PDA

View Full Version : what to eat after a workout?

Jay-X
11-09-2005, 10:29 AM
i can't have post-workout shakes, what is best to eat immediately after lifting? i have these choices:

tuna
milk
eggs
sausages
nuts
cheese

which one is preferable and why?

[[[----]]]
11-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Do you have any whey protein? Whey protein in water and some simple carbs.

Anthony
11-09-2005, 10:31 AM
All of the above.

Most people are going to tell you to have a fast acting protein (whey) and high GI carbs (dextrose). It might be ideal, but it certainly isn't necessary. Just eat and don't worry about the little details until you reach a stage where they actually make a difference. Like when you go pro. ;)

Jay-X
11-09-2005, 10:49 AM
All of the above.

Most people are going to tell you to have a fast acting protein (whey) and high GI carbs (dextrose). It might be ideal, but it certainly isn't necessary. Just eat and don't worry about the little details until you reach a stage where they actually make a difference. Like when you go pro. ;)

i think i won't be a pro for a long time, since i'm only 150lbs at 5'9;)

at this stage, it doesn't matter what kind of food i eat, as long as it contains proteins, anthony?

Anthony
11-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Well, the kind of food you eat still matters, but at this stage you probably won't notice a difference between a "perfect" post workout meal and a normal meat and potatoes meal. Make sense?

Jay-X
11-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Well, the kind of food you eat still matters, but at this stage you probably won't notice a difference between a "perfect" post workout meal and a normal meat and potatoes meal. Make sense?

yes, thank you very much, i'm gonna eat something:)

anasthetic
11-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Maybe the paticular kind of carbs aren't crucial for a beginner, but it is extremely helpful to be taking in some kind of carbohydrates PWO.

Built
11-09-2005, 05:49 PM
I rarely bother with fast carb and protein shake post workout because it makes me hungry and I generally prefer to chew my food. That being said, I make sure my pre-workout nutrition is in order by eating a (solid) protein and carb meal about an hour before I lift. A little fat in the pre-workout meal is fine, but I try to keep at least the first meal post-workout pretty low-fat so it digests a bit more quickly. Something as simple as chicken on rice, or chicken noodle soup (one of my favourite post-workout meals – water, salt, fast carb, protein, lowfat…) works really well for post-workout nutrition.

HILL
11-10-2005, 03:57 AM
I stick with liquads pre workout as if i eat within 2 hours before my workout i feel sick during training so ill have protein and carb shake. Also afterwards im usually real hungry so i prefer to have real food