PDA

View Full Version : The Long Road

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

JustinASU
11-07-2005, 11:49 AM
I've created a fourth journal because I have absolutely promised myself that it's time to start tracking progress/techniques/lifting theories, so I can understand how my body works and what I need to tweak to make it work better.

I've entitled this journal "The Long Road" for several reasons. First and foremost, I've become quite fond of an anabolic compound we all refer to as 'test'. So fond, in fact, that I've been on for 7.5 months at this point. As many of you know, I went through serious surgery back in March. As a result, I could not eat/lift for weeks and I lost 25+ lbs of mostly muscle. I decided at this point to start treating myself to a steady diet of testosterone, so I could recover as fast as possible. This was not a bad idea to begin with.

I started out weighing in at 215 after the surgery ( down from a previous weight of 240+). I slowly and steadily worked back up to my currently weight, which, as of last night, was 251 lbs. My strength WAS back to normal or above normal so I was feeling pretty good. As soon as I got back from my honeymoon a week ago I tried to deadlift. To my dismay I could barely break 405 without a severe amount of pain. You can see my totals in my sig, so 405 should be light weight. I've yet to go to a doc, but suffice to say, I cant deadlift or squat for a while.

Back to the point. I promised my wife, on our wedding night, that I would get anabolics out of my life. Considering I've done 3 cycles since starting in January 2004 and now, it's going to be a long and scarey process.

So you can see the point I am at. I will be dropping my 7+ month cycle soon, and I am seriously injured. This is going to make for some strength/muscle loss, that amount, is yet to be determined. That depends on how I handle recovery in both aspects (injury and anabolics).

At this point, my plan is to run through my remaining supply of test and recover from my injury (whatever it may be). Once this is done, I drop the cycle and start the long/depressing road to natural training (the phrase makes me cringe).

Keeping all this in mind, here goes.

Just wanted to document the last two workouts. Nothing spectacular, trying to go easy on my back/legs. No squats/dealifts/anything that requires bending down or picking anything up.

Legs 11/05
Leg Press (plate=45 lbs)
6 platesx12
8 platesx12
10 platesx12
12 platesx12
14 platesx10
16 platesx8
18 platesx8
20 platesx6
22 platesx4
22 platesx4
22 platesx4

Seated OHP
135x8
155x5
185x3
185x3
185x3

HS Hammie curls
100 lbs per sidex12 for 2 sets

DB Shrugs
85x12
95x12
110x10
115x10 for 5 sets

Upper 11/6
Bench Press
135x10
185x8
225x5
265x5
265x5
265x5
265x5
265x5

Narrow Grip parallel lat pulldowns
130x12
150x10
170x10
170x10
170x10

Tricep Pulldowns
100x10 for 4 sets

Criticisms welcome.

I may have go go ahead and shell out the money to see a doc about my back. No real problems with the above movements, as I left out lower back altogether.

Pup
11-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Good luck with the journey Justin...it's never easy to give up something chemical that gives you a psychological/physical edge. Everyone here will be there to support you when it gets tough.

Coke
11-07-2005, 12:25 PM
You have a tendency to surprise or even shock at times - congrats on your recent marriage, wish you all the best in the years ahead. Glad to see you take on a project such as this. The long road ahead should not be a winding one, for there is no doubt you will always be one of the bigger guys around natural or not.

briancurran01
11-07-2005, 12:29 PM
good luck Justin. Looking at your journals...your strength has always been impressive..especially your leg strength.

Isaac Wilkins
11-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Good luck, skinny. I am/have faced many of the same issues you're going through. Shoot me a line and we'll keep chatting about it.

M.J.H.
11-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Good luck pulling 675 man! :thumbup:

cphafner
11-07-2005, 07:29 PM
great another big strong mofo starts a journal...hope all is well. I'll be down to SC in a few months.

Focused70
11-07-2005, 08:18 PM
So the rumors of you and Space Ghost holding hands on a beach weren't true, I see.

Have some :spam: btw.

JustinASU
11-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Pup You better believe I will be leaning on WBB members when I'm a whiney little girl with no testosterone.

CoCoa Thanks on the congrats. I'm having my doubts as to the bigger guy thing. If I don't handle my recovery like it's a precise science, I may drop a scarey amount of weight.

Brian Thanks mang.

Isaac I need to hit you up and talk about recovery sometime...

\/ENOM errr yeah. I'm sure that's possible with a serious back injury. :rolleyes:

Connor Strong? eh...not so much at the moment. Coming to visit in SC? What's the occasion? I'm guessing Will's wedding?

Soba I only wish!

Comments aside, I decided last night to try a light rehabilitation workout for my lower back. I figure, its gotta be weaker than hell at this point. I opted for some light, high rep (in my mind anyway) work to see how the pain was coming along.

11/8

Box Squats
135x10
185x8
225x5
225x5
225x10
225x10

Good Mornings
135x10 for 5 sets

Leg Press
10 platesx12
12 platesx10
14 platesx10
16 platesx8
18 platesx6
22 platesx4

DB shrugs
110x12
110x15
110x15

Also did some light ab work. I'm wondering if the whole reason for the back injury in the first place was some kind of imbalance between my abs and spinal erectors/lower back. I do no direct ab work even though Westside, and most strength programs advocate it. I also tend to overcompensate with my lower back on movements such as squats. I know I have strong abs, but I am worried they don't compare to my lower back strength. I think I will stick to box squats for both ME and DE days (I use those terms lightly) from here out and see if that helps me with my form. Any input on this topic is appreciated.

SpecialK
11-09-2005, 08:44 AM
7.5 Months?? Wow, that's a long cycle. Don't you start to see diminishing returns after awhile? Also how long of a PCT will it take to recover from that? In any case, good luck with the new journal and training natty. :thumbup:

M.J.H.
11-09-2005, 01:00 PM
Wow your leg press strength is nuts man, hows your ROM on those?

lilmase1153
11-09-2005, 01:11 PM
How did your lower back feel after the squats and 5 sets of GMs?

You know hatred was saying the thing When his back got hurt about maybe there being an imbalance between abs and lower back. It seems his #s went back up, maybe you should see what he did to correct it..

WillKuenzel
11-09-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm going to come across as kind of an ass in this post but I want to put it out here, so you'll see and see it again.

Come off the sauce now. I don't mean when you finish the thing, or until this or that gets better. NOW. You're doing nothing but prolonging it. If you have some left, let me have it. You need to come off, now. Oh yeah, did I mention, you need to come off. When? NOW! dammit

If you are having serious back trouble, quit squatting. Now. If someone says light leg press, that means, no more than 4 plates per side. You need to let your body heal. All you are doing, is pushing it deeper and deeper into that hole that you've dug for yourself. REST is your friend. A friend that you have seriously neglected for the sake of what? Your squat has gone down, you can barely deadlift, and your bench really isn't going anywhere. All this stems from overtraining. You are not letting your body heal. You're not listening to your body and Justin, its screaming at you. You've got alot of changes to make and you're not helping yourself by ignoring all the signs.

You're my friend and I wouldn't be such a tool about this if I didn't feel this strongly. You need to leave the test alone. Starting today! You need much more rest now than ever. This is one of those times that you are just going to have let go. Especially if you want to continue to do any type of lifting later in life. Dude, you are doing nothing at this point but hurting yourself by continuing to push your already destroyed body.

You are going to have to take a step back (hell even maybe 2 steps back) to take a step forward. I'm going to start calling you and harassing you until you listening to Isaac or myself. Justin, you are strong as hell but without the rest at the moment, you are seriously going to just give yourself more problems.

Again, I'm not meaning to come across as a a complete jackass on this but I think its what you really need to get past all these problems. I want to help. You're a smart guy and know what you have to do but like the rest of us that are seriously dedicated to this, you are just a bit stubborn (maybe "a bit" is an understatement ;) ). Please, please, listen.

cphafner
11-09-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm going to come across as kind of an ass in this post but I want to put it out here, so you'll see and see it again.

Come off the sauce now. I don't mean when you finish the thing, or until this or that gets better. NOW. You're doing nothing but prolonging it. If you have some left, let me have it. You need to come off, now. Oh yeah, did I mention, you need to come off. When? NOW! dammit

If you are having serious back trouble, quit squatting. Now. If someone says light leg press, that means, no more than 4 plates per side. You need to let your body heal. All you are doing, is pushing it deeper and deeper into that hole that you've dug for yourself. REST is your friend. A friend that you have seriously neglected for the sake of what? Your squat has gone down, you can barely deadlift, and your bench really isn't going anywhere. All this stems from overtraining. You are not letting your body heal. You're not listening to your body and Justin, its screaming at you. You've got alot of changes to make and you're not helping yourself by ignoring all the signs.

You're my friend and I wouldn't be such a tool about this if I didn't feel this strongly. You need to leave the test alone. Starting today! You need much more rest now than ever. This is one of those times that you are just going to have let go. Especially if you want to continue to do any type of lifting later in life. Dude, you are doing nothing at this point but hurting yourself by continuing to push your already destroyed body.

You are going to have to take a step back (hell even maybe 2 steps back) to take a step forward. I'm going to start calling you and harassing you until you listening to Isaac or myself. Justin, you are strong as hell but without the rest at the moment, you are seriously going to just give yourself more problems.

Again, I'm not meaning to come across as a a complete jackass on this but I think its what you really need to get past all these problems. I want to help. You're a smart guy and know what you have to do but like the rest of us that are seriously dedicated to this, you are just a bit stubborn (maybe "a bit" is an understatement ;) ). Please, please, listen.

Yeah give the sauce to Will, so he can give it to me :strong:

BigMatt
11-11-2005, 11:42 PM

You should listen to those wise words...
Ive been in this game before,your overtraining,your body is giving you a signal it Need Rest NOW.

Stop lifting completly,take time off.

dw06wu
11-12-2005, 12:18 AM
I know I have strong abs, but I am worried they don't compare to my lower back strength.
Dude, you deadlifted 675 and you don't do direct ab work. I don't care how strong your abs are, there is an imbalance there.

RickTheDestroyer
11-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Well Bro,
I don't know what to say- well yeah I do- listen to Will, he's a smart boy and he's completely right.

Don't use the rest of what you've got, get with the PCT and come off for at least a year. I mean really.

You are a big ****ing strong mofo, and were already big and strong before teh joose. You're really not doing yourself any favors by staying on and pushing yourself. I know you well, and I know that you're perfectly willing to push yourself even when you're hurting like a mother****, and you need to not do this. Give yourself a damn rest. I know you're worried about losing size and strength, and rightly so- you will lose size and strength, but you're going to cripple yourself in the long run if you don't ease up for awhile. I can picture what your life you be like if you could never lift again, and I tell you brother it ain't ****ing pretty.

Step down the workouts, work on some flexibility, keep it light, and take care of yourself. Stop going to failure on every work set (don't act like you don't do this tuttut I know you don't do this for legs, but you're still screwing up your recovery). Eat more and sleep more. It looks like you've upped your reps a little bit- keep it that way for a while. You've mangled your body and I'm sure your CNS is fried, too. Just go real easy for a few weeks and then work back into it but be gentle on yourself man, pull your frequency and volume down some. I know it sucks but it's really not worth permanently screwing yourself.

I know this **** is going to suck hardcore for you for awhile, and that coming off is going to make you :cry: like a baby- don't hesistate to call me bro. Hell, you should come on up and visit and lift with me and you'll get a reminder of what small and weak is. Just remember, you've got a lot of people who'll give you nothing but love and support right now, so don't hesitate to lean on us.

JustinASU
11-14-2005, 10:08 AM
I would like to take the time to apologize for the pathetic lack of updates.

Special K Yeah about 7 months even thus far. Not the longest cycle I've heard of, but certainly too long. There are absolutely dimishing returns, but there have been some wonderful benefits to being on at the same time. I'm sure my PCT will take several months. I plan on running clomid/nolva for quite a while and aside from that, during the weeks before I start my clomid, HCG will be my best friend.

\/enom ROM is slightly below parallel. Thanks.

mase It felt fried after the GMs but not painful.

Will I have mixed feelings about several things you posted, but I understand that it's solid advice. You know, based on what you and I talked about, that I absolutely agree I've been on too long, and I'm not even benefiting from the gear at this point, I'm simply maintaining. PCT will be starting very soon, I promise you that.

So far as overtraining goes...I thought the same, and I still do--to an extent. I do not think I'd benefit from dropping lifting for a period of time, as I've already decreased volume and frequency, and I plan on keeping the reps above 5 for the most part at this point. I've actually begun to see quite a difference already. I still have my shoulder pains, lower back pains, etc. but they've decreased significantly. My back feels better, and though it's not healed, I'm capable of some light squatting. I've actually begun gaining bodyweight again, which is something I haven't seen for months. I will continue backing off on the volume and frequency, and focusing on flexibility and endurance, especially in reference to my lower back.

You know I look at your training advice like it's gold, so I'm taking it very seriously. At the same time though, I feel like dropping lifting altogether for a time may not be the best idea. When you say I will have to take two steps back...do you seriously feel that I will be losing mass/strength to any significant degree? If my diet and PCT are dialed in right, I hope to only drop 10-15 lbs. Is this realistic? All the same, thanks for the very blunt posting.

CP Pshh, if I don't use it, I'm hording it. :evillaugh

BigMatt Refer to my response for Will. I'm backing off, but dropping it altogether is something I'm not willing to do.

dw06wu I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. Deadlifting involves core strength heavily.

Rick t3h destr0yer Thanks for the advice and compliments mang. I know you truely mean it. I AM listening to Will, so no worries. I plan on keeping my reps above 5, as I mentioned and I already shared with you my next routine. It focuses on decreaed volume/frequency and not battering my body unmercifully.

I fully intend to come up and visit so we can lift in your garage. In fact, Laura and I are comtemplating a move to Chapel Hill at the end of next year, so you may in fact gain a lifting partner again. In the meantime, I'll be in Charleston, seeing if my body will recover, and getting weaker and smaller in the process. I'm sure you'll close the gap between you and I in no time, with the progress you're making at this point. I'll talk to you more later on all this **** though.

OKAY...So I'm probably either going to be flamed or ignored based on the following workouts I'm posting, but I'm stubborn. For the most part, however, my body is feeling a little better and I think it's dragging itself into a recovery phase.

Thursday 11/10 - DE Upper
Speed Bench
135x10
165x3x3 using three different grips

Weighted Pull-ups
BWx8
+25x6
+35x4 for 3 sets
+45x3 for 2 sets

One Arm DB Bench
70x12
85x10
95x8
100x6

Seated CG cable rows
180x10
195x10
210x10
225x8

Sunday 11/13 - Full Body
**I didn't have a spotter today so I didn't push it

Parallel Squat - Please don't hate me for these...
135x10
185x8
225x6
275x5
315x5 for 2 sets
**I felt little to no pain (in the bad sense of the word) on these, but my back tightened up like there were cables being run through it. I need to work on lower back endurance.

BB Bench
135x10
185x8
225x6
275x4 for 5 sets
225x10

Weighted Pull ups
BWx10
+25x6
+35x4 for 3 sets

Tricep Pulldowns
125x10
140x10
170x10
195x8

Coke
11-14-2005, 10:29 AM
You did receive some good advice and may very well adhere to it, but I'm also aware that no matter what you will do whatsoever you damn please, lol - :D...more seriously though, I have a friend who just completed a cycle and only lost 5lbs when all was said and done through properly using hcg and eating right. The whole pct should work well man.

MM
11-14-2005, 10:32 AM
It sounds to me that HY is just worried that if you don't get off now, you might be tempted to stay on later. But hey, as long as you know you're going to get off, you'll probably be fine.

But hey, then again, I know as much about steriods and Michael Jackson knows about cunnilingus. I do know that you should definitely not give steriods to Connor. There's no reason that I should have start seeing the terms "600 pounds" and "deadlift" together in his journal.

Workouts look good. I know what you mean about the difference between tightness and pain; the past four weeks of my journal read like a professional dissertation on the difference between the two.

