PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Training..

D Breyer
11-07-2005, 08:33 PM
hey guys-

I worked my ass off this summer and made the A team at my school for hockey... today we had our meeting about what we need to do to have a successful team.

The coach knows that I'm interested in training... and he asked me to write up a plan for dry-land training everyday an hour before hockey practice.

The plan can't include weights... so I was thinking things like jump squats... pushups.. and manual resistance stuff.

The plan has to include training all the major body parts...

My idea so far was:

3 sets of 25 pushups

3 sets of wall sits super-setted with:
3 sets of 15 jump squats

3 sets of manual resistance shoulder raises (8 to front 8 to side 8 rear)

maybe:
1 set MR neck flexion left x 12
1 set MR neck flexion right x 12

I can't think of anything else to fill the hour time frame... any ideas?? Thanks in advance!

-Drew

Canadian Crippler
11-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Why is he making you do this?

D Breyer
11-07-2005, 08:40 PM
hes not "forcing" me... he just asked me if i would (he doens't know very much when it comes to training) and voluntarily said that i would come up with something...

Canadian Crippler
11-07-2005, 09:12 PM
None of that stuff is going to improve anyone's game. You need strength when skating, strength when shooting, endurance, good balance, and a ****load of skill. Calisthenics are pretty useless for the sport.

f=ma
11-07-2005, 09:20 PM
so why cant it include weights?

RussianRocket
11-07-2005, 11:16 PM
you need some lateral movement, maybe side lunges with db or bb, you also need to build up your stamina, which you should have done in the off season. Like, sprint on a bike at full force for 30 - 45 seconds and rest for a minute and a half (which is usually the amout of time you have per shift and rest period) The game of hockey is all about shifts, unless your sundin and skate around the red line cherry picking. Squats, deadlifts, and basically any olympic movement would be more beneficial than push ups etc.

hoser813
11-08-2005, 09:08 AM
dont worry so much about strength because you wont be able to get much gains, work more on agility and quick feet drills (i.e. box jumps and **** like that)

Canadian Crippler
11-08-2005, 09:14 AM
There's really no point in doing off-ice skill work though. I'm beyond bad on ice skates yet pretty good on blades. If you want to be better on your feet on the ice, put on some skates and start practising crossovers and stuff.

Manveet
11-08-2005, 01:15 PM
None of that stuff is going to improve anyone's game. You need strength when skating, strength when shooting, endurance, good balance, and a ****load of skill. Calisthenics are pretty useless for the sport.

Dryland training is an EXCELLENT idea for these guys. It won't necessarily improve their on ice skill, but it will improve their conditioning, which is extremely important.

Jorge Sanchez
11-08-2005, 04:37 PM
The game of hockey is all about shifts, unless your sundin and skate around the red line cherry picking.

Not to be an ass, but "unless you're"...

But Martin Havlat is by far the worst cherry picker in the league. If he didn't play for Ottawa I would want to kick his ass (I still do sort of).

RussianRocket
11-08-2005, 08:37 PM
put figure skates on a hockey player and you'll notice the differance the first game.

RussianRocket
11-08-2005, 08:38 PM
capn crunch, didnt i give you the fighting irish hockey workout? I might start that program up again. Wont get size gains, but i'll be a better athelete.

RussianRocket
11-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Not to be an ass, but "unless you're"...

thanks for pointing out my faults :(

Deadlifter
11-08-2005, 09:26 PM
you need some lateral movement, maybe side lunges with db or bb, you also need to build up your stamina, which you should have done in the off season. Like, sprint on a bike at full force for 30 - 45 seconds and rest for a minute and a half (which is usually the amout of time you have per shift and rest period) The game of hockey is all about shifts, unless your sundin and skate around the red line cherry picking. Squats, deadlifts, and basically any olympic movement would be more beneficial than push ups etc.

I second that. Many trainees are extremely weak in the lateral plane of motion, and strong in the horizontal and vertical planes. Side, rear, and diagonal lunges are great and they can even be combined with more movements to develop more coordination. An example of this would be a lunge + dumbbell military press, or even squat + military press.

russ
11-08-2005, 09:30 PM
you guys should just do iron yoga.

balance + core = domination in sports.

D Breyer
11-08-2005, 09:30 PM
capn crunch, didnt i give you the fighting irish hockey workout? I might start that program up again. Wont get size gains, but i'll be a better athelete.
yup, i followed that for a while... it helped a TON because when i got to training with my school we were doing (suprisingly) a very similar routine. thanks again for that.

Canadian Crippler
11-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Dryland training is an EXCELLENT idea for these guys. It won't necessarily improve their on ice skill, but it will improve their conditioning, which is extremely important.Hmm, I sort of agree. I do think some sort of GPP style workouts will be very beneficial. And obviously, something like HIIT too. I however do not think trying to practice the SKILLS of Hockey off ice is a wise idea.