PDA

View Full Version : If you were 30%+ bodyfat...

Y0yo
11-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Would you:

A. Drop your maintenance cals by about 10 percent and lift heavy, the readjust as needed?

B. Drop your cals to 1800~2000 and lift heavy?

Reasons why?

Canadian Crippler
11-10-2005, 07:58 AM
A, since the numbers in B don't apply to everyone.

Anthony
11-10-2005, 08:02 AM
Reduce slowly. It will prevent your body from freaking out and crashing your metabolism.

ShockBoxer
11-10-2005, 08:12 AM
I WAS 30% and I increased to a consistant 1800 instead of bouncing between days that were 400 and days that were 3000. Then I started WBB1.

Now I'm 20%.

HILL
11-10-2005, 08:22 AM
If the person was a weighlifter and had been training for a while i would say A so he could keep hold of some muscle. If the person hadnt i would go with B but adjust accordingly with refeeds and what not so your metabolism doesnt crash as anthony said

Y0yo
11-10-2005, 08:28 AM
A, since the numbers in B don't apply to everyone.

The goal of this person would be to lose weight while maitaining as much muscle mass as possible while trying to reduce bf. I understand that with maintenance, bulking and cutting cals that everyone is different, but I was under the impression that someone with such a high bf% would benifit from a big decrease.

So if you take a 300lbs guy, 30%bf, he would have a better chance at losing weight (Bf) with the situation in A. than in B.

Geeper
11-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Honestly... I've done it... and if I had to do it again I don't know what I would do...
-I know I would start eating clean ASAP instead of later in my weight loss
-I'd track everything, every cal, every rep, every hour on the treadmill so I'd know what worked for me sooner
-I'd do some cardio almost everyday and I'd skip the hours I wasted on elliptical machines and bikes, for ME, running and jogging is VERY effective
-I'd cheat every Sunday
-I'd get as many options, as much advice and take any help I could get instead of thinking I could do it alone (it was a lonely road with too many mistakes)
-I'd actually get a check up from the Dr before I started (would have saved me the first year where nothing changed because of my thyroid disease)
-I probably would focus on weight loss and then on adding muscle after the weight was under control and save a lot of frustration

I'm sure there's more but that's just what I would have done differently off the top of my head... well, maybe not... who knows, but it's a few things to think about

Y0yo
11-10-2005, 08:59 AM
@Geeper, good post.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what kind of advice I can give, and back it up with fact. I know that it's optimal for your average person looking to get into shape and add muscle to do A. but I wondered what it would take for someone at the other end of the spectrum who is obese. WBB1 is a great routine, but there are still some exercises that can't be done IMO. Dips are the first that come to mind, unless you do assisted dips. Anyway, just trying to get an idea.

Unreal
11-10-2005, 05:25 PM
When I was fat and new to weights, the fat dropped like no other. I averaged 10lbs a month for almost a year without tracking calories or doing anything special. Just ate clean. No sugar, lower carbs, high protein. Now if I could go back, I would have put ALOT more effort into lifting heavy. Would have started deads/squats alot sooner, or focued on compound lifts.

I've gone from well over 30% to ~12-13%.

Built
11-10-2005, 05:37 PM
At 30% bodyfat, a 20% deficit would be fine - along with heavy lifting and a cheat meal/day/weekend every few weeks.

Track like a FIEND - you really want to know what's working, and what isn't.

dw06wu
11-11-2005, 11:55 PM
I know a lot of it was muscle when I lost about 60lbs, but when I got down to 209 I sure had an amazing sense of accomplishment. Looking back on it, my extreme measures got me the results that I needed to stick with it, but I think that a more controlled form of diet and proper exercise would have benefited me a lot more.

Spartacus
11-12-2005, 01:46 AM
if your're a fatass, you can afford to drop calories very low, and get to a normal bodyfat quickly, the only downside being that you don't learn proper eating for long-term maintnace.

fat2fit
11-12-2005, 07:27 AM
surely the number of cals depends onlean mass etc. not bf%. When you say 30% that could be a big 300lb guy, or a flabby 180lb. Eating 2000 cals a day is way to much for the second case and probably not enough for the first.

Y0yo
11-12-2005, 08:44 AM
surely the number of cals depends onlean mass etc. not bf%. When you say 30% that could be a big 300lb guy, or a flabby 180lb. Eating 2000 cals a day is way to much for the second case and probably not enough for the first.

A 300lbs person with 30% bf and a 180 preson with 30% bf would have different LBM for sure. But when maitaining the mass and loosing the fat, would it be benifitial for either to go into a major deficit and then gradually add calories when the time came. Or would it be wiser to just start off that way and lose it slowly.

I only ask because people who are fit rarely ask me this, it's people who are that do. "Should I eat clean but just a little less or should I drop a large part of my daily intake?" I never know which is better. I know they want to lose weight, but at the same time keep the LBM and set themselves up for more mass.

SalahG
11-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Slowly lower the calories. As you lose fat keep lowering the calories. I always liked to go 10x my bodyweight in calories during a cut, and every 10 pounds of fat lossed I would recalculate my calories.