WillKuenzel
11-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Dude, you're a good friend and you know I'm just trying to help. I'm not saying you need to take a long time off. But a full week or so would do you wonders. If even that's too much. Do 45 minutes of cardio and then about 30 minutes of hardcore stretching. Your flexibility really needs to come back up to par.

By staying on this long, you are making your recovery that much harder. Even if everything is spot on, you are only prolonging the recovery and you are going to lose that much more. You have a bad case of body-dismorphia and worry about your strength way too much when its your health you should be more worried about. Will you be able to bend over and pick up your kids? Will you be able to run? Granted those are some worse case scenarios but take a look at the Gluteal Amnesia articles on elitefts. Read what kind of trouble even Dave Tate is in and what he is forced to do now to overcome it.

I'm trying to help while there is plenty of time.

Its time to start thinking about functional strength. Sure you have some huge lifts but can you make any of that carry over? How is your endurance? Think about the cardio and stretching for just a little while. Keep your reps above 6. I know you like heavy ****, we all do but think about converting your strength over to body weight strength. How many times can you bench press your body weight? How many times can you squat or deadlift your bodyweight? Think about doing some high rep good mornings, standing military press, hyper extensions and lunges.

I know its tough changing workout routines but it needs to be done. You're strong but you can get stronger even if you do lose some size. You can get stronger pound for pound. Don't think about your overall strength. I've benched more and squatted more but not pound for pound. I'm stronger now, pound for pound, than ever. This is after a year off. Learn how to lift with what you've gained and go from there. You've put on a lot of size and strength and you need to relearn how to lift naturally. Especially since your receptors are completely saturated and whatever doses of test your are doing now are pretty pointless. Save what you have left for the next time (which had better be in no less time than a year).

Again, I'm not trying to be an ass but you have to relearn what you need to do with what you have. When you change that much, everything you do needs to change. Do the pro's lift like they did when they first started? No. Take the time to step back and evaluate really where you are and where you want to go.

JustinASU
11-15-2005, 01:40 PM
CoCoa Hey mang. I realize it's good advice, but who would I be if I didn't twist it to my own evil purposes, and further **** myself up?

MM Perhaps I need to take a look through your journal if you had a similar experience. I'm looking for help/advice on this injury from where ever I can get it.

Will I realize that you only reacted that way because you care, mang. No worries. So far as flexibilty/conditioning go, I think I'm going to be incorporating one day per week devoted to this issue. I'd like to speak further with you, possibly in a PM, or even in person regarding some different tecniques I can incorporate into this dedicated day. I know many times in the past you've tired to get me into some GPP type stuff, but I typically neglect them when I'm not lifting with you.

Here's something that's been on my mind regarding long cycles. Obviously my receptors are trashed because I've been on too long and I'm not doing anything but maintaining at this point. Why should recovery be any harder on a long cycle versus a regular length cycle? Both cycles shut you down-hard. It's not like my body is going on memory for producing testosterone. Basically, if I take away the external test and start introducing natty test producing chemicals to my body--why would a normal or long cycle matter? Of course, on a longer cycle the health risks and sides increase, but aside from that, recovery shouldn't be too much mroe difficult, unless I'm missing some huge concept.

Regarding real world strength. How would you suggest I begin training for this? I figured the dealift and squat would carry over directly to real world strength, but perhaps I am mistaken. It is worthwhile working with bodyweight lifts on the big three? Should I simply focus on variety in my training at this point, and not Westside methods/big three so much? I do realize my pound for pound strength is pathetic. Most lifters at my weight are pushing 400-500+ easy, which, as you know, is my huge weakness. Any insights and suggestions here would be awesome. Perhaps we should further discuss it in person.

I have much more to asy, but I'll keep it for later.

I feel like **** today. I've had a headache for about 2 weeks, and I've been nauseated quite regularly. i'm not sure what is up. I'm convinced I'd have to be on my deathbed before seeing a doc.

Tonight I think I'll just do some GPP and light lifting full body type deal. I don't think my body can handle heavy for a while...

lilmase1153
11-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Damn justin you have a great friend in HY... I'm sure you already know and acknowledge this, But mayeb thinking about the future and where your health will be when/if you have kids will be may help put it more into perspective. You dont wanna be the one having to sit and watch your kids play jsut cause it hurts to stand/walk.

You are one big strong MoFo, Maybe you can start up BBing and see where that takes you.. Sorry if this post sounds like all the others but it just seems like your still really apprehensive to all of whats being said.. Good luck big guy

Ironminded
11-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Justin-
I don't know you at all but thought I would throw in my .02 worth on somthing HomeYeild suggested, that being real-world strength. I will try to keep most of my examples to the Deadlift, but things might also look to the squat and bench.

You said that you thought Dl and Squat should be a direct carry over into real-world strenght, and while Dl'ing does help one lift things in life, there is not perfect carry over. The things one has to lift in a job or while moving arn't shaped to be lifted, they don't have handles and have really strange centers of gravity. I have found this to be true in some of the meanial labor jobs I have had over the years. While I can currently Dl well over 300 pounds, picking up some of the 150 pound things I encounter in my job is still difficult due to strange shapes and balence issues. I used to be much stronger then this in the Dl, and still found tossing around 170 pound three string bales of feed for livestock a challenge. Also, while at one point I could Dl 450, picking up a 270 pound Railroad Tie was still near impossible.

If real-world strength is something that you would like I would try some odd-object lifting, sand-bags, RR ties, logs, that kind of thing. While the weights will not be that of your big three in the gym, lifting a huge log off the ground still looks cool and is a ton of fun. Lifting strange things with out handles, such as sand-bags, can do wonders for your grip, and your core as you are forced to stablize yourself and the object through its weird center of gravity. Finding ways to wreastle up a RR tie or log likewise works a ton of different muscles, not just your low back or legs.

Even just pushing a car around a parking lot can give one a great workout. Again strengthening not just your legs and hip structure but your back and core. The great thing about pushing something like a car is that the risk should be really low, if you can't push it it won't fall on you or blow out your back. This would also build endurance and oxygen-up-take capacity. Another fun aspect is to do this with a friend, and when it gets to easy, have them touch the brakes a hair, makes it more like a competition.

Basicly real-world strength training could, if you wanted it to, look a lot like working on a strongest-man training regime, farmers walk, odd-object lifting [kegs, barrels, logs], pushing excercises [cars, trucks]. Stuff like this can be really fun, and all you need to do is pick what you want to work on and get started.

JustinASU
11-15-2005, 03:00 PM
I'll respond later to the replies.

Upon further review of my health/mental state, I will be taking 5 days off from the gym. It kills me to do so, but I feel nauseated, lethargic, and I gave a brain splitting headache. Something is wrong.

galileo
11-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Justin, many pieces of excellent advice had been offered to you. I wish I had caught this journal earlier so our outside conversations would have been more meaningful. I'm glad you're taking some time off to get things straightened out. I'll hit you up on AIM later, I'd really like to talk to you about some things.

Take care of yourself.

MM
11-16-2005, 11:28 AM
MM Perhaps I need to take a look through your journal if you had a similar experience. I'm looking for help/advice on this injury from where ever I can get it.

If you did look through my journal, you'll see that we had a similar reaction to the injury: when I first hurt my back, I kept lifting. About a week and a half later, I rather severely injured it attempting to 3plates on the tbar, which had never been an issue for me. I was cruising along on rep number 8 and boom, I was done. I had too take a week off then -- there was nothing I could do about it. Getting in and out of my car was horrible, putting pants on was horrible, I had to ask my friend to tie my shoes. Menthol patches helped dull the pain, as did painkillers. It's still not completely better now, but it has repaired itself significantly. Oddly enough, I find squats to be the culprit -- not deadlifts.

Hope everything works out for you. Good choice on taking a little break.

JustinASU
11-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Sorry for not replying/updating...

Xian - We'll talk soon mang.

QUICK UPDATE:

Took the week off, lifted saturday. Here's a quick and dirty rundown:

Swiss ball Dumbell Bench (back on swiss ball, torso/legs forming the rest of the bench)
70'sx10
85'sx10
100'sx8
115'sx6
125'sx5
135'sx3

Yate's Grip T-bars
***Went easy on these because of the lower back***
2 platesx12
3 platesx12
3plates+25x8 for 3 sets

CGBP (hands touching)
135x12
185x8
205x6 for 3 sets

parallel grip pulldowns
***forgot to record weight on these, but I kept the reps above 8

I'll update more thoroughly soon. Thanks for reading, and all the amazing advice.

lilmase1153
11-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Damn this is more reps in one w/o than I've seen in a weeks worth of your old w/os..

Keep it up Jman

JustinASU
11-22-2005, 07:31 AM
Mase Yeah serisouly. I'm always out of breath. Pisses me off.

I tried squatting a bit heavier yesterday...

Box Squats
135x12
225x10
315x10
365x6
365x6
365x6

***I am somehow favoring my right side and I cannot figure out how. When I was done with these sets, my lower left back felt great, but the right side felt like knives of death. I need to have someone critique my form on these. Otherwise, the squats felt fine

DB Shrugs
90x15
100x15
100x15
100x15

Situps on decline bench with a 25 lb plate behind head
4 sets of 10 reps

***These actually helped my back feel better. I wonder if it really IS the imbalance between my ab and lower back strength that's killing me.

WillKuenzel
11-23-2005, 10:11 AM
Dude, until we work out your squat and box squat form, you shouldn't be going over 275, hell even 225. You're going to make the recovery road that much harder. Lets start thinking about a Saturday and Sunday meet up. I'll be back Friday at the latest. Hell, lets look at going to the gym 3 days in a row and see how you are feeling. We'll get Isaac out when we get the chance.

You don't have to spend 2 hours in the gym, balls to the wall each and every time you get in the gym. You're doing better, lets continue that.

I know some of the things you are going to have to do will seem very alien to you but it'll be worth it in the long run. Trust me, I mentioned some of these things in the last PM I sent you, but I know where you are coming from. I've been there. Like I mentioned, its taking me about a year to fully recover and start to progress. Its hell, but it'll turn around and be worth it in the end.

I would like to start seeing you do about 20 minutes of cardio to warm up, followed by 2 or 3 sets of bodyweight hyperextensions, a few more lighter workouts, and finished up with some abs and a bit more cardio. Check out some periodization for athletes and powerlifters. There is always that off phase where the body has to recover. Then there is the building and then the peaking phase. These are very broad macro-phases but necessary.

Let me know what your plans are and lets get together soon. I know, I'm constantly coming across as an ******* here but I'm sincerely trying to help.

WBBIRL
11-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Isnt clomid a fertility drug???

rookiebldr
11-24-2005, 06:58 PM
hey Justin, Sorry I didn't get a chance to see you when I was in the area. We'll definitely make it the next time. It would have been great to give you my congrats in person and just see you once again. We'll definitely do it next time I'm in town. Oh, and listen up to homie and Isaac, I know I'd be getting them to make me a lot bigger if I was around there. I'm even doing good mornings now 'cause of Isaac.

JustinASU
11-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Will I dont have to say much in response to this, except, you aren't coming across as an *******. Your advice and what you did for me today are helping me more than I could ever help myself. Thanks for giving me direction and knowledge to work with through this ordeal.

WBBIRL Yes. And it's used to recover from a steriod cycle.

Jeffy Yeah dude, its been almost 2 years. We gotta lift together! I can't believe you're doing good mornings now-- something I just picked up this year myself. Such a wonderfully painful lift :evillaugh

WOW. That's all I have to say. My body is thanking me right now. I don't feel particularly big and strong; in fact, I'm probably weaker and smaller than I've been since the recovery from, my surgery earlier this year. The fact of the matter is, I feel at ease for once. Will agreed to meet my pathetic ass in the gym today to help me along in the injury recovery phase. It was the most enlightening workout I've had in years. We worked with light weights on a circuit and did some stretching. Doesn't sound too revolutionary, but for my body--it was. These are things I've been neglecting for quite some time, and my body is much worse for the wear. Hell, I didn't even know how to stretch. All I knew was to get strong I had to lift heavy. No one ever said anything about flexibilty or stamina. All the same, I'll post the workout I did on Wednesday, and then I'll post today's.

WEDNESDAY
BB Bench
135x10
185x8
225x6
275x4 for 3 sets
225x10

Weighted Pullups
BWx8
BWx8
BW+25x6 for 5 sets

Weighted dips
BW+35x10 for 4 sets

TODAY - light stretching and lifting
Basically all lifts were done in a circuit one after the other. We were focusing on form and flexibility today. In between sets I used the foam roller and spread eagle situps to help my back recover from tightening up.

Good Mornings
**Will pointed out that I needed to spread my upper legs more as I went down and keep my head up. This was the focus of this lift.
barx12-15
95x10
135x10 for several sets and back down to 115x10

BB Bench
** I had trouble here because I wasn't quite pulling my traps together as much as I was spreading my shoulder blades apart. I also was not staying as tight as I should and I was using a much more narrow grip than I needed to.
barx10-12
95x10
135x10 for several sets

Pullups (mixing grips)
**These suprised me. Apparently, I use very little lat engagement for these and tend to overcompensate with my biceps. We worked on tryin to engage my lats with little success. Something is wrong here.
All body weight around 5-6 reps

Squats
**Tried something I never have - high bar Oly squats. Struggled a little with keeping the bar high enough and keeping my grip narrow, but these felt good. Didn't use more than 95 lbs for now.

Today was a rediculously humbling experience. The end of the workout was supplemented with 15 painful minutes of stretching, where I found out just how not flexibile I really am. The end result was that I walked out of the gym, my body feeling loose and relaxed, which has never happened before.

MM
11-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Sweet man. It almost sounds like we have a similar problem in regards to (a) how we lift and (b) what it's done to our bodies, though it seems much more severe for you. I don't stretch or anything either... I just lift really heavy, which has taken a toll on my lower back. I'm probably going to try to incorporate some cardio into my routine; I don't really know how to stretch either, other than the few stretches I do inbetween sets. Glad to see that you're on the right track.

RickTheDestroyer
11-25-2005, 11:47 PM
Loose and relaxed? You?
NEVER!

Seriously though, I'm glad to hear that things are working out better, Big Ass.
I'ma get you to learn me some of this stuff sos I don' screw my back up too.
Yay for inflexibility!

JustinASU
11-27-2005, 06:06 PM
From here 'till an indefinite point in time, I will be keeping reps in the range of 8-10 and keeping the weight light. This really kills me.

TODAY:

Warmed up with light GMs (20 reps)

DB Bench on Swiss Ball
55x10
70x10
85x10
95x10 for 3 sets
75x10

Yate's Grip T-bar rows
2 platesx12
3 platesx10 for 3 sets

CGBP, hands 3 inches apart
135x12
185x10 for 4 sets

Seated parallel grip cable rows
180x10
210x10 for 4 sets

High Pulls
100x12 for 3 sets
115x10 for 2 sets

PG Pullups
BWx6 for 2 sets

***Followed by 15 minutes of stretching, spread eagle situps, and foam back roller

MixmasterNash
11-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Wow, this is exactly like the Tate/Cosgrove saga.

I'm glad will is kicking your ass, because box squats strike me as the absoutely worst thing imaginable for you. The high bar squats are much better, and front squats would be better still. And yes, work the abs. I had the same back/abs imbalance.

-TIM-
11-27-2005, 09:48 PM
Just skimmed through your journal and everything caught my eye. I've had a few severe back injuries that required months of therapy in the past. As a result, I had to stay out of the gym and then slowly work back into it. I don't claim to know exactly how you feel, but I can relate. It really messes with your mind to be out of the gym, or running at half speed when you're there. I really hope things start to turn around for you and your body starts to heal itself. It sounds like you know what you need to do, which is to rest, and ease back into it. Good luck Justin.

JustinASU
11-28-2005, 09:54 PM
Nash Yeah, I continually get references about gluteal amnesia from Will. lol High Bar Oly's are quite a painful lift when you consider I'm used to a powerlifting style squat. Especially considering squats above 5 reps a set were unheard of until now and I can't go below 10 reps.

