PDA

View Full Version : Oats and Whey Question

gator
11-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Since I'm striving to increase my calorie and protein intake and I'm going to be bulking up soon, I read many threads in here on oats and I'm thinking of replacing them with cereal. I've heard a lot of people say they are putting some whey with their oatmeal, If whey is a quick processing protein, what would be the benefit of taking it not right after or before a workout?

Nongan
11-06-2005, 07:22 PM
your muscles are being broken down when you work out, when your not working out, they are continually repairing themselves, so even in the mornings, the body part you worked out yesterday or the day before may still not be done completely repairing themselves, so the quick acting protein is still good.

gator
11-06-2005, 07:27 PM
oh ok makes sence, it really makes me want my supplements to come in and buy a blender to get this bulkig up started. I used to be discourged by working out because I worked out for 2 years non stop and din't see the gains I wanted, now I realize why...I had 0 knowledge about diets.

LAM
11-06-2005, 08:53 PM
before training to increase the content of amino acids in the pool, which helps to reduce proteolysis during exercise. after to supply the muscles with amino acids to start the recovery process. pre WO nutrition is just as important as post WO nutrition

Unreal
11-06-2005, 09:00 PM
You need protein all the time. Getting some protein in after fasting for 8-10 hours is vital. When you wake up your extremely catabolic and some protein in the morning is good.

That being said, its the overall picture that counts. Your body is constantly breaking stuff down, repairing, etc. You need to constantly give it what it needs.

D Breyer
11-06-2005, 09:04 PM
:withstupi well said

Shao-LiN
11-06-2005, 10:44 PM
Since I'm striving to increase my calorie and protein intake and I'm going to be bulking up soon, I read many threads in here on oats and I'm thinking of replacing them with cereal. I've heard a lot of people say they are putting some whey with their oatmeal, If whey is a quick processing protein, what would be the benefit of taking it not right after or before a workout?

It is true that whey is digested quicker than most other forms of protein, but what makes you think you can't take it any other time than surrounding your workout? Just because it digests quicker? Your body needs protein. It may not be the most ideal at certain times, but as long as you're getting protein is what matters most. People throw whey in with their oatmeal because it helps to flavor it, plus it's an easy way to get extra protein in.