PDA

View Full Version : Power clean VS Good morning ?

Ji Yang
11-08-2005, 07:56 PM
I think their are pretty similar. If I'm doing clean, can I ignore the good morning and assume my waist was well trained in clean?

My problem is, if I do them both in the one lower body day, I'll over train; If I put them in separate days, they'll affect each other

Miker
11-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Maybe its me.. but I don't think Power Cleans and Good Mornings are similar at all.

MixmasterNash
11-08-2005, 09:26 PM
The hip extension is similar, and if the good mornings are done explosively, they're sort of close, but the power clean is triple point extension, but the good morning is not.

Do half as many sets of both, or alternate by week, if you want.

Pats Fan
11-09-2005, 07:16 AM
Definitely not the same - however, the power clean will hit the hammies (as well as the rest of the posterior chain), including middle and upper back. Good mornings will hit hammies and lower back - if you choose one, do power cleans - but both is not a bad idea. Personally, I like RDLs vs. good mornings - less pressure on the spinal column.

ovlifter
11-09-2005, 09:48 AM
i will always choose good mornings over the power clean. i just feel that i get more out of them then i do withs cleans

Pats Fan
11-09-2005, 10:11 AM
i will always choose good mornings over the power clean. i just feel that i get more out of them then i do withs cleans

They are not mutually exclusive - you can do both.

FortifiedIron
11-11-2005, 06:13 PM
They arnt the same and they wont really effect either one. If you a lower level PL or strength athlete utilize both of them. If your a competitive powerlifter drop the PC if you have pulling troubles.. especially with the bar getting in front of you. They are great to do during off-season work but not when training for a meet.

Kc

SalahG
11-12-2005, 11:49 PM
They arnt the same and they wont really effect either one. If you a lower level PL or strength athlete utilize both of them. If your a competitive powerlifter drop the PC if you have pulling troubles.. especially with the bar getting in front of you. They are great to do during off-season work but not when training for a meet.

Kc
Ditto, it's a great lift to offer variation in the offseason, but when preparing for a meet you should look to specialize.

Newfie D
11-15-2005, 02:56 PM
I think their are pretty similar. If I'm doing clean, can I ignore the good morning and assume my waist was well trained in clean?

My problem is, if I do them both in the one lower body day, I'll over train; If I put them in separate days, they'll affect each other

Ji Yang, this may help you somewhat...it's an old bill starr article.

http://www.americanpowerliftevolution.net/New%20Folder%201969/dlapproach1.html

[[[----]]]
11-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Can someone post a link showing how to do good mornings?

tigo
11-15-2005, 11:24 PM
love love LOVe cleans

Nongan
11-15-2005, 11:45 PM
i hate doing cleans, but they work so much of your body that i do them anyways. They are great for alot of your body, so I'll choose them over good mornings anytime.

Newfie D
11-16-2005, 06:14 PM
]]']Can someone post a link showing how to do good mornings?

http://www.midwestbarbell.com/videos.htm

scroll down a little...there are many varieties as you can see. i do arched back ssb gm's myself.

Ji Yang
11-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Hi Newfie D ,

Thank you but the weblink doesn't work...

Newfie D
11-17-2005, 11:16 AM
it's working for me. i tried both real player & windows media player & both worked....maybe try it again. if you mean the link i provided that worked for me too.