PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition for college student

gator
11-05-2005, 01:54 AM
I'm a college student and dont have access to nice home cooked protein meals anymore like steak chicken, etc. My diet is basically cereal w/milk for breakfast, a couple granola bars or yogurt as for some snacks, then dinner, usually subway with double meat to at least get some protein. I'm about 170-175 lbs 6'0'' with muscle as I have been working out for 3-4 years now, but not huge or ripped. What are some good ways to supplement some protein without getting too many calories, my matabolism is just really slow it seems, i'm very active and can still gain weight, which is why i just cut about 10-15 lbs from my football weight been eating about 1200 calories a day the last 2 months to do that. i want to get back into some lifting and need some diet advice that would work for a college student that can't cook.

HoTShoT_KiD
11-05-2005, 02:15 AM
I was going through the same thing as you. Personally, i find the cafeteria food tastes like crap. Basically, every couple days i run out and buy some needed supplies and restock my fridge. Eggs in the morning. Tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread, etc. Check out my Fitday. The one downfall is the fact that i get no solid supply of meat which would be a nice addition. I have also found milk to be nice for adding on those extra calories. I've been on the diet for a little over a month but only recently started fitday, and gained about 13.5 pounds. Hope this can be some help to you. -HoTShoT-

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=HoTShoT%5FKiD

I just noticed that it doesn't look like you want a whole lot of cals. I have been able to get nice amounts of protein within the diet though.

gator
11-05-2005, 02:39 AM
yea cafeteria food does really suck, it gets old after a while. thats why subway doulbe meat probably packs some protein, and I didn't bring a car with me to college because its a huge campus and is a hastle so going to the store kinda blows too, I stock up every month or so though, and get milk every week or so though. I love milk though, if I need more protein I could drink a half gallon of that stuff a day..mmm milk.I really wish I knew my body fat %, how do I get that checked out? Also i checked out your link and it has calories burned, where do input how many calories you burn or where does it tell you how much you burn. I've never really been a calorie counter untill the last couple months even when I used to lift for football I would just eat a lot and lift weight, nothing else. I'm trying to get a good routine going here to keep myself motivated.

gator
11-05-2005, 08:39 AM
something that kinda relates to my topic, I went to that website and it says I burn about 3k calories a day. Now during the summer I probably had about 2.5-3k calories a day, yet I ended up gaining about 15 lbs, which is why i'm on the cutting phase and almost done with that. I've never been a huge eater, and dont eat much junk food yet it seems its hard for me to loose weight and I gain it easy. How would I bulk up with this with out gaining so much weight... maybe diet of about 1500 calories + a nice big protein shake or something?

ReelBigFish
11-05-2005, 08:45 AM
1200 calories?? are ya nuts? you say you gained 15lbs over the summer on 2500 to 3K calories right? so that's what 5lbs a month over 3 months, right? that's a little over a lb a week. you may need around 2k to 2200 cals. but when you go down as far as 1200you risk slowing down your metabolism even more. You need to take a few weeks and find out what your maintanence is. to do this you need to up your cals. Yes you will gain weight at first because you're only eating 1200 right now and when you add carbs you add water weight.

ReelBigFish
11-05-2005, 08:47 AM
I would start adding 300 cals a day to get you to 1500 and have that shake if you want. Then when your gaining stops, add more. Do you use fitday to count your cals, or do it yourself?

gator
11-05-2005, 08:54 AM
I do it myself just started this a couple months ago, maybe 1200 was a little undershotting, however it was at about this a month ago. Here is my diet basically.

Creal in morning, 2 servings w/milk about 400 calories

during the day usually 2 snacks, like granola bars or some fruit even yogut, about 220 a day from that

dinner = different all the time, usually subway double meat which is about 700 calories I think, with no mayo.

Then sometimes at night I snack on some pretzals

So I guess thats about 1400 calories, still not much though. However this is with some added calories lately, I'm slowly trying to work my calories up to 2k, to see how much my body adjusts to this. I never really counted calories so its just an estimate that during the summer I had about 2.5-3k calories. However I used to wake up at night and have a big bowl of cereal and eating at night is bad, but I dont know how bad. I dont do that anymore though.

Canadian Crippler
11-05-2005, 10:41 AM
My breakfast has 1400 calories. Eat up son.

Manveet
11-05-2005, 10:47 AM
My breakfast has 1400 calories. Eat up son.

:withstupi

gator
11-05-2005, 11:24 AM
I had a good breakfast today...bunch of eggs, sausage, biscuts, fruit and some cereal...mmm good. Didn't know breakfast is served till 2, might hit that up more often. How long does protein stay in your system, till it's becomes fat?

Manveet
11-05-2005, 01:31 PM
I had a good breakfast today...bunch of eggs, sausage, biscuts, fruit and some cereal...mmm good. Didn't know breakfast is served till 2, might hit that up more often. How long does protein stay in your system, till it's becomes fat?

It can take several hours for a meal to digest completely.

Excess protein is not the only thing that can be stored as fat.