PDA

View Full Version : A couple beef questions

crazyaoshi
11-08-2005, 08:27 AM
I tried first searching for this info but couldn't find anything, so here we go.

1. I remember reading here awhile ago that you should try to eat beef once a day. Do you agree? And if so, is there any special reason? If I recall correctly, it was for the natural creatine that's of a higher level in beef than say, chicken. But if I am supplementing my diet with creatine powder anyway, then my body shouldn't care if it's fed beef protein or chicken or tuna or anything else.

2. Ever since I started lifting, I almost always boil my beef when I cook it. Maybe it's just for peace of mind, but even if I buy lean beef [I tend to buy flank] it produces some greasy brown foam when boiled long enough. Now I don't boil it to the point of being tough, but I assume this brown foam is fat. When I calculate my calories, I always do so using the info for the raw meat because I don't know what happens when you boil it. Anyone know? If I'm losing protein or other nutrients I'll stop boiling it. But honestly I'm tired of eating beef everyday I lift, it's higher calorie plus it's not terribly cheap.

Thanks for any info.

LovinLiftin
11-08-2005, 09:38 AM
I eat mainly chicken everyday... however I have been told to eat beef more often when I was anemic for the iron in red meat that isn't in chicken... as for boiling I have no idea, i usually fry or grill it.

HILL
11-08-2005, 02:50 PM
As for your first point im not sure i know as lovinliftin has said there are many good things in beef and other meats and i think your right in saying their is higher creatine levels in beef compared to other food.

2. i used to george forman alot of my meat and still do some meat but prefer to fry gamon and beef etc as it has a nicer tatse and really isnt much different health wise in my opinion

Built
11-08-2005, 02:55 PM
You don't NEED beef, but it's a great source of protein, iron, creatine, and natural saturated fat provided you don't boil it all out (yuck!)

Why don't you want this fat? Natural saturated fat is good for test production. And there's not a TON of it in flank steak.

I broil it to rare with bbq sauce, and slice it against the grain when I do up flank steak. Totally yummy

crazyaoshi
11-08-2005, 06:12 PM
As usual, Built comes through with the info I was waiting for, thanks. I'll stop boiling. I buy flank steak that is supposed to be used for yakiniku [Japanese/Korean style bbq] but I dont have a bbq. So I'll try just frying it in the pan. It did kind of break my heart to boil it, as yakiniku tastes so much better than boiled beef imho.

As for why I am reluctant to eat the beef fat, I fear it is cholesterol vs healthy fat. But 200g of beef flank/day's worth of saturated fat shouldn't hurt. I raised my fat intake a considerable amount recently, adding olive oil to my veggies, eating avocados and mixed nuts and avg. 1 egg/day so fat is no problem.

One other reason I was worried about beef is because of what olympic hammer thrower Koji Murofushi said. He was 30 years old when he said it [last year] but he said that his doctors told him not to eat so much red meat. I think he's in great shape, I'd love to someday have a body like his. And if he, an olympic gold medalist who must train 100X as hard as I do shouldn't eat much red meat, I thought I shouldn't either. Here's a picture.

http://www.jacom.or.jp/agrbis00/news04/agur101n04060102.html

Anyway like I said, I take supplementary creatine and multivitamins, so I won't worry about eating beef everyday. Thanks again.

Isaac Wilkins
11-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Beef is also an excellent source of B-vitamins, which can be lacking in many diets that do not include red meat.

Do not be all that concerned with dietary cholesterol unless you have a cholesterol problem. Dietary cholesterol only makes up about 10-20% of total cholesterol. Many people on very high cholesterol diets have excellent lipid profiles. Factors like exercise, genetics, other chemicals, smoking, fiber intake, and carbohydrate intake can all affect cholesterol.

Only be concerned about beef fat in the scheme of overall fat intake. It is an excellent source of saturated fat, which you need some of for hormone production.

Built
11-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Try broiling it and slicing it across the grain. BBQ sauce, teriyaki sauce, dry rub - anything to season it is lovely.

Cool it rare to medium rare, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then slice it against the grain and it's gonna be wonderful.

Natural cholesterol and saturated fat IS healthy fat in reasonable quantities.

And I used to have high cholesterol, so I know where you're coming from here, but it's low now, and I eat beef, butter and egg yolks on a daily basis.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-08-2005, 06:34 PM
I broil it to rare with bbq sauce, and slice it against the grain when I do up flank steak. Totally yummyThought this was interesting:

Health risks of heterocyclic amines

Common cooking procedures such as broiling, frying, barbecuing (flame-grilling), heat processing and pyrolysis of protein-rich foods induce the formation of potent mutagenic and carcinogenic heterocyclic amines. These same compounds produce tumors at multiple organ sites in both mice and rats. One example of these induced tumors has also been seen in nonhuman primates. Risk assessment for the human population consuming these compounds requires the integration of knowledge of dosimetry, metabolism, carcinogenic potency, and epidemiology. When this integration is done in even a preliminary way as is done here, the range of risk for an individual from these compounds is enormous. Exposure contributes a range of 200-fold or more and metabolism and DNA repair differences among individuals could easily be an additional 10-fold between individuals. This indicates that differences in human cancer risk for heterocyclic amines could range more than a thousandfold between individuals based on exposure and genetic susceptibility.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9202736&query_hl=1
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9202736&query_hl=1

Built
11-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Oh, I know, I know... :rolleyes:

I just don't CARE. It's delicious.

;)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-08-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm surprised people don't just crawl up into a fetal position and die with all this "everything is bad for you" crap.

bigsethmeister
11-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Try broiling it and slicing it across the grain. BBQ sauce, teriyaki sauce, dry rub - anything to season it is lovely.

Cool it rare to medium rare, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then slice it against the grain and it's gonna be wonderful.

Yes! This is how I do it too. Delicious.

I also often marinate it overnight in soy sauce, vinegar, and teriyaki seasonings. Then broil for about 6 or 7 mins per side. :thumbup:

reeffish
11-09-2005, 01:51 PM
I tried first searching for this info but couldn't find anything, so here we go.

1. I remember reading here awhile ago that you should try to eat beef once a day.

I wouldn't try to eat it every day but I would try and have some in my diet. There are lots of different types of meat and they tend to over different things. Chicken is great but beef offers iron and fat and all the other things already mentioned that chicken doesn't.

Variety is good. I wouldn't try and stick to any one kind of anything whether it is meat or vegetables or fruit. A wide variety of healthy foods will complement each other and keep meal time from becoming boring.