Tim It's good to hear you can relate somewhat. It's like a nightmare in the gym. I'm working my ass off, but I'm not lifting heavy, nor am I gaining strength/size. I feel tiny and weak, but I know this is a necessary evil...

Tonight
*Worked legs lightly with some volume. I originally planned on hitting Oly squats and GMs, but my lower back couldn't take the volume.

Olympic High Bar Squats (ATF)
barx15
135x10
185x10
210x10 for 3 sets
*I was constantly using the back roller and running sets of spread eagle situps to get rid of the lower back tightness. It was not helping as much tonight.

Glute Ham Raises
BWx9
BWx9
BWx8
BWx8
BWx7
*These are still very new to me, and my quads far outshine my hams.

I added in 15 minutes of stretching at the end. My hips have been very sore as of late. They're not taking to this whole flexibility thing too well. The foam back roller was particularly painful tonight...

harv
11-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Hey - just wanted to tip my hat to you becasue I REALLY respect what you are doing. ou know you have a tough road in front of you but you are making a wise decision IMHO...hope it goes well for you.

lilmase1153
11-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Hey - just wanted to tip my hat to you becasue I REALLY respect what you are doing. ou know you have a tough road in front of you but you are making a wise decision IMHO...hope it goes well for you.
Could not have said it better myself..

Your doing great Justin, who knows maybe you might switch to BBing :D

WillKuenzel
11-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Olympic High Bar Squats (ATF)[/B]
barx15
135x10
185x10
210x10 for 3 sets
*I was constantly using the back roller and running sets of spread eagle situps to get rid of the lower back tightness. It was not helping as much tonight.

Glute Ham Raises
BWx9
BWx9
BWx8
BWx8
BWx7
*These are still very new to me, and my quads far outshine my hams.

I added in 15 minutes of stretching at the end. My hips have been very sore as of late. They're not taking to this whole flexibility thing too well. The foam back roller was particularly painful tonight...
I don't see any high rep warm up. You're going to have to spend more time warming up. Start with the GHR's to start with. Even some light GM's and hyper extensions. Work those abs in between as well.

MM
11-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Wow, this is exactly like the Tate/Cosgrove saga.

What's the "Tate/Cosgrove" saga?

JustinASU
12-02-2005, 05:25 PM
harv Thanks bro. Your support helps.

Mase No thanks, I'm not gay ;)

Will I don't post everything I've done. You're right about the warmup--I didn't do that. Though I do utilize the foam back roller and spread eagle situps in between sets to loosen my back.

MM I can't find the link now, but if you do a search for Gluteal Amnesia, I'm sure you'll locate the link to the article.

Light lifting/stretching
**All lifts were run in a circuit. In between sets I used the foam roller and did sets of spread eagle situps.
GMs
barx20
135x10 for 5 sets

Speed Bench
barx15
135x10 for 5 sets
**form is really coming along on these. Or at least that's what I think until I workout with Will again.

OH Pullups
**really focusing on pulling with my lats, so these were more partials to practice recruitinmg the right muscles...
BWx6 for 5 sets

**Finished up with 15 minutes stretching

Upper Day

BB Bench
barx10
135x12
185x10
225x10 for 6 sets

BB Rows
barx10
135x10
185x10
205x10
225x10 for 3 sets

Incline DB press
75x10 for 5 sets
**Right shoulder was killing on these

CG Pulldowns
160x10 for 4 sets

**Followed by 15 minutes of stretching

Thursday was my bday so the gym was skipped for Japanese food and sake.

Today I feel like hell warmed over and I havent hardly eaten. So suffice to say--no gym. I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night this week. Bleh.

RickTheDestroyer
12-03-2005, 02:05 PM
You need more sleep.
I'm glad you got tore up on your birthday, though.

Keep up with this stuff and you'll be fine. Keep me posted with the flexibility stuff, as you know what's going on with my LB these days.

Maybe you SHOULD start BBing. ;)

-TIM-
12-03-2005, 02:46 PM
You're workouts are looking good. Not overdoing it, but keeping at it.

JustinASU
12-04-2005, 11:12 PM
Circuit Work

Same as the other circuit days, for the most part. Warmed up with the bar/light weights/GHRs and ran this circuit:

Good Mornings (sets of 10)
Speed Bench (sets of 10)
OH pullups (sets of 5-6)

**Did this for 6 rounds.

In between sets I used the foam roller. Also:

DB Shrugs
75x12
90x10
115x10 for 3 sets

High Pulls
100x10 for 4 sets

TODAY - Legs

Narrow Stance High Bar Oly squats
barx20
135x10
185x10
225x10 for 5 sets

GHRs
BWx10 for 3 sets

*also several sets of spread eagle situps

Whats was strange is, I am really starting to enjoy this workout. It's relaxing, and I walk out of the gym feeling calm and loose.

heathj
12-04-2005, 11:15 PM
wow strength is looking excellent man!

how do you get the 135 lb. dumbbells up to your chest on swiss ball bench? I can get the 95's up, but I think it'd be a lot easier if someone helped me.

JustinASU
12-05-2005, 08:12 AM
wow strength is looking excellent man!

how do you get the 135 lb. dumbbells up to your chest on swiss ball bench? I can get the 95's up, but I think it'd be a lot easier if someone helped me.

I'll try to describe. As you go to sit down on the ball, throw the DBs in front of you and rest them on your quads. Sit down on the ball. When you go to bench, roll back and rest the DBs on your shoulders. When the ball is centered in your back and your legs are positioned, push.

JustinASU
12-06-2005, 04:22 PM
I was not so well yesterday so I skipped my upper body. That will be done tonight. LATE. I have to work until 8 god damn PM, so I will not be able to hit the gym until 9 and that'll be without dinner... :(

WillKuenzel
12-06-2005, 04:27 PM
You know, you don't have to workout. A little bit more rest might do the body good. Some food too. Save it for later. Your body will thank you.

JustinASU
12-06-2005, 04:31 PM
You know, you don't have to workout. A little bit more rest might do the body good. Some food too. Save it for later. Your body will thank you.

Meh, I take 2-3 days off at a time on occasion I'll have you know. :p

I need it to feel good about me. Body dysmorphia is super fun.

JustinASU
12-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Shave my ass and call me a bodybuilder:

BB Bench
barx20
135x12
185x10
235x10
235x9
235x8
235x8
225x8
225x8

Pullups SS w/ Skullcrushers
BWx10.......80x10
BWx8.........80x10
BWx6.........80x10
BWx6.........80x10
BWx6.........80x10

I stayed light on everything and got a super gay pump.

-TIM-
12-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Shave my ass and call me a bodybuilder:

BB Bench
barx20
135x12
185x10
235x10
235x9
235x8
235x8
225x8
225x8

Pullups SS w/ Skullcrushers
BWx10.......80x10
BWx8.........80x10
BWx6.........80x10
BWx6.........80x10
BWx6.........80x10

I stayed light on everything and got a super gay pump.I'm all about getting a super gay pump. Sounds like you had a sub-par day yesterday. How you been feeling overall?

JustinASU
12-07-2005, 05:35 PM
I'm all about getting a super gay pump. Sounds like you had a sub-par day yesterday. How you been feeling overall?

Tim -- Thanks for the concern. I have actually been feeling much better in the injury/lower back/flexibility department as of late. While this is a good thing, I'm so frustrated with not being able to lift heavy. I am doing everything in my mental power to prevent myself from lifting heavy singles. I haven't squat or deadlifted over 500 in months and I'm itching to try. I know if I do that and abandon my current program and this injury recovery and conditioning I have been so dilligently working on will be shot to hell. I used to loooove "the pump" and bodybuilding in general, but once strength training got into my blood there was no looking back. Unfortunately I never understood the concept of periodization, flexibility, mobility, or conditioning. All I knew was lift big and eat big. It's not that simple. Now I'm having to overcompensate for the concepts I mentioned above since the imbalances and injuries are so prevalent that my lifts stagnated. In short, I'm frustrated, though I know this will be good for me in the end. Years from now, when I'm pulling 800 and squatting the same, I'm sure I will look back on this as a learning experience. As for now--this ****ing sucks my atrophied left testicle.

cphafner
12-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Nice "light" effort. BTW, have I ever told you I hate your strength?

WillKuenzel
12-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Still doing the warm-ups and stretching? :)

JustinASU
12-08-2005, 04:41 PM
CP Multiple times. :p

Will Yessir. 'Cept for the last upper workout because I was strapped for time. I'm totally going for a light/stretching workout tonight. My frequency is so little at this point, I'm starting to have the body of a 10 year old girl. You're just trying to make me small and weak aren't you? I'm on to you baldy...

Maybe if you lifted with me more I'd be more apt to do this crap :swear:

briancurran01
12-08-2005, 04:47 PM
well you can take heart justin, in that your light work is way more then even my max

JustinASU
12-09-2005, 04:39 PM
I may never be able to deadlift again. I really do need some good input on this. If you recall, I had a thread over a month ago about how I took two weeks off from the gym, came back, and tried to deadlift. I made it up to 405 before experiencing an extreme weak/burning pain in my lower back that seems to go down into my hips and legs somewhat. This is what caused me to layoff leg days and eventually revamp my entire training as is evident in my journal here.

So after a month and a half of not touching deadlift and focusing more on flexibility and high rep work, I tried deadlifting yesterday. For the record, I did not go ANY higher than 225 which should be feather weight for me. I felt the same pain I was feeling at 405 at this weight. It seems like time off is making things worse. When I first got the pain I hadn't lifted for 2 weeks. Now that I've been off of deadlifting for almost 2 months and off of heavy lifting for 1 month, the pain seems to have gotten worse when deadlifting. What the hell is going on? I know I need to see a doc, but I dont have health insurance quite yet....I need some ideas here people.

Focused70
12-09-2005, 07:01 PM
*I* have the body of a ten-year old girl and the X chromosomes to prove it. :p

All things relative.

JustinASU
12-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Bodyweight today was 257. For some reason I feel tiny though.

So because I was depressed about the failed deadlift day, I had me a bit of a cheat weekend. I still kept the weights sub maximal by a good bit, but this is something I needed to do.

Saturday - Legs

Squats - I warmed up with high bar olys and worked up to some PL stance

High bar Olys:
barx20
95x20
135x10
185x10
225x10

PL Stance:
275x8
315x5 for 5 sets
**These actually did not hurt the back injury in the slightest. The only discomfort I had was in my hips because they were not used to the wide stance.

GHRs
BWx10
BWx10
BWx12
BWx12
BWx15
**May be time to add weight here

DB Shrugs
85x15
100x12
110x12
120x10
130x10
110x15

Sunday - Upper

BB Bench
*I can go a lot heavier here, but I had no spotter and I wasn't trying to kill myself

barx20
95x15
135x12
185x10
225x8
275x5 for 3 sets

Pullups - I mixed Neutral grip with underhand
**Really trying to focus on pulling my chest to the bar instead of my head over the bar
BWx10
BWx8
BWx6
BWx6
BWx5
BWx5
BWx5

Incline DB Press
*Kept these light
85x10 for 4 sets

Close grip pulldowns
170x10 for 4 sets

Machine Chest flys SS with Rear Delt Flys
195x15.........................105x10
225x12.........................115x10

And that's it. Not a bad couple of sessions. I still need input on the deadlift issue. My squats seem to not be bothering this back injury, but I can barely deadlift.... :cry:

cphafner
12-11-2005, 08:06 PM
good looking workout. I need to learn how to do GHR's, they look like good stuff.

RickTheDestroyer
12-13-2005, 10:36 AM
How long until you're insured, Big Ass?
I think it's doctor time bro. Sorry.

MixmasterNash
12-13-2005, 11:34 AM
If you can squat but not pull, I bet the issue is related to compression of the spine in the squat versus some sort of stretch in the pull.

Have you done any non-chest supported rowing (t-bar, bb row)? What about SLDL versus deads?

And, I would recommend a fairly complete second warmup before PL-style squats, even after a full session of oly. As you noticed, the hips ain't ready. But more to the point, you should warm up your erectors better.

Of course, I'm talking completely out of my uneducated ass.

JustinASU
12-14-2005, 09:54 AM
I won't be posting for a while. I was just released from the hospital because I was in a serious car accident. Neck injuries, broken hand, cuts to the head, etc. No more car either :(

Suffice to say there will not be lifting in my forseeable future.

HILL
12-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Dam justin, Get better soon man and dnt forget a good pct

RickTheDestroyer
12-14-2005, 11:25 AM
I won't be posting for a while. I was just released from the hospital because I was in a serious car accident. Neck injuries, broken hand, cuts to the head, etc. No more car either :(

Suffice to say there will not be lifting in my forseeable future.

Well- think about it this way bro, as long as you can figure out a way with the broken hand, you'll get much more WoW time now. :(

Give me a call later if you feel up to it bro.

-TIM-
12-14-2005, 02:15 PM

Suffice to say there will not be lifting in my forseeable future.**** man, that sucks. I feel for you Justin. Heal up bro!

Coke
12-15-2005, 05:00 AM
Wish you well always Justin!!...hope the doc will give you a clean bill of health, the sooner the better.

MixmasterNash
12-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Damn that sucks. Good luck getting better.

Mik
12-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Heal quick!

JustinASU
12-19-2005, 08:34 AM
I think I'm addicted to percocet.

Thanks for your well wishes and concerns.

RickTheDestroyer
12-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Ugh dude. I hated percocet. There are two weeks of my life that I simply don't remember because of that ****.
How about a run-down on the injuries and their respective statuses?

Get better soon, bro.

JustinASU
01-20-2006, 06:57 PM
It's been damn near 6 weeks since the accident. I got my cast off Wednesday. I hurt in so many places. I have a relatively severe case of Post Concussion Syndrome and I'm in the middle of PCT. I vomit a couple of times a week and I can't eat. I'm down about 20 lbs since before the accident. Pre-accident I was about 260 @ 17% bf. Currently about 240 @ 15% bf. I typically get 1500 cals a day at about 150 gr protein. My strength has all but left me. Doc says don't touch a weight for 2 more weeks. My hand is still healing. What the **** does this doctor know? He couldn't even think of an anti nausea med to perscribe to me for my PCS, my wife had to suggest it. He said I didn't need physical therapy either--what a ****nut. When I told him I powerlift as a hobby he said "Powerlifting scares me". This ******* scares me--I'm putting my trust and my health in his hands and he doesn't know what to do.

SO I did what any level minded lifter would do. I went to the gym tonight. Get off my ****ing back--I wore a wrist brace *******s. Pushing 185 on the bench was like pushing 315 pre accident. A tear rolls down my face--not really. I guess I expected this. Early in 2005 I lost 35 lbs because of stomach surgery. I built back up from 215 to 260 with only 2-3% bf gain. And now, God has decided to smite me again. 2005 was a trying year for me. And 2006 is proving to be worse. The road to recovery for my hormones AND my injuries, is a long one. I used for 9 months--I'm a ****ing ******, but my hard work showed through and through, so **** you for judging me. Now I have the setback of my life. If I can pull through this, I can pull through ANY****ingTHING. I got get my natty test rolling again--that is priority number one. It's stalling, but I will pull through. I plan on having blood work in 8-10 weeks. Next priority is to conquer the pain and the nausea--not to mention the severe anxiety. My dysmorphia is at terrible heights right now. I plan my clothes around what covers me the most--no matter how hot I am. Just because I choose to strength train doesn't mean I'm not vain and insecure.

I will grow some balls again (literally...) and I will stop this nausea in it's tracks. I'm determined. Not to say I'm not scared ****less, but I'm dead set in my path, nonetheless.

I'll need support--that's why I post here. Perhaps a few old friends will trickle back into journal land and see my posts.

That's all I got right now. I'm always open to advice and words, whether they are kind or mocking.

heathj
01-20-2006, 07:11 PM
well glad that you're back to lifting! i would get some other referrals from other doctors to see what you should be doing...maybe you can get some pain meds from them.

i just am back to lifting after 3 weeks off from pneumonia so i'm kinda in your shoes. right when i was getting the best strength i've ever had, bam!

good luck getting that strength back, it'll come...

