PDA

View Full Version : blenders

gator
11-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Dont have a blender up here in college with me, I need one for the protein shakes. Hand blenders seem easier, but is it me or does it seem like it would be a mess, it seems like there isnt a lid on the blender when you put it in the cup. Any info on these hand blenders would be good because I've never used them. Also can these things crush up ice.Thanks

Shao-LiN
11-08-2005, 12:00 AM
You don't need blenders for shakes. All you need is a simple shaker cup. If you're planning on making some sort of blend of ingredients, then yes. If that's the case, I'd personally recommend a magic bullet.

tigo
11-08-2005, 04:14 AM
shaker cups work well in college but all it blends is whey and a liquid.. no fruits or oats or anything

theyre around 3 bucks at vitaminshoppe and i also believe that WBB is coming out with some or is in the process of from a thread i read

about the ice part... eh you'll need a blender with blades and its prohibited in a dorm room. i know it sucks but i am in the same situation.. you'll get used to it.

gator
11-08-2005, 06:09 AM
Well I like the idea of putting ice in my shakes, and I dont really care if it prohibited, we get one dorm inspection a semester and we know ahead of time when it's coming. Hoever whats people opinons on the hand blenders are they messey and are they strong enough to crush ice?
Also is the magic bullet that good? I'm very cautious of buying as seen on tv products

Spartacus
11-08-2005, 10:22 AM
if you are going to use it to blend up ice, frozen fruits, or anything gooby on a regular basis, i'd invest in a good quality one; look for thick glass instead of plastic container (and large), high horsepower, sturdy, etc. get a cheap one and you'll be replacing it in 6 months. a good one lasts (my parents have the same one they got whne they got married)

gator
11-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Allright Thanks thats basically all i wanted to know.

PoutineEh
11-08-2005, 03:04 PM
MAGIC BULLET BLENDER! i cant live without this thing. i live in a college dorm as well and have to clean it out in the community bathroom. it is so small and takes 2 minutes to clean up. you just need soap and a toothbrush (i like to use a sponge with a handle that dispenses soap instead of a rag) and its clean. i use it at night before i go to bed. i make my PWO shake and put that into an empty kirkland plastic water bottle and then i make my pre bed muscle milk using the same glass. very few parts to the magic bullet blender which makes it easy to clean.

easily worth the cost of it and you can make really good shakes (i usually snag a banana from the cafeteria for my shakes) and you dont have to worry about getting chunks like in a shaker bottle etc. Good for mixing a peanut butter protein shake too.

it is awesome!

costs a ton more than a little shaker bottle, but i would say its worth it. id buy it 5 times over. you can also use it to make other "mixed drinks" if your into that sort of thing.

http://www.infomercialcentral.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=77
i didnt buy it from there. just using it so you guys can look at it

gator
11-08-2005, 03:17 PM
Two concerns with the magic bullet.

1. Its only 200 wats i believe so is it strong enough to crush ice?

2. Capacity to hold liquids, I've heard some people saying they have to make 2 shakes because it doesn't hold much.

smalls
11-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Just get a regular blender, you can get em for 15$.

Shao-LiN
11-08-2005, 07:40 PM
My brother crushes ice just fine with it. The cups aren't all that big I'll admit, they'll hold about 16 oz. of liquid in them more or less, but you can also purchase the blender attachment for it if you need to blend something bigger.

PoutineEh
11-10-2005, 05:59 PM
yea tthe magic bullet can crush ice real well. i love adding ice to my muscle milk. for some reason it makes it taste that much better.
ill admit, the cups are pretty small, but i do have 1 large cup that holds two 30g scoops of protein along with two 30g scoops of dextrose, a banana, and water. it fills to almost the top when i do that, but it is enough and i can then pour it into a empty 16.9oz. kirkland water bottle.
try looking on ebay. they seem to be around 40 bucks or so. i couldnt deal with a blender cause there are more parts to clean and it is unecessarily huge usually for shakes. the magic bullet i think is perfect for college dorm students who dont have access to a dishwasher etc. you just have to wash the cup and the blade and your done