PDA

View Full Version : Flexibility in Strength Training

JustinASU
11-07-2005, 11:04 AM
As I've gotten myself deeper and deeper into strength training/powerlifting over the past year or two I noticed that certain imbalances are quite easy to experience in this sport. Namely inflexibility and muscle imbalances.

I have become quite inflexible over the years and as a result I have seen several serious injuries, one of which I am currently in the midst of, which does not allow me to squat or deadlift. Is there a flexibility regimen that is tailored towards those that practice strength training?

I realize the short answer of this question is simply to "stretch". I like guidelines and previously tested methods. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. If there is an article I missed on elitefts.com or another valuable resource, feel free to throw it at me.

MixmasterNash
11-07-2005, 11:10 AM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=71432
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/dave_tate_story.htm

JustinASU
11-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Nash--I read though the elite article already. It looks like there is to be a continuation. I'm lazy and haven't looked to see if this has been done. Any information on this?

MixmasterNash
11-07-2005, 11:58 AM
PDF only:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/GA-Phase-2.pdf

LMAO:
"From Alwyn to All
I can do a negative with 900lbs in the squat. An explosive negative; very explosive. Rock bottom, too. AC"

MixmasterNash
11-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Justin, it's time for you to start using a smith machine:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=966A190337EE0C98C78C5218A23D3FC4.hydra?id=810548

Sensei
11-07-2005, 10:08 PM
I can't give you definate guidelines, but I seriously suggest you start doing a "dynamic warm-up" before your training sessions. It will take a lot out of you at first, especially if you are inflexible to begin with, but you will get used to it after a few weeks. I think there is a tape by DeFranco that elitefts.com sells and it's probably pretty good.

Chris Doyle (UofIA strength coach) detailed a lot of dynamic warm-up movements in his strength camp and many of them were lunges and lunge variations and various calisthenics. I could try to find my notes but I think a lot of them were on another forum that got wiped out - I'll see what I can do...

Edit = Here is a site that gives some information and isn't trying to sell you a video. http://ronjones.org/Coach&Train/ExercisePhotos/BodyWeight/WarmUps/DynamicWarmUp/ If I ever have time to take pics and write something decent up, I will (maybe around Christmas).

I would really recommend you start doing slow-static stretches on your days-off too. It won't hurt your strength and it's just smart, preventative medicine.

SalahG
11-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Neuromuscular re-education saved my football career, I suggest you look in to it.

FortifiedIron
11-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Bands can be utilized very well for this.

Kc

russ
11-13-2005, 08:16 PM
this has helped by flexibility and balance a lot.

Iron Yoga (http://www.ironyoga.com/)

you can get the dvd

Sensei
11-13-2005, 11:19 PM

you can get the dvd

http://www.ironyoga.com/bio.html
That guy is a "Certified Johnny G Spinning Instructor"!!! If that isn't bad-ass, then I don't know what is...

Tank23
11-20-2005, 07:07 AM
Hey Justin, I highly recommend you buy Pavel Tsatsouline's book titled 'Relax Into Stretch'. I"ve got it, and it's fantastic. I've been sticking to a proper stretching routine for about a week and a bit now, and I could do the splits within a few stretching sessions. I'm not yet completely comfortable right at the bottom of the split, still need to work on that, but I think it's awesome that using Pavel's methods have allowed me to achieve this in such a short time frame.

Basically Pavel's thoughts are to cause the muscle to relax hence allowing it to stretch via training of the nervous system and developing strength in the stretched positions, rather than your traditional 'physically stretch the muscle to change it's mechanical properties' school of thought.

Edit: Oh and I'll add that I've had chronic muscle tightness problems for quite a while, and I've been stretching using the traditional approach, but it never seemed to help, I was always still tight even after stretching. Using Pavel's methods I have finally been able to feel 'loose' in the problem muscles.

jack_of_all
11-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Hey Justin, I highly recommend you buy Pavel Tsatsouline's book titled 'Relax Into Stretch'. I"ve got it, and it's fantastic. I've been sticking to a proper stretching routine for about a week and a bit now, and I could do the splits within a few stretching sessions. I'm not yet completely comfortable right at the bottom of the split, still need to work on that, but I think it's awesome that using Pavel's methods have allowed me to achieve this in such a short time frame.

Basically Pavel's thoughts are to cause the muscle to relax hence allowing it to stretch via training of the nervous system and developing strength in the stretched positions, rather than your traditional 'physically stretch the muscle to change it's mechanical properties' school of thought.

Edit: Oh and I'll add that I've had chronic muscle tightness problems for quite a while, and I've been stretching using the traditional approach, but it never seemed to help, I was always still tight even after stretching. Using Pavel's methods I have finally been able to feel 'loose' in the problem muscles.

sounds like PNF stretching. i have always wondered though, if you CNS gets looser, then couldn't you get weaker?