HILL
01-21-2006, 04:31 AM
Slow and easy is proberly the way to go and i would definatly get a second and third opinion

Coke
01-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Glad to see you on the mend however slow you think it is, time is the key here - you need patience...muscle memory is your friend and don't forget it, chances are you'll be bigger than ever down the road. I always love your rants, you are killer bro and have had me rolling a few times in the past with your wry and even self-deprecating humor.

Isaac Wilkins
01-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Good to see you back, big dawg.

I would err on the side of caution as far as lifting goes, mang. Fresh out of a cast is not the time to put a bar in your hands. It takes a few weeks for the musculature of the casted part to regain strength and for the new bone to harden. That's why they take the cast off a couple of weeks before you're actually "healed".

I know you want to get back to it, but I don't want to see you ****ing yourself up worse along the way. You've got what it takes to succeed in this game, just do it in the most efficient manner. Look at it just like congugate periodization: Sometimes you need a full deload, even if you've planned your cycles well. You don't want to deload, but sometimes a deload lets you go a lot further. You're in the same situation, albeit different circumstances.

JustinASU
01-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Heath Sorry to hear about the illness, bro. This kind of **** always seems to happen at the peak of the game, no?

HILL I intend to...

CoCoa It takes talent to be as self loathing and hateful as I truely am--thanks.

Isaac Yeah a full deload is one thing, but an 8 week deload is asking for atrophy and misery. BTW check your PMs.

WillKuenzel
01-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Congratulations, you're fully on the path to permantently hurting yourself.

My advice, find a doctor that will refer you to a physical therapist or start doing a lot of reading. Now is not the time to be lifting heavy, in any way shape or form. You have the oppurtunity to start from scratch and learn but if you are going to stubborn and put yourself in a worse situation, that's your choice.

-TIM-
01-24-2006, 04:21 PM
It's good to see a post in your journal, even if it's not a workout. Take care of yourself Justin and don't set yourself back even more by overdoing it. That's probably the toughest thing you will have to deal with mentally, but you can do it if you make up your mind to take control of the situation. Stay strong bro :thumbup:.

JustinASU
02-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the welcome back guys. It feels good to be back in the gym, even if I'm not putting up phenominal numbers these days.

Will - no offense, bro, but I am starting to know my body and I am by no means lifting beyond my limits right now.

So after all is said and done, I have not lost as much as I thought. My weight is holding steady at 245 lbs with 15-16% bf (guesstimated). I still wear a wrist brace when I lift (esp. on the upper days). The only pain I get these days is from benching and I haven't gone beyond a 205 lb bench since getting back in the game. Considering I was out of the gym for 7-8 weeks and I was in PCT for a good part of that, I made out rather well.

I can't say whether or not my natty test is back in me yet. I would say not 100% based on a) the limited timeframe and b) my libido is still dead...then again perhaps being a walking hardon 24/7 for the last 10 months has something to do with my perceived loss of libido. When you're used to the power of synthetic test in your pants, a normal libido is nothing. Luckily I'm married, so any temporary problems will not be the death of me ;). I hit up a leg workout yesterday - it wasn't half bad. It looked a little something like this:

Deep Squats:
barx20
135x12
185x10
225x10
275x8
315x6
365x3
385x3
405x3
425x3
425x3

Romanian Deadlifts - these are new to me and my grip is not what it was, so I kept these light
135x12
185x10
225x10
225x10
225x10
225x10

I rounded it off with some heavy upright rows.

I know I'm not as big as I was while on based on the number on the scale and the fit in my clothes, but at the same time, I'm proud of what I have been able to hold onto thus far. I pray that I continue to hold on to the mass I have left.

For a while, powerlifting style of lifting is out. My workouts will have a more bodybuilding focus to induce hypertrophy again and focus on lighter weights for recovery.

After a hellava stint with Post Concussion Syndrome, my appetite seems normal again (by normal I mean 4000-5000 cals is not a challenge).

I have a lot of inner demons I'm still dealing with in regards to anxiety, much of which I can safely say I picked up while being on cycle, and got worse post cycle; but I'm slowly working to overturn this ****.

I will return to posting my workouts regularly, but they are reduced in frequency these days. Plus, the weights are all so pathetic, so bear with me while I work on recovering before getting strong again.

Coke
02-08-2006, 05:00 AM
Super deep squats, U kept much strength there...awesome you're maintaining mass after the setback.

Isaac Wilkins
02-08-2006, 07:09 AM
Nice job on the weights, big fella. Remember, slow and easy when you come back. Now that you're mostly out of the PCT woods you'll have much less to worry about atrophy. Keep things light and under control and you won't have to worry about losing anything while you're still healing up. Get your diet in line (which it sounds like you're doing), get your rest under control, keep the training light, and really focus on your flexibility and correcting your imbalances.

Keep easing along until you're 100%. There's no reason to jump the gun and start from anything less than that. You're in this for the long haul.

HILL
02-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Workout is dam impressive in my opinion considering everything else

JustinASU
02-08-2006, 01:55 PM
CoCoa Thanks bro. I was suprise I was able to push those weights because previous to the car accident, I couldn't squat much past 315 without pain in my lower back. My LB certainly tightened, but no bad pain.

Isaac Your words of encouragement are wonderful to hear. I can't sat 100% whether or not I'm 'mostly out of the PCT woods' since my libido is still nonexistant. I can say I'm maintaining my bodyweight in the mid 240's which is always a good sign. I be taking it easy with lighter weights and higher reps. I need to kick back in 20 min of stretching everyday too.

HILL Thanks, mang.

Well I am eating again--that's for sure, but I also seem to be piling back on the bodyfat. Regardless of whether I consider myself a bodybuilder or a powerlifter, I do not want to be carrying around 20% bodyfat--it's useless in my opinion. I don't see a reason to drop lower than 12% either, but I am racking up BF again now that I am eating. I know I can clean up my diet--pizza, gatorade, and mexican are some of my mainstays. I dunno if I am capable of eating clean anymore without gagging on every bite. I miss my superior nutrient partitioning :(

Trying to hit upper body up tonight...

-TIM-
02-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Good luck on tonight's workout Justin. Your leg session looked pretty good considering your recent set backs. Keep it up.

midee1
02-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Been a long time since I've been around and I must say. Dayum you've had some rough times as of late. Glad to see ya back into it albeit in some pain. Consider yourself lucky that you were not hurt worse.:thumbup:

RickTheDestroyer
02-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Deep Squats:
315x6
365x3
385x3
405x3
425x3
425x3

My workouts will ...focus on lighter weights for recovery.

**** you. :mad:

JustinASU
03-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Don't post much these days, not that anyone cares. Thought I'd throw up an update. I have officially been "off" for a little over 8 weeks. Being off is not as bad as I thought it'd be. I never really crashed, but at the same time, I have not recovered fully (which scares the **** out of me). Body weight did not suffer to much. In fact, today I weighed in at a solid 248.5. My body fat is getting uncomfortably high, so a cut may soon be in order.

In regards to strength: I really hit my groove recently in squats. I have been adding weight to my squat like never before. My previous PR was 600 to parallel. Before the accident I could barely box squat 425 lbs. Afterwards I couldnt squat ****. Last week I box squatted 485 without a hitch. My deadlift is coming back up too. I pulled a solid 555 last week, which is creeping up on my 600 deadlift PR. Unfortunately I still cannot bench or do any pushing moves for ****. I did manage a 335 pin press today, which suprised me, but it used to be so much stronger. All the same, I am doing it natural and after a major injury, so I am proud of myself. My wife wants me to never touch a steroid again. I told her I wouldn't but I know by Christmas (when I'm 110% recovered) I'll be aching for some test. I gotta figure out what to do. Any of you long time users who are married have any suggestions?

My goal this year is to push myself farther than I've ver gone naturally or assisted, except this time I'm doin it all natty, baby. I want a 650 b deadlift, 600 box squat, and 400 bench this year. I know I can do it if I push myself hard. It's gonna be tough without the added hormones, as I know I am nearing my natural potential, but stay tuned and we shall see.

MixmasterNash
03-18-2006, 05:07 PM
You're still god damned strong, but its the fact that you're getting stronger that is most impressive.

Coke
03-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Muscle memory is your friend. You've worked so hard in the past - I'm not surprised you are making these strides.

Guido
03-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Just like Lance Armstrong, sometimes when we've hit our lowest points, that's when we come back with a stronger determination that helps us get to higher points than we ever would have imagined previously.

I don't see you hitting your natural potential yet. In fact, you may be just now tapping into what that potential might be. Stick with it for a while and you may just surprise yourself.

RickTheDestroyer
03-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Justin-bo-bustin,
The Gabester said you might be rolling back up into town soon... you'd best be making a stop by Rick's House of Asscrushing or else.
Plus you can laugh at me while I live on shakes, tuna, fish oil, and green tea.
I'm glad you're feeling big and strong, *******.

JustinASU
04-29-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm just now really getting back into things. I am at a new gym. It's a commercial meatmarket hell. Luckily, Isaac and Will train there, so if I'm lucky I might catch one of those fools. There are some BIG boys in the gym. They make my 240 lb frame look smallish. Unfortunately, not a one of them squats or deadlifts. The few I DO see squatting are doing quarter squats and rounding their backs. My strength is not what it used to be. Lowered testosterone and all my injuries have taken quite a toll. I can't continue to use those excuses forever though. It's partially my fault. I have no structure to my lifting routine. I have dropped dynamic days altogether. I stopped recording my lifts. As a result, my lifts have all taken a nose dive. It's tough when I can't say that I'm the strongest I've ever been today. Regardless, with a few pointers from the ambiguously gay duo, I am getting my form back on track. I just went in for a nice easy leg day today. Squats are so much more difficult than they used to be.

Below Parallel medium-wide stance squats
barx10
135x10
185x6
225x6
275x5
315x5
405x2
405x2
405x2

High bar Oly ATF squats
225x10

Light GMs (working on hamstring flexibility and lower back endurance)
135x10
185x10
185x10
185x10
185x10
185x10
185x10

HS Shrugs
3ppsx12
4ppsx10
5ppsx8
5ppsx8
5ppsx8
5ppsx8

That's all for now. I'm a bit ashamed of my poundages, but the past few months have taught me to be humble.

-TIM-
04-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Good to hear from you Justin. I was just wondering yesterday how you've been doing. 405 isn't too shabby, and it only goes up from here.

KevinStarke
04-30-2006, 09:22 AM
Damn man awesome workout, thats a whooooole lotta GM's.

JustinASU
05-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks guys. And Kevin--my hamstrings were stinging for about 3 days afterwards. Stairs were suicide. Last night I did some upper and for once, attempted to add back in some Dyanmic effort bench. This is the first time I have done dyanmic effort since the car accident.

DE Bench - done with 25 seconds rest between sets
barx10

Wide grips - pointer finger on rings
135x3
135x3
135x3

Medium grips - pinky on rings
135x3
135x3
135x3

Narrow grips - pointer fingers on smooth part of bar
135x3
135x3
135x3

I decided to then test my speed with a little more weight
225x5
245x4
245x4
245x4
245x4

**speed was terrible. I am absolutely adding back in my DE days

BB Rows
135x12
185x10
225x8
225x8
225x8
225x8

Tricep Pulldowns
100x8
100x8
100x8
100x8

It wasn't a true DE day, but I'll be getting back to that soon. I hope by next week to be back on my old routine (standard westside) 2 days ME (upper, lower) and 2 days DE (Upper, Lower).

KevinStarke
05-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Awesome DE work man, speed work rules. Strong ass barbell rows too, your split sounds good as well.

WillKuenzel
05-03-2006, 01:31 PM
On your DE bench, you are rotating through the exercise right? Wide, medium, close and then repeat?

Keep posting your numbers. Its humbling but it keeps you honest and keeps pushing you. This way you don't get psyched out and think you are lifting heavy.

Really keep focusing on the DE days. They are there for CNS rest and form correction. Don't neglect them. Because they are fast and don't require a whole lot of thought you can really pound out your other exercises after that.

-TIM-
05-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Great session Justin. Keep at it.

JustinASU
05-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Kevin Thanks bro. Yeah I've really started to realize how important DE days are.

Will Yes, I rotate through the grips. I remember when I was posting crazy numbers (for me) a year and a half ago. I've had so many setbacks and posting these low number really are humbling.

Timmy Thanks, bro.

Thursday was a DE Squat day.

Speed Squats off box
barx10
135x10
225x2 for 10 sets
315x1 (To test speed)

Romanian Deadlifts
135x10
225x6
315x5
315x5
315x5
315x5
315x5

HS shrugs
3 plates per sidex12
4 plates per sidex10
5 plates per sidex9
5 plates per sidex9
5 plates per sidex9
5 plates per sidex9

***Finished with a 20 rep set of spread eagle situps to stretch out my lower back.

KevinStarke
05-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Numbers ar estill lookin huge to me, awesome workout man.

JustinASU
05-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Monday was a crappy attempt at ME Upper...

BB Bench
barx12
135x10
185x6
225x6
245x4
265x2
285x1
295x1

Pullups
BWx6 for 5 sets

HS Wide Chest Press
3ppsx8
4ppsx5
4ppsx5
4ppsx5

Seated Cable rows
150x10
165x10
180x8
195x8
210x6

Wednesday was ME Lower

Deadlifts (Conventional)
135x10
225x8
315x6
405x3
455x1
505x1
535x1

Squats
135x10
225x6
315x5
405x5
445x1
445x1
315x6 (ATF)

HS Shrugs
4ppsx10
5ppsx8
5ppsx8
5ppsx8
5ppsx8

I feel so weak :( and I'm a fattie too.

WillKuenzel
05-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Are you stretching? I'll kick your ass if you ain't!

If you don't have time to warmup (and stretch afterwards) you don't have time to workout. Your priorities right now should be making sure everything is as balanced as possible. Don't let anymore muscle imbalances set you back.

HILL
05-11-2006, 11:36 AM
numbers are still impressive coming back from injury or not. dnt worry about it.

cphafner
05-11-2006, 07:10 PM
weak my ass.

Coke
05-12-2006, 04:09 AM
weak my ass.

:D

JustinASU
05-25-2006, 01:35 PM
Alright, so for the 1.5 people that read this journal, you're in for a shock. I will documenting my food and counting calories again. I am counting on you guys to keep me in line...

5/24/05

WORKOUT
Low Rack Presses
barx20
135x12
185x8
225x5
245x3
265x1
285x1
315x0

High Rack Presses
315x1
335x1
355x1
365x1

Parallel Grip Pull-ups
BWx45 (split over several sets)

HS Wide Chest Press
3ppsx8
3pps+25 lbsx6
4ppsx3
4ppsx3
(pps=45 lb plates per side)

HS Pullover
6 plates (270 lbs)x6

Close grip lat pulldowns
150x10
165x8
180x8
195x6

5/25/06

FOOD (projected food for the day)
Meal 1 (10 am): 2 egg sammiches w/ ff cheese and bacon, 2 cups OJ
Meal 2 (3 pm): 1.5 chicken breasts with 2 cups rice
Meal 3 (7 pm): 2 scoops ON whey protein in 2 cups skim milk
Meal 4 (Postworkout - 10 pm): 2 scoops ON whey w/ destrose
Meal 5 (12 pm): 6 tablespoons natty PB on WW bagel with 3 cups milk

My FitDay - http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Justin%2ERauschenberg

Tonight's workout should be ME Lower, but I lost my belt, so it'll be no fun :(

RickTheDestroyer
05-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Bitch. That is NOT what a PSMF diet looks like... does look pretty good and clean though, and since you're at least keeping track I'll forgive you, even though you're a liar. I do love those egg sammiches, too.

Also, you're too strong, so **** you.
Let me know when you're coming up to visit.

WillKuenzel
05-25-2006, 02:13 PM
He's not doing PSMF, dammit! There's no need. He just needs to workout and clean the diet up. Maybe bring the calories down just a bit but not yet.

