PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with westside for skinny bastards routine?

lector606
11-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Hey guys I finally decided to try westside for skinny bastards. I am really excited about it but I am having a couple problems. This is what I have chosen for my first few weeks:

+++++ Max Effort Upper Body (Monday) +++++

A. MAX-EFFORT LIFT Work up to a max set of 3-5 reps.

Close-grip bench press (index finger on smooth part of bar)

B. SUPPLEMENTAL LIFT Perform 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.

Incline dumbbell bench press

C. HORIZONTAL ROW Perform 4 sets of 10-15 reps.

Bent-over barbell rows

D. REAR DELT/UPPER BACK Perform 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps.

Bent-over dumbbell rear delt flyes

E. WEIGHTED ABDOMINAL EXERCISE 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps.

Hanging leg raises

+++++ LOWER BODY (Wednesday) +++++

A. MAX-EFFORT LIFT Work up to a max set of 5 reps.

Squats

B. UNILATERAL MOVEMENT Perform 3-4 sets of 8-15 reps.

Bulgarian split squat variation

C. HAMSTRING / POSTERIOR CHAIN MOVEMENT Perform 3-4 sets of 6-10

Romanian deadlifts

D. GRIP TRAINING Perform 3 sets of timed sets.

Wrist roller

++++++ REPETITION UPPER BODY (Friday) ++++++

A. REPETITION LIFT Work up to 3 sets of max reps, rest 60 seconds between sets.

B. SUPPLEMENTAL LIFT (triceps) Perform 3-4 sets of 5-10 reps.

Skull crushers (EZ bar or straight bar)

C. VERTICAL PULLING Perform 4 sets of 8-12 reps

Chin-ups or Pull-ups

D. MEDIAL DELT or TRAP EXERCISE Perform 3 sets of 10-15 reps.

Dumbbell shoulder press (seated or standing)

E. ELBOW FLEXION EXERCISE Perform 3 sets of 8-10 reps

Alternate dumbbell curls (standing or seated incline)

F. ABDOMINAL CIRCUIT TRAINING

Just pick a variety of ab exercises and perform them in circuit fashion with no rest between exercises.

I am having trouble picking a repitition exercise for my repitition day. I sort of want to do parallel bar dips but last time I tried I can do 55 with my bodyweight, so I guess I should do bench press?

Also I really want to find a way to work olympic lifts in here, is there any possibility of me just adding a lift to a day? Like for instance on my lower body day after squats could I do hang clean front squats (don't ask lol, I just love doing these). Possibly maybe do clean and press instead of dumbbell shoulder press on my repitition day, or do it with medium weight for my repitition exercise? Can I fit in overhead squats anywhere?

Maybe if instead of the exercises on the repitition day I messed with it a bit? Repitition exercise, then clean + press, then overhead squats, then triceps assistance, then elbow flexion, then abs?

Thanks very much for reading this I know it can be a bit long! Any input on my program at all is very much appreciated.

Adam
11-04-2005, 06:02 PM
I'm not trying to just give you a short answer cause I'm lazy but the best part of Westside is its adaptability and with Westside, change(to the program) is always welcome.

If you want, do the premade program for ~4 weeks then adapt it to suit your needs.

drew
11-05-2005, 12:02 PM
For rep day (upper), do incline close grips or close grip floor press or db presses (hands facing in) off a bench or floor. Or do high board (3,4 or 5) close grips. Dips are no good. How heavy can you train your triceps with dips as opposed to a pressing motion?

If you want to do Oly lifts, I would do them on your rep bench days either as a warm up or after your main lifts. You could also do them at a separate time altogether (I sometimes like to do light powercleans for reps on an off day). Olys are good to build your upper back and grip which will help with your bench (mostly).

Make sure to do your squats off a box, it will help you learn the proper squat form and make it much easier when you get into much heavier weights.