Tank23
11-20-2005, 10:47 PM
sounds like PNF stretching. i have always wondered though, if you CNS gets looser, then couldn't you get weaker?

Yep Pavel's methods encompasses PNF stretching. Pavel didn't actually invent the stuff in his book, he's put together a guide based on techniques from all over the world that he's found to be effective.

i have always wondered though, if you CNS gets looser, then couldn't you get weaker?

What you're doing is fooling the muscle's stretch reflex. By holding a hard contraction in the stretched out position, you develop strength in that position. As opposed to relaxed stretching where you maintain the stretch for a given period of time, with no contraction of the target muscles. So, no you wouldn't get weaker using PNF.

the doc
11-21-2005, 04:48 AM

you can get the dvd

yoga is tremendous couterbalance to strenth training

I notice that my increased muscle size has come with a decreased range of motion. After a year of yoga i am more flexible then when i started training

JustinASU
11-21-2005, 08:28 AM
yoga is tremendous couterbalance to strenth training

I notice that my increased muscle size has come with a decreased range of motion. After a year of yoga i am more flexible then when i started training

Doc - I would feel absolutely silly taking a yoga class at my gym. Is this something that can be self taught via videos?

RickTheDestroyer
11-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Doc - I would feel absolutely silly taking a yoga class at my gym. Is this something that can be self taught via videos?

I am SO going make fun of you for this, although I probably am going to need it as bad as you do.

Deadlifter
11-21-2005, 09:14 AM
I'd highly recommend a well designed warm-up. T-nation.com had a very good article on why and how to warm up.

As for flexibility, Self-myofascial release with a foam roller is your best bet. The piece of foam has worked wonders for me. If you can hook up with an NSCA strength coach, they can help you with your imbalances and flexibility issues.

bdckr
11-21-2005, 09:16 AM
I've heard good comments about Pavel's book, but I use Stretching Scientifically (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0940149451/102-3765221-6153726?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance) by Kurz.

I think it's pretty much the same info, presented just a little differently (none of Pavel's "Comrade" this and "Comrade" that). Lots of theory, and the 4th edition has more practical suggestions for setting up a routine. Big criticism of the previous 3 editions was too much theory and too little practical advice.

RickTheDestroyer
11-21-2005, 10:32 AM
I'd highly recommend a well designed warm-up. T-nation.com had a very good article on why and how to warm up.

As for flexibility, Self-myofascial release with a foam roller is your best bet. The piece of foam has worked wonders for me. If you can hook up with an NSCA strength coach, they can help you with your imbalances and flexibility issues.

Is this the 6" foam roller in the spine warm-up article here on WBB? I've been thinking about that.
I've also started doing the t-mag smith machine warmup, and I've been trying to stretch more. We'll see how things go. I was just picturing Justin's big ass blocking out the sun while he did a down dog or something.

JustinASU
11-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Dude I'm totally gonna wear a leotard too.

Anthony
11-21-2005, 12:18 PM
I just got Pavel's book and plan to read/apply it soon.

the doc
11-21-2005, 12:36 PM
well to an extent, yes. Let me tell you though, most days i was one of the only dudes and my yoga instructor and most of my class were hot-ass women!

JustinASU
11-21-2005, 03:59 PM
I just can't imagine me (250 lb, completely inflexible slob) laying there doing yoga with a bunch of little women. My mere presence would be offensive.

RickTheDestroyer
11-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Make sure that you don't wear deodorant and that your chest hair peeks out over the top of your leotard.

Bohizzle
11-21-2005, 04:42 PM
remember to let out some farts too :) :fart:

Andrew

the doc
11-23-2005, 03:48 PM
I just can't imagine me (250 lb, completely inflexible slob) laying there doing yoga with a bunch of little women. My mere presence would be offensive.
well dude i was in a similar situation (220lb, inflexable) and boy did it pay off. Not only did i gain significant flexability and breathing skills, i got to have hot women bend over all around me! :D

SalahG
12-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Justin- your pain is caused by structural imbalances. I had them too, and they gave me hell this past football season. Besides setting PR's in the Bench Press, benching 455 and squatting 550 I was in constant pain after practice and was not as strong on the field where it matters. I could no longer sink down in my hips because I was so tight, and no longer could I keep balances because my shoulders and upper back were rounded forward. I looked in to it and found a training program that helped me a ton, they are in the process of correcting my imbalances from years and years of training improperly, and I feel so much better. Look in to it.

Tank23
12-12-2005, 04:27 AM
Hey Salah, I'd be interested to know, because I seem to have some imbalance problems, what kind of medical professional would you see for such a problem? I'm thinking a physiotherapist would be able to help?
Just that a few physios I've seen in the past didn't know sh*t about these kinds of things. They had no idea when it came to sports related problems.