Justin, what does your high level workout routine look like? What days are ME and DE what?

It might do you good to lose the belt for a while. ;) What are you doing for your ME exercise tonight?

What time do you wake up? I'd also like to see lots more fruit and veggies. You can put those in your diet listed here but you don't have to put them into fitday. For the time being get more veggies and more fruit. You can eat all them you can handle without worrying about calories from them. We'll worry about that later if we need to.

RickTheDestroyer
05-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Hahahaha- I will defer to your superior knowledge on this one. I was mostly just giving him a hard time since PSMF was the last thing I'd heard from him, and I liked the idea of him suffering like I have been.

I'm not sure I've ever seen the boy eat a vegetable, either, to tell you the truth...

WillKuenzel
05-25-2006, 02:55 PM
He was looking for the quick way out. I think we've remedied him of that and have gotten him to considering doing things the long hard way. It'll be longer lasting this way and set about making a more permanent change to his lifestyle which is the end goal.

He'll suffer plenty. I'm sure a cup of brocolli will do that enough.

He'll start eating veggies or I'm going to drive to his house and force them down his throat.

MixmasterNash
05-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Hot sauce. Do you like hot sauce?

Enough hot sauce will make any vegetable, animal, or mineral very tasty.

Focused70
05-25-2006, 03:40 PM
OJ counts as a vegetable.

(just kidding)

JustinASU
05-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Rick Veggies are teh NASTY. That's why you don't see me eating that ****...

Will High level workout? Days? I don't do that kinda planning in advance (I suppose I should be). Lately I have been hitting up 3-4 workouts/week and just squeezing in ME and DE days wherever. I'll work on a more structured routine this weekend and post on Sunday or Monday.

Tonight I was thinking about doing rack pulls for my main ME lift supplemented with front squats and perhaps some abs. Rack pulls with NOT be fun without a belt.

This week I am waking up late because I am working 11-8 everyday. I woke up all week at about 9:45 am, but on normal week days I'm up at 7:45 am.

I'll eat fruits, but veggies?!? You're asking a lot of me. I HATE brocolli :(

Nash Not a fan of the hawt sauce

Soba I wish :(

JustinASU
05-25-2006, 04:08 PM
I forgot to mention my supplementals for the day...

8 Fish Oil Caps
1 Multivitamin
2 grams Vitamin C
Vitamin b12
15 mg melatonin (before bed)
400mg caffine (preworkout)

WillKuenzel
05-25-2006, 04:36 PM
We need to get you on a structured routine ASAP. That way we can work on your weaknesses and keep you from just working your strong points. I've noticed you've a habit of doing that.

There's something to be said for instinct training but you also need a structure. We can come up with something that gives you a bit of a variety but makes you concentrate on the basics.

You don't have to eat brocolli but just more veggies of any kind. Get some spinach or Romaine lettuce. Something green and preferably fresh or frozen and not canned. I know its difficult but I'm doing it. My wife is adamant about something green or colorful on the plate at dinner. I don't know what it is but a red bloody plate of meat isn't her idea of colorful. I just don't get it but its what she wants and it helps.

Isaac Wilkins
05-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Wilma is right. We need to get you on a structured routine and diet. That's the only way you're going to learn what does and doesn't work for you. You've tried the instinctive thing and it doesn't really seem to be working well for you, does it?

I'm sure you're instinctively picking the things that you like to do and are good at, not the things that actually need work.

Small steps, my friend, small steps. This is how you learn.

WillKuenzel
05-25-2006, 07:39 PM
You need to work on bringing the saturated fat down. Or at least getting a higher amount of unsaturated fats.

See about getting the fish oil caps into fitday. I could do it and figure it out but that's a pain in the ass. You do it. ;)

Pup
05-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Just make sure the unsaturated fat is mono and not poly...i've read enough research that makes me believe that poly isn't an end all be all and saturated does have a positive effect on endogenous test.

Olive oil, nuts, avocados, fish...if you add fat, start with these.

WillKuenzel
05-26-2006, 07:45 AM
The dextrose is calculating wrong too. Dextrose is carbs, not protein.

HILL
05-26-2006, 12:04 PM
nice to see diet back on track and counting cals is always a good thing i think. Just to get one thing straight none and i mean none at all of your workouts are weak its enough to knock one sick especially knowing your comingh back from injury etc. Good luck with the training and diet it looks like you have got more than enogh help in here as well

JustinASU
05-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Will I'll have a routine by Sunday and I'll throw it up for you all to tear apart. and BTW I am totally eating a turkey sammich with lettuce right now (ok so it's iceberg--useless I know).

The saturated fat calulation is actually incorrect I think. A lot of the food I input I just put the 3 macronutrients in and for some reason it defaults to saturated fat I think.

Also, my bad on the dextrose. I DO know that dextrose is carbs, that was a mistype on my part.

Isaac I've always been bad about picking the lifts that feel more comfortable or that I excel at because it makes me feel better about myself. That's how I end up with beastly quads and pathetic hammies.

Rob The majority of my unsaturated fat is from natty PB. SO I think I'm straight.

Hill Thanks for the encouragement bro.

5/25/06 - ME Lower

Disclaimer: My deadlifts have gotten very, very weak. I should be rack pulling 600+. One thing to note is that I did not use a belt or wraps or straps.

Rack Pulls (no gear)
barx20
135x8
185x6
225x6
315x4
405x2
455x1
495x1
535x1
555x1 (and just barely :( )

Front Squats below parallel
Note: I tried this with both arm placements. I cannot figure out which one is superior.
135x10
185x8
225x4
225x4
225x4
225x4

ATF Squats
225x10

HS Shrugs
5ppsx8 for 4 sets

I will post the diet tonight. Thanks for all the feedback I am taking everything to heart and using it as motivation.

WillKuenzel
05-26-2006, 01:45 PM
I didn't doubt that you knew what dextrose was, I was just giving you a hard time.

Alot of the things you eat are going to have saturated fat in them. I'd like to see it brought down just a little bit. The fish oils should help in that ratio a little.

We're going to make sure on this routine that you are getting enough work to help those things which need it. We might also have to look at your form on somethings but all in due time. Get a routine together. As much as I hate sticking to a plan, I like to have things planned out. I give myself a lot of flexibility in the routine but there are certain things that see are effecting it that I have to work on. Hence more walking lunges for me.

JustinASU
05-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Here's my fitday for yesterday:

http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Justin%2ERauschenberg

Not as clean :(

JustinASU
05-27-2006, 08:33 AM
I think I might try DE upper today, but my whole posterior chain feels like absolute **** so we'll see.

Pup
05-27-2006, 09:47 AM
I think that 16tbsp of PB might be a little overkill. If you want that much fat in the diet, cut the PB in half, then add in 4tbsp of olive oil (the UCP-2 uncoupling is a nice benefit of olive oil) and the other 4tbsp worth of fat from macadamia or walnuts. PB is high on the n-6, so a little balance might be in order. An alternate suggestion (i realize i'm being nitpicky) is to get some Powerbutter, its not super expensive ($9 a jar, roughly 28tbsp per jar), but the n-3 amount is high and could offset any n3:n6 ratio deficiencies you might have.

Are you stretching your posterior chain at all? I know you'd mentioned before you didn't do a lot of stretching, so that might be part of it. This will sound kinda fruity, but if there are any power yoga classes in your area, it might be something to look into for flexibility as well as strengthening the core and the posterior chain.

KevinStarke
05-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Real strong rack pulls regardless man, nice job.

JustinASU
05-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Rob Just goes to show how much I know about fats. I forgot to mention: the peanut butter brand i buy has 1000mg of omega-3's per serving (2 tbsp) so do you think that balances it out a bit more?

Kevin Thanks mang

So I am not posting the diet from yesterday. The reason is it went to ****. All was going well until I decided to have "fun" and slam about 8 shots in an hour. Suffice to say, I did not eat before bed, and the alkie completely ruined my macros.

5/27/05 - DE UPPER

Speed Bench
barx10
135x8
155x3 for 9 sets rotating 3 grips
25 secs rest between sets

DB Rows
70x10
85x10
95x10
110x6
110x6
110x6
110x6

Swiss ball DB Bench
65x10
80x8
95x6
105x4
105x4
105x4
105x4

Then just for kicks I did some isolation...

Cable curls
120x10
140x6
140x6

Skull crushers - I don't know what kinda weight I used, nor do I care - - about 3 sets of 12 reps

So far as my routine goes...I have thought about it and unless I receive feedback stating differently, I think I'll just use the 4 day traditional Westside split. That means 2 ME days and 2 DE days. Probably something like Monday-ME Lower, Tues-ME Upper, Wed-off, Thurs-DE Lower, Friday-off, Saturday-DE Lower, Sunday-off.

Pup
05-29-2006, 08:48 AM
The n-3 in the PB will help balance it out definitely. Could you post up what brand of PB you use, cause i'd love to get my hands on that...Powerbutter is the only PB i've ever seen with n-3 in it.

Nice DE work, how's the lower back feeling?

JustinASU
05-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Rob Thanks. Here's the link to the Natty PB. It's like $2 a jar, which contains as much as Powerbutter...

http://www.smartbalance.com/omega3.html#

As a bonus it's the best tasting natty PB I've EVER had. Seriously, try some.

KevinStarke
05-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Nice DE work man.

JustinASU
05-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Just wanted to vent and I thought my journal would be an appropriate place. I have always been an anxious person. In recent years my anxiety has increased exponetially. I was told that being on cycle too long can bring out anxiety in anxious people. It definitely did for my last cycle. I was also told that once I get off, the anxiety will get much worse before it gets better. Well I'm officially 4 months off and my anxiety has only increased. I worry about everything. I'm even worried about worrying and how it may be affecting my progress in the gym. Stress is a powerful thing. I know it increases fat storage and eats away at LBM, which could explain my current physical state. I'm at the end of my rope. My job only adds to it. After I got back to work this morning, about an hour in I was so anxious and upset that I thought about feigning sick and going home. Unfortunately I am out of sick days thanks to the accident I had at the end of last year, so it would be unpayed. I've been having trouble getting the motivation to even get to work for several weeks now. I'm sure that hating my job is part of it, but there's definitely more to it because I've been able to suffer through miserable work experiences before. I guess it's time for me to see a doc about alla this. Unless I get this **** worked out, I'll never make gains in the gym and my numbers will remain the same (except for my BF %age).

Yeah, that's it. I ****ing hate my mind.

RickTheDestroyer
05-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Whoa whoa whoa... easy boy. It's really easy to let that anxiety spiral out of control and mind**** the hell out of you.

Honestly, I think it would be a good idea for you to go to a doctor... either a psychiatrist or a psychologist/social worker (who'll probably then refer you to a psychiatrist for some meds after talking to you). I've known you long enough to know that your anxiety is not just a temporary, situational thing. A clinician will help teach you to deal with anxiety and stress better, and I honestly think that you're someone who would benefit from a low dose SSRI (at least for a while until you feel more in control).

We are very much the same, bro. For the longest time, lifting was what I did to manage my own anxiety/depression/whatever, and that's not seeming as effective anymore- I believe that this is probably the case with you as well. I'm very seriously considering some counseling, and I strongly suggest that you do the same. There's no shame in it bro. If you're not well, then go get it dealt with.

WillKuenzel
05-30-2006, 01:21 PM
You've definitely got to do something to get your anxiety under control. When it starts to dominate all aspects of your life, even the things that are supposed to help, then its high time you got some help. We're all human and can't always deal with things on our own, no matter how tough we'd like to think we are.

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
There are things to worry about and there are the things to let roll off of your shoulders. I'm probably just the opposite. I don't let enough things affect me.

Lets think about your workouts doing the following:
Sunday: rest
Monday: ME lower
Tuesday: DE upper
Wednesday: off
Thursday: ME upper
Friday: DE lower
Saturday: rest

Or any other variation so that you're not doing 2 ME days back to back. You either want some rest between the days or a DE day following an ME day.

Also remember that ME doesn't necessarily mean a 1RM PR. It could mean a 5RM PR or even just a PR for 5 reps, not even a rep max. Don't get so caught up in 1RM. Right now, I could almost put you back on German Volume training to get you to do some work.

I'm not really wanting you to over-analyze what you are going to be doing. I want you to focus on the things that need work. Relax, the thing about working out is that you improve on something. If you are improving that's the key. I don't care if each time you improve on your sit-n-reach, its an improvement.

The first thing is I want you to get a warm up routine. I want you to think about it. What things do you need to focus on warming up? What things give you trouble when you are lifting? Answer those 2 questions. If you don't have time to warm up, you don't have time to lift. We have to get you to realize that warming up and recovery is just as important as the workout. Sit down and focus on what needs to be prioritized.

MixmasterNash
05-30-2006, 02:46 PM
An interesting Dan John article... The warm-up is the workout. (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1064736)

Pup
05-30-2006, 06:56 PM
Just stay positive bro...you have a big support group here, things will work themselves out. I've been through the anxiety stuff myself, just take it a day at a time, you ever need to shoot the **** about it just hit me up.

Isaac Wilkins
05-31-2006, 04:21 AM
Hey bro,

It was good to chat it up with you at the gym last night. Really take some of the stuff that Will and I talked about to heart. Pick one or two things and really work on fixing them. When they're under control pick some more targets. Break all of this down into small chunks.

You'll get through everything just fine. Small steps.

WillKuenzel
05-31-2006, 08:37 AM
I liked Isaac's idea, write down, on paper, 5 things that you really feel need to be worked. You can post 2 of them here or can PM them to me if you don't want to openly discuss them, but lets concentrate on what you really want to work on.

What we want you to think about is correcting everything. You can either try to walk against the wall or can take 2 steps back, change directions and walk around the wall that's holding you back.

JustinASU
05-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Rickalicious My first step is to acually get bloodwork done. I need to make sure my hormones are in check before I persue the shrink idea. I'm really REALLY worried about my test levels these days. It's easier to put on fat, harder to put on muscle and strength, and the libido has left the building. It could ALL be anxiety, but for my sanity, I need to rule out physiological possibilities first.

Thanks for taking the time to post and call though. You're a damn good friend, bro.

Nash If I ever get a free moment I'll check out the article--thanks!

Rob Thanks bro. It means a lot that you can sympathize.

Will and Isaac It is always humbling to talk you you both on the subject of strength training. I can dispense knowledge pretty well to new lifters, but when I talk to you both, I feel like a kid that knows little to nothing about powerlifting or strength training. It's a bit defeating to find out I've done so many things wrong, but I know that part of the learning process.

I'll take some time this weekend to look over my weaknesses. I am so un****ingbelievably busy during the week with work, my wife, and lifting, that I dont have time for that. In fact, Im not gonna document my fitday for a few days until I get some **** from work cleared up, mostly because I really do not have the time.

I want to thank you both, again, for taking the time to help my scrawney, pathetically weak ass out. I assure you that I am willing to learn at this point and taking a step back to re-evaluate where I am sounds like a solid plan.

JustinASU
05-31-2006, 12:19 PM
Forgot my workout from last night.

I spent a good hour squatting (speed squats) and having Isaac and Will tear my form apart. I am not sure I remember the sets and reps so I'm not going to include them, but they were sets of 2 reps, I would guess about 12-15 sets.

Aside from that I did...

RDLs - no belt or straps
135x10
225x10
275x8
315x5 for 5 sets
225x10

HS Shrugs
5ppsx10 for 4 sets

Yeah, I didn't have a lot of time left after my squat critique.

WillKuenzel
05-31-2006, 01:20 PM
How long does it take to do your fitday? 2 minutes. Don't make excuses. I know you have a ton of **** going on but if this important to you, you'll do it. Justin, dude, we're trying to help. You have to help us.

DGabe24
05-31-2006, 01:57 PM
Nice workouts man, keep up the good workout :thumbup:

JustinASU
05-31-2006, 03:42 PM
How long does it take to do your fitday? 2 minutes. Don't make excuses. I know you have a ton of **** going on but if this important to you, you'll do it. Justin, dude, we're trying to help. You have to help us.

Okay...damn...It'll be up tonight. I promise. I'm not lifting aanyways because I got 4 hrs sleep last night...:thumbup:

WillKuenzel
05-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Sleep is good, umm'kay. Take the time away from the video games to put in your fitday. It won't hurt you that much. ;)

JustinASU
05-31-2006, 05:07 PM
Food will prolly look something like this for the day:

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Justin%2ERauschenberg

HILL
06-01-2006, 05:49 AM
fitday looks good mate. i wish i had people that new what they were talking about to critique my squat form your lucky take advantage mate. Also im jelouse i canr wait till im bulking again

JustinASU
06-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Thursday - ME Upper (sorta)

Bench (warm-up)
barx15
135x10
185x8
225x5
245x3

Rack Press
275x1
295x1
315x1
335x1
355x1
365x1

Pull-ups
BWx8
BWx6
BWx6

Seated Rows
150x10
165x10
180x8
195x8
195x8
195x8

CGBP (Bodybuilder style--no arch, feet on bench)
135x12
185x6
185x6
185x6

Saturday
Note: Today was more of a lighter recovery day. I'm really dragging ass because I've had insomnia for the past week (again).

Clean and Press
115x10
135x3
155x3
185x1 for 5 sets

ATF Squats
225x10 for 3 sets

Swiss Ball DB Bench
65x10
80x8 for 3 sets

Chest Supported Rows
3ppsx10
3ppsx10
3ppsx10

Skullcrushers
3 sets of 8

KevinStarke
06-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Strong workouts Justin.

cphafner
06-04-2006, 10:21 AM
good sessions Justin.

Coke
06-05-2006, 04:56 AM
Nice efforts Justin.

Pup
06-05-2006, 07:53 AM
A good solid session Justin.

WillKuenzel
06-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Your most recent fiday entry was 6 days ago. Not looking good dude.

RickTheDestroyer
06-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Hahahahaha... I love it:

Strong workouts Justin.
good sessions Justin.
Nice efforts Justin.
A good solid session Justin.
I'm gonna go against the grain: **** you, Justin. :mad:
Are you gonna roll into town in time for a workout on Saturday? I'm thinking about doing deads for the first time in a long time, and I'd love some of your special deadlift magic...

WillKuenzel
06-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Updates dude.

DGabe24
06-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Had a good workout, lets see some more numbers big man. Sorry to hear about that insomnia, maybe take some heavy doses of zinc? (I could be totally off, just a thought) Feel better man.

-TIM-
06-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Nice volume on your last workout Justin. It looks like you're coming around.

JustinASU
06-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Don't have time to respond to everone, but thanks for reading...

This is mostly to give an update so that you all do not think I am neglecting my journal.

DE Upper - 6/6/06

Speed Bench
barx15
135x10
155x3 for 9 sets
225x3 for 3 sets

OH grip pull-ups
BWx55 done over several sets

DB Bench
75x10
90x5
100x5 for 3 sets

parallel grip pulldowns
165x10
180x8
195x6 for 3 sets

Dips
BWx8 for 3 sets

Fitday goes up tonight. I need to get one diet down so I never have to worry about fitday again...

KevinStarke
06-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Nice DE day man.

WillKuenzel
06-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Good DE day. Looks about right. Might like to see one shoulder movement in there but as big as your shoulders are, its not really an issue. Probably just do some rear delt exercises and that's all you'll need.

One diet would be great but its torture to eat that way. We don't want to torture you but just get you on the way to start eating healthy and more structured. Eating while clean is different in that you can't quite get away with some of the things you do while on. Take it one day at a time and take the time to focus on the things that are important. If the diet isn't that important then don't stress over it but if your weight and bodyfat are an issue then its just something that comes with the territory.

JustinASU
06-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Kevin Thanks bro.

Will YAY positive feedback!!!!1 Sorry, I'm used to doing things wrong. I know I've been slacking on the diet and since you've made a commitment to help me I owe it to you and myself to spend 15 minutes a day to put together my fitday. I guess part of the reason I feel like it's futile is because no matter how accurate I try to be I'm sure I'm still off several hundred cals because I don't measure every bit of food and sometimes I have to guess the nutritional contents of food (like when I eat out). I feel like fitday has nothing to do with the reality of the calories I am digesting...Regardless, if I want you to take my journal seriously, I need to get on the fitday thing. No more excuses from here on out (short of death or dismemberment)...

Yesterday...Lower um....Bull**** day
I really didn't have a goal yesterday. I was lifting to get the blood moving but I didn't want to lift too heavy since I am deading with Rickalicious (DenimDemon) on saturday and I gotta put on a good show.

Squats (No belt or wraps)
barx15
135x10
225x5
275x3
315x3
365x3
405x1
425x1
425x1
315x6

Good Mornings (again, no belt)
135x10
225x5
225x5
225x5
245x5
265x5

HS Shrugs
5ppsx9 for 4 sets

Focused70
06-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Don't worry, Justin, I slack on Fitday too. Just have to yank your chain to get back on when you find yourself falling off the wagon.

I don't bother figuring out calories when I eat out. Then again, I strive to eat relatively cleanly such that I won't beat myself up over one meal.

Beastly liftz.

Stash

KevinStarke
06-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Awesome squats and GM's man.

RickTheDestroyer
06-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Man I hate you. ****ing 55 chins @ what, 250lb? ****.
Also, once you get enough custom items into fitday it really doesn't take long to do at all.

Anyways... now that the hate is out of the way, I'm real glad you and the wifey are coming up bro- it'll be real good to see you.

WillKuenzel
06-08-2006, 04:07 PM
I know sometimes I come across as a bit short or like an ******* but I'm just trying to give you honest constructive criticism. You're a good friend and I'm just trying to help. Keep that in mind. You're doing good. I don't always say it but each time you strive to do something positive, it comes back to you tenfold.

With all that mussy crap out of the way... how is your lower back doing? How do you feel that your recovery is coming? I hope that you are doing some stretching and recovery work. If we have to, we'll spend some time together and get you stretch out. If we have to, we'll involve the wife in getting you to stretch out at home. :evillaugh

JustinASU
06-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Soba I guess I just tend to lose faith that calorie counting will get me somewhere when it's not even accurate. Not by a long shot.

Kevin Thanks man

Rickalicious 252 lbs this AM at the doc's office, but keep in mind I'm sitting between 17-20% bf

Will It's okay, you are an *******, but I forgive you. ;) You don't know how much it means to be that you take time out almost everyday to post feedback in here. You're taking a serious interest in my success, and I appreciate that more than I can tell you.

Lower back ain't half bad. My glutes and hammies felt like they got hit by a ****ing Mack truck, but the back is doing nicely. Recovery is so/so. Sometimes it takes almost a week to recover from some sessions. Stretching and recovery work....hmm....does squatting down on the toilet a few times a day work for that? I'm doing it with a good 5 count. :D

Yeah so perhaps I could find a way to get some GPP and stretching in here and there...

Fo those of you who did not see my post in Gen Health forum, I went this morning to the doc to get tested for low testosterone. Between my anxiety and my sleeplessness and the fact that I don't have the urge to bang my wife's brains out, I figured something was up. I got blood taken this morning. I go back to the doc in a week to find out if I will be on TRT for the rest of my life. **** it kills me that at 23 I am having to worry about this ****. I did everything by the book with my cycles and PCT too...

Anyways, no workout today. I am traveling up to D-town, NC to celebrate Rick's VERY belated B-day. If my hammies dont feel like absolute ****, tomorrow will be a deadlifting day. If they do, it will be ME Upper.

Diet so far is ok. I will post fitday tonight. Thus far:

Meal 1 (7:15 am) - Natty PB on ww bagel
Meal 2 (12:00pm - 2 scoops nitrean in milk
Meal 3 will probably be pizza because I'm lazy. And fat. Sue me.

WillKuenzel
06-09-2006, 01:31 PM
I did everything by the book with my cycles and PCT too...
Dude? Really? Staying for a year, taking a month off without anything, jumping back on, not staying off for as long as you were on? Not exactly by the book.

Safe travels. Call me anytime, man. I'm always happy to help.

JustinASU
06-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Dude? Really? Staying for a year, taking a month off without anything, jumping back on, not staying off for as long as you were on? Not exactly by the book.

Safe travels. Call me anytime, man. I'm always happy to help.

C'mon that's an exaggeration. I was on for 20 weeks, off for 8, and on again for like 30 weeks :D

JustinASU
06-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Saturday was my 'whatever the **** I want' day with Rick. My hammies were so ****ing sore, but I still pulled an easy 465 with no gear I know I'm good for 100 lbs more if well rested, and using a belt.

Edit: I forgot to mention--Rick hit a clean easy 405 lb deadlift on this day for the first time. Please stop by DenimDemon's journal and congratulate him!!

Deadlifts (kept these mildly light - no belt)
135x10
225x8
315x6
365x3
405x1
455x1
465x1

Rack presses
135x10
225x6
225+50 lbs chainsx1
245+50 lbs chainsx1
265+50 lbs chainsx1
285+50 lbs chainsx1
315+50 lbs chainsx1
335+50 lbs chainsx0
No gas left in the tank :(

OH pull-ups (Over several sets)
BWx45

Today was ME Lower

Squats (No belt, using wraps from 405 on)
135x10
225x6
275x3
315x3
365x3
405x3
425x1
445x1
465x1
475xalmost (I was about 2 inches short here and I leaned forward a bit too much)

GMs (No belt)
225x5
245x5
265x5
285x3
305x3

HS Shrugs
4ppsx10
5ppsx10
5ppsx10
5ppsx10
5pps+50 lbsx8

Diet today:

Meal 1 (8 am) Natty PB on ww bagel, 2 cups juice
Meal 2 (1:30 pm) 5 enchiladas with rice and beans
Meal 3 (6 pm) 2 scoops nitrean in 2 cups milk
Meal 4 (9:30 pm) 2 scoops nitrean in water w/ dextrose
Meal 5 (11 pm) 1.5 chicken breasts with rice

Also took 2 grams Vit C, vit B12, multivit, 8 gr fish oil

HILL
06-14-2006, 02:56 AM
great strength mate keep it up

RickTheDestroyer
06-14-2006, 06:59 AM
Justin- you're far too kind. I'm really glad you were there for the historic moment. Once the bench and squat come up some more I might even start entering the realm of respectability. But truly if it weren't for you I wouldn't have started deadlifting at all- hell, I'd probably still be a skinny fat 185.

I hold myself somewhat responsible for you missing that last rack press- getting sidetracked mid-workout is a bad thing. Does ill-Way know about the ist-wray? Don't tell him that I let you do that.

Also- ****ing incredible GMs.

cphafner
06-14-2006, 09:41 PM
strong looking squats Justin.

KevinStarke
06-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Awesome workouts man killer strength.

Pup
06-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Training looks great Justin...diet looks a lot better as well...the enchiladas sound damn good.

JustinASU
06-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys.

Wednesday was DE Upper:

Speed Bench
barx15
135x10
155x3
165x3 for 3 sets of rotating grips

OH pullups
BWx6
BWx6
BWx6
BW+25x4
BW+25x4
BW+25x4

Swiss Ball DB Bench
70x10
90x8
100x5 for 4 sets

CG Pulldowns
165x10
180x8
195x6
195x6

V grip pressdowns
120x10
130x10
140x8

JustinASU
06-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Today I found out that my testerone is normal, but only barely so. Testosterone ranges from 240-800. I am sitting at 361. I'm working on my anxiety problems right now, and in 2 weeks, when I go back to the doc, we may look into TRT :(

I'll post more information later since I'm at work...

HILL
06-16-2006, 02:13 PM
glad to hear your test levels arnt as bad as you thought mate. It could have been much worse. workouts are looking good keep your chin up

JustinASU
06-20-2006, 12:04 PM
I've made a decision to drop powerlifting for about 4-6 weeks. I will be focusing on a more bodybuilding style of routine, while slowly cleaning up my diet. Not that anyone is reading this....

I'll most like have 2 upper and 2 lower days. No 1RMs or even 3RMs. Shooting for 5-8 reps a set.

HILL
06-20-2006, 12:10 PM
A change wont hurt at all and may even do some good. give your body a rest from excessivly heavy powerlifting. See i pop in to see how things are going as im just starting pct so i have been following ures as ive been n for 30 weeks.

Focused70
06-20-2006, 12:14 PM
You have more fans than you realize, Justin.

Keep it up. We'll be watching. ;)

KevinStarke
06-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Nice DE day man, good luck with the bodybuilding crap you traitor.

RickTheDestroyer
06-20-2006, 02:17 PM
You'll have fun with the bodybuilding stuff. Five reps can still be plenty brutal, bro. It'll be a good change for your joints, too.

Also, will they really put you on hormone replacement therapy if you're in the normal range? Maybe I ought to get on that ****.

JustinASU
06-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Not that anyone is reading, but sorry for the lack of updates. My wrist still hurts a whole lot and my lifts are on a steady decline in weight. Low test rocks. I cant wait for Friday next week. I'm insisiting that the doc write me a script for androgel.

WillKuenzel
06-23-2006, 04:48 PM
I think the bodybuilding workout will do you good. You didn't need to be doing 1RM really anyway.

And dude, honestly, the negative attitued kills you. I know its tough to get around but the whole, "not that anyone is reading this," thing is ridiculous. Are you doing this for us or for yourself?

I know its great to have people that read and respond but this is your life, your body, your emotions. Live for yourself. This should be a record of your trials, your obstacles and your accomplishments. You're a good friend and I really want to help. You know its just tough sometimes when you don't really listen. I told you to come off along time before you did, but you, "had to finish the bottle off." Bad idea. We were trying to get you correct some of the lifting, alter your lifting patterns and change the routine. You gradually altered the routine a little bit which I believe has and will help tremendously.

I know that its tough to really change the overall attitude but you have to change your thought process as well. Drugs are wonderful, but if you still think negatively, you'll still be negative. I have another friend, in a similar situation. He basks in the negativity and it just permeates from him. Great guy, lot of fun, but just can't be around him for very long before you feel self-destructive.

Dude, I apologize, I know that I'm coming across as the brutally honest dickhead but I truly want to see things get better for you. You're a great guy, you just need a little bit more direction and positive outlook on yourself and your life. You're married, have a decent job (although you may work too many hours), live in a wonderful town, you're not deathly ill and have a ton of people supporting you no matter what you want to do. Life really isn't so bad. My wife says I'm a little overly optimistic sometimes but I have a wonderful outlook on life and it makes everyday that much better. I've been depressed, it ain't fun. I would just wallow in the filth of depression and thought it was how I was supposed to feel because all I could see was what I didn't have. One day I started looking at everything that was wonderful. I stopped to watch the moonrise and just watch the stars. I would admire the sunset or a pretty flower. It sounds corny as hell but the little things in life are the ones that can make the biggest difference. Don't beat yourself up. So you've made some mistakes and not everything is perfect. Nothing ever will be but that's no reason to give up.

You have support. I know we don't chat on the phone much but, dude, you are free to call me anytime. Just to chat. It sounds gay but the more you interact with people that support you the better off you'll be. Trust me.

Pup
06-24-2006, 06:32 AM
Couldn't have said it any better than Will did.

...the most important lesson I've ever learned is that no matter how far ahead you plan, no matter what preparations you make, life still happens one sunrise at a time. Don't get frustrated about what you can't control, live your life the best way you know how and when things start to suck, remember what you have standing beside you.

Coke
06-25-2006, 08:46 AM
I use to always enjoy reading your journal and still do, no one could beat your self-deprecating humor. I know there have been things that took place causing you to believe your life was getting out of control and going downhill but one day you will look up and see yourself moving on to a whole new level. The best thing to do in the meantime is to keep the sessions going no matter what almost like autopilot.

JustinASU
07-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Sorry about the lack of updates. My workouts have not been too wonderful as of late. Been doing a lot of moderate weight higher rep bodybuilding bull****. I will be incorporating 2 days of HIIT weight training a week starting next week hopefully. I've cleaned up nthe diet and dropped a **** ton of water weight and maybe even a lil bit 'o fat. I'd guess that I'm at 17% right now. I'm not going back and posting my ****ty workouts. They're in my mind and the weights did not matter. Tonight I had a pretty decent workout. In fact, one of the best since the accident. I'm paying the price, however. My accident injuries flared up with a vengeance. My neck, which still bothers me on almost a daily basis and my left wrist. It was still worth it.

I hit 547 on my deadlifts tonight. Haven't touched that weight since before the accident ( I think). Yeah it's still over 50 lbs from my PR, but I'm still proud of it since I'm 5 months off, after a car accident with lowered testosterone. That's one hell of a handicap.

Deadlifts (conventional)
barx20
135x10
225x8
315x6
405x3
455x1
505x1
525x1
535x1
547x1

I also tried 315 sumo style. I ****ing hate sumo style and always will.

Light ATF front squats
135x10 for 5 sets
*These were great for my weak ass core

HS Shrugs
5ppsx10 for 5 sets

cphafner
07-06-2006, 09:34 PM
sumo rules, learn to love it!

Coke
07-07-2006, 06:11 AM
Super numbers with everything...those deads are ace, paying the cost to be boss with the body aches and all.

WillKuenzel
07-07-2006, 04:34 PM
How the hell did you get 547? 545, okay. 550, yeah. 547?! What the hell? :p

Stick to the bodybuilding stuff for a while. You need to redevelop your muscular endurance. With all your previous injuries, I'd recommend backing off the heavy deads for a while, and squatting at that too. Take this time to learn how to do sumo if nothing else. Keep your squat reps above 8 reps. You need to bring back up or aerobic and anaerobic capacity. It'll do you a lot of good in the long run.

The offer still stands. We can work on your sumo form. It might not work for you as your strong stance but it can certainly be an ME exercise to rotate through.

Read through this:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/convert_to_sumo.htm
Good read on converting over to sumo. Like I said, depending on your biomechanics it might not be optimal all the time but it could be a good ME exercise to have messed around with. When I let you get back to ME work. :p

JustinASU
07-08-2006, 11:39 AM
How the hell did you get 547? 545, okay. 550, yeah. 547?! What the hell? :p

Stick to the bodybuilding stuff for a while. You need to redevelop your muscular endurance. With all your previous injuries, I'd recommend backing off the heavy deads for a while, and squatting at that too. Take this time to learn how to do sumo if nothing else. Keep your squat reps above 8 reps. You need to bring back up or aerobic and anaerobic capacity. It'll do you a lot of good in the long run.

The offer still stands. We can work on your sumo form. It might not work for you as your strong stance but it can certainly be an ME exercise to rotate through.

Read through this:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/convert_to_sumo.htm
Good read on converting over to sumo. Like I said, depending on your biomechanics it might not be optimal all the time but it could be a good ME exercise to have messed around with. When I let you get back to ME work. :p

On occasion I add in the collars to feel more special about myself. :(

I'm calling you before the weekend is out and we'll get this **** set up...

JustinASU
07-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Today: Lighter weight, higher reps

Not a ME or DE day really. Focused on form and the whole mind/muscle connection. My conditioning sucks. My strength wasn't giving out, but my endurance was terrible.

Warm-up

DB Bench
55x10
70x8
90x8
90x8
90x8
90x8
90x8

BB Row (OH grip)
135x10
185x8
225x8
225x8
225x8
225x8
225x8

HS Wide Chest Press
3ppsx10 for 4 sets

CG lat pulldowns
165x8 for 4 sets

*Lateral Raises
*V-grip pulldowns
*Machine Chest Flys

How's that look for a BB workout? :thumbup:

HeavyBomber
07-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Holy crap dude! Awesome dead lifts.

JustinASU
07-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Holy crap dude! Awesome dead lifts.

Thanks man. Means a lot coming from someone as strong as you are.

JustinASU
07-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Okay. So I'm taking a step back to re-evaluate everything.

I feel like I'm at a crossroad. If I stay along the same path I've been traveling I'm bound for gymrat-ness. I need to change my routine and re-evaluate my goals. My goals are no longer to be the heaviest, strongest lifter I can be. I need to improve my endurance, stamina, general conditioning, and strength to bodyweight ratio. I am also looking to be in the 10-12% bodyweight range before the end of October (which seems like a realistic goal coming from about 18% right now).

I will most likely be dropping in some cardio here and there ( I know--it's a bad word). I have already begun upping the reps and lowering the weight a bit in an effort to work on conditioning. I will be using supersets a lot more often and hopefully, if all goes well, Will will be helping me with two HIIT/circuit training type days per week.

I am still eating too much junk, but I've added in much more fruit and veggies. I'm taking fish oil consistently every day anywhere from 6-10 grams. A sample diet looks something like this:

meal 1: whole wheat bagel with natural PB, light juice
meal 2: Nitrean in milk
meal 3: large burger with a side salad
meal 4: Nitrean in milk
Meal 5: Chicken and rice
Meal 6: Cottage cheese and yogurt

Yesterday was an off day for me since I consumed a pizza and several beers. I will not make this a habit. I plan on have a few cheat meals a week, but that's about it. None of this crash diet/refeed bull****. I need to make healthy eating a habit, not just an activity I persue when I'm fat.

I need to come up with a better workout plan rather than simply alternating upper and lower days and going on instinct. If anyone has any input, please offer it. I will try to have a more structured routine set by the end of this week.

Anthony
07-10-2006, 12:24 PM
I plan on have a few cheat meals a week, but that's about it. None of this crash diet/refeed bull****. I need to make healthy eating a habit, not just an activity I persue when I'm fat.

More people should think like this. It's cool to get as big and strong as possible at the expense of everything else, but it's not realistic to maintain those levels without something breaking down. There are plenty of examples on this site and others (your recent post about Tate comes to mind) where people finally realize that long term progress relies on health and health relies on habits instead of temporary solutions. I think you're making a step in the right direction. And I also think that in the long run you'll surprise yourself with how much progress you continue to make AND you'll feel great. I can't speak for you, but I know that bulking and lifting with no regard for my endurance left me feeling like a bag of ****. These days I feel like I can do anything I want. And I'm still progressing ... just in a smarter way.

JustinASU
07-11-2006, 11:31 AM
More people should think like this. It's cool to get as big and strong as possible at the expense of everything else, but it's not realistic to maintain those levels without something breaking down. There are plenty of examples on this site and others (your recent post about Tate comes to mind) where people finally realize that long term progress relies on health and health relies on habits instead of temporary solutions. I think you're making a step in the right direction. And I also think that in the long run you'll surprise yourself with how much progress you continue to make AND you'll feel great. I can't speak for you, but I know that bulking and lifting with no regard for my endurance left me feeling like a bag of ****. These days I feel like I can do anything I want. And I'm still progressing ... just in a smarter way.

Anthony--I actually used you as one of the sources for my inspiration. If you can drop 20 lbs, increase your conditioning and remain as strong as always, then I can do the same. This is a really new way of thinking about the entire process. We'll see how it goes...

JustinASU
07-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Yesterday - Moderately heavy leg day

Squats below parallel ( not ATF, just a few inches blow parallel)
barx15
135x10
225x10
275x6
315x4
365x3
405x1
225x15

Good Mornings - no belt
135x10
225x5
245x5
265x5
285x3
305x1
315x1

HS Shrugs
5ppsx10 for 5 sets

Weighted situps

JustinASU
07-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Wednesday - Upper

BB Bench
barx20
135x10
185x6
225x5
245x2
245x2
245x2
245x2
245x2
225x5

None of the sets were to failure. I've been somewhat nervous on the bench as of late without a spotter, I dont know why.

HS Pulldowns
3 ppsx10
4 ppsx8 for 5 sets

Incline Bench
135x10 for 4 sets

Went light on these because I have not done them in several months. Sad considering I could incline bench 275 over a year ago. Course that was with a spotter. Before surgery or the car accident. And using Tren. Ok so there were extenuating circumstances.

DB rows
95sx10 for 4 sets

Skullcrushers
65x12 for 4 sets

JustinASU
07-13-2006, 11:54 AM
I had the worst insomnia last night. Slept for about 2-3 hours after taking: sominex, melatonin, and Tylenol PM. Could have brought down a bull elephant with that cocktail.

I still got my ass up at 6:30 to meet will at 7 am in the gym. We basically ran through more of a HIIT/bodyweight type routine that included (I'll list what I can remember--perhaps Will can help me with this)

Incline pushups, bodyweight rows, bodyweight squats, High kicks, Throwing a medicine ball around in several ways. We worked on warming up and stretching too, which are both foreign to me. This kicked my ass and I felt like puking at the end.

dblockspky
07-13-2006, 12:09 PM
nice work. nice PRs. how do you like good mornings? I was thinking about adding them to my workout on leg/core day. check out my journal if you can.

WillKuenzel
07-13-2006, 05:46 PM
We still need to focus more on stretching. One day we might not do anything but stretches, but I'm going to make you do everything you need to do but won't do on your own. :p

Nice job this morning though. You worked hard and it'll pay off. We'll have ya'll over to the new house when we finally get everything settled in.

Anthony
07-14-2006, 06:25 AM
Sounds like a good time. It's funny that Will makes you do all the things HE won't do! Hahahaha. :p

ectx
07-14-2006, 08:01 AM
hey justin, I noticed you complained about insomnia in here...how's everything else coming along...have your test levels started spiking up again? Otherwise, everything looks solid as always...damn you! LOL.

JustinASU
07-14-2006, 08:21 AM
dblockspky I dunno where you see PRs--but lemme know if you see 'em! GMs? I couldn't live without them. It's because of GMs that my hammies finally became more powerful than my quads. For those that know me that's a major accomplishment. Aside from squats and deadlifts, they're one of the best lifts out there.

Will Are you saying my stretching sucked and that I am completely inflexible? Fair enough :p But seriously, I owe you big. If you ever want to collect on the debt, let me know.

Anthony It's is a bit funny. Believe it or not, Will said he might have to start doing this horrid cardio-like workout with me.

Rene (I dunno how to use an accent...) Yeah the insomnia was the absolute worst I've ever had. Gonna talk to the doc about lunesta or ambien CR. The test...well it seemed to come back for a few weeks, but in the last 4-5 days it (meaning my libido) took a nosedive again. I got a blood test 2 weeks ago after some more clomid use. I am seeing the doc this afternoon to hear the good or bad news. If it's still sitting in the low end of normal, I know he's going to offer me TRT and for some dumbass reason he thinks TRT is not permanent. Like it's gonna kickstart my natty test :rolleyes: Anyway, if it is still low, I am asking for a referral to an endocrinologist.

RickTheDestroyer
07-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Good luck with the test levels bro... also, the Guberdouche said you're coming into town on Sunday- are we gonna lift or what?!?

WillKuenzel
07-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Sleep deprivation will play a big part on your libido. You're test levels might be creeping back up but with the lack of sleep you'd never know it. I think the lack of sleep is mostly due to your stress levels. You're very easy to get wound up and stay that way for quite a while. It might not hurt you to try and look into some relaxation techniques. Sounds cheesy as all hell but damn son, you do get worked up over the smallest little thing.

I know its easier said than done but just something else to think about if can spare to time to do it.

We'll keep working on your stretching. You evened out a whole lot once we started stretching. It might be a great way to get you to relax. We'll keep doing what we've been doing and really try to toss in some more stretching throughout the whole thing.

Keep it all up. You're making headway! Call me if you plan on going to gym this weekend. We'll hook up and train some. If not, we'll see you Tuesday morning.

ectx
07-14-2006, 06:44 PM
Sleep deprivation will play a big part on your libido. You're test levels might be creeping back up but with the lack of sleep you'd never know it. I think the lack of sleep is mostly due to your stress levels. You're very easy to get wound up and stay that way for quite a while. It might not hurt you to try and look into some relaxation techniques. Sounds cheesy as all hell but damn son, you do get worked up over the smallest little thing.

I know its easier said than done but just something else to think about if can spare to time to do it.

We'll keep working on your stretching. You evened out a whole lot once we started stretching. It might be a great way to get you to relax. We'll keep doing what we've been doing and really try to toss in some more stretching throughout the whole thing.

Keep it all up. You're making headway! Call me if you plan on going to gym this weekend. We'll hook up and train some. If not, we'll see you Tuesday morning.

Wilma beat me to the punch....if you're not sleeping your corticosteroid levels are up and suppressing your test. That may be the real part of the problem with libido.

JustinASU
07-19-2006, 03:31 PM
I just realized that I haven't dropped an update to the journal since I saw the doc.

This one is fun. I went to the doc today to get the results of my new blood test. Test levels are now 493 (up from 361 in a 2 week period). I was taking liquid clomid this entire time. The doctor says I'm fine. Super.

Then he goes on to say my free test was low (8 on a scale of 9 to 27). He said this is because of my body mass (?!?!?!?) I don't believe him. He said he talked to his endocrinologist friend and she said that she does not know how clomid would help increase natural testosterone after it has been supressed. According to the doc all it does is increase LH and FSH output. In my mind, I thought that led to an increase in testosterone. He says my clomid use has nothing to do with the raise and that he forsees it to continue upwards.

I'm so ****ING tired of this guy. He's an idiot and has proven so. Next I tell him about my sleeplessness. I ask for something like Lunesta or Ambien. He says that I dont need that. That those drugs are for people that cant sleep. I just have anxiety and I can continue taking my Klonopin at bedtime, even though a couple weeks ago he told me taking Klonopin more than 1-2 times a week is a bad thing.

I don't know what to do at this point. My free test is beyond low and the doc says that doesn't mean anything and it will not have an effect on libido. Thoughts?

EDIT: I'm also going to post this on general health so I can get a bit more exposure since I have one of the lesser visited journals. I hope you mods do not mind :)

JustinASU
07-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Sunday Workout at Rick's House 'o asscrushing:

Flat Bench with double choked mini bands
*My best guess is that the double choked mini's added about 90-100 lbs at the top of the lift.
barx10
95x5
135x5
185x5
205x1

BB Shrugs
225x15
315x12 for 3 sets

BW Pullups (OH grip)
BWx48 over several sets

Yesterday afternoon I also had another one of my 'GPP' sessions with Will. This included speed squats with bands, bodyweight lunges, heavy bag carrying along with the warm-up he had me do. It was killer to say the least.

Pup
07-20-2006, 06:35 AM
Will is like a drill-sergeant, but all the GPP will be great for you in the long run. Your doctor sounds like a moron, if Clomid doesn't increase free test, then I'd be curious to see what HCG would do...low free test is bad, your sex drive must be like nonexistant.

JustinASU
07-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Will is like a drill-sergeant, but all the GPP will be great for you in the long run. Your doctor sounds like a moron, if Clomid doesn't increase free test, then I'd be curious to see what HCG would do...low free test is bad, your sex drive must be like nonexistant.

Rob--check your PMs

Eszekial
07-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Good luck on the recovery man! We are rooting for you!

Pup
07-20-2006, 11:57 AM
I got ya back on the PM...I will do some digging for you with some of my friends to see if i can find anything else that would help resolve your issues. I applaud your patience with all of this Justin, just keep plugging along man.

JustinASU
07-21-2006, 11:32 AM
I got ya back on the PM...I will do some digging for you with some of my friends to see if i can find anything else that would help resolve your issues. I applaud your patience with all of this Justin, just keep plugging along man.

Thanks man. I appreciate your efforts.

-----

So I went ahead and started HCG therapy. I will continue for about 1.5-2 weeks and back it with nolva the entire time. I know I shouldn't be self experimenting, but I can't just sit down and let my LBM/Strength/Libido continue to be destroyed. I'll let you all know how it goes. I started with 500 IUs last night and I will continue with 250 a day for as much as I have.

Wednesday I did a bit of an upper day. Strength is terrible, but that's nothing new.

Warm-up shoulders/rotator cuff exercises
Flat BB Bench
barx15
135x10
185x6
225x5
245x1
These felt so incredibly weak. I was lacking the confidence to push more weight without a spotter ( as is the usual these days) so I moved on

Pin Presses
265x1
285x1
305x1
315x1
335x1
355x1
365x1
375xmiss
375xmiss

DB Bench on stability ball
80'sx10
100'sx5 for 5 sets

HS Pulldowns
3ppsx8 for 4 sets

CGPB (legs on bench, hands together on bar)
135x10
135x10
135x10

Thursday morning I was in the gym at 7am with Will working on some stretching. Nothing too strenuous, but I was still sweating like a fat pig at the end of the workout.

Saturday is a leg Day. One of my old lifting partners will be in town so he's coming along, which will be nice so I have a spot on squats.

Been sick the last few days so we'll see how saturday goes.

JustinASU
07-21-2006, 11:35 AM
I am also looking into tweaking my program to include more leg work. I'm thinking 3 days a week (along with the two days I am doing GPP in the mornings)
Day 1: Heavy Upper
Day 2: Heavy Lower
Day 3: Light lower/speed work

Let me know what you guys think.

WillKuenzel
07-21-2006, 01:26 PM
I think you might want to get a bit more specific than just heavy lower/upper. Fine tune the workouts to specify which movements you think you need to be working on. What are your weak points in the lifts? What areas do you need the most work? Ask yourself that then lets work on getting the program better structured.

RickTheDestroyer
07-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Hey bro- sorry I'm missing out on this weekend- I hope y'all mother****ers have a real good time. I'm doing rack pulls tomorrow, and I'll keep it in the back of my head that someday I'm going to get to roll with you guys to SC Barbell and I don't want to embarrass myself too hideously.
Also, you'll be happy to know that I got a bar with some good knurling for the next time you're in town.

Any word on teh interview yet?

JustinASU
07-27-2006, 12:21 PM
Okay so sine I'm such an ******* about keeping this thing updated, here's a synopsis of the past week:

SATURDAY - do whatever the **** I want day with Gabe
Box Squats
barx20
135x10
225x6
275x5
315x3
365x1
405x1

Decline Bench (to work on my bench form)
135x10
185x8
225x5
245x3
255x3 for 3 sets

Pull-ups
BWx50 (several sets)

MONDAY
Rack Pulls
135x15
225x8
315x5
405x5
455x1
495x1
515x1
535x1
545x1
555x1
565xmiss

Front squats
135x8
185x5 for 3 sets

Power Shrugs
Whatever

TUESDAY @ 7 AM
GPP with Will

Sweating like a fat pigx55 sets

WEDNESDAY -Upper

Decline Bench (form work)
barx20
135x10
185x6
225x5
245x5
255x3
265x3
265x3

Yate's Rows - back still fried after deads...
135x10
185x8
225x6 for 4 sets

Stability Ball DB Press
65x10
85x6
100x5 for 4 sets

HS Lat Pulldowns
3ppsx10
4ppsx8 for 3 sets

Seated Millies
Been a long damn time since I tried these...went light to be safe
135x10 for 3 sets

Dips
BWx20 (over 2 sets)

AND Saturday I'm headed to SC Barbell to hopefully train with one of the best powerlifters in the country!

JustinASU
07-29-2006, 01:54 PM
I just had a pretty amazing experience. finally got to travel up to South Carolina Barbell with Will and see some real ****ing powerlifters. It was a learning experience to say the least. Marc Bartley was present and deadlifting 600+ pounds off of a 4" box. That was his DE day. Another guy who competes at about 220 hit a 635 lb squat. It was pretty damn awe inspiring. It was a small gym, but it had everything a good gym should have and then some. It even had 2 monolifts. Marc was a beast as were the guys he was training with. No PRs (course I haven't seen a PR is almost a year), but well worth the trip.

DE LEGS
**Copied Will's journal here since he knew what the **** he was talking about lol
box squats w/ buffalo bar and chains
barx10
135x8
225x6
315x3
315x3 (w/ ~100lbs of chains at the top) 3 sets
315x3 (w/ ~150lbs of chains) 2 sets
315x3 (w/ ~200lbs of chains) 2 sets

Rack pulls
barx10
225x6
315x3
405x3
495x3
585xmiss
585xmiss
**I missed these mostly because of a massive callous on my right hand that I ripped last wednesday pulling. Dissappointing to say the least, when a small cut ruins your performance.
495x2

Reverse Hypers - no idea on weight here- 2 sets of 10

GHRs using bands - 2 sets of 10

All in all it was a pretty awesome environment. I thought I'd be imtimidated, but once you start talking to some of the guys, you learn that they're very easy going people and I felt privileged just to hang around the place. I plan on going back up as soon as I can.

WillKuenzel
07-29-2006, 02:31 PM
You did awesome, dude! I was honestly surprised at your strength. You handled those box squat pretty damn well. Lots of pop at the top. I think you just need to tweak a things a bit more with your box squat form to bring up those hamstrings a bit more. You've still very damn strong quads.

The reverse hyper had 470 on it and you were doing GHR's with the average band. Good sets.

With the rack pulls you just need to keep shaving away at those callouses so they don't build up to the point of having to tear. Lets actually start at looking to nail down a more solid routine for you. You've reached a point where you can't do the training you've been doing anymore. Lets get a bit smarter about it. You're damn strong, we just need to make sure you keep bringing up those weak points so long gets left behind on your strength journey.

Again, nice job today.

JustinASU
07-29-2006, 03:18 PM
You did awesome, dude! I was honestly surprised at your strength. You handled those box squat pretty damn well. Lots of pop at the top. I think you just need to tweak a things a bit more with your box squat form to bring up those hamstrings a bit more. You've still very damn strong quads.

The reverse hyper had 470 on it and you were doing GHR's with the average band. Good sets.

With the rack pulls you just need to keep shaving away at those callouses so they don't build up to the point of having to tear. Lets actually start at looking to nail down a more solid routine for you. You've reached a point where you can't do the training you've been doing anymore. Lets get a bit smarter about it. You're damn strong, we just need to make sure you keep bringing up those weak points so long gets left behind on your strength journey.

Again, nice job today.

Thanks bro. I'm greatful that you even thought to invite me along. I'm pissed now that I'm moving back to NC and won't get to do this too much. I felt like I was in my element today--that's why I was so relaxed. I just wish I had starting going to SCB with you earlier this year. The experience is invaluable

Sidior
07-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Glad to see things are looking up for you justin. Sounds like an awesome session.

RickTheDestroyer
07-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks bro. I'm greatful that you even thought to invite me along. I'm pissed now that I'm moving back to NC and won't get to do this too much. I felt like I was in my element today--that's why I was so relaxed. I just wish I had starting going to SCB with you earlier this year. The experience is invaluable
No you're not! :mad: :swear:
**** bitch, we'll visit. Don't worry.
Glad you had a kickass time though bro- good stuff all around.

JustinASU
07-31-2006, 08:35 PM
No you're not! :mad: :swear:
**** bitch, we'll visit. Don't worry.
Glad you had a kickass time though bro- good stuff all around.

OK...you got me. My heart is in NC, but damn we have to visit SCB as often as our budgets allow, mang.

Sidior Thanks! It was beyond awesome.

JustinASU
07-31-2006, 08:44 PM
WHY THE **** DOES MY BENCH SUCK SO GODDAMN MUCH?!? I try every week. I've worked on my form, my arch, my elbow placement. Back when I was still "bodybuilding" (and I use the term lightly since I didn't compete) I was benching well into the 300's without an arch or leg drive or anything. Now I'm lucky if I hit 300. I've tried direct tri work. I've tried focusing only on compound pressing. I know I'm not eating a lot right now, but then why are my squat and deadlift doing okay??? I know I've had the hormones of a 14 yr old girl lately, and perhaps that's part of it, but I am so ****ing stuck and I don't know what to do.

Without further ado, here's my ****ty workout. I felt rundown and horrible for no reason. Yay.

Flat BB Bench
barx20
135x6
185x4
225x3
245x3
265x2
285xmiss
245x1
255x1 This went up easy.
265xmiss What the hell??

1 arm DB Press
70x10
80x8
80x8
80x6

OH grip pull-ups
BWx49 over several sets

DB Push Press
I was really dragging ass here...

50'sx6
60'sx3 for 3 sets

Please help me :(

DGabe24
07-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Well I don't have any advice for you, but I can say I am in the same boat as you as far as benching. My sh1t's not going up either, no matter what I do :scratch: Bought a ton of Omega Thunder, maybe it will help lol who knows we'll see...placebo can be powerful as a moth3r fukcer I hear ;)

cphafner
07-31-2006, 09:50 PM
What part of your bench is your sticking point?

ectx
08-01-2006, 08:31 AM
LOL, justin, you crack me up. Relax. Sometimes the block is mental. I've hit 315 once before and it's been a far cry for me since...lifting 115 lbs less is frustrating. Sometimes you have to take several steps back to move forward though. Don't just be smart about your training...be smarter. Also, realize that all these new approaches take time. No offense meant here, but you strike me as the kind of person that wants things to happen yesterday. Just like with anything else, these changes take time to actually grab hold, but when they do it's awesome. Be patient and be smart and you'll find yourself going way beyond that 300+ lb bench. You also have wilma riding you on this. He may be really freakin' ugly but he's a good guy and a smart guy. He'll help you out. Best of luck with it. I look forward to seeing you bust things up in here.

RickTheDestroyer
08-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Hang in there bro, the bench will come up. How much DE Bench work are you doing? On this page I see a lot of ME and no DE at all. You might just be frying your CNS.
You do have very smart capable people there to help you with this as well. You'll be fine bro, just don't mind**** yourself.

JustinASU
08-01-2006, 04:26 PM
DGabe It's a very frustrating thing. Good luck with your bench numbers.

Connor It seems to be about 2-3 inches off the chest. I'll slow up there and it'll drop. Best I can figure is that's still shoulder strength. Or perhaps my leg drive sucks.

Rene No offense taken. You have me pegged. I love immediate gratification. I pray every day that I wake up at 300 lbs lean, benching 800, squatting 1000, and deadlifting 900. I know that will most likely never happen, but a guy can dream, right? I'll keep in mind your words of wisdom the next time I go to throw a temper tantrum. ;)

Reeeeek DE Bench work? what's that? :p Yeah I've been avoiding it lately. Perhaps it's time to reincorporate it some. I do not think I'm burning my CNS out because I only press heavy 1-2 times a week, but it is always a possibility.

This morning Will kicked my ass. Not literally, but the session I had with him ruined me. After doing a **** ton of heavy pressing no less than 10 hours before, I was running around the gym doing this stuff.

-Warm-up
-Light Benching (form work)
-BW Rows and push-ups suppersetted with walking lunges
-Step-ups
-Massive chest supported row drop set--which was much harder than it should have been.

Again, thanks to Will, my fat ass gets leaner by the day.

He also suggested what may be my weakness on the bench...not enough rowing. Going forward I am going to include a back/pulling motion for every chest/pressing motion in my routine focusing more and more on heavy rows. I have always had a very wide back, but as Rick knows, thickness evades me. Perhaps this will help me.

JustinASU
08-02-2006, 01:30 PM
So my ass and groin area are still sore from the lightweight walking lunges Will had me do yesterday. I've come to the sad realization that I have some serious weakpoints. I will be incorporating these into my regular routine from here on out.

That is all.

JustinASU
08-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Thursday AM

GPP work:
-Chops/side steps/front steps with medicine ball
-High steps/BW lunges
-BW push-ups off of smith machine/BW rows
-Stretching

A nice, light morning...

Tonight I'm going to do a DE squat day. my inner thighs and glutes are STILL fried since the lunges Tuesday morning, but I'm determined to get a workout in tonight.

WillKuenzel
08-04-2006, 05:32 AM
And did you do your warmup and stretches last night? Don't make me have Rene spank you.

JustinASU
08-04-2006, 10:52 AM
And did you do your warmup and stretches last night? Don't make me have Rene spank you.

I totally did my warm-up and stretches that morning with you...geeeeeze :p

I will post my workout in a couple hours, for the masses that are awaiting my next glory (yup, all 2 of you!).

Sidior
08-04-2006, 10:53 AM
make it 3 :D

Anthony
08-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Me three.

Anthony
08-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Dammit, me four!

RickTheDestroyer
08-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Ooh ooh- am I five or was I one of the first two?

JustinASU
08-04-2006, 12:02 PM
Thanks for letting me know you guys are reading :p Perhaps I should make it known that I read your journals, too.

Oh and Rick, you're #1. Will was #2. Just to be clear. :D

Last night really didn't turn out to be DE or ME. I'm such an ass and if I don't get a routine nailed down I will never get stronger. I want to be clear that my glutes and quads were still destroyed by the lunges from hell that Will had me do. I probably should have given some rest, but alas, I am too stupid and stubborn to do so.

DEMEwhatever Leg Day

Low Box Squats (raw)
barx15
135x10
225x6
315x3
405x3
425x1
425x1
425x1

High bar ATF Olympic squats (feet together)
275x6
275x6

Sumo style Deadlifts
This was my first time ever going beyond 225 using a sumo stance, so I didn't go very heavy.
225x3
315x3
405x1
425x1
455x1

Spread Eagle Situps
BW+10x10
BW+25x10 for 3 sets

I felt like **** after this workout. Too much lower body lately.

RickTheDestroyer
08-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Wait... where's the DE?
Those glutes are going to be miserable after those Sumos too bro, just FYI.
Weights look solid as always.

heathj
08-04-2006, 12:58 PM
looking strong keep it up!

WillKuenzel
08-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Toss in some pullups on days like that. Even if its just a few bodyweight ones. That way you give your lower body just a bit of time to decompress from all the squatting and deadlifting.

Was there a warmup and stretching in that workout? You know your next session will hurt like hell if there wasn't. You'll very quickly find out the meaning of HIIT if I find out your not doing your stretches and warmup. :evillaugh

ectx
08-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Crazy strength justin. LOL, part of me is wondering why you're always griping about it! LOL ;)

JustinASU
08-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Mr.Destroyer If you say the weights look "solid" it really means that your little brother could lift more than that. :mad:

Heath Thanks bro.

Will Pull-ups. Got it. Yeah I used the bar to um 'warm-up'. You could even say it was 'almost non-existant' :p

Rene Psssshh I'm weaker than a new born baby.....

.....elephant.

Anyways I'm not proud of those weights. I haven't hit a PR in about ohh...8-9 months.

JustinASU
08-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Saturday - DE Upper

So I was up in Columbia on Saturday and I had found out the day before that Will wasn't going up to SCB this weekend. I wanted to lift, but I couldn't do legs with the guys over there because I was too sore and there was a gym with 30 seconds of where I was staying. Against my better judgement, I went to this gym. As soon as I walked in, I regretted my decision (not to mention a day pass was $15). I was the largest and strongest guy there. Well no, let me change that. There was a guy that was larger than me, at least his arms were. I've never seen a guy with 23" arms ( just a guess) who had abolsutely no traps or lats. He came in and immediately began curling (on a machine) and didn't stop curling until he left the gym. So sad. He has so much potential.

Anyway, the session was average, which seems to be the status quo these days (read: no PRs whatsoever).

I tried to go heavier on my DE bench so I could get used to moving heavier weights fast. I think that's a part of my problem with my stagnating bench.

Speed Bench
barx20
135x10
185x3
225x3 for 10 sets using alternating grips

*I got into the groove and got my body very tight about halfway through these sets and the bar started to move with unprecedented speed.

BB Rows (OH grip)
135x10
185x8
225x6
245x5
245x5
245x5

DB bench on stability ball
80sx10 for 3 sets

CG Cable pulldowns
150x10
160x10
170x10
180x8
180x8

Face Pulls
110x10
120x10
120x10

RickTheDestroyer
08-07-2006, 01:35 PM
**** yeah bro, now that's what I'm talking about. I really do think that keeping that DE work in there is going pull things up for you more than you realize. That bench will be back up before you know it.
Really looking forward to having you back up here bro. I think we're going to see a new era of strength and enjoyment with the lifting, with long lines of PRs way into the future.