I'm 190 now, and its hard to guess what I would maintain at because I've pretty much been losing weight for 2 years.