PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of this diet scheme?

juth1685
11-06-2005, 12:11 PM
so ive decided that i need to stop being lazy and get my diet clean and in order. ive set up a plan and fitdayed it to see what it came out to nutrient wise and thsi is what ive got. id really appreciated any comments. im 5'6" and about 192. i am an endomorph, through and through.

meal #1:
1 cup oatmeal
1 hard boiled egg, 4 egg whites
sm glass milk

meal#2:
1 cup baby carrots
1 protein shake

meal #3:
1 c brown rice
1 chicken breast
steamed/cooked broccoli

meal #4:
1 c celery
1-2 tbsp natural peanut butter

meal #5 (preworkout):
protein shake

meal #6:
1 piece fish or can tuna or bowl beef and bean chili
1 salad (tomatoes and cucumbers, etc) w/ oil and vinegar
milk
1 cup low fat cottae cheese
apple or other piece fruit

comes out to be 25% fat, 35% carb, and 40% protein, 2190 cals. how does this sound? I plan on lifting 4 days a week. thanks in advance!

Anthony
11-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Your fat intake seems low. Overall your food choices look decent. How many calories are you eating now? If it's much more than 2500, I'd probably start your diet with higher calories and slowly reduce.

Griffin98
11-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Is meal 6 your post-workout meal? I'd throw a high GI shake in place of it and have meal 6 an hour later.

Also, what's your goal? Are you cutting or bulking?

juth1685
11-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Im really not cutting or bulking. I planned on getting my diet dialed in and my lifting program on track and get into the swing of things, and then go wither to bulk or cut from there. if i add some high GI food in meal 6 which is post workout, will that be better?

Anthony
11-06-2005, 12:55 PM
If you're 192, you'll probably lose weight on 2200 calories. Either way, I would definitely increase your fat intake.

juth1685
11-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Im ok with losing a few lbs, actually that would be pretty good...but will that significantly inhibit muscle growth? and how much more fat would you suggest?

Anthony
11-06-2005, 03:24 PM
What is your maintenance calorie level? I'd personally increase your fat to around 100g. Like I said, you don't want to drop your cals too fast. If you were eating 3500-4000 and you drop to 2200, it will have negative effects. So figure out your maintenance cals and then slowly reduce.

WaterWalker
11-06-2005, 03:38 PM
It is def. hard to pack on muscle when you are restricting your calorie intake. That is why most of us do cut/bulk cycles. The diet should be tailored around a goal. Are you looking to lose fat or gain muscle? We can help you alter the diet from there. Also, I really don't see 25% of your diet as being fat. There is a sticky on "What a bodybuilder eats." Take a look for some ideas. WW.

juth1685
11-06-2005, 03:42 PM
I guess my goal is to lose fat and get fitter for crew season. I just ahve a few questions and i really appreciate you advice guys, anthony your insane, i just checked out your journal...its inspiring to say the least. you got any pics on here? anyway, how do I find my maintenance calories? as for the amt of fat thing, thats what fitday says...how about if i ditch the egg whites and go for full eggs?

thanks again

Anthony
11-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Thanks, only pics I can think of are my avatar and the TBar video I just posted in the members pic forum.

As for maintenance calories ... eat normally for the next week and record everything in fitday. At the end of the week average your daily totals. If you stayed the same weight (highly likely if you just listen to your appetite), you'll have your maintenance calories.

As for the fat, whole eggs are fine unless your doc has specifically told you to lower your dietary cholesterol. For most of us, being active and eating a balanced diet is enough to keep our cholesterol in check and dietary intake has very little effect on it.

You could also look into supplementing with fish oil or flax oil. For now though, just worry about finding your maintenance calories and adjusting from there. I think your food choices are fine and you can tweak them later. Small changes are easier to stick with versus changing everything at once. ;)

Built
11-06-2005, 04:04 PM
I not only agree with Anthony about the fat recommendation, but I'll offer up that my formerly-high cholesterol came DOWN when I started eating more fat (including egg yolks and butter) and less starch.

Healthy fats are good for endocrine support and caloric ballast, and natural saturated animal fat is good for test production in particular.

A better approach than thinking of your macronutrients as ratios of total calories is to think of them as LBM-dependent doses. In this regard, fats at 0.5g/lb LBM or higher, and protein at 1.0g/lb LBM or higher are appropriate starting points. Target your carbs around your lifts and you'll obtain the most benefit from them.

juth1685
11-07-2005, 10:11 AM
so ive tweaked my diet per your advice guys, and its my first day sticking with it... damn its hard to pack all taht food for work, and eating so much at breakfast is really new to me, haha...anyway, thanks alot and wish